The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 5, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #82,966 of 88,379
FWIW I never found Anni bass boomy. If anything, I found it bass light. Also, I didn’t find it that resolving but I was comparing it to the Trailli … so it’s not exactly a fair comparison. But given the 2 I would choose the Anni over the Trailli but that’s just me. YMMV
I think we all might have a different perspective of the word resolution… 😅 always the main cause of disagreements and confusion in the threads

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #82,969 of 88,379
For me ultimately the resolution is the rendering of macro and micro details. Macro detail for example would be a body of an instrument with its reverb, like what we hear with drums. Good low and mid bass usually helps with that. It adds to 3d perception of what is happening in the soundscape. Micro, would be a string and the perception of its vibration or wet detail in the voice of the vocalist, the breath in a flute. Cimbal resolution or a bell in a distance. All of this can be rendered in high resolution when lows mids and highs get enough emphasis. Taking away one part can ultimately make the whole experience less resolving. Like its for example often the case with Stax headphones that can lack lows, so resolution on the macro level suffers and sound may appear flat while being super detailed due to very well executed treble. Or if a headphone doesnt have enough treble, perception of micro detail can suffer just aswell. At least thats how I try to put it together for myself.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #82,970 of 88,379
Now after burn in, still in absolute awe by Annihilator 2023. A friend came by with his collection of IEMs (unfortunately only read only on headfi, yes you), been comparing Anni with Mentor, Mason, Fei Wan and Radon 6.

I listen to a lot of analog music, meaning lots of jazz, bluegras, folk, rock, metal and experimental. Ocassionally some electronic and hiphop but its like 10% of my playlist at the most.

From all of them we agreed that Anni comes out on top, while I really liked the mids of Mentor and the 3d stage, the treble region and the bass of Anni with burned in drivers, just puts them far ahead, couldnt enjoy Mentor as much as hoped to, especially directly after listening to Anni 23 highs. Same with Radon 6, its a great allrounder but nowere close in the treble to Anni 23, overall it was just bit too safe of a tuning for my liking. To be honest Anni made me appreciate treble more, usually it was something that did put me off since I am rather sensetive to the 8hz peak. Fei Wan was technically maybe even more resolving that Anni but ultimately too fatiguing fo my taste. Anni got plenty of energy already, Fei Wan had subjectivly twice as much. Mason while looking stunning (subjectivly one of the best IEM designs outthere) was technically not quite in the same league as the rest. What did put Anni ahead for me is not just the resolution and the treble, but the overall energetic but not too energetic tuning, great balance in the treble region, while maintaining very lush mids with plenty of note weight in the lower region. Anni just marries good tuning with great technicalities, which is a trait that I very enjoyed with my Traillii in the past and couldnt find that often with IEMs and over ears alike.

What I wish from the next Anni revision is slightly better bass texturing (the current is still pretty damn good after burn in) and slightly more mid emphasis, but as it is, its already pretty close to a perfect IEM. Very impressed after comparing to other totl flagships.

Only things I am really curious atm are Xe6, Trifecta, Raven and Amber Pearl. Maybe the new Mason FS. But when it comes to a perfect allrounder I might keep Anni for quite a while now. Considering Anni is often at half of the price of its competetion - its helluva revolutionary IEM in my books.
This is a very good summary. It is a remarkable IEM and stands alone for me as well. It just finds that balance without trying too hard.

I'm curious if you find the Trailli complementary? Meaning it's not either/or but rather sits alongside?

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #82,973 of 88,379
Hilarious that Anni is a bargain in today's higher-end space. Hah.

I think any high end IEM that you really like that is less than $4k counts as a bargain in today's IEM space...for better or for worse.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #82,974 of 88,379
This is a very good summary. It is a remarkable IEM and stands alone for me as well. It just finds that balance without trying too hard.

I'm curious if you find the Trailli complementary? Meaning it's not either/or but rather sits alongside?

They are very complimentary in my books. Traillii has very laid back analog tuning without any digital glare, with superb mids. Its far more cozy than the energetic Anni 23. It doesnt have Annis treble and the punchy bass, but you will recognize it only comparing both A/B, when you have Traillii in your ears you are surrounded by slightly warm mids with great vocals and most genres apart of highly energetic electronic music will play very well with it. With Anni you will get more micro detail due to emphasisd superb treble, punchier bass and far more energy. You will miss out some of the mids magic of Traillii though. Saying that Annis mids are still very well executed. But ultimately Anni 23 will make you want to dance, while with Trailli you might want to grab a cigar and a whiskey=)

I sold my Trailli only since I couldnt justify keeping two 3k+ Iems in the same time and needed the funds for my tube amp (Feliks Envy incoming!) Will see to get my hands on Traillii or Ti version sometime down the road again.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #82,975 of 88,379
Before you toss your Anni in the trash, consider sending it to me! I will bestow my royal favor upon you. 👸
Why do I somehow have the feeling that we're talking past each other all the time?

I didn't claim that Anni isn't resolving enough per se. Because per se Anni's resolving is excellent. It's certainly the best IEM you can buy for this price range. Instead, I said that Anni is not as resolving compared to other TOTLs at a higher price level - which in a certain sense is usually a normal thing to expect in view of the price difference, don't you think? But here, of course, your own perception and feelings play a major role. It is not possible to quantify for others "how much more or less" it is.

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #82,976 of 88,379
Why do I somehow have the feeling that we're talking past each other all the time?

I didn't claim that Anni isn't resolving enough per se. Because per se Anni's resolving is excellent. It's certainly the best IEM you can buy for this price range. Instead, I said that Anni is not as resolving compared to other TOTLs at a higher price level - which in a certain sense is usually a normal thing to expect in view of the price difference, don't you think? But here, of course, your own perception and feelings play a major role. It is not possible to quantify for others "how much more or less" it is.
Which Totl iems are we talking about? There always be companies that overcharge or simply charge more due to their expenses and marketing strategy.

I found Anni more resolving than Mentor and Radon 6, it might be slightly bellow Jewel and Fei Wan but not by a significant margin (to my ear).

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #82,977 of 88,379
Which Totl iems are we talking about?

I found Anni more resolving than Mentor and Radon 6, it might be slightly bellow Jewel and Fei Wan but not by a significant margin.
Here we have another point and in my opinion a discussion can certainly not be productive, which is why I won't continue it now, because the personal perceptions are obviously fundamentally different (which certainly also has to do with sources, tips, etc.): it is the IEMs you mentioned (Mentor and Rn6, and not only) that I have found to be notably more resolving whereas they are less so for you compared to Anni.

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #82,978 of 88,379
I suspect preferred genres play a big role here too, we seem to listen to very different music and I am still not sure what your definition of “resolving” is. In any case didn’t want to offend, glad you are enjoying your stuff. Maybe one day you give Anni another go after it’s burned in.

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #82,979 of 88,379
I feel like you have to sit and live with an iem to truly get a feel for its abilities

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #82,980 of 88,379
I suspect preferred genres play a big role here too, we seem to listen to very different music and I am still not sure what your definition of “resolving” is. In any case didn’t want to offend, glad you are enjoying your stuff. Maybe one day you give Anni another go after it’s burned in.
It's all good, I don't feel attacked or anything, please don't worry. We're just exchanging opinions and I think that's great :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back