The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 27, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #82,291 of 90,127
Is the Revelstoke named after the park?

Feb 27, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #82,292 of 90,127
I see, thanks for the reply, I will continue doing my research. Which amp did u happen to purchase
I inquired about the Sound Tiger Pure. I was told that it was “more suited towards vocals and the voices of pop singers”. Different amps may be appealing to some since each different amp has a different signature apparently. The sinfonia (which I purchased) has also been said to pair especially well with one of my daps. That’s got me even more excited to try.

Feb 27, 2024 at 3:41 AM Post #82,293 of 90,127
Feb 27, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #82,294 of 90,127
Revelstroke is a W shape (more shallow, linear W shape) vs Serratus Black Sand which has more sub / mid bass and upper mids. The presentation is quite nice as an all rounder. Enough dynamics for energetic music whilst having enough sparkle to bring details forward.

IMG_20240226_211312_879.jpg
TGX Prototype A, TGX Prototype B
Desolation Sound BS - Revelstroke - Serratus Black Sound
Totem - Sunniva - Serratus, Ripple (not pictured)

I spent a week comparing my new TGX additons this week as well as hearing a few new sets like VE Asura Pure White Shining ($900) and CAX Black Dragon ($1500). I'll use it as a base of comparison in conjunction with Serratus OG.

IMG_2213.jpg
APWS​

IMG_1844.jpg
CAX Black Dragon
There has been noticible technical upgrades with Jims sets since Serratus. Tuning intangibles aside, I found the big jump to happen during Totem. I find some of his newer sets such as Revelstroke ($450) more resolving than CAX and APWS. I'd slot Serratus OG as upper mid tier as far as single DD earbuds go. My ranking would look like this:

Summit Fi earbuds:
1. Desolation Sound DS ($650)
2. Desolation Sound OG not far behind albeit with a warmer tuning
3. Revelstroke ($450) - W Shape
4. TGX Prototype B

S Tier:
5. Cax Black Dragon ($1500) - L
6. Serratus Black Sand ($250)
7. Totem - Mid centric Warm neutral
8. Aura Pure White Shining - Warm Mid centric
9. VE Sun Copper $600 - Warm Neutral
10. TGX Sunniva - Warm W shape

Upper Mid fi:
Serratus - U shape, Ripple - Warm Mid centric, Yinman 600, VE Asura 3.0

To answer your question, Serratus OG still holds up well. I like the U shape tuning for classical and electronic. In terms of technicalities it will get you "most" of the way there but from my experience the driver R&D paid off. Going back to Revelstroke, it is warmer more refined less detail forward tuning vs OG Serratus but sounds noticibly more resolving.
Something is wrong with your Black Dragon price. It's 1.100$.

Feb 27, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #82,295 of 90,127
Had an awesome time this weekend with my bud @ulverr, met up with all kinds of toys to try between us. We had the Traillii Ti and JP, both with an Orpheus so we could do a very thorough AB (Apples to Apples) test. I also got the chance to hear the Canpur 622CB again. I'd like to share a few of my impressions while they're still fresh.

IMG_2708.jpeg

Traillii Ti - Traillii JP After a lot of back and forth, keeping both Birds armed with an Orpheus, using same tips, with LP6 Ti AE and P6 Pro HK Edition - my initial feelings and impressions are confirmed. The Ti is absolutely a Traillii, very very much so, retaining all the emotion and character of the JP, simply enhancing the whole spectrum. More resolution, more space between layers, more clarity without sacrificing musicality. The bass quantity of both, all things being equal, are essentially identical. Neither of us heard any difference in bass volume, but the bass quality, punch, reach, rumble and texture are quite noticeably better on the Ti. Mids on the Ti are more forward and staged bigger, with more definition, weight and clarity. Transients on Ti are faster, but still smooth. The treble of Ti is more even from upper mids to highest treble, perhaps could be called a smidge brighter, but to me it's more like there is no longer a lower treble dip, or the extra sparkle like I hear in the JP. It's all a bit more open and clear, more revealing but linear, and therefore doesn't sound like there is either a dip or a spike. We both felt like the Ti almost sounds more analog simply as it comes across as more linear, and less shining a flashlight on one particular part of the treble, dip or peak. Stage is just as massive as the original, but i hear more depth away from me, the extra cleanliness seems to give more room for spatial awareness and positioning.

Bottom line for me is, this is an upgrade to the Legend JP in all ways. I hear no loss of what made the JP the Legend it is, all that emotion, musicality and gorgeous timbre, it's all there. But the JP is also still phenomenal. But if you wish your Bird had punchier/deeper/faster bass, more forward mids negating the ultra spaced out/distant original, and a more linear treble while not being bright or harsh, the Ti is hard to ignore. If you prefer a softer and smoother sound, slower softer bass and more distant mids (I know there is some that do) don't bother with the Ti and save yourself a lot of cash. I for one think the Ti is worth the money, which is very strong statement. I won't go on waxing poetic here, but it's really that good.

IMG_2717.jpeg

Canpur 622CB - This one I was really harsh with, my initial impressions were fairly scalding. I don't know if the @MusicTeck Demo unit was faulty, or I was simply in a really bad headspace while I was demoing it, but I really enjoyed it this time around. While I still feel the build quality isn't anything to call home about, it's not bad at all, even quite fine compared to other resin based flagships. Paired with Orpheus, or 1950s Shielding it was phenomenal, super well tuned. Very very technical, while also staying super relaxed which is no small feat. Great bass, very clear and detailed mids that are fairly foward, nice extended treble. Stage size is fairly average, but it's so balanced that it matches perfectly, and everything feels in it's place. I don't hear and feel the BCD like I do with UM IEMs, but the positioning is very good. Something of a master of all, the tuning might be a tad flat or lacking in emotions or excitement for some, but if you give it a bit of time it's very engaging and fun. @ulverr and I both agreed it's probably the safest bet in a TOTL right now, it's great and I think 99% of people will really like it.

Bird Ti is different, but same level of technicals and performance if not a tad more. I prefer the Ti bass, it sounds and feels like a DD, and has more growl when called for, though CP is no slouch here at all. Mids are both great on both, Ti has a larger note size and weight, CP is more linear. Both very detailed. Stage size is very different, Ti is massively wide and tall, CP is more spherical. CP is the more relaxed of the two, Ti having a faster pace and slightly stronger dynamics. Some will prefer one over the other, the CP is more "correct" and reference perhaps, the Ti is more bold and emotive, while also being quite a bit more "reference" tuned over the JP.

For what it's worth I am really sorry to all if my initial impressions were negative enough about the CP to keep some of you from trying it. I spent a week with it and never heard it the way I heard it this weekend, even with the same gear, so... not sure how that happened. It is a great IEM, and should be on everyone's demo list.

IMG_2712.jpeg

The Round-Up - For the rest of my time I tried out a few others things worth mentioning.

For one I heard the Mentor again and really enjoyed it. What a great IEM, I can understand why so many love it. I hear exactly why some of you hear the AP as a big upgrade, but I can also hear why some of you prefer the Mentor still. AP has a bigger thicker more massive sound. It has quite a bit more bass and that bass is more beefy and textured. Mids are more velvety on AP, and treble is smoother. But the Mentor has this magic to it, and a more neutral tuning that works for everything and everything, while the AP is more specialized, to me at least. AP is the better IEM, and the BCD is incredible, but I still think the Mentor can be praised too.

Tried briefly the Timsok, that's a hell of an IEM for such a low price! Very coherent, great bass, very natural and realistic. The shells are so tiny, but fairly heavy. I wish we had more time, this was the last thing I heard but it is really cool.

I tried out the 50s Shielding again, and after buying and selling it twice it remains on my radar as just as good as I remember. It's a mini Orpheus, and if I hadn't downsized my collection I would never have sold it. Perhaps i will get it again for my V3 CIEMs when they arrive, that could be legend! It's a faultless cable, and still my safest and most trustworthy cable upgrade suggestion for people who ask. You can't go wrong, it's fabulous. Pairs with everything.

I have now in my possession the entire demo lineup of Rhapsodio cables for my review that's in the works. I have 8 of them, it's going to take some time, so keep a look out for that. @Solarsammy is indeed a tuning legend, his flagship cables are splendid. The purple Copper Fantasies is the most technical and fast copper cable I have ever heard, a perfect mate with the V3, but also with Traillii JP, and Jewel. The 2 wire which is quite manageable, while the 4 wire is insanely massive and heavy, but with technicals too boot. CRAZZY sounding. His new Gold cable is fantastic as well, it's the thin white one above the P6 Pro in the photo. I know most haven't heard the RSD cables, but I implore you, if you get a chance, try them out. Sonics are crazy good, especially the purple Copper Fantasies, this is Sammy's masterpiece.

Also worth mentioning, the Traillii Ti stock cable is amazingly good. Orilous W89. It looks very similar to the stock JP cable, but that's about it for similarities. Instead of the usual copper this is a silver/gold plated silver cable, and it's very detailed and vast with a bit more of an energetic vibe. Fast bass, slightly less quantity, but very punchy. Then nylon wrap is super soft and velvety too, feels really nice in the hand or wearing. This is the first stock cable I am really considering to use with it's intended partner, it's very very good.

That's all for now have a great Monday everyone! :gs1000smile:

IMG_2718.jpeg
How's your Traillii Ti coming along? Hope all's going well for you.
@RonaldS86

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #82,296 of 90,127
Had an awesome time this weekend with my bud @ulverr, met up with all kinds of toys to try between us. We had the Traillii Ti and JP, both with an Orpheus so we could do a very thorough AB (Apples to Apples) test. I also got the chance to hear the Canpur 622CB again. I'd like to share a few of my impressions while they're still fresh.

IMG_2708.jpeg

Traillii Ti - Traillii JP After a lot of back and forth, keeping both Birds armed with an Orpheus, using same tips, with LP6 Ti AE and P6 Pro HK Edition - my initial feelings and impressions are confirmed. The Ti is absolutely a Traillii, very very much so, retaining all the emotion and character of the JP, simply enhancing the whole spectrum. More resolution, more space between layers, more clarity without sacrificing musicality. The bass quantity of both, all things being equal, are essentially identical. Neither of us heard any difference in bass volume, but the bass quality, punch, reach, rumble and texture are quite noticeably better on the Ti. Mids on the Ti are more forward and staged bigger, with more definition, weight and clarity. Transients on Ti are faster, but still smooth. The treble of Ti is more even from upper mids to highest treble, perhaps could be called a smidge brighter, but to me it's more like there is no longer a lower treble dip, or the extra sparkle like I hear in the JP. It's all a bit more open and clear, more revealing but linear, and therefore doesn't sound like there is either a dip or a spike. We both felt like the Ti almost sounds more analog simply as it comes across as more linear, and less shining a flashlight on one particular part of the treble, dip or peak. Stage is just as massive as the original, but i hear more depth away from me, the extra cleanliness seems to give more room for spatial awareness and positioning.

Bottom line for me is, this is an upgrade to the Legend JP in all ways. I hear no loss of what made the JP the Legend it is, all that emotion, musicality and gorgeous timbre, it's all there. But the JP is also still phenomenal. But if you wish your Bird had punchier/deeper/faster bass, more forward mids negating the ultra spaced out/distant original, and a more linear treble while not being bright or harsh, the Ti is hard to ignore. If you prefer a softer and smoother sound, slower softer bass and more distant mids (I know there is some that do) don't bother with the Ti and save yourself a lot of cash. I for one think the Ti is worth the money, which is very strong statement. I won't go on waxing poetic here, but it's really that good.

IMG_2717.jpeg

Canpur 622CB - This one I was really harsh with, my initial impressions were fairly scalding. I don't know if the @MusicTeck Demo unit was faulty, or I was simply in a really bad headspace while I was demoing it, but I really enjoyed it this time around. While I still feel the build quality isn't anything to call home about, it's not bad at all, even quite fine compared to other resin based flagships. Paired with Orpheus, or 1950s Shielding it was phenomenal, super well tuned. Very very technical, while also staying super relaxed which is no small feat. Great bass, very clear and detailed mids that are fairly foward, nice extended treble. Stage size is fairly average, but it's so balanced that it matches perfectly, and everything feels in it's place. I don't hear and feel the BCD like I do with UM IEMs, but the positioning is very good. Something of a master of all, the tuning might be a tad flat or lacking in emotions or excitement for some, but if you give it a bit of time it's very engaging and fun. @ulverr and I both agreed it's probably the safest bet in a TOTL right now, it's great and I think 99% of people will really like it.

Bird Ti is different, but same level of technicals and performance if not a tad more. I prefer the Ti bass, it sounds and feels like a DD, and has more growl when called for, though CP is no slouch here at all. Mids are both great on both, Ti has a larger note size and weight, CP is more linear. Both very detailed. Stage size is very different, Ti is massively wide and tall, CP is more spherical. CP is the more relaxed of the two, Ti having a faster pace and slightly stronger dynamics. Some will prefer one over the other, the CP is more "correct" and reference perhaps, the Ti is more bold and emotive, while also being quite a bit more "reference" tuned over the JP.

For what it's worth I am really sorry to all if my initial impressions were negative enough about the CP to keep some of you from trying it. I spent a week with it and never heard it the way I heard it this weekend, even with the same gear, so... not sure how that happened. It is a great IEM, and should be on everyone's demo list.

IMG_2712.jpeg

The Round-Up - For the rest of my time I tried out a few others things worth mentioning.

For one I heard the Mentor again and really enjoyed it. What a great IEM, I can understand why so many love it. I hear exactly why some of you hear the AP as a big upgrade, but I can also hear why some of you prefer the Mentor still. AP has a bigger thicker more massive sound. It has quite a bit more bass and that bass is more beefy and textured. Mids are more velvety on AP, and treble is smoother. But the Mentor has this magic to it, and a more neutral tuning that works for everything and everything, while the AP is more specialized, to me at least. AP is the better IEM, and the BCD is incredible, but I still think the Mentor can be praised too.

Tried briefly the Timsok, that's a hell of an IEM for such a low price! Very coherent, great bass, very natural and realistic. The shells are so tiny, but fairly heavy. I wish we had more time, this was the last thing I heard but it is really cool.

I tried out the 50s Shielding again, and after buying and selling it twice it remains on my radar as just as good as I remember. It's a mini Orpheus, and if I hadn't downsized my collection I would never have sold it. Perhaps i will get it again for my V3 CIEMs when they arrive, that could be legend! It's a faultless cable, and still my safest and most trustworthy cable upgrade suggestion for people who ask. You can't go wrong, it's fabulous. Pairs with everything.

I have now in my possession the entire demo lineup of Rhapsodio cables for my review that's in the works. I have 8 of them, it's going to take some time, so keep a look out for that. @Solarsammy is indeed a tuning legend, his flagship cables are splendid. The purple Copper Fantasies is the most technical and fast copper cable I have ever heard, a perfect mate with the V3, but also with Traillii JP, and Jewel. The 2 wire which is quite manageable, while the 4 wire is insanely massive and heavy, but with technicals too boot. CRAZZY sounding. His new Gold cable is fantastic as well, it's the thin white one above the P6 Pro in the photo. I know most haven't heard the RSD cables, but I implore you, if you get a chance, try them out. Sonics are crazy good, especially the purple Copper Fantasies, this is Sammy's masterpiece.

Also worth mentioning, the Traillii Ti stock cable is amazingly good. Orilous W89. It looks very similar to the stock JP cable, but that's about it for similarities. Instead of the usual copper this is a silver/gold plated silver cable, and it's very detailed and vast with a bit more of an energetic vibe. Fast bass, slightly less quantity, but very punchy. Then nylon wrap is super soft and velvety too, feels really nice in the hand or wearing. This is the first stock cable I am really considering to use with it's intended partner, it's very very good.

That's all for now have a great Monday everyone! :gs1000smile:

IMG_2718.jpeg
Thank you for such fantastic notes. Great way to write impressions. 🙏

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #82,297 of 90,127
Tuesday update:

Survey results so far:

Over $2K Bracket

Annihilator x25
Traillii/Ti x19
Trifecta x18

Xe6 x14
Rn6 x12

Amber Pearl x12
Fei Wan x11

Storm x11
Mentor x11

VEX x10
CP622B x9
Raven x6

APX x5
Ronin x5
Grand Maestro x5
Perpetua x5
Viking x4
EXT x3
Jewel x3
Aura x3
Volur x3

Creator x2
Phonix/LE x2
Legend X x2
Mason FS x2
Odin x2
Thummim x2
u/a12t x2
Duality x2
Fourte x2

Anole V14
Camelot
Dio
DC TI
Erebus
Khoas
Maestro SE
Monachaa
Odyssey
Pathfinder
Red Halo
Sharona
Supreme V3
Omnium
Elysian X
Trio
Impact
Sho Mk2
Legend Evo
Sultan

Up to and Including $2K Bracket

IER Z1R x20

Singularity x16
Bonneville x13
MEST 1/2/3 x12
IE 900 x11

CP54E x9
Monachaa x8
Crimson x8
Diva x7
Spartacus x6
Supermoon x6

u4s x5
Bellos X4 x4
Monarch 1/2/3 x5
Maestro SE x4
Ascension x3
Project M x3
E12 x3
Nio x4
Quattro x4

Cascara x3
IE600 x2
Magic One x2
Scarlet Mini x2
TS-316 x2
u12t x5
Crin Zero Red x2
Andromeda x2
Black Star x2
Loak CL2 x2
Twilight x2
elento 2 x2

Ace 2
APP 2
Avant
Cadenza 12
Fibae 5
FW 10000
Glacier
Helios
Hero
HS2000mx
Hybrid 3 Pro
Hype 4
IER-M3
Inear PP8
LP1
Mach 60
Madoo 821
Mezzo LE
Mentawai
Miroak ii
S15
Seraph
Sho
Solaris x2
Supernova x3
Szalayi x3
TGX Ear Carbon
To Go! 334
TS-415
Twin Pulse x2
Type 512
U3S
Unity
V16 Divinity x2
Valkyire
VE8
Verdandi
Volume
X
Zero 2
Andromeda Emerald Sea x2
E5000
Neon Pro
Butastur
Andromeda MW10
M4
Spring
Blessing 2
NHB12
Omega Ra
Mirai
Prestige LTD
Duo
Dorado 2020
IER-M7
Maestro Mini
A8000
FH9
Neo CP

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #82,298 of 90,127
Tuesday update:

Survey results so far:

Over $2K Bracket

Annihilator x25
Traillii/Ti x19
Trifecta x18

Xe6 x14
Rn6 x12

Amber Pearl x12
Fei Wan x11

Storm x11
Mentor x11

VEX x10
CP622B x9
Raven x6

APX x5
Ronin x5
Grand Maestro x5
Perpetua x5
Viking x4
EXT x3
Jewel x3
Aura x3
Volur x3

Creator x2
Phonix/LE x2
Legend X x2
Mason FS x2
Odin x2
Thummim x2
u/a12t x2
Duality x2
Fourte x2

Anole V14
Camelot
Dio
DC TI
Erebus
Khoas
Maestro SE
Monachaa
Odyssey
Pathfinder
Red Halo
Sharona
Supreme V3
Omnium
Elysian X
Trio
Impact
Sho Mk2
Legend Evo
Sultan

Up to and Including $2K Bracket

IER Z1R x20

Singularity x16
Bonneville x13
MEST 1/2/3 x12
IE 900 x11

CP54E x9
Monachaa x8
Crimson x8
Diva x7
Spartacus x6
Supermoon x6

u4s x5
Bellos X4 x4
Monarch 1/2/3 x5
Maestro SE x4
Ascension x3
Project M x3
E12 x3
Nio x4
Quattro x4

Cascara x3
IE600 x2
Magic One x2
Scarlet Mini x2
TS-316 x2
u12t x5
Crin Zero Red x2
Andromeda x2
Black Star x2
Loak CL2 x2
Twilight x2
elento 2 x2

Ace 2
APP 2
Avant
Cadenza 12
Fibae 5
FW 10000
Glacier
Helios
Hero
HS2000mx
Hybrid 3 Pro
Hype 4
IER-M3
Inear PP8
LP1
Mach 60
Madoo 821
Mezzo LE
Mentawai
Miroak ii
S15
Seraph
Sho
Solaris x2
Supernova x3
Szalayi x3
TGX Ear Carbon
To Go! 334
TS-415
Twin Pulse x2
Type 512
U3S
Unity
V16 Divinity x2
Valkyire
VE8
Verdandi
Volume
X
Zero 2
Andromeda Emerald Sea x2
E5000
Neon Pro
Butastur
Andromeda MW10
M4
Spring
Blessing 2
NHB12
Omega Ra
Mirai
Prestige LTD
Duo
Dorado 2020
IER-M7
Maestro Mini
A8000
FH9
Neo CP
U12t is now on both lists, Jeff. Does it mean it actually has 7 votes?

drftr

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #82,300 of 90,127
U12t is now on both lists, Jeff. Does it mean it actually has 7 votes?

drftr

I've been puzzling about that one, as a vote in the upper tier is not qualitatively equivalent to a vote in the lower tier. I'm content to leave it as is given the 12t is a special case as an IEM that has appeared in both price brackets over time.

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #82,301 of 90,127
easy just try to find a measurement, that prooves burnin is real. wait, you cant? done!
How exactly will you measure timbre, instrument separation, soundstage depth, width, height, PRaT, micro and macro dynamics, et cetera? We're open to your suggestions.

drftr

Feb 27, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #82,302 of 90,127
there we go again, a Messurement Scientist.

Feb 27, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #82,303 of 90,127
FTS new vs FTS with plenty of hours, can assure you the difference was very audible, no placebo involved!

Feb 27, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #82,304 of 90,127
64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Feb 27, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #82,305 of 90,127
Hey guys! Here's my review of PMG Audio APX, their one and only flagship 11 driver tri-brid IEM (1DD + 8BA + Rectangular Planar sub-woofer + Round Planar tweeter). Sorry, been keeping very busy and hardly finding time to keep up with reviews and Head-fi but I finally managed to get this out and thought I'll share it here right away for everyone interested. Hope it's an informative read. Enjoy!

Seems we have all heard the same things 😁😅😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back