The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 3, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #82,801 of 88,799
Erebus continues to fly under the radar. Maybe demo sets will find their way to NYC CJ and SG CJ, they deserve to be sampled and compared. Erebus' very well balanced and somewhat relaxed sound, along with excellent technicals and great scaling to most music types and moods make it a great all-rounder for me. With its contingent of 8 (!) ESTs per monitor, I find the treble to be sweet, airy, detailed, a bit sparkly, not metallic, not sibilant, as many EST-laden IEMs can be.
IMG_1206.jpeg
How would you describe Erebus vs VE10?

drftr

Mar 3, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #82,803 of 88,799
How would an iem sound if the L & R cables were the wrong way round?
They would sound surprising, like crossing the street in UK. You will get honked at from the other side than usual :)

Mar 3, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #82,805 of 88,799
How would an iem sound if the L & R cables were the wrong way round?
Don't do that, It will reverse the time flow, and in the worst case, may even bring you back to 1980 and you won't have any smartphone to play with, and you will have to play guitar instead, what a horror.

Mar 3, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #82,807 of 88,799
How would you describe Erebus vs VE10?

drftr
Good question, and a it's good time for me to do a brief Sunday comparison.

I find Erebus and VE10 to be very different, and very complementary. Erebus has a more neutral sound vs. VE10's warm wave. Both are fairly well balanced. Erebus is much more of a technical listen, particularly with its strength in speed, dynamics, resolution, immersive staging and imaging. VE10 provides much more of an intimate "organic" sound, while still featuring very nice resolution, separation, dynamics, and transients.

Both have good DD sub bass with similar medium-depth nicely-articulated thump, but VE10's mid bass warmth comes up into the mids more than Erebus'. VE10's more forward mids are excellent: warm, emotive, with great timbre. Its mids are really its calling card, and are up there among the best I've heard (caveat there are plenty of mids champs I haven't heard). Erebus has very pleasing mids but they are less warm, slightly less forward. Both have treble well-suited to my tastes. VE10's upper end features decently crisp detail, effective transients, and rolled off edges. Erebus by comparison has more treble extension, air, detail, snap, dazzle, while at the same time offering no sibilance or sizzle; Erebus has among the best treble I have heard (after king Anni).

A key difference between the two is an elevated upper mid/lower treble for Erebus, lending it more energy and urgency (and it is on the cusp of being too much for me at times), versus VE10's utter lack of that type of peak. VE10 is the mellower listen of the two.

I like VE10 particularly in the mornings when I am easing into my day, or late at night. Erebus is more of a midday awake and ready for “relaxed verve”, immersion and refinement set for me. Both sets are versatile for just about any music I listen to (lots of rock, jazz and jazz vocal at the moment), and are particularly terrific with vocal-focused and acoustic music, VE10 especially. Erebus really shines with live music.

Some negatives: VE10 doesn't fit me very comfortably, due to its shorter nozzle popping out (reasonably solved with Coreir tips), and it is very sensitive and thus not great with the wrong source or at louder levels (some hiss at high volume). Erebus meanwhile has its upper mids verve that I'm not always in the mood for. I will add that I do not find either to be particularly attractive. They would not win any beauty contest where I'm a judge (not that anyone is offering me that role).

Also, it's fair to point out that Erebus is over 50% more expensive MSRP (4800 vs 3000 USD), so one might expect it to outperform VE10 by a lot, which I don't find to be the case.

IMG_1209.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #82,808 of 88,799
Seriously how would they sound if the leads were to the wrong ear piece?
When I was swapping cables, I accidentally did that, but of course, you won't even notice anything is wrong, unless it is about a gaming in which case you need to pinpoint which direction is the guns are shooting at you.

Mar 3, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #82,810 of 88,799
Would they sound brittle and thin, almost sibilant?
As I mentioned, I don't think there is anything other than the imaging is wrong. In some cheap cables' case, they are not even clearly marked with anything to indicate left or right.

Mar 3, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #82,811 of 88,799
After living with the CASCARA for a few days I have to say it's probably the most tip and cable sensitive iem I own. Having dialed in my perfect combination with the Tangzu TangSanCai tips and the FiiO LC-RE Pro 2022 with its Gold+Silver+Copper Hybrid configuration they now sound superb and worthy of the price. This combination removed the bass bloom I experienced with stock cable and my usual tips of choice the divinis Velvets.
Guitars now bite with authority, drums sound full detailed Simply superb bass going low with great impact in the mid bass and the really surprising detailed rendition of vocals and treble detail.
Definitely I'm my top 5 DD iems.
Edit. Music listening Classic Rock, these iems make recordings from the 70s and 80s sound huge!

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #82,812 of 88,799
Most manufacturer associate dynamic driver had to be somewhat "energized shouty" while Softears went the opposite way. Turii has still enough bass, with the advantage of dynamic impact but then in particular not that much more slam like balanced armature driver.

use a translation tool for that homepage from one if not the biggest chinese lover of the Softears Turri, that has a comprehensive guide about the Turii, published after that IEM was already discontinued and I and pretty sure also @blotmouse will fully agree with that being said

https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/595898264

@Scuba Devils

partial online transcription from above link:

For a new super flagship erebus that came out a while ago, my comment is that if you like the original line turii, you can miss the double loop eclipse, but you can't miss the erebus, the turii is like a loose and natural version of the erebus, and the erebus is like an improved quality version of the turii.

Softears Turii - NG Erebus - Melodic Artification Eclipse
The SoftEars Turii is a very enjoyable pair of single DDs. I recall when I was listening to the entire line up when they first came to Jaben SG. The Turii was the one which stood out to me. :) SoftEars are great at tuning single DDs.

Mar 3, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #82,814 of 88,799

Users who are viewing this thread

Back