The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 3, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #82,816 of 88,531
Vortex Cable Impressions

Left to right: Alida - Lavinia - Seraphina
IMG_7299.jpeg

**Lavinia** is a name with interesting origins:​
1. In **Roman Mythology**, Lavinia was the daughter of Latinus and the second wife of Aeneas. Lavinia is “legendary mother of the Roman people”.​
2. It is also used as a **female given name**.​

I was able to demo Vortex cables- Vortex Lavinia, Alida and Seraphina. Thanks to Nate @Natesdailies :thumbsup:.

Composition:
Lavinia: Shielding: Silver-plated 5N OFC ,
Core: 4N Pure Silver, Gold-plated OCC Copper, Gold-plated 4N Silver , Palladium-plated 4N Silver

Alida: Gold plated 4N pure silver & Silver plated 5N LC-OFC(shielding)

Seraphina: (i)Shielding: Silver plated OFC Copper
(ii)Core: Silver Plated 6N OCC Copper

I think Lavinia is unlike usual silvery-cables, very balanced with also good soundstage, somewhat similar to Nylon PW like Attila. Slightly organic timbre as well. I like the fact that this cable is not too sensitive with hissing, even with sensitive IEM like Astra.

Bass is natural and well-done.

DAP: WM1AM2, dx300 max ti( better match with high-end extension).
So, Lavinia is a “Pass” for me.
Don’t think these cables were properly burnt-in.

Comparison with specific pairings:
IMG_7300.jpeg

Dx 300 Max Ti(Low gain)(or M9+ low gain) -- Flipears Astra ( 16 driver quadribrid, 1BC+1DD+10BA+4EST. Mine is a prototype. It will be launched soon, prob in this year)(Azla Xelastec)

1. Flipears Astra
- **Aeneid**:frowning2: (=a Latin epic poem that tells the legendary story of Aeneas, a Trojan who fled the fall of Troy and travelled to Italy, where he became the ancestor of the Romans)

- Thinner sound line with more detail retrieval and ethereal high-end extension. Very refined.
- Sub-bass leaning bass, overall good.
- Vocal/mid slightly close and has a special 3D sound feel.

- **Lavinia**:
- Less hissing with sensitive IEMs like Astra.
- Thicker sound line, similar to Ibasso DAP DX300 Max Ti vs. Shanling M9+.
- Lavinia provides nice analogue timbre while not missing high end FR/ details.

I preferred Aeneid for slightly warm Astra with Dx300 max Ti. But, for M9+ use, more darker background(less hiss) Lavinia was the only option and sound was very enjoyable- this is because Astra is a very sensitive IEM picking hiss, similar to VE7.

IMG_7195.jpeg

Sony WM1A M2(high gain)-- Cables -- Nostalgia Camelot (New Symbio W eartip)

2. ** Nostalgia Camelot**:

- **Avalon(stock cable)**: Dynamic sound with organic timbre, good for Camelot.

- **Seraphina**: Cooler, less dynamic, and slightly unsatisfying due to less copper timbre/ light sound sig

- **Lavinia**: Thicker sound line than Avalon, good detail without sacrificing hybrid characteristics. I preferred Lavinia over Avalon in this combination. Probably, Lavinia may be even better match than Nostalgia Lancelot cable for Camelot, as some report Lancelot's high end FR extension is slightly limited.

IMG_7301.jpeg

Shanling M9+(low gain)—Cable -- U6t(Azla Max ASMR eartip -- smaller bore than Azla Max, slightly bass-leaning tip)

3. **U6t**:

- **Alida**: Balanced and enjoyable, but Vortex's unique quiet background is slightly weak.
- **Seraphina**: Very good balance, excellent high extension, and decent low end.
- **Lavinia**: Slightly more bassy, coppery feel, and good soundstage.

I preferred Seraphina for U6t, which is slightly warm IEM along with above ear-tip and DAP matching.

IMG_7262.jpeg

Shanling M9+(Medium gain)--Cable(Penn Ear compatible with Full ConX set)--Acoustune Sho Mk2 (Stock ACT5 OFC chamber)(Nostalgia XWB eartip)

4. **Sho Mk2**:

- Stock 3.5: Balanced, soft, good detail retrieval, and well-done bass.

- **Lavinia**: Adds immersiveness, thicker sound line, increased detail retrieval without harsh treble. Bass quality improved.

- Elevated Sho Mk2 to TOTL level, impressive detail retrieval and enjoyable female vocals.

- A remarkable combination with immersive sound and rare detail retrieval for a single DD IEM. I could enjoy later part of Coldplay 'Fix You', as Sho Mk2 has slight fun soung sig (Bassy) along with other prowess.

IMG_7269.jpeg

M9+(low gain)--Cable -- U4s ( Nostalgia XWB eartip with an O ring made from unused TRN T2(?) eartip stem)
IMG_7284.jpeg

IMG_7286.jpeg

5. **U4s**:

- **Alida**: Balanced, great for relaxed listening.

- **Lavinia vs. Alida**: Lavinia offers higher detail, better low/high frequencies, and immersion. However, occasional slightly harsh treble noted. Lavinia feels more hi-fi, but Alida is better for relaxed listening.

Remember, these impressions are subjective, and personal preferences play a significant role. Enjoy your audio journey! :) :)
My preference: Balanced, value both bass and high-end extension, and oh vocals. Usually listens to vocal songs.
Lately, enjoying slightly thick SQ of Shanling M9+

Disclaimer: No financial association with any of the company above

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #82,817 of 88,531
17095202480458854174958914529949.jpg

Just a heads up! Courtesy of Preasto HK, I have managed to secure a loaner set of the Horizon Doom IEM, a single DD IEM engineered and tuned by an ex-Onkyo engineer.

So far, it exhibits an aggressive V-shaped signature with a lean emphasis on upper-mid energy. It's still early days, but stay tuned for a review on the Headphone List in the coming weeks/month 🙏👍.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #82,819 of 88,531
Friends - I am working on a single DD comparison video - can you remind me if I am missing anything in this list?

1. Singularity
  2. IE900
  3. Fir e12
  4. Dita Perpetua
  5. Turi TI
  6. HIFIMAN Svanar
  7. Final A8000
Timsok TS-316 ?

I enjoy our videos. :)

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #82,820 of 88,531
Friends - I am working on a single DD comparison video - can you remind me if I am missing anything in this list?

1. Singularity
  2. IE900
  3. Fir e12
  4. Dita Perpetua
  5. Turi TI
  6. HIFIMAN Svanar
  7. Final A8000
Edited to remove all traces of my ignorance from the intarwebz! Oh wait @wolfstar76 already made me infamous 😂.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #82,821 of 88,531

1. Singularity
  2. IE900
  3. Fir e12
  4. Dita Perpetua
  5. Turi TI
  6. HIFIMAN Svanar
  7. Final A8000
Oriolus Isabellae

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #82,822 of 88,531
Mar 3, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #82,823 of 88,531

1. Singularity
  2. IE900
  3. Fir e12
  4. Dita Perpetua
  5. Turi TI
  6. HIFIMAN Svanar
  7. Final A8000
Oriolus Isabellae
And @wolfstar76 and I were typing at the same time, beat me to the Save click.
Do love this IEM.

Try and recover the post, I went to see some live music at a local hippie hang out. I think I was the youngest guy there which is an odd feeling I do not often get anymore. It felt more like a house party, the music was a jam band kind of music. Anyway here is a photo snap I found the atmosphere kind of interesting.

IMG_3535.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #82,824 of 88,531

1. Singularity
  2. IE900
  3. Fir e12
  4. Dita Perpetua
  5. Turi TI
  6. HIFIMAN Svanar
  7. Final A8000
If above 1k USD MSRP:
Horizon Doom - Basic
JVC / Victor - FW10000
Technics - EAH TZ700
Sony - EX1000
Dunu - Luna

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #82,826 of 88,531
Oriolus Isabellae
Man I love, love, love this IEM. There is something magical about it. I sold it because of ear fit...and then bought it again because I missed it.

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #82,827 of 88,531
Mar 3, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #82,828 of 88,531
I don't see Fir as a vendor at CanJam NYC, at least on the list on the home page of CanJam NYC. Curious, is that because they don't make enough money selling to the pros?

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #82,829 of 88,531
I don't see Fir as a vendor at CanJam NYC, at least on the list on the home page of CanJam NYC. Curious, is that because they don't make enough money selling to the pros?
I don’t think they are coming this time but we can check out FiR stuff at stalls of Audio46 and Bloom.

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #82,830 of 88,531

1. Singularity
  2. IE900
  3. Fir e12
  4. Dita Perpetua
  5. Turi TI
  6. HIFIMAN Svanar
  7. Final A8000
Don’t forget JVC FDX01, had a nice and natural timbre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back