Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Feb 20, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #6,061 of 6,223
Vortex Tuesday with FiRies

Initially impressed with Alida's very dark background – bringing out instrument layering and wide soundstage, though could use a bit more detail. More impressions coming soon.

20240220_142049.jpeg

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #6,062 of 6,223
Who else own Radon that also like Canpur 622B?

Radon still sound sublime to me, but I think I need either replacement/alternative IEM for very noisy place. Hard to use Radon on flight or at busy cafe, the noise outside affect the sound quality significantly.

I almost went to VE-X route, but I think I like 622B more (for my preference). Both IEM isolated well, with VE-X is the most isolated one here.

Feb 22, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #6,065 of 6,223
Feb 29, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #6,067 of 6,223
I was recently introduced to the FiR Audio Frontier Series (late arrival to this forum), and I've been getting so much enjoyment from these IEMs.

Sharing some personal impressions, below, as a small way to give back to this audiophile community.

I recently spent a few early-morning hours listening and comparing several of the FiR IEMs - Rn6, Kr5, Ne4. Overall, I absolutely love the Frontier Series, though side-by-side comparison reveals significant differences between these three. (I haven't yet heard the Xe6 for comparison.)

If I had never heard the Rn6 or Kr5, the Ne4 would likely be a personal favorite IEM as they are a clear step-up from the Campfire Andromeda and Bonneville and U18t that I had previously been listening to and enjoying.

However, swapping these for the Kr5 is a huge step-up in bass definition and depth as well as soundstage size. The entire sound spectrum is well balanced with excellent dynamics in the Kr5.

These IEMs reveal detail and elicit emotion that I haven't felt before in songs that I've been listening to for years. They also pair incredibly well with the Cayin N8ii DAP and reveal its capabilities.

I personally prefer precision, detail and resolution over rich, thick bass and warmer tunings, so I expected that these Kr5 would be the sweet-spot in the FS line-up for me. However, I have to say, the Rn6 take the strengths of the Kr5 to another level and offer the most compelling and well-balanced sound I've ever heard in an IEM.

The Ra6 sound is powerful, immersive, expansive and yet incredibly detailed and precise. Listening to these IEMs makes me wonder if this is my actual endgame, as I can't imagine the presentation getting any better. I love that experience and have only felt it a few other times (with high-end stereo systems).

Overall ratings: Rn6 - A+, Kr5 - A, Ne4 - B+

Based on this experience, I can't wait to see how FiR continues to innovate and improve on this incredible sound. Thank you for the outstanding engineering and audio quality!

Listening notes and impressions below. I've also enjoyed and been inspired by Paweł Szachno's excellent reviews and passion for these IEMs over at Ear Fidelity.

DAP: Cayin N8ii (AB, P+, LdB)
Cable: Moon Audio Silver Dragon 4.4mm balanced

Kr5 impressions

Album: Tool, Fear Inoculum (2019)

Track: Pneuma
- Bass: kinetic bass, felt throughout head/shoulders
- Mids: clean, clear, echo/reverb
- Treble: crisp, tactile

Track: Chocolate Chip Trip
- Bass: punctuated bass drum, tight, fast, high-impact
- Mids: precise dynamics, instrument separation, deep black background
- Treble: crisp, precise detail
- Soundstage: extended, ultra-wide, open headspace, surrounded

Album: Modest Mouse, Strangers to Ourselves (2015)

Track: Coyotes
- Bass: warm, enveloping
- Mids: guitar detail, page turning
- Treble: recessed cymbals/snare

Track: Wicked Campaign
- Bass: thump, long decay, reverb
- Mids: vocal expression, breathing, sighs
- Treble: guitar pick

Album: Radiohead, In Rainbows (2007)

Track: Weird Fishes
Bass: subtle, sublime
Mids: intimate, expressive vocal inflection
Treble: sizzle, splash, punctuated

Ne4 comparison
- Bass: less defined, slightly cloudy
- Mids: engaging, easy to listen, well-defined
- Treble: clean, clear, precise
- Soundstage: smaller scale, less separation

Rn6 comparison
- Bass: rich, warm, luxurious depth, control
- Mids: precision balanced with tube-like warmth, instrument placement and detail
- Treble: absolute control, precision
- Soundstage: bigger! enveloping, spatial separation, swimming in sound

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #6,068 of 6,223
I was recently introduced to the FiR Audio Frontier Series (late arrival to this forum), and I've been getting so much enjoyment from these IEMs.

Sharing some personal impressions, below, as a small way to give back to this audiophile community.

I recently spent a few early-morning hours listening and comparing several of the FiR IEMs - Ra6, Kr5, Ne4. Overall, I absolutely love the Frontier Series, though side-by-side comparison reveals significant differences between these three. (I haven't yet heard the Xe6 for comparison.)

If I had never heard the Ra6 or Kr5, the Ne4 would likely be a personal favorite IEM as they are a clear step-up from the Campfire Andromeda and Bonneville and Audio 64 U18t that I had previously been listening to and enjoying.

However, swapping these for the Kr5 is a huge step-up in bass definition and depth as well as soundstage size. The entire sound spectrum is well balanced with excellent dynamics in the Kr5.

These IEMs reveal detail and elicit emotion that I haven't felt before in songs that I've been listening to for years. They also pair incredibly well with the Cayin N8ii DAP and reveal its capabilities.

I personally prefer precision, detail and resolution over rich, thick bass and warmer tunings, so I expected that these Kr5 would be the sweet-spot in the FS line-up for me. However, I have to say, the Ra6 take the strengths of the Kr5 to another level and offer the most compelling and well-balanced sound I've ever heard in an IEM.

The Ra6 sound is powerful, immersive, expansive and yet incredibly detailed and precise. Listening to these IEMs makes me wonder if this is my actual endgame, as I can't imagine the presentation getting any better. I love that experience and have only felt it a few other times (with high-end stereo systems).

Overall ratings: Ra6 - A+, Kr5 - A, Ne4 - B+

Based on this experience, I can't wait to see how FiR continues to innovate and improve on this incredible sound. Thank you for the outstanding engineering and audio quality!

Listening notes and impressions below. I've also enjoyed and been inspired by Paweł Szachno's excellent reviews and passion for these IEMs over at Ear Fidelity.

DAP: Cayin N8ii (AB, P+, LdB)
Cable: Moon Audio Silver Dragon 4.4mm balanced

Kr5 impressions

Album: Tool, Fear Inoculum (2019)

Track: Pneuma
- Bass: kinetic bass, felt throughout head/shoulders
- Mids: clean, clear, echo/reverb
- Treble: crisp, tactile

Track: Chocolate Chip Trip
- Bass: punctuated bass drum, tight, fast, high-impact
- Mids: precise dynamics, instrument separation, deep black background
- Treble: crisp, precise detail
- Soundstage: extended, ultra-wide, open headspace, surrounded

Album: Modest Mouse, Strangers to Ourselves (2015)

Track: Coyotes
- Bass: warm, enveloping
- Mids: guitar detail, page turning
- Treble: recessed cymbals/snare

Track: Wicked Campaign
- Bass: thump, long decay, reverb
- Mids: vocal expression, breathing, sighs
- Treble: guitar pick

Album: Radiohead, In Rainbows (2007)

Track: Weird Fishes
Bass: subtle, sublime
Mids: intimate, expressive vocal inflection
Treble: sizzle, splash, punctuated

Ne4 comparison
- Bass: less defined, slightly cloudy
- Mids: engaging, easy to listen, well-defined
- Treble: clean, clear, precise
- Soundstage: smaller scale, less separation

Ra6 comparison
- Bass: rich, warm, luxurious depth, control
- Mids: precision balanced with tube-like warmth, instrument placement and detail
- Treble: absolute control, precision
- Soundstage: bigger! enveloping, spatial separation, swimming in sound
I’m addicted to RN6 CIEM. Just ordered XE6 CIEM to compliment .

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #6,069 of 6,223
I’m addicted to RN6 CIEM. Just ordered XE6 CIEM to compliment .
How do you stack the Annihilator 23 to the RN6? Also nice! another Andro Gold owner ❤️

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #6,070 of 6,223
How do you stack the Annihilator 23 to the RN6? Also nice! another Andro Gold owner ❤️
The Anni has smooth more detailed highs, Anni is kind of the king of highs. Rn6 has a decent amount more bass presence and a felt sub bass. Both have good mids, but not class leading. They kind of compliment each other.

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #6,071 of 6,223
Anyone have a Rn6 CIEM and know how it compares sound wise to the universal?
Fuller sound, the kinetic bass is ever present since it’s not reliant on having the right fit and right seal.

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #6,073 of 6,223

The undulating subbass on this track is so addicitng with RN6. None of my other IEMs can even compete on this one. Can't wait to try XE6 at Canjam NYC!

Mar 4, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #6,074 of 6,223
For those that will attend CanJam NYC this weekend. Fir Audio will be exhibiting in the bloom audio room.
I had a great time at your booth last time and ended up buying XE6

Mar 4, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #6,075 of 6,223

The undulating subbass on this track is so addicitng with RN6. None of my other IEMs can even compete on this one. Can't wait to try XE6 at Canjam NYC!

This has sub bass the whole track you won't notice on systems/iems unable to hang 🤭

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240304_150843_Apple Music.jpg
    Screenshot_20240304_150843_Apple Music.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back