The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 21, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #81,916 of 90,058
Looking at 3 options for a new toy for my collection. Which of these do the great and good of the watercooler tribe think would be my best purchase?

1. ibasso DC elite

2. Luxury and Precision W4

And the wild card in the options
3.Sony ZX707(Japanese edition)
DC Elite has taken up a lot of my recent listening time. Sounds fantastic with fuller-sounding sets like Ronin and Trifecta. Great air and soundstage but more precise than the RU7.

RU7 is the best value of all to me - incredible depth and musicality. A tad less attack on the transients, typical of 1-bit.

W4 was my biggest let-down of last year. Not as musical as RU7, nor as good with depth, costs a bunch more and still not the precision or dynamism of the DC Elite.

On a budget with neutral/brighter sets RU7 is still the leader.

Bass/full/warm sets = DC Elite

This is why I have both!

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #81,917 of 90,058
DC Elite has taken up a lot of my recent listening time. Sounds fantastic with fuller-sounding sets like Ronin and Trifecta. Great air and soundstage but more precise than the RU7.

RU7 is the best value of all to me - incredible depth and musicality. A tad less attack on the transients, typical of 1-bit.

W4 was my biggest let-down of last year. Not as musical as RU7, nor as good with depth, costs a bunch more and still not the precision or dynamism of the DC Elite.

On a budget with neutral/brighter sets RU7 is still the leader.

Bass/full/warm sets = DC Elite

This is why I have both!
I have the Hiby FC4 and have been interested in trying the RU6 r2r do see if I can hear aby difference. The RU7 looks intriguing too

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #81,918 of 90,058
I have the Hiby FC4 and have been interested in trying the RU6 r2r do see if I can hear aby difference. The RU7 looks intriguing too
RU6 is the GOAT for me atm.

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #81,919 of 90,058
I would take the FC6 over the Ru6 and Ru7. I also enjoy the M15. FC6 is more rolled off treble with a bit of warmer tone. M15 is a bit v shape with a lot of dynamics. There are so many dongles out there; it's a bit overwhelming to try them all.

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #81,920 of 90,058
I would take the FC6 over the Ru6 and Ru7. I also enjoy the M15. FC6 is more rolled off treble with a bit of warmer tone. M15 is a bit v shape with a lot of dynamics. There are so many dongles out there; it's a bit overwhelming to try them all.
Would the warmer sounding FC6 not pair well with warmer iems?

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #81,922 of 90,058
Would the warmer sounding FC6 not pair well with warmer iems?
It can. I think it would depend how much warmth you like. The treble roll off might not be to your liking either. I don't like FC6 with my A12t or Meteor, but it's great with Annihilator.

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #81,923 of 90,058
Looking at 3 options for a new toy for my collection. Which of these do the great and good of the watercooler tribe think would be my best purchase?

1. ibasso DC elite

2. Luxury and Precision W4

And the wild card in the options
3.Sony ZX707(Japanese edition)
To me, the DC Elite is honestly in a league of its own when it comes to dongles. The W4 can sound noticeably sweeter and a little warmer in the mids at times, so if that's your thing keep that in mind, but if you really prefer that (and don't mind slightly lower resolution) then check out the RU6. The RU6 has a tube-like glow to its mids. The DC Elite is not cold either, but it definitely leans more reference for the mids, which is why I think it pairs well with warmer IEMs. What really gets me with the DC Elite is the tightness of the low end, which is truly impressive and reminds me of higher end DAPs. I also find the DC Elite has a blacker background and higher resolution than the W4. Outside of dongles, I'll just say that my DX300 has been getting very little use. No clue about the ZX707 though, haven't heard it.

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #81,924 of 90,058
In your review, I saw a picture of your headphone holders. I noticed you have what looks like foam tubing on them. I'm looking for something similar for my headphone racks (I use toilet paper roll holders). I was going back and forth between using black pool noodles or insulation tubing, but I'm not sure which would work best. What are yours?
I work in construction during daytime, and what I have there is insulation for pipes. Its almost like Neoprene, cheaper and less durable. But good for making the headphone holders more padded.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #81,925 of 90,058
It can. I think it would depend how much warmth you like. The treble roll off might not be to your liking either. I don't like FC6 with my A12t or Meteor, but it's great with Annihilator.
My favorite iems that I have atm are the Volume. They aren't necessarily warm though. The other one I really like right now is the MagicOne and they might not pair great with a warmer source.

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #81,926 of 90,058
Feb 21, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #81,927 of 90,058
My favorite iems that I have atm are the Volume. They aren't necessarily warm though. The other one I really like right now is the MagicOne and they might not pair great with a warmer source.
Honestly, based on the stuff you seem to be using, I would just use the apple dongle. I don't know it's really worth getting a dongle the same price as your IEM when you can just get a better IEM.

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #81,928 of 90,058
Honestly, based on the stuff you seem to be using, I would just use the apple dongle. I don't know it's really worth getting a dongle the same price as your IEM when you can just get a better IEM.
Sounds reasonable

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #81,929 of 90,058
After 5 months of waiting today was the day that the sub arrived. 750lbs of physicality. Somehow the sweet spot has grown to the entire room.

IMG_3498.jpeg

The second amp in the stack is for the sub.

The cross over for the sub is mounted behind the main racks out of sight.

IMG_3497.jpeg

First hours of listening
I am very pleased with the upgrade.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #81,930 of 90,058

Users who are viewing this thread

Back