The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 21, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #81,901 of 91,375
The DC Elite is probably candidate for best gear of the year for me. The value proposition is off the charts and it sounds better than many DAP's hovering around the 1K mark.

Its shortcomings? Well, can't use Wavelet/ AutoEQ as I can with DAP's, and the volume wheel isn't as practical as click buttons.

The main pro's are versatility (not being bound by a DAP) with my smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc & just very good dynamic sound without much coloration.
+1 with these comments on DC-Elite. I'm finding it to be a terrific backup to my N30 when it's charging, I would argue its SQ is equivalent or better than many DAPs double its price. It is super versatile for many use cases. Plus it has an adapter cable so it can be charged through a power bank while playing off a phone.

The downside is the volume wheel, which is a significant UI/UX party foul for me. I can never get just the right volume level and there is a crackle jolt in between attenuator steps. Also there is no EQ app for iPhone as there is for Android phones. These flaws don't outweigh the excellent pluses however. Everyone can use a jolt now and then :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #81,902 of 91,375
Well, what they’re working on now is how to avoid that very problem. I assume when it does come out, they’ll have already worked out most (if not all) of the production kinks.

An early prototype with unfinished treble was, yes.
I am hearing that they are working towards creating a new facility in partnership with Effect Audio in China for assembling the IEMs.

The aim is to not keep the customer waiting too long, have better QC and customer interaction / service.

Not sure how much of this is the truth or just a rumor.

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #81,903 of 91,375
Below are the changes made on the Traillii Ti, from what I know according to Oriolus official and some other sources:

1. Adjustment of coating thickness on the 0.78 pins
2. Improved method of tin soldering
3. Adjustment of cable core material and braiding method
4. Upgraded internal wiring
5. Different shell material
6. Slightly change on position of bass drivers
If this is true, I can only wonder how much it affected the sound.

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #81,904 of 91,375
Funny thing Is im also interested in the Dita Project M.
Only if you need a neutral sound. Almost as neutral as you can imagine. In a very short and general way, Dita took the Dream XLS, very carefully supplemented it with BA and released it for $300 in a luxurious transparent shell.

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #81,905 of 91,375
DDHiFi cases landed today, very nice quality as always and I’ll be using both for the Amsterdam meet up… not necessarily with contents below, purely for illustrative purposes :)

CZ180 & CZ300

IMG_1485.jpeg

IMG_1487.jpeg

For size context, the RS8 is in the case here -

IMG_1488.jpeg

IMG_1489.jpeg

IMG_1490.jpeg

IMG_1491.jpeg

IMG_1492.jpeg

Panels arranged here to fit RS8, LPGT Ti, Turii Ti, Perpetua and IE900.

IMG_1493.jpeg
Wow, your cases are growing so fast! What do you feed them?))

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #81,906 of 91,375
Only if you need a neutral sound. Almost as neutral as you can imagine.
Big YMMV, but I actually find it quite mid-high focused and dry, at least on LPGT and SP3000. Sopranos sound good, but certain instruments like violins lose texture and body. That said, it is a decent offering by Dita, but I do not find it along the lines of neutral.

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #81,907 of 91,375
$5000 cables. $9000 IEM. Where's $250 eartips at?
Don't worry, they are not far away. Beside the $50 Brass tip, there is already this $199 Eartune Fidelity, if you also have to order DIY ear impression, total will sum up to $279.99

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #81,908 of 91,375
Feb 21, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #81,910 of 91,375
Looking at 3 options for a new toy for my collection. Which of these do the great and good of the watercooler tribe think would be my best purchase?

1. ibasso DC elite

2. Luxury and Precision W4

And the wild card in the options
3.Sony ZX707(Japanese edition)

1. DC Elite has huge soundstage as a dongle, with bright airy treble, sweet vocality, and tight bass. Clean and spacious. The downsides are a bit heavy and hard to change the volume control. Also, due to stepped attenuator, when change the volume you will hear the static noise from your IEM.

2. My most favourite dongle. Balance sound, a little warm, very smooth, fuller body tonality, with even sweeter vocal than ibasso. A bit more intimate presentation, but still bigger soundstage than typical Cayin Ru7/Questyle M15. Much lighter weight than DC Elite, and has no problem at all with ALPS Potentiometer

4. I never like sony dap, except WM1Z series.

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #81,911 of 91,375
Hey folks.
I just finished my review on the new flagship DAP HIBY R8 in the beautiful Bordeaux Red, I for one love the R8 II. Feel free to read, cheers.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hiby-r8-ii.27046/review/33072/

In your review, I saw a picture of your headphone holders. I noticed you have what looks like foam tubing on them. I'm looking for something similar for my headphone racks (I use toilet paper roll holders). I was going back and forth between using black pool noodles or insulation tubing, but I'm not sure which would work best. What are yours?

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #81,912 of 91,375
Don't worry, they are not far away. Beside the $50 Brass tip, there is already this $199 Eartune Fidelity, if you also have to order DIY ear impression, total will sum up to $279.99

That's actually very interesting custom molded ear tip! Considering the price for custom fit IEM I think that $200-$280 tip is actually reasonable especially for people with unusual ear anatomy or really like an IEM with not so ideal fit

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #81,913 of 91,375
That's actually very interesting custom molded ear tip! Considering the price for custom fit IEM I think that $200-$280 tip is actually reasonable especially for people with unusual ear anatomy or really like an IEM with not so ideal fit
Just wondering if there is someone starts to use 3D printer to build customized eartips like this.

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #81,914 of 91,375
They have actually gone up in price by $50 since I last bought a pair back in 2020 for my z1r. Unfortunately, the z1r were so large and heavy that they still pulled on my ears quite a bit and I still had discomfort and ended up selling the z1r. Been stuck with a fairly useless pair of large custom molded eartips since.

I did however just order another pair for my singularity. Love the singularity, but the fit is really not ideal. Tried them with an older pair of custom art custom molded tips and really liked what the better seal did to the bass, so I figured, might as well jump back in. Hoping they work better for me with the singularity than they did with the z1r, otherwise, there goes $200 that ill never see again.

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #81,915 of 91,375
I am hearing that they are working towards creating a new facility in partnership with Effect Audio in China for assembling the IEMs.

The aim is to not keep the customer waiting too long, have better QC and customer interaction / service.

Not sure how much of this is the truth or just a rumor.
Yeah, Effect have been helping them assemble IEMs since the Gaea a couple years ago. Now, Lee’s training that same staff to build the Dio’s complex internals.

Only if you need a neutral sound. Almost as neutral as you can imagine. In a very short and general way, Dita took the Dream XLS, very carefully supplemented it with BA and released it for $300 in a luxurious transparent shell.
I’m with @nocturne19. They’re definitely on the thin-and-bright side, whereas the Dream XLS was neutral-natural to me. The M resembles the original Dream more than the XLS IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back