The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 29, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #82,486 of 88,279
Sublime

PXL_20240228_145717550-01-topaz-enhance-2.9x-exposure-remove-color.jpeg

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #82,487 of 88,279
Very different flavor of Iem more of a preference thing imo .. UM and Elysian have a very different house sound
Agreed. Two complimentary tunings / presentations in my experience. For my preferences, Annihilator is a ways ahead of Mentor in all aspects except for staging. I found Mentor to be very good and agreeable with all genres I typically listen to but not nearly as engaging or enthralling as Anni.

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #82,488 of 88,279
Think I will skip Mentor and go for AP or Mason / Mason FS. Very excited for Amsterdam meet up to try some of the toys and meet some of the fellow cultists in person.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #82,497 of 88,279
Man if they ever came out with a dap that you can roll tubes with, I’d buy it even if it was 10k.
Nah, the tubes wouldn't be that good. The PB5 is really really good. Much better than I expected it to be. Pairing that with 320Max, N30LE and RS6 is mind blowingly good.

Leave tube rolling to full sized tube amps so we can use 50-70 year old tubes to modify sound.

Feb 29, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #82,499 of 88,279
And you didn’t even listen to it’s best genre (imo) 2000s Indie rock. 🤭 Have a listen to The Stroke’s first album “Is This It”.
I have no doubt! Even with Indie Pop, it's crazy dynamic and an exciting listen. Will have a listen to The Strokes.
I could give it a go with the P6K the next time I visit my dealer. But, if your concern is it being too polite compared to something like the Ronin, I wouldn’t worry if I were you. I reckon the VE X has more bite and livelier PRaT, while I recall the Ronin being on the softer, more laidback and more expansive side.
Agree with this assessment. Ronin is even more smooth and laid back. VE X definitely has more bite and excitement and dynamism and for the DD lovers, fulfils that craving well.
Think more bite than Ronin and Traillii but less than Rn6 and Sultan. Let me know if I'm overasking :wink:

drftr
Like you, I was trying to find something like a Ronin but with that slam and full-bodied sound supported by all the benefits of a DD. VE X has it's own flavour and distinct VE house sound, I think it would satisfy those that would want a 'Ronin like' type of tuning but with more bite, vividness, and immersion with a very well tuned DD to control the slam and rumble.

Feb 29, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #82,500 of 88,279

Users who are viewing this thread

Back