The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 2, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #80,476 of 88,419
Curious which CustomArts?
And I would highly suggest considering the XE6 though your keeping Trifecta so perhaps you would compliment better with the slightly tamer RN6. Some of what you wrote said to me that you want more of a rumble in the bass.
Currently I have the CustomArt 3H Pro and Fibae 7U.

Agree with you on your thinking if the RN6, it's one of the options that I thinking about

Feb 2, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #80,477 of 88,419
These days 12+ hours is good.
~8-10 hours is ok
~7 hours is low

Less than 6 is inexcusable/unusable for something meant to be portable...IMHO. And with battery life it's pretty much always the case that it is, if anyting, a little less than advertised.

Yeah, I get where you are coming from, Jeff. I think the P6Pro probably runs for slightly over 7 hours. Hence, this was a bit surprising. But it is what it is.

One thing though, as I was saying on one of the LP threads: the LP6 actually runs at most to 6 hours. And the LP6 Ti AE likely runs less. So, if LP7 comes out in the same form factor and, unless battery tech improves to pack more into the same size, the LP7 will not have any better battery life.

I am only mentioning this because I see folks anticipating much from the long awaited LP7. I have no doubt it will be a great sounding DAP. But it will not have android and streaming for sure. Nor will it win prizes for battery life. The focus will likely remain maximizing sound quality, as always has been the focus for the LP team.

Just wanted to call that out. Sanity check. :)

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #80,478 of 88,419
Describing the satisfaction I’m experiencing here is beyond words. My expectations were quite low with running an external amp from my 1ZM2 without LO, but the amplification out of 1ZM2 is so freaking clean. Hats off to Sony.

WM1ZM2>Brise Interconnect>MASS-kobo 475>Stock Eletech>Noble Ronin

IMG_2113.jpeg

Feb 2, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #80,479 of 88,419
A bit of a mix post

Have a few IEM's coming in (Flipears Artha and GAudio Tian) but the shipment is coming in delayed.

Currently enjoying comparing Hybrids:

CustomArt Hybrid 3Pro/DITA Project M/ FatFreq Mini (& Meze Advar and Madoo 512 as an additional layer) taking advantage of some downtime prior to hitting the road again for work.

Simple comparison: I find the CustomArt and Madoo to be tied for 1st on my preference using a mix of Live and Indie type music and using a few Hip Hop/Soul tracks. Followed by DITA Project M and Meze, the Meze has some darkness to it , but their tuning is a bit different.

The Madoo is like "all weather fighter jet" and the tuning for the mids and the highs seems aligned with CustomArt, but the Bass is really has more energy.

What surprise me is that bass of the FatFreq mini did not do much for me and felt the other IEM's covered the spectrum a lot better and with better rumble. Oh well.

Next Step:

Looking at my current IEMs, after coming back from work travel, will be posting for sale Campfire Audio Supermoon Universal 2023 , Madoo 821 and Unique Melody Max (HK only version).

Would keep CA Trifecta, 64 Audio Volur, FAudio Mezze LTE and the hybrids listed previously plus the new arrivals.

as I am looking to buy some other IEM's looking for some thoughts:

• Fir Audio RN6.
  • Noble Audio Ronin or Kublai Khan.
  • Was thinking about Dita Perpetua but concerned about fit. Had problems with the XLS and the Twins (Fealty/Fidelity).
  • Not sure of FatFreq Grand Maestro, but on my listening not finding the bass of the Mini as appealing as others have described.
Any additional suggestions , I know a few others IEM reside above the $3200 watermark, not 100% sure I want to push in that territory.
I just started experimenting with the $1,500 - $2,500 MRP range and following are the IEMs I have ordered

Alambic Ears Mentawai
CraftEars Omnium

On my list in this range is
Acoustune HS 2000 MK 3

If I can manage to go a bit higher to $2,500 - $3,000 MRP range, the following are my preferences.

Nightjar Duality - Yet to be released
7th Acoustics Asteria - Yet to be released

I usually don't buy pre-owned units but would make an exception for the following:

FIR Audio RN6
CFA Trifecta

I haven't tried Dita Perpetua but the Acoustune HS 2000 MK3 looks more interesting to me as of now.

Feb 2, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #80,481 of 88,419
I just started experimenting with the $1,500 - $2,500 MRP range and following are the IEMs I have ordered

Alambic Ears Mentawai
CraftEars Omnium

On my list in this range is
Acoustune HS 2000 MK 3

If I can manage to go a bit higher to $2,500 - $3,000 MRP range, the following are my preferences.

Nightjar Duality - Yet to be released
7th Acoustics Asteria - Yet to be released

I usually don't buy pre-owned units but would make an exception for the following:

FIR Audio RN6
CFA Trifecta

I haven't tried Dita Perpetua but the Acoustune HS 2000 MK3 looks more interesting to me as of now.
Thanks for that a few that I did not think about 😀

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #80,483 of 88,419
Has anyone seen this? It’s a new Jomo Audio IEM that looks like it may be pretty good.

https://shop.musicteck.com/products/jomo-audio-instinct-iems-emerald-green
IMG_20240203_115633_303.jpg

Had the chance to try these out at Joseph's workshop. It's a variant of their Alpha and Impulse Ti. Jomo isn't afraid to deviate from market trends to tune what he believes to be the ideal type of sound for hifi enjoyment.

These are unabashedly massive in its dual DD bass response. They pump air like nobody's business, highlighting even the most subtle of basslines in busy rock mixes. The kind which would go almost unnoticed in even the most "detailed" of IEMs following a 200Hz bass shelf.

The Instinct IEM follows the usual reviewer/marketing trope of massive bass, lush mids and clear highs. The bombastic bass separates itself from what I remember to be "fat" mids, without sacrificing treble detail. Striking this balance in tuning is a skill.

It's a different kind of listen, pretty refreshing compared to contenders in its price realm and above. I like it, would recommend a demo at the upcoming canjams.
IMG_20240203_115633_661.jpg

If the instinct is way out of budget, I find the new 408H Skyline to be somewhat of a "lite" version. But performs well enough for me to get my own ciem unit which I absolutely adore.
IMG_20240203_121733_823.jpg

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #80,484 of 88,419
I received my Bonneville back today after a couple weeks on the road and man I'd forgotten what a compelling package this IEM is for me. Great bass, sub & mid-bass balance is spot on for me, great timbre, staging, imaging etc. And as per usual for me lately beautiful synergy with the 1Z. There is a world not far away where I could live with this combo exclusively and be totally satisfied.

55F6912D-CCCF-4542-8037-82F601EBBF03.JPEG

In other news I have the Rhapsodio Supreme 3 burning in (feels so weird to leave an setup playing when I'm not listening to it) and should have an Aura in my hands later courtesy of @JasonNYC.

Also, 5 weeks today and I'll be on my way to NYC...time is flying!!!
this made me smile. Not that i have ever heard either, but it was the sentiment that we can derive great pleasure from more economical set ups.

this is my equivalent (zx707+Madoo 821) and would be great to see what the rest of the coolers use as great pairings that are gentler on the wallet.

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-03 at 08.12.21.jpeg

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:29 PM Post #80,485 of 88,419
If it has any switches, equalizer, whatever, then it's out. You know me...
drftr
Try out the Denon PerL Pro, it's based on the NuraPods which measure your ear and EQ based on your hearing :)

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #80,487 of 88,419
A friend of mine just took this in a town close by:

424656256_1719360045222481_7884555639115728176_n.jpg

Life in beautiful BC.

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #80,488 of 88,419
this made me smile. Not that i have ever heard either, but it was the sentiment that we can derive great pleasure from more economical set ups.

this is my equivalent (zx707+Madoo 821) and would be great to see what the rest of the coolers use as great pairings that are gentler on the wallet.

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-03 at 08.12.21.jpeg
They are gorgeous.

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #80,489 of 88,419
IMG_20240203_115633_303.jpg
Had the chance to try these out at Joseph's workshop. It's a variant of their Alpha and Impulse Ti. Jomo isn't afraid to deviate from market trends to tune what he believes to be the ideal type of sound for hifi enjoyment.

These are unabashedly massive in its dual DD bass response. They pump air like nobody's business, highlighting even the most subtle of basslines in busy rock mixes. The kind which would go almost unnoticed in even the most "detailed" of IEMs following a 200Hz bass shelf.

The Instinct IEM follows the usual reviewer/marketing trope of massive bass, lush mids and clear highs. The bombastic bass separates itself from what I remember to be "fat" mids, without sacrificing treble detail. Striking this balance in tuning is a skill.

It's a different kind of listen, pretty refreshing compared to contenders in its price realm and above. I like it, would recommend a demo at the upcoming canjams.
IMG_20240203_115633_661.jpg

If the instinct is way out of budget, I find the new 408H Skyline to be somewhat of a "lite" version. But performs well enough for me to get my own ciem unit which I absolutely adore.
IMG_20240203_121733_823.jpg
Wow, interesting.

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #80,490 of 88,419
I don’t think anyone is mad?

It is a $3300 DAP at minimum and has a rated 5H batt life from balanced out. Merely an observation to say the least, I have zero interest in LP products myself as they don’t have streaming. However, if I was in the market for a non-android DAP the rated battery run time would probably be an issue.
I’m not mad at the DAP at all, I just think that for the price you should be getting 10 hours at least…
Cmon now gents, semantics and a thesaurus aside you know what I mean
These days 12+ hours is good.
~8-10 hours is ok
~7 hours is low

Less than 6 is inexcusable/unusable for something meant to be portable...IMHO. And with battery life it's pretty much always the case that it is, if anyting, a little less than advertised.
Arguable anything that requires a charge every second day is inexcusable (usable though)

I feel like it's more:
12+ hours is nigh impossible these days and elite company
10-12 is excellent
8-10 is good
Under that is: why does it exist? Get a desktop source

Users who are viewing this thread

Back