The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 28, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #82,381 of 87,835
"Kinetic Bass" is just the name of the technology, it won't literally vibrate your ears. Have you tried to change the Atom Module? By default RN6 use red module, which is -4dB Bass.

I’ve tried the red, silver, and yellow atom modules. Didn’t notice as much of a difference as changing from 64 Audio’s M20 to an M15. My guess is a bad seal… I do love the idea of IEMs, but the fine tuning to get things right is annoying. Over ears are basically plug and play. Hope I can get this dialed in. Blowing $300 bucks on a restocking fee would suck.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #82,382 of 87,835
This is the reason why multi-driver IEMs are definitively technically superior vs single driver IEMs.
All depends on what definition of "technically superior' you are using. Let alone whether "technically superior" has any bearing on the perceived accuracy of the sound. In the end, all the purely objectivist arguments come down to "it measures better because it measures better" and seem to lose their connection to the actual experience of the music by the human listener.
but sound as presented in real life also has such imperfections, so sometimes it's the right amount of imperfection to make it sound more lifelike.
Yes, this. You just hit the crux of the issue and answered the above.

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #82,383 of 87,835
My guess is a bad seal…
Sounds like a bad seal: Bass should be very punchy and mids warm enough. But with a bad seal mids can easily become far too lean which, together with a brighter treble, may come across as shouty. I don't think it is, so it's really worth trying a few eartips.

drftr

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #82,384 of 87,835
Got my Rn6 yesterday.

Does anyone consider them a bit shouty? Perhaps it’s high level of resolution that makes higher frequency stuff “pop” louder?

And I don’t “feel” the kinetic bass. These rumble just as well as a IE600 or IE900 to my ears.

Perhaps I’m not getting a good seal?

Should I try the Volur for a bassy IEM that is still on the physically small side of things?
I did get good bass out of them but I found them shouty as well. Only with metal though, they were good for other genres.

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #82,385 of 87,835
I did get good bass out of them but I found them shouty as well. Only with metal though, they were good for other genres.
I think if he's coming from U12t many IEMs that are popular here could come across shouty. U12t is much tamer from mids to treble. Add a less than optimal seal and perhaps a leaner DAP or tips and you're done.

You saying you blame Rn6 being shouty and not them shouting metalheadz??

drftr

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #82,386 of 87,835
Got my Rn6 yesterday.

Does anyone consider them a bit shouty? Perhaps it’s high level of resolution that makes higher frequency stuff “pop” louder?

And I don’t “feel” the kinetic bass. These rumble just as well as a IE600 or IE900 to my ears.

Perhaps I’m not getting a good seal?

Should I try the Volur for a bassy IEM that is still on the physically small side of things?
I also couldn't say I was "feeling" the kinetic bass but I was considering it very good, "end game" worthy. One thing I noticed is after few hours of listening to them while working I felt relief after listening to other iems (talking about low end), so I assume that is comming from the kineting bass. I also thought the upper mids were "peaky" (if that is the word), not very nice with electronic music. Also had trouble explaining how I heard that region, to be somehow "congested", probably the main and only reason I wanted to try other iems. And it was not caused by the tips, the first thing people tell you.

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #82,387 of 87,835
If anyone's in for a larger case to store and carry multiple IEMs and DAPs, give ddHiFi's new CZ300 a try.
DDHiFi_Cases_07.jpg
My review of the case, and it's baby brother CZ180, is online
here.

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #82,388 of 87,835
Sounds like a bad seal: Bass should be very punchy and mids warm enough. But with a bad seal mids can easily become far too lean which, together with a brighter treble, may come across as shouty. I don't think it is, so it's really worth trying a few eartips.

drftr
Agreed. Sounds like a seal and reference issue. The stock orange and black tips worked for me with kinetic bass.

U12T is quite more reserved than certain modern sets. Have heard RN6 treble described as shouty or spicy, but never have had an issue with RN6 other than getting the right seal. Perhaps he does not like so much bass? Each person has their own preferences.

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #82,389 of 87,835
I also couldn't say I was "feeling" the kinetic bass but I was considering it very good, "end game" worthy. One thing I noticed is after few hours of listening to them while working I felt relief after listening to other iems (talking about low end), so I assume that is comming from the kineting bass. I also thought the upper mids were "peaky" (if that is the word), not very nice with electronic music. Also had trouble explaining how I heard that region, to be somehow "congested", probably the main and only reason I wanted to try other iems. And it was not caused by the tips, the first thing people tell you.
Rn6 here and electronic music (and derivatives) is my general reference: I think the Rn6 is just brilliant and it's neither peaky, nor shouty, nor harsh etc. for me. At least not with the right module (silber, but black is also ok) and particularly tips: wider bore (AZLAs and AET06 for example) can actually cause the problem, as can the Symbio W (also Peel) stocks, which by the way don't quite fit me as I have SS and S as big ones and the Symbio W are S and M. So narrow bore for me: W1 or Type-E. Otherwise perfect fit, excellent sound: warm, colored, resolving, holographic, dynamic, incredible cohesive, with a fantastic bass... it's just fun, what more could you want? Well ok, better mids.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #82,390 of 87,835
Rn6 here and electronic music (and derivatives) is my general reference: I think the Rn6 is just brilliant and it's neither peaky, nor shouty, nor harsh etc. for me. At least not with the right module (silber, but black is also ok) and particularly tips: wider bore (AZLAs and AET06 for example) can actually cause the problem, as can the Symbio W (also Peel) stocks, which by the way don't quite fit me as I have SS and S as big ones and the Symbio W are S and M. So narrow bore for me: W1 or Type-E. Otherwise perfect fit, excellent sound: warm, colored, resolving, holographic, dynamic, incredible cohesive, with a fantastic bass... it's just fun, what more could you want? Well ok, better mids.
I considered Rn6 to be almost perfection, liked the lowend (didn't feel it but it was awesome), holography, openness, vocals, and timbre (at least the most natural for organic instruments I have heard so far). I can agree for the W1 also, probably mostly used them and cp145. Currently running Trifecta with W1 and it is bass experience not feeling, virtual reality of bass, I can call it like that :)

Feb 28, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #82,391 of 87,835
I considered Rn6 to be almost perfection, liked the lowend (didn't feel it but it was awesome), holography, openness, vocals, and timbre (at least the most natural for organic instruments I have heard so far). I can agree for the W1 also, probably mostly used them and cp145. Currently running Trifecta with W1 and it is bass experience not feeling, virtual reality of bass, I can call it like that :)
In my opinion, you have fit problems (and this explains the shouty treble even with electronics as well): I can't understand how you can't "feel" the bass. I can feel the bass very well, it's not only really "tactile", but above all plastic, somehow three-dimensional. I notice this especially in comparison to other iems without this driver.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #82,393 of 87,835
Pre-CanJam Survey Final update:

Over $2K Bracket

Annihilator x27
Traillii/Ti x22
Trifecta x20

I must say the above is a splendid top 3. A treble king, a midrange king, and a bass king.

The rest:

Xe6 x18
Rn6 x15
Amber Pearl x14
Mentor x13
Fei Wan x12
Storm x12
VEX x11

CP622B x12

Raven x7

Ronin x6
Grand Maestro x6
APX x5
Perpetua x5
Viking x5

Volur x4
EXT x3
Jewel x3
Aura x3
Mason FS x3

DC TI x2
Creator x2
Phonix/LE x2
Legend X x2
Odin x2
Thummim x2
u/a12t x2
Duality x2
Fourte x2
Legend Evo x2
Trio x2
Anole V14
Camelot
Dio
Erebus
Khoas
Maestro SE
Monachaa
Odyssey
Pathfinder
Red Halo
Sharona
Supreme V3
Omnium
Elysian X
Impact
Sho Mk2
Sultan
Canary Pro
NA12

Enigma+
Mason Le Jardin
u18s
Kr5
Khopesh
Titan
Silver HB

Up to and Including $2K Bracket

IER Z1R x26

IER Z1r wins with some authority.

Singularity x15
MEST 1/2/3 x14
Bonneville x13
IE 900 x13

CP54E x11

Monachaa x9
Crimson x9
Diva x9
Spartacus x8

u12t x7
Supermoon x6
u4s x6

Quattro x6

Monarch 1/2/3 x5
Bellos X4 x4
Maestro SE x4
Ascension x4
Nio x4
Project M x3
E12 x3
Cascara x3
Crin Zero Red x3
Supernova x3
Szalayi x3
V16 Divinity x3

Solaris x2
IE600 x2
Magic One x2
Scarlet Mini x2
TS-316 x2
Andromeda x2
Black Star x2
Loak CL2 x2
Twilight x2
Xelento 2 x2
Cadenza 12 x2
Glacier x2
Mezzo LE x2
Twin Pulse x2
Andromeda Emerald Sea x2
E5000 x2
Prestige LTD x2

Ace 2
APP 2
Avant
Fibae 5
FW 10000
Helios
Hero
HS2000mx
Hybrid 3 Pro
Hype 4
IER-M3
Inear PP8
LP1
Mach 60
Madoo 821
Mentawai
Miroak ii
S15
Seraph
Sho
TGX Ear Carbon
To Go! 334
TS-415
Type 512
U3S
Unity
Valkyire
VE8
Verdandi
Volume
X
Zero 2
Neon Pro
Butastur
Andromeda MW10
M4
Spring
Blessing 2
NHB12
Omega Ra
Mirai
Duo
Dorado 2020
IER-M7
Maestro Mini
A8000
FH9
BA7
Neo CP
8Pro
KSE 1200
Xenns Top
Unity

MH335HT
Eclipse
Rosenkranz Silver HB
Canpur CP622B Custom
Elysian Annihilator 202

Thanks to everyone who voted for this impressive list of IEMs.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #82,394 of 87,835
Pre-CanJam Survey Final update:

Over $2K Bracket

Annihilator x27
Traillii/Ti x22
Trifecta x20

I must say the above is a splendid top 3. A treble king, a midrange king, and a bass king.

The rest:

Xe6 x18
Rn6 x15
Amber Pearl x14
Mentor x13
Fei Wan x12
Storm x12
VEX x11

CP622B x12

Raven x7

Ronin x6
Grand Maestro x6
APX x5
Perpetua x5
Viking x5

Volur x4
EXT x3
Jewel x3
Aura x3
Mason FS x3

DC TI x2
Creator x2
Phonix/LE x2
Legend X x2
Odin x2
Thummim x2
u/a12t x2
Duality x2
Fourte x2
Legend Evo x2
Trio x2
Anole V14
Camelot
Dio
Erebus
Khoas
Maestro SE
Monachaa
Odyssey
Pathfinder
Red Halo
Sharona
Supreme V3
Omnium
Elysian X
Impact
Sho Mk2
Sultan
Canary Pro
NA12

Enigma+
Mason Le Jardin
u18s
Kr5
Khopesh
Titan
Silver HB

Up to and Including $2K Bracket

IER Z1R x26

IER Z1r wins with some authority.

Singularity x15
MEST 1/2/3 x14
Bonneville x13
IE 900 x13

CP54E x11

Monachaa x9
Crimson x9
Diva x9
Spartacus x8

u12t x7
Supermoon x6
u4s x6

Quattro x6

Monarch 1/2/3 x5
Bellos X4 x4
Maestro SE x4
Ascension x4
Nio x4
Project M x3
E12 x3
Cascara x3
Crin Zero Red x3
Supernova x3
Szalayi x3
V16 Divinity x3

Solaris x2
IE600 x2
Magic One x2
Scarlet Mini x2
TS-316 x2
Andromeda x2
Black Star x2
Loak CL2 x2
Twilight x2
Xelento 2 x2
Cadenza 12 x2
Glacier x2
Mezzo LE x2
Twin Pulse x2
Andromeda Emerald Sea x2
E5000 x2
Prestige LTD x2

Ace 2
APP 2
Avant
Fibae 5
FW 10000
Helios
Hero
HS2000mx
Hybrid 3 Pro
Hype 4
IER-M3
Inear PP8
LP1
Mach 60
Madoo 821
Mentawai
Miroak ii
S15
Seraph
Sho
TGX Ear Carbon
To Go! 334
TS-415
Type 512
U3S
Unity
Valkyire
VE8
Verdandi
Volume
X
Zero 2
Neon Pro
Butastur
Andromeda MW10
M4
Spring
Blessing 2
NHB12
Omega Ra
Mirai
Duo
Dorado 2020
IER-M7
Maestro Mini
A8000
FH9
BA7
Neo CP
8Pro
KSE 1200
Xenns Top
Unity

MH335HT
Eclipse
Rosenkranz Silver HB
Canpur CP622B Custom
Elysian Annihilator 202

Thanks to everyone who voted for this impressive list of IEMs.
What is the #2 midrange IEM in everyone's opinion?

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #82,395 of 87,835
Thought I’d share some impressions. I’m surprised I haven’t seen too many use the IEM amps in desktop setups. Though there was one having 475 paired with dCS Rossini😁

DSC_0052.jpeg

It’s definitely an analytical leaning setup. Comparing to the portable I’m most familiar to, Hugo 2, difference in staging is pretty massive. Everything extends wider and is significantly more separated adding a lot more frontal depth as well. Going straight to my 1266tc I don‘t notice as huge difference in staging size/experience which is a good feeling. Wandla is a better neutral sounding dac, adding a slightly U-shaped and analytical Mass Kobo could expectedly yield painfully detailed result. This is somewhat true - somewhat because it never pushed any sibilance through surprisingly, even the one I‘m used to with particularly recorded vocals. Example being classic Amber Rubarth album song:

Normally the opening vocal part pushes sharp. Not only it has much more open presentation, vocals are as natural as ever. Besides that hugo2 just seems more smudged and 2D in comparison. Recently I’ve had the N7 on hand for 2 weeks and found H2 to be superior sounding, although N7 signature was really nice. Will still want to replace it with the Cayin for more portable use, but gotta move slow as an irresponsible young audiophile:) Lastly, while I’m at it, bass is a lot tighter and having a harder impact, noticeable with drums and I have a great lesser known track for it:
This is truly brainmelting on 1266. I’ll share some more tracks worthy to try out:smile_phones:
First time pasting music, so hope it works🤞. Cheers to all!

Attachments

• DSC_0059.jpeg
    DSC_0059.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0063.jpeg
    DSC_0063.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back