The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 18, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #78,871 of 88,295
any tours in the US coming up for a high end hybrid?

Jan 18, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #78,873 of 88,295
Here in the UK there are opticians that offer free hearing tests to everyone. Unsure if it is the audiogram graph plot but free is free, it is a start
Why do people running an eye business offer services for the ears?

Opticians in the UK double as audiologists?

Jan 18, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #78,874 of 88,295
I'm looking forward to reading a comparison of the Miroak II and LOAK, if possible? Great pix. As I wrote here a few weeks ago, I recently picked up a 634ears MIROAK II - Japan Limited set. I'm thrilled with it. I swapped the OG cable for the 634ears 4.4 balanced... love it. Very short cord though, I wish it were a foot longer lol. But may just stick with it, very comfy, no memory snags and great sound. Would definitely be open to more 634ears iems in the future, thus I'm keen to hear about the comparison. Anyway, here she is, with the balanced cable.

Will try to do a comparison. Really surprised with these, blind buy based on reviewing some forums but also as in the past I had some IEM's from small shops like Ocharaku and I do like the specific approach on tuning outside of Western markets. Just my initial view the LOAK felt a punchier and "brighter " than Miroak, male vocals seems to have more texture. But need to spend more time with them.

Jan 18, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #78,875 of 88,295
Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #78,876 of 88,295
Jan 18, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #78,877 of 88,295
Do they do ear impressions? I would have never thought of looking up opticians for ear services.
If you trust AI in google, then the answer is yes, however, I won't do that myself :).

Generative AI is experimental. Learn more

Yes, an optician can take ear impressions. You can ask an audiologist or EENT to make impressions for you. The cost is usually between $15 and $50.

Jan 18, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #78,878 of 88,295
Actually I just googled:

Yes, many opticians can perform hearing tests. These tests are often free, but you may need to pay for any treatment, such as hearing aids. also this article:

https://rendia.com/resources/insights/eye-doctors-hearing-loss/
Interesting. That is not intuitive. In my mind, I go to a hearing aid retailer to get my ears checked and get ear impressions done with an audiologist. I go to an optician where the optometrists are who check my eyes to get my glasses. Seems like they are completely different businesses. Next time I see a store, I will walk in and ask what services they provide.

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #78,879 of 88,295
Why do people running an eye business offer services for the ears?

Opticians in the UK double as audiologists?

Do they do ear impressions? I would have never thought of looking up opticians for ear services.

We all get slightly more blind and deaf with each passing year :sweat_smile:

I assume the hearing aid impressions are in house or external but that is hearing aid only, they probably are not trained for CIEM impressions :)

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #78,880 of 88,295
Afternoon APX sesh :L3000:
I believe I'm 90% positive that APX will stay and Aura has to go. I think APX is a good all rounder and has a non fatiguing tuning at least for me. I have no problem with the treble like my friend @aaf evo :wink:
I like APX mostly for EDM and energetic music to fully utilize those delicious rectangular planar bass, but just like @piotrus-g himself said it can perform beautifully for classical music too or choral music for me :ksc75smile:
Using APX on N30 AP with the stock cables and JVC Spiral Dot++ because I need to cleanse my palate from too much OrphyS sounds :joy:
P_20240118_151400_1.jpg
I REALLY hope PMG continues to explore this higher-tier avenue for IEMs. I’d love to see an equivalent of the APX with a slightly smoother top end and maybe a tad more low end. The technical capabilities of APX are amongst some of the best I’ve heard in the industry so far, and that design is so damn beautiful. If I can get that in something that works a little better for my library I’d absolutely be willing to pay for it. The resolution and transparency of the APX is pretty damn nuts.
Thank you both for the feedback :)

Jan 18, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #78,881 of 88,295
We all get slightly more blind and deaf with each passing year :sweat_smile:

I assume the hearing aid impressions are in house or external but that is hearing aid only, they probably are not trained for CIEM impressions :)
We all get hungry every day, but I don't see vegans going to butcher shops to shop for food. Why would an optician even know how to do an ear impression for hearing aids? Why would you go into a Lenscrafters and even think you may be able to get a hearing aid impression? Do they even teach Opticians on how to do an ear impression in Optician school?

I guess I just need a picture of someone in a real Optician shop selling glasses with a sign that says "get your hearing checked here" and I will believe it. It's possible that I just missed it. I am having cognitive dissonance on the subject and need more data to suspend my disbelief.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #78,882 of 88,295
I've been a fan of Yann Tiersen for several years, an incredibly talented and diverse musician. I somehow missed this release from 2021 which really showcases his beautiful piano playing combined with electronic.

Anyone who has seen Amelie will likely know his work for the soundtrack - this in particular a real standout moment, incredibly beautiful piece of music. Not on Bandcamp unfortunately... oh and I've chosen the version with an unofficial animation that works really well, albeit could bring a few tears potentially!

Jan 18, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #78,883 of 88,295
Oh and my favourite list of 'best albums' for any given year is always from what is in my opinion the very best group on Facebook for electronic music fans... the dedicated owner of the group gathers votes throughout the year and again at the end of the year from members (over 7k) and produces the results. I've clearly slipped behind this year as numerous I've not heard, as such numerous added to my Bandcamp wishlist!

https://www.twgeema.com/best-new-electronic-music-album-2023

Jan 18, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #78,884 of 88,295
Oh and my favourite list of 'best albums' for any given year is always from what is in my opinion the very best group on Facebook for electronic music fans... the dedicated owner of the group gathers votes throughout the year and again at the end of the year from members (over 7k) and produces the results. I've clearly slipped behind this year as numerous I've not heard, as such numerous added to my Bandcamp wishlist!

https://www.twgeema.com/best-new-electronic-music-album-2023
really good list, kinda proud of how much i have heard on here lol but still a huge list with tons i haven't.

Jan 18, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #78,885 of 88,295
I got the TS-316s in yesterday. Packaging doesn't always matter in the end, but the presentation is one of the better ones out there as I'm sure people have seen. The stock cable leaves a lot to be desired due to how stiff it is, which given the stainless steel shell wasn't the best choice since it makes them easier to fall out. I'll figure out a longer term cable replacement, but I'm using the Chu II cable at the moment. That's really the only major knock beyond only including one kind of eartip (to which I'm unsure of what they are), and I appreciate that they included a 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter.

The IEMs themselves are great, so anything you might have read is true. To compare another single DD IEM in the same price range, I also recently tried the CFA Cascara, and not to say that they're bad, but I much prefer the TS-316. It could be that it has a better upper midrange and treble, but the lower bass on the Cascara seemed to bleed into the upper ranges a bit, thus making certain genres a bit muffled. It was good, but I wasn't convinced enough after spending maybe 30-40 minutes with it. Going off of the good reviews of the TS-316, I figured I'd take a shot at them, and so far I'm pleased.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back