The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 17, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #70,741 of 91,355
Mid-morning shoutout to what is emerging as the sleeper combo of the year for me. The CFA Bonneville + A&K SR35.

The Bonneville is a "complete package" IEM for me-- something that becomes more apparent the more time I spend with it. It doesn't quite jump out at you at first, as per typical CFA it's probably quite unlike what you were listening to before you popped these in. I almost passed over CFA altogether when I was in SoCal but they were right across from the Musicteck table so I figured "why not". I went for the Cascara first as that was the one I thought I'd be the most interested in. It was good-- and my affection for the Bonneville compelled me to snap one up, though it has not arrived yet. Bonny didn't jump out at me at first but after four demos over the two days in SoCal I came to the conlusion that it was my favorite IEM that I'd heard at the show-- even besting the VE X for me, which I actually had to hop over something of a mental barrier to accept. The reason for me is that it brings a bit of everything and doesn't hit any of my red flags. Bass, mids and treble are all there. It's a little bit bombastic, but not overly so. Staging is well above average in height, width and depth. The bass thumps, vocals are free from veil (if a touch recessed at times), timbre in the mids is spot on with nothing metallic and zero shout or glare to my ears and lastly there is a sufficient amount of air and sparkle up top. Layering and imaging is quite good. Most importantly (for me) it doesn't veer into dryness, thinness, brightness or harman tuned sterility as seems to be the trend right now. It's a wonderful "all in one" sort of IEM for my tastes. I had initially hoped that these might finally be a CFA IEM that isn't that divisive...however some of the impressions I've come across suggest that is not the case. I do know a few others who are as floored by these as I am, so YMMV once again. I'm converging on the viewpoint that due to pinna bypass "we all hear things differently" is more literally the case than even I suspected, with people's individual ear geometry adding affecting the sound possibly quite substantially in some cases, especially in the highs. In any case I hope more people get their ears on the Bonneville and spend some time hearing it before judging. It won't be for everyone obviously, but I still maintain that his has the potential to appeal to a much wider audience than has been typical for many CFA releases as of late. YMMV, and all that.

A40631AF-41E6-4F0E-A63D-0D4DA70CCD70.JPEG
Is Cascara the improved version of Atlas? Was there any difference between Atlas & Cascara? And how does Cascara compare to Bonneville?

Nov 17, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #70,742 of 91,355
Is Cascara the improved version of Atlas? Was there any difference between Atlas & Cascara? And how does Cascara compare to Bonneville?

It's hard to say as I only heard Cascara briefly (enough to classify it in my head as a really solid single DD option at its price but not long enough to have a really strong sense of it) and haven't heard Atlas in years. My complaints with Atlas at the time were that sometimes it displayed a strong metallic glare in the highs and had a tendency towards boominess and veil in the mids...neither Bonneville nor Cascara (in my brief demo) had those problems. The Atlas strong suit was its massive coherent sound for a single DD. Bonneville being a hybrid is a completely different beast with different strengths afforded by the BA drivers and acoustic properties of its shell. I would still maintain that the Trifecta is the most immediate and strongest pure upgrade to the Atlas as far as CFA's lineup is concerned.

Nov 17, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #70,743 of 91,355
It's hard to say as I only heard Cascara briefly (enough to classify it in my head as a really solid single DD option at its price but not long enough to have a really strong sense of it) and haven't heard Atlas in years. My complaints with Atlas at the time were that sometimes it displayed a strong metallic glare in the highs and had a tendency towards boominess and veil in the mids...neither Bonneville nor Cascara (in my brief demo) had those problems. The Atlas strong suit was its massive coherent sound for a single DD. Bonneville being a hybrid is a completely different beast with different strengths afforded by the BA drivers and acoustic properties of its shell. I would still maintain that the Trifecta is the most immediate and strongest pure upgrade to the Atlas as far as CFA's lineup is concerned.
Thanks man. My impression of the Atlas closely resembles your impressions. I liked Camfire Audio's Jupiter far better than Atlas. But those sharp metal edges were brutal on my ears.

Nov 17, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #70,745 of 91,355
I personally did not like the sound of FW when I heard at AV One while I was in Singapore. I felt it was too bright, and built quality just simply didn't cut it for now day and age, and specially for what it is selling for..

How is the built of Erebus compared to FW?

Yes FW definitely a more energetic set vs Erebus.

Build quality very similar and neither look like they cost the best part of $5k! I certainly wouldn’t buy either on the strength of their appearance. However, both very comfortable and light… and indeed very similar.

IMG_8845.jpeg

IMG_8846.jpeg

IMG_8848.jpeg

IMG_8849.jpeg

Btw the glimpse I caught of @aaf evo FW packaging also very similar I think?!

IMG_8842.jpeg

IMG_8843.jpeg

IMG_8844.jpeg

Nov 17, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #70,746 of 91,355

Build quality very similar and neither look like they cost the best part of $5k! I certainly wouldn’t buy either on the strength of their appearance. However, both very comfortable and light… and indeed very similar.

Yep looks basically the same. I could be wrong but I have been told Aroma and NG are made from the same factory in HK, only word of mouth though as I have no confirmation of that.

IMG_7450.jpegIMG_7451.jpegIMG_7452.jpeg

Nov 17, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #70,747 of 91,355
Yep looks basically the same. I could be wrong but I have been told Aroma and NG are made from the same factory in HK, only word of mouth though as I have no confirmation of that.

IMG_7450.jpegIMG_7451.jpegIMG_7452.jpeg

Yes I was told NGaudio produce for Aroma but definitely can’t be certain. Clearly some link anyway!

Nov 17, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #70,748 of 91,355

IMG_8845.jpeg

IMG_8846.jpeg

IMG_8848.jpeg

IMG_8849.jpeg

IMG_8842.jpeg

IMG_8843.jpeg

IMG_8844.jpeg
So, blow by blow, which one wins? I believe Erebus is designed and tuned very similarly to Jewel.

Nov 17, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #70,749 of 91,355
So, blow by blow, which one wins? I believe Erebus is designed and tuned very similarly to Jewel.

Hard to say yet as I’ve had very little time but I’ll probably lean towards Erebus as I typically prefer a less energetic set. If seeking more bass and treble emphasis, FW definitely the one to reach for, much more exciting and energetic where Erebus laid back in comparison, yet they are both highly detailed. FW jumps forward in presentation the minute I switch, bass in particular immediately obvious, especially mid bass. When flipping back to Erebus, at first I’m thinking where the heck has everything gone, initially sounding quite flat but after a few minutes the veil lifts.

It’s probably going to be a tough call I expect, very glad to have the opportunity to try both and know which ever I choose won’t have been blind - I’ve got to know and love Erebus a lot over the last few weeks, and look forward to cycling through my library with FW over the next few days.

Nov 17, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #70,751 of 91,355
well though my questions here are very genuine, they help me staying visible hopefully lol. This is my first time being visible since 2019, and look at me, wondered about buying diva, and wanting to try Mentor, anni and raven now. Beautiful.
is this where people usually stop eating out and start popin off some instant noodle?
Yes, Cup O Noodles is your friend in this hobby.

Nov 17, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #70,753 of 91,355
Finally I have a DAP, Shanling M9+, that can play with my Audeze LCDi4. So far, I've really been limited to desktop with it, but with M9+'s power and eq ability, I am hearing this almost anew. And I'm reminded of exactly how freakin awesome they are. They look weird, like something in Star Trek, but the sound! They are truly breathtaking when powered and eq'd properly, so they are now getting some much needed time.

20231117_135642.jpg

Nov 17, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #70,754 of 91,355
FW - Are the mids pushed back or in play along with the bass & the treble?

No they don't sound pushed back at all, everything sounds level and forward - certainly again compared to Erebus. I'm on an album now however that sounds a touch too energetic for me, and a genre (IDM) I listen to a lot of so that could possibly rule FW out for me.

Nov 17, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #70,755 of 91,355
Hard to say yet as I’ve had very little time but I’ll probably lean towards Erebus as I typically prefer a less energetic set. If seeking more bass and treble emphasis, FW definitely the one to reach for, much more exciting and energetic where Erebus laid back in comparison, yet they are both highly detailed. FW jumps forward in presentation the minute I switch, bass in particular immediately obvious, especially mid bass. When flipping back to Erebus, at first I’m thinking where the heck has everything gone, initially sounding quite flat but after a few minutes the veil lifts.

It’s probably going to be a tough call I expect, very glad to have the opportunity to try both and know which ever I choose won’t have been blind - I’ve got to know and love Erebus a lot over the last few weeks, and look forward to cycling through my library with FW over the next few days.
Sounds like a Ying and Yang situation. You know what you need to do...buy both and sell everything else 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back