The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 4, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #82,846 of 88,759
I don’t think they are coming this time but we can check out FiR stuff at stalls of Audio46 and Bloom.
Oof. That is a major bummer for me. Hopefully campfire comes in person this time. Definitely curious to see their latest and greatest (also want to try Bonneville as people keep raving about it here).

Mar 4, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #82,847 of 88,759
I doubt if Ronin is considered super bright because Ronin sounds the most organic among the Noble lineup (other than Spartacus). I guess you are talking about Viking variants. Comparing Viking variants to A8000, I still find Viking to be the brighter set, notably in the 6-8k region. Yes you have impressive resolution and staging, but for treble-sensitive guys this probably ain't for me. A8000 has less energy in mid treble but more energy in upper mids, which does great on anisongs.
Definitely not Ronins. They have some of the most accurate treble I have ever heard but they are by no means bright. I too believe this must be a reference to Ragnars.

Mar 4, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #82,850 of 88,759
Oof. That is a major bummer for me. Hopefully campfire comes in person this time. Definitely curious to see their latest and greatest (also want to try Bonneville as people keep raving about it here).

Ken said he will.

Mar 4, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #82,851 of 88,759
Cascara. It's only $500 but I would take it over everything on that list that I've heard except the Perpetua (haven't heard Svanar or A8000). The Dunu Zen Pro is another great.
I 2nd the Cascara it's special

Mar 4, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #82,852 of 88,759
Hello everyone.

Attending the upcoming meeting in Amsterdam on 23-24 of March, I am confronted with an important but maybe numb question about travelling with audio devices.

I have never travelled with battery-powered gears (i.e. external amps and powerbanks) or usb devices like dongles and dac-amp. Even less with a dozen of IEMs. I don't want to let my sensitive and precious stuff in my checked-in luggage, but I would like to take them with me on the plane.

Do you think it could be an issue at the security control? I am flying from Switzerland, if it matters...

Thanks in advance for your advice and recommendation.

Mar 4, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #82,853 of 88,759
I 2nd the Cascara it's special

Everyone will have their own opinion, but I gave it a demo and to be honest I think the TS-316 is a far better value at the same price if you don't mind the heavier shells. It wasn't terrible, but to me it didn't seem to really work with everything. From what I remember, it had a weird, hollowed out kind of sound on some of the tracks I listened to. Hard to explain.

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #82,855 of 88,759
Hello everyone.

Attending the upcoming meeting in Amsterdam on 23-24 of March, I am confronted with an important but maybe numb question about travelling with audio devices.

I have never travelled with battery-powered gears (i.e. external amps and powerbanks) or usb devices like dongles and dac-amp. Even less with a dozen of IEMs. I don't want to let my sensitive and precious stuff in my checked-in luggage, but I would like to take them with me on the plane.

Do you think it could be an issue at the security control? I am flying from Switzerland, if it matters...

Thanks in advance for your advice and recommendation.
Looking forward to meeting you and welcoming you to Amsterdam!

I have travelled lots of times with a fair number of IEMs in my hand luggage. Never an issue. They only once asked me what they were.

Airlines don’t want your batteries in checked-in luggage, you have to take them on board with you.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #82,856 of 88,759

... and just confirmed with Bogdan, he will be at the show, their table will be next to Bloom Audio.

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #82,857 of 88,759
Everyone will have their own opinion, but I gave it a demo and to be honest I think the TS-316 is a far better value at the same price if you don't mind the heavier shells. It wasn't terrible, but to me it didn't seem to really work with everything. From what I remember, it had a weird, hollowed out kind of sound on some of the tracks I listened to. Hard to explain.
It took me a while to dial in with tangzu TangSanCai tips allowing deep insertion fCable but once I did it was visceral in its playback not hollow at all for my ears

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #82,858 of 88,759
Looking forward to meeting you and welcoming you to Amsterdam!

I have travelled lots of times with a fair number of IEMs in my hand luggage. Never an issue. They only once asked me what they were.

Airlines don’t want your batteries in checked-in luggage, you have to take them on board with you.
Many thanks mate! Really looking forward to meeting you as well. We will have a blast in Dam🔥.

Mar 4, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #82,859 of 88,759
Mar 4, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #82,860 of 88,759
From your second sentence I'm making you're not referring to a L/R mix-up but a +/- mix-up, as that indeed can lead to a weird, lean, and hollow sound. This is partly because of inverse dynamics: You hit the drum and you don't hear an explosion but an implosion.

If it's really just a L/R mix-up then there's absolutely nothing wrong with the sound; it just sounds different from your memories as all instruments and effects come from the opposite direction. I honestly saw someone demoing that way at a late night demo party after CJ SG last year and he hadn't noticed while always using the same tracks for demoing. He then said it sounded excellent and I scratched my head as everything would be off by comparison.

Tnx for the great write-up. Looks like VE10 would be much more up my alley. Just hoping it's not too polite.

drftr
I've found VE10 to respond well to cable upgrading, resulting in less politeness, more liveliness. After rolling with copper-only cables like FTS, 1950s S and drguggles copper flagship, I found that a good silver coated copper cable does better at giving VE10 some extra sparkle and resolution up top while firming up its bottom end a bit. I landed on LL Venom, which to me takes what is good in the VE10 cable and bumps it up a couple notches. When you get to demo VE10, you might try a cable like that. Otherwise the treble I found to be a bit too modest, using stock cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back