The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 6, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #83,027 of 87,699
I think there's something to say for both strategies. Personally I would agree with your take to use a cable that tones down the treble. But I've read plenty of reports where bright(er) IEMs were liked best with bright(er) cables as the synergy can be amazing. I can absolutely see that some brighter cables do deliver much much more than just brightness, and if you fall for those other qualities brightness would be the least of your worries as apparently you're not allergical to it based on the choice of the IEMs in the first place. In this case for those fans 1+1=3, while for us 1+1=0. Both valid.

drftr
Wow, never really thought of this aspect. 🙏

Mar 6, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #83,028 of 87,699
Well, I have many different iems that I love and live with, and I can very easily discern the difference between them a lot better than if I just tried them for five minutes
I can't disagree with that. It you love it, it becomes even better.

Mar 6, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #83,029 of 87,699
How many IEMs do y’all usually run?

There’s a local seller with a reasonable deal on a U12T and I’m tempted but I don’t know if it’ll provide enough of a difference to my current combo of IER Z1R and Soranik Basilica (custom) to be a good value.

Mar 6, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #83,030 of 87,699
For the life of me I don't understand what "note weight" means...:thinking:
Let me give it a try, hoping that others will add/correct:

Note weight is the way one single isolated note stands out and can be described. A good example is a note played on the keyboard (striking the exact tone you want but coming across a bit flat and 2 dimensional), vs the same note on a piano (again striking the exact tone you want but adding more life, timbre, reverb in different ways, et cetera).

Note weight makes that single note more lifelike; almost as a living thing of its own. Think BA bass vs DD bass. Or the more ethereal treble of EST vs slightly thicker BA treble.

Note weight is not necessarily a quality label, but I can never have too much of it, as it fills in the contours of a shape or, here, the tone.

drftr

Mar 6, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #83,031 of 87,699

IMG_2329.jpg

It can have various meanings to different people 🙂. For me in that context both amps (PB5 and Mass Kobo 475) are full and corporeal sounding giving instruments like kick drums a "weight" to it when it hits.

With 475, the notes have harder, more aggressive attack (because it has more sub boost / treble energy) while PB5 has more mid bass / low liquid mids giving kickdrums a smoother cushion-y delivery.

The opposite would be colder less bassy amp like Sinfonia that gives kick drums a lighter, snappier "thud" comparitively.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 1:58 AM Post #83,032 of 87,699

There’s a local seller with a reasonable deal on a U12T and I’m tempted but I don’t know if it’ll provide enough of a difference to my current combo of IER Z1R and Soranik Basilica (custom) to be a good value.

In a way it depends how much you enjoy the IER-Z1R ...
On my side I have tried a lot of IEMs ... Since 2018 .. I am more or less back every time to my absolute sound quality and comfort reference combo NW-WM1A & IER-Z1R.
Maybe, if one day Sony thinks a IER-Z1RM2 is worth to be sold, I think I will switch to a 5K or more combo like NW-WM1ZM2 + IER-Z1RM2.

I have to say, I will never buy an IEM over 3K€ from any "lonely eastern artisan" even if those IEM are full of gold, titanium or any jewel on it .. as for me it's a none sense to spend such money on an IEM. I have done it for Headphones and IEM (Ultrasone Ed15, Vision Ears Ext, ...), even with those on my shelf, I am not really convinced it's worth the value as for less than 2K some HEDDphone and Z1R are already really enjoyable though there are some room for comfort improvement with HEDD.

So till now I mostly take care of what "big firms" with real and long term renown research centres like Sony, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Yamaha are producing => they fix more or less the "reasonable price" to cover some true high end research cost.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 2:35 AM Post #83,033 of 87,699

Note weight is the way one single isolated note stands out and can be described. A good example is a note played on the keyboard (striking the exact tone you want but coming across a bit flat and 2 dimensional), vs the same note on a piano (again striking the exact tone you want but adding more life, timbre, reverb in different ways, et cetera).

Note weight makes that single note more lifelike; almost as a living thing of its own. Think BA bass vs DD bass. Or the more ethereal treble of EST vs slightly thicker BA treble.

Note weight is not necessarily a quality label, but I can never have too much of it, as it fills in the contours of a shape or, here, the tone.

drftr
Love this! I could not have described it better! From the perspective of a person playing a musical instrument, for example the violin, it would be the volume (not just the amount but also the expressiveness) of a particular note that will be affected by the pressure of the bow on the string and the intensity of the vibrato. It is almost like leaning into the note so that it sounds like it is filling up the room. But in terms of music playback from transducers, I do like how Joop has described it!

Mar 6, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #83,034 of 87,699
I planned to throw the Cardas Clear on Raven to give it a fighting chance because that stock is kinda bleh.

But the mids are gonna be hard to beat on Bird. Ofc there's also the chance they team up and toss my Rn6, M4 and Est out the door
Looks like M4 and RN6 are in big trouble 🤭

Mar 6, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #83,035 of 87,699
@drftr pretty much nailed it, IMO. Note weight is essentially how physical, tactile or corporeal an instrument seems based on how it sounds through the IEM (or headphone or source or what-have-you). When note weight is low, instruments will seem two-dimensional, meek and frail. I use the words floaty and ethereal a lot, and that's usually to describe this very thing; without good note weight, it'll seem like you're listening to holograms or "ghosts" of instruments, rather than instruments themselves. With vocalists, it'll seem like you're only listening to their mouths rather than their chests and diaphragms too, if that makes sense. Good note weight is required to sell live instruments and make them seem like they're legitimately there playing in the track. It's also crucial for bass drops or drum hits; the heavier something is, the harder it hits.

You can achieve note weight in several different ways. The easiest is to bump up the low-mids or mid-bass as @drftr was implying, but that's a faux sort of weight, just like how pushing treble gives you faux detail. It's adding fat, rather than muscle. Notes will feel meatier, but you're also potentially introducing a veil or woolliness, which hurts clarity. The way most flagship IEMs add weight nowadays is actually driver selection, I think. I'm reminded of IEMs like the Fei Wan, where, despite its U-shaped tuning, it possesses a great deal of midrange weight because of, I assume, the quality of its drivers and how they were optimized by Aroma's crossover design. High treble extension is also crucial in defining the space for notes to exist and exhibit their weights in, but, then again, treble extension is crucial in like every single technical aspect of an IEM. :D

Hahaha...I think it is related to dynamics but this is a slippery slope my friend ...good luck figuring it out 😜
Dynamics don't affect a note's weight, really. But, a note's weight does affect dynamics. Again, if you have a weighted bass, drops and thumps will hit a lot harder and feel bouncier. A weighted midrange will also make instruments feel more present and there, so you'll feel more impact when, say, a snare cracks, or horns stab, or electric guitars chug, etc. So, note weight is absolutely crucial for an IEM to have great dynamics. Lightweight (or delicate) and punchy don't go together.

I’ve been away from the Watercooler thread for a while. Can someone direct me to anything that has been previously posted about the Elysian Pilgrim? Thank you.
Apart from what @deep2285 has said, as of last Potafesu, I've also heard it's set to be priced around (or below) $500. :)

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 3:45 AM Post #83,036 of 87,699

In a way it depends how much you enjoy the IER-Z1R ...
On my side I have tried a lot of IEMs ... Since 2018 .. I am more or less back every time to my absolute sound quality and comfort reference combo NW-WM1A & IER-Z1R.
Maybe, if one day Sony thinks a IER-Z1RM2 is worth to be sold, I think I will switch to a 5K or more combo like NW-WM1ZM2 + IER-Z1RM2.

I have to say, I will never buy an IEM over 3K€ from any "lonely eastern artisan" even if those IEM are full of gold, titanium or any jewel on it .. as for me it's a none sense to spend such money on an IEM. I have done it for Headphones and IEM (Ultrasone Ed15, Vision Ears Ext, ...), even with those on my shelf, I am not really convinced it's worth the value as for less than 2K some HEDDphone and Z1R are already really enjoyable though there are some room for comfort improvement with HEDD.

So till now I mostly take care of what "big firms" with real and long term renown research centres like Sony, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Yamaha are producing => they fix more or less the "reasonable price" to cover some true high end research cost.

The company website appears incomplete / a work in progress, how do we know this model will cost 3k are they posting on social media? (I can believe they want to charge 3k). The website also says they have been around since 2012, keeping a small business going for that long is not a bad effort

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #83,037 of 87,699
thanks very much for the detailed explanation.
I sometimes feel the treble of APX is a bit too bright, so silver cable may not be very ideal.
The Shiragone ultimate 4w is a top class world cable. You will miss a lot if you think it is just a silver cable.
Even I have my EA Centurion ❤️, I think about to buy one Shirogane soon.

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #83,038 of 87,699

drftr

Good description. You soon know if note weight is lacking as it's an important factor in getting a sense of realism and listening satisfaction.

Mar 6, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #83,039 of 87,699

They're very different and complementary IEM's in many ways.

Both have an analytical/ forward top end, but U12T is more linear and clean whereas Z1R is more exciting and dynamic.

A good musically exciting set + a good reference monitor - could have your bases covered. It was an endgame duo for a long while for many here.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 6, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #83,040 of 87,699
I think I'm going to sell my EE Odins. I know I'll lose my ass on them but the Monarch MKIIIs and my DUNUs are mostly indistinguishable...not gonna pull the trigger yet, but certainly considering it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back