The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 25, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #79,561 of 91,358
We are still getting there, one more day to go :), but I have noticed many replying with their simplified dongle/IEM setups. So, how about I post something completely opposite, especially for my usual portable comfort zone :D

Here is the burn-in setup I'm running with the latest iBasso toys, starting with DX260 DAP -> D16 (1bit discrete dac/amp) -> PB5 (dual NuTube amp) -> 3T-154 (15.4mm DD IEMs).

1706035566458.png
  • Is this ibasso 3T-154 for bassheads?

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #79,563 of 91,358
Probably HiBy, NightJar, and Elysian. I’m also torn between iBasso and Cayin DAPs but right now I think HiBy are putting out the best products overall.
I would go iBasso, NightJar and Noble

Strong runner up would be Hiby, PWA and Unique Melody.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #79,564 of 91,358
IEM:
Unique Melody, Campfire Audio, FIR Audio

DAP:
Luxury Precision, Sony, Cayin (N30LE/AP only)

Cable:
Eletech @Eric Chong , PW Audio, Viking Weave Cables @skedra

The holy trinity from this trinity... Unique Melody, Luxury Precision, Eletech
Dang, there are too many good vendors.

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #79,565 of 91,358
Fei Wan
Grand Maestro
Maestro SE
Craft Ears Omnium

oh wow. that's great, love to hear them compared to some real heavy hitters!

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #79,566 of 91,358
Interesting survey question...what is your personal holy trinity? It can be a combo of IEM makers, cable makers or DAP makers.

Mine would be Sony, Eletech, Campfire.

Female vocals perhaps...I always found male vocals a touch nasal on the Elysium. The best vocals I've ever heard would probably be Amber Pearl. Traillii is up there too.
I've had nothing but consistent success with

Fir Audio, Elysian, and HiBy

Schiit and 64 Audio are very close....

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #79,567 of 91,358
I understand this thread has become almost exclusively devoted to IEMs at this point, but I'm wondering if anyone here can weigh in on the actual sound quality of something like this:

https://hypebeast.com/2023/12/takahiromiyashitathesoloist-flatiron-speaker-release-info

Acknowledge that I know virtually nothing about home speaker wattages or the like. I'm considering eyeing one of these at discount for a family home entertainment setup for dual use for movies and music (general listening rather than clinical listening). My gut take is it's entirely overpriced gimmick based solely on aesthetic, but I'm wondering if there's anything out there at around half that list msrp that might be recommended as sounding decent while perhaps also doubling as visually interesting home decor. Not expecting a lot of replies to this but figured I'd put out feelers.
I haven't heard them, but since they've showed up on hypebeast, I'm sure you'd be paying more for fashion over function.

I'm a fan of KEF's wireless speakers. I think they look great, sound great, and they're easy to set up since they don't require any extra equipment like a DAC or amp. They also have a bunch of input options, both wired and wireless. I have their near-field LSX II speakers set up at my desk with the KC62 sub. They're a happy medium between the run-of-the-mill powered PC speakers and filling up my desk with more DACs, amps, and passive speakers.

If you're looking for speakers for a bigger room though, you'll probably have to move up to the LS50 or LS60 to better fill the room.
https://us.kef.com/collections/wireless-hifi-speakers

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #79,568 of 91,358
Interesting survey question...what is your personal holy trinity? It can be a combo of IEM makers, cable makers or DAP makers.

Unique Melody/Fir Audio, Effect Audio/Plussound (Though I have very few experience in cable), Cayin/Hiby. Sony is great but since they won't release Z2R they are disqualified by me.

BTW, why Musicteck does not carry Ibasso products?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #79,569 of 91,358
Elysian, Effect Audio, Cayin

Jan 25, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #79,570 of 91,358
Aroma, NGAudio, Campfire.

Though rumor has it NGA is the developer for Aroma's IEMs (at the least, Fen Wei), in which case I only have a Holy Duality.

edit: if it's a duality, then I add Cayin to restore a trinity.

can anyone confirm this? That would explain the high praise I've seen for NGA's iems.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #79,571 of 91,358

Female vocals perhaps...I always found male vocals a touch nasal on the Elysium. The best vocals I've ever heard would probably be Amber Pearl. Traillii is up there too.
✨✨Sony + Vortex + Elysian ✨✨

Jan 25, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #79,572 of 91,358

In the midst of so many new FOM's, I would go with some companies that have had fairly long term success:
Sony (plus I love the DMP and 1z)
Noble (how long ago did I buy my first ciems, the K10?)
PWA (synergy with some iems aside, Orphy is still the most unique cable I've heard)

Jan 25, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #79,573 of 91,358
In the time I've been in the hobby Astell & Kern, Effect Audio & Unique Melody have consistently released impressive, high-end products.

As have many other brands, which is why I find the levels of brand loyalty I encounter at times eyebrow raising. This can be explained by the primitive nature of our tribal ancestry - people fuse brands they relate to positively with their own identity, and then feel obliged to defend them far beyond the realms of rational explanation.

If there were merely a handful of brands who were head & shoulders above the rest one could make a stronger argument for such behaviour, yet more & more I struggle to identify any brand in the portable audio space that consistently releases higher quality products than its' competitors simply because competition is too fierce to allow it.

Instead people choose brands largely on the basis of flavour and taste, so what they're really doing is advocating for their own preferences - and by extension worldview.

Jan 25, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #79,574 of 91,358
Gladiator Cables (IF that wasn't obvious)
Sony
FiR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back