The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 5, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #83,011 of 88,552
Yep, +1!

That's what I somehow meant, among other things, by "texture", "granity" and "micro-dynamics".
I hear Anni to have very good detail, texture, micro-dynamics in its own right. But then I listen to Erebus or Fei Wan, and those are another caliber of detail retrieval. And technical ability. I'm sure there are others like Jewel where this could be said. I don't think being the "best" at any one attribute makes it an inferior IEM though. Anni 23 is fantastic in so many ways, not just treble.

Mar 5, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #83,012 of 88,552
Mar 5, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #83,013 of 88,552
Does anyone in LA happen to have a 4.4 cable with Elysian connectors they could spare me for the week?

I got some Elysian monitors in without cables, and I'd like to borrow a cable to get some listening time on them.

I forgot they weren't standard 2 Pin or MMCX.

Mar 5, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #83,014 of 88,552
20240305_194321.jpg
Bird fight bird fight.

Only one is making it

Mar 5, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #83,016 of 88,552
PB5 Osprey - First Impressions Part 2:

Stepped Attenuator: When I read about PB5 having a stepped attenuator I was wary since my experience with 320 Max' volume control wasn't the greatest.

Screenshot_20240304-195135_Instagram.jpg

While adjusting the volume knob, the L/R channels would cut out creating a jarring moment during the transition. With dynamically strong iems that would force me to make frequent adjustments, it would take me out of the engagement with my music.

IMG_2307.jpg

While PB5 is also using a stepped attenuator, it seems more tolerable. The travel distance seems better and there seems to be a healthy amount of "clicks" which each step gradually increases the volume. It's also nice to see that the volume knob feels robust.

IMG_2311.png

OG Tsuranagis knob was on the hand flimsy side. Another thing that bugged me was instead of a gradual rise in volume, audible volume would significantly ramp up in the 3-4 O-clock position above giving a smaller margin of room to work with being either quiet or loud.

Design:​

Screenshot_20240304-201612_Instagram.jpg

One of the things I found neat about N8ii was a cut out with its case to show Nutubes glow.

IMG_2298-1.jpg

PB5s case is a lighter green compared to N8iis darker turquoise. PB5 has a deeper case cut with all 4 tubes showing near the input, output and volume knob.

IMG_2292.jpg
The case is held together by velcro detachable from the side.

IMG_2291.jpg
PB5 - Built in rechargable batteries

IMG_2312.png

Compared to 475, the on / off switch and gain switch is on the opposite side of the volume knob. An advantage PB5 has over 475 is this makes it toggle-able without having to open the metal slider.

PB5 also has a USB-C behind the volume knob so for long listens, I could charge it with a battery pack so I can listen without the cable protruding out from the front. 475 and Sinfonina runs off removeable I personally don't find to this to be a con because I usually have reserve batteries on hand to swap out.

Sound Impressions:
IMG_2309.jpg

TGX Desolation Sound: Off Hiby R6Pro2 solo, Desolation Sound is a slightly bass boosted neutral Adding PB5 in pre, I get a substancial warmth and texture added to the signature. There's a substancial rise to the mid bass and lower mid quantity. Lana Del Reys voice is sweeter more euphonic. No complaints about staging. Coming from R6P2, it expands in all directions. The imaging is immersive. The reverbs and echos become more pronounced. This type of holographic immersion reminds me of my N30 demo.

Pairing: ✅️ This is a fantastic pairing giving the mids more liquidity and the bass more bounce.

Fir XE6 (Red Module, Ode To Laura): As some of you are aware, I like to configure XE6 with the leanest and most dynamic configuration. XE6 has a warm W shape. With mass Kobo 475 and R6P2, it becomes more of a V shape (while still remaining a W), leaning out the mid bass and inserting treble energy.

Pairing: ❌ While I liked what it did to the staging, adding PB5 in pre made XE6 sound too thick and smooth.

Mass Kobo 475 vs Ibasso PB5:

IMG_2313.png

Using the same two transducers as a comparison, what both amps had in common was note weight, summit fi staging (relative to daps) with PB5 being slightly deeper and 475, wider. While both amps added low end, PB5 is more mid bass leaning while 475 had more sub bass. PB5 is a thicker, mid forward, flatter sound with smoother highs. 475 is more V shaped with more aggressive attack, treble bite. Overall, I am finding PB5 to move transducers towards a more natural tonality while 475 is detail and dynamics focused.
For the life of me I don't understand what "note weight" means...:thinking:

Mar 5, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #83,017 of 88,552
I know which one took the victory for me in this battle. Enjoy!
I planned to throw the Cardas Clear on Raven to give it a fighting chance because that stock is kinda bleh.

But the mids are gonna be hard to beat on Bird. Ofc there's also the chance they team up and toss my Rn6, M4 and Est out the door

Mar 5, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #83,018 of 88,552
I planned to throw the Cardas Clear on Raven to give it a fighting chance because that stock is kinda bleh.

But the mids are gonna be hard to beat on Bird. Ofc there's also the chance they team up and toss my Rn6, M4 and Est out the door
Whatever works for you.

Owning both would be ying and yang in my opinion. They are so close but where they separated themselves made them complimentary.

Mar 5, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #83,019 of 88,552
Curb Your Enthusiasm has been pretty damn funny so far this season.

RIP Richard Lewis though.

Mar 5, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #83,020 of 88,552
Got up to get some coffee, came back, left one was on the floor shattered and cat was looking at me like; "what are you looking at?". It hurt. lol
20240227_075525.jpg
Cats are self obsessed a holes and I dig em. They also love to relocate things on tables to the floor. Hope you have a happy ending

Mar 5, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #83,021 of 88,552
Curb Your Enthusiasm has been pretty damn funny so far this season.

RIP Richard Lewis though.
I just noticed that Carol Leifer (the real Elaine) has writing credits for this season. She wrote, among other things, The Understudy and The Rye for Seinfeld.

Mar 5, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #83,022 of 88,552
I think there's something to say for both strategies. Personally I would agree with your take to use a cable that tones down the treble. But I've read plenty of reports where bright(er) IEMs were liked best with bright(er) cables as the synergy can be amazing. I can absolutely see that some brighter cables do deliver much much more than just brightness, and if you fall for those other qualities brightness would be the least of your worries as apparently you're not allergical to it based on the choice of the IEMs in the first place. In this case for those fans 1+1=3, while for us 1+1=0. Both valid.

drftr
My local dealer have both Shirogane 8W and Orpheus, let me go and try this weekend.
Thanks very much. This new strategy opens my mind.

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:13 PM Post #83,023 of 88,552
And I am here reading all the discussions about resolution and technical ability while I just plug in my Creator and enjoy music in the most musical manner:sunglasses:
High five from another Creator lover 🙋🏻
Waiting for my Creator to come back to me together with the Silver 8 cable 🥰

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #83,024 of 88,552
I’ve been away from the Watercooler thread for a while. Can someone direct me to anything that has been previously posted about the Elysian Pilgrim? Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back