The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 12, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #78,091 of 88,409
Right, so...this happened.

IMG_3956.jpeg
IMG_3961.jpeg

(The mirror finish actually is not that gold looking, and under different lighting conditions/angles can result in different colours. I like it more than the satin finish which adamantly stays very gold at any angle.)

Raven impressions are quite well covered so I'll not repeat what everyone has said.

This is the Orpheus Lite....which is quite a misleading name because this is supposed to be a co-flagship with the Orpheus. I guess you could interpret the "Lite" as in size/weight. Anyway, this uses the same copper material as the Orphy but with a different geometry/build structure, and is even more shielded than the OrphyS (the parts above the Y-split is also shielded. Peter said in one of his videos that this is the highest level shielding out of any of his cables). It is noticeably more ergonomic and is thinner, leading to much better portability.

Packaging is only that metal case akin to the Orphy, so without the bad quality leather briefcase. I really don't mind since I don't use the case/box anyway so it saves a lot of space.

The silver polishing cloth that comes with it is supposed to be for the 4.4 connector, which is uncoated/coated with rose gold or sth, and the coating may fall off over time if you twist the connector a lot, according to Peter (but doesn't affect sound quality).

Sound wise it is somewhere in between FTS and OrphyS - still a warmish cable but is less analog than OrphyS because the sound is faster, especially in the bass regions. Bass slams harder on the Lite with better subbass extension but a bit less midbass quantity and the decay is faster. Mids are similar, extremely resolving, a touch less thick. Biggest difference is treble, which is noticeably better extended on the Lite with more air, whereas Orphy is a bit pulled back. As a result it is a touch more resolving than the OrphyS with better layering/spearation between instruments.

Soundstage stretches even wider (by a bit) on the Lite, but depth is not as prominent, so the OrphyS is still a bit more "holographic) due to more noticeable depth perception.

Both are pitch black - maybe the Lite is even blacker, if that is even a thing.

Overall I think the Lite's signature is a less warm, faster and a more modern sounding OrphyS - IMO it is not as classic analog sounding as the OrphyS so it is less "special" so to speak, but I think it is a much better all-rounder. I actually find the OrphyS not very versatile because it makes everything sound the same - warm, wet, analogue, even slow....which sometimes might not be a good thing. The Lite will be able to show the characteristics of the IEM much better as it is a bit more "natural". For example, I find OrphyS a poor match for the Raven due to its laid-back treble and slower sound, which takes away the Raven's inherent advantages. It is also not a good match for the XE6 since it is already very smooth sounding. Both IEMs match well with the Lite on the other hand because of the more "modern" sound, and especially on the treble side.

TLDR - just get both OrphyS and Lite as I think they are rather complementary. However the Lite might be the more versatile pick at this day and age because it doesn't kill the treble and is a tad less "Orphy coloured".
Does anyone have a link to the Raven review?

What is the difference between the two versions?

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #78,094 of 88,409
Seville is one of my places to visit – the Andalusian capital is an architectural delight with contemporary and ancient Roman ruins, imposing Gothic structures and Neo-Mudéjar plazas.

La Casa de Pilatos is a mix of Mudéjar, Gothic and Renaissance architectural styles.

Alcázar of Seville which Scubi shared earlier shares a mix of various architectural styles from Mudéjar, Moorish, Christian, Renaissance, Baroque. I'm sure I'm missing others.

The palace is composed of several different structures that were built over several centuries, resulting in a complex and fascinating architectural style. It's surrounded by high walls, which were originally built in the 9th century as part of the city's defensive fortifications. Inside the walls, the palace is divided into three main sections: the Palace of Peter I, the Gothic Palace, and the Mudéjar Palace.

The Mudéjar Palace is the oldest part of the palace complex, and was built in the 12th century by the Almohad dynasty. The palace features intricate stucco decoration and beautiful tilework, and is considered to be one of the finest examples of Mudéjar architecture in the world.

Tile Work
One of the most recognizable features of the Alcazar's exterior is its exquisite tile work. The intricate designs and patterns are a blend of Islamic and Christian styles.

Gardens
The gardens are a fusion of Islamic and Christian styles and feature an array of exotic plants, fountains, and architectural features such as pavilions and galleries.

Facades
Renaissance-style palace façade that faces the Plaza del Triunfo is another iconic element.

Timeline
The construction of the Alcazar of Seville spans several centuries, with different rulers and architects adding numerous renovations:
  • 913-914 AD: The original fortress was built by the Umayyad Caliphate on the site of an earlier Roman fortress.
  • 1181-1182 AD: The Almohads, a Berber Muslim dynasty, conquered Seville and began to rebuild the fortress, adding defensive towers, walls, and gates.
  • 1364 AD: King Pedro I of Castile began the construction of the Palacio Mudéjar, a palace with Mudejar architecture, characterized by the use of Islamic-style decorative elements mixed with Christian architectural features.
  • 1366-1369 AD: The Hall of the Ambassadors, the most impressive room in the palace, was built.
  • 1477-1492 AD: King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Castile added the Gothic Palace, which was designed to be a more comfortable and modern residence for the royal family.
  • 1537 AD: The Holy Roman Emperor Charles V visited the Alcazar and ordered the construction of a new palace, the Palace of Charles V, which was built on the site of the former Moorish palace.
  • 1598-1624 AD: King Philip III of Spain commissioned the construction of the Salon de los Tapices (Tapestry Room), the Salon de los Espejos (Hall of Mirrors), and the Salón de los Reyes (Hall of the Kings), among other renovations.
  • 1729-1733 AD: King Philip V of Spain ordered the construction of the Hall of Justice, the Throne Room, and the Dining Room.
  • 1810-1812 AD: During the Peninsular War, French troops occupied the Alcazar and caused significant damage to the palace and its gardens.
  • 1815 AD: Restoration work began under the direction of architect Francisco de Paula Olivieri.
  • 1863-1874 AD: Extensive renovations were carried out by architect Vicente Traver, who restored many of the palace's original Mudejar features.
  • 1909 AD: The Alcazar was declared a national monument.
  • 1987 AD: The Alcazar was designated a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Unfortunately, I'm clueless about architecture but for me it's the most significant area for spanish guitars.

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #78,095 of 88,409
Separate battery for analog and digital parts of the ckt, a cleaner partitioning, including separate charging (usb-c for digital and 12V for analog). And, yes, DX320Max Ti batteries could be removed/replaced.

ibasso-dx320max-ti-38.jpgibasso-dx320max-ti-39.jpgibasso-dx320max-ti-40.jpg
Thanks for sharing, would you be able to share where I can buy these spare batteries? I tried googling but couldn’t seem to find. 🙏🏻

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #78,096 of 88,409
Right, so...this happened.

IMG_3956.jpeg
IMG_3961.jpeg

(The mirror finish actually is not that gold looking, and under different lighting conditions/angles can result in different colours. I like it more than the satin finish which adamantly stays very gold at any angle.)

Raven impressions are quite well covered so I'll not repeat what everyone has said.

This is the Orpheus Lite....which is quite a misleading name because this is supposed to be a co-flagship with the Orpheus. I guess you could interpret the "Lite" as in size/weight. Anyway, this uses the same copper material as the Orphy but with a different geometry/build structure, and is even more shielded than the OrphyS (the parts above the Y-split is also shielded. Peter said in one of his videos that this is the highest level shielding out of any of his cables). It is noticeably more ergonomic and is thinner, leading to much better portability.

Packaging is only that metal case akin to the Orphy, so without the bad quality leather briefcase. I really don't mind since I don't use the case/box anyway so it saves a lot of space.

The silver polishing cloth that comes with it is supposed to be for the 4.4 connector, which is uncoated/coated with rose gold or sth, and the coating may fall off over time if you twist the connector a lot, according to Peter (but doesn't affect sound quality).

Sound wise it is somewhere in between FTS and OrphyS - still a warmish cable but is less analog than OrphyS because the sound is faster, especially in the bass regions. Bass slams harder on the Lite with better subbass extension but a bit less midbass quantity and the decay is faster. Mids are similar, extremely resolving, a touch less thick. Biggest difference is treble, which is noticeably better extended on the Lite with more air, whereas Orphy is a bit pulled back. As a result it is a touch more resolving than the OrphyS with better layering/spearation between instruments.

Soundstage stretches even wider (by a bit) on the Lite, but depth is not as prominent, so the OrphyS is still a bit more "holographic) due to more noticeable depth perception.

Both are pitch black - maybe the Lite is even blacker, if that is even a thing.

Overall I think the Lite's signature is a less warm, faster and a more modern sounding OrphyS - IMO it is not as classic analog sounding as the OrphyS so it is less "special" so to speak, but I think it is a much better all-rounder. I actually find the OrphyS not very versatile because it makes everything sound the same - warm, wet, analogue, even slow....which sometimes might not be a good thing. The Lite will be able to show the characteristics of the IEM much better as it is a bit more "natural". For example, I find OrphyS a poor match for the Raven due to its laid-back treble and slower sound, which takes away the Raven's inherent advantages. It is also not a good match for the XE6 since it is already very smooth sounding. Both IEMs match well with the Lite on the other hand because of the more "modern" sound, and especially on the treble side.

TLDR - just get both OrphyS and Lite as I think they are rather complementary. However the Lite might be the more versatile pick at this day and age because it doesn't kill the treble and is a tad less "Orphy coloured".
Thanks for the precious insight! I find it interesting that the Lite looks like a standard 4 wire weave instead of OrphyS/FTS twisted construction. I was guessing a reduction in shielding but it seems like that's not the case, at least from how it sounds. That construction will surely change the ergonomics. Probably much closer to 60's cable?

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #78,098 of 88,409
Just want to thank you for information and feedback regarding VE/A&K Aura, I just managed to demo it, but unfortunately only with jvc spiral dot++, maybe this is not perfect match, but anyway this was probably bad idea, as it looks like they are really good and have grate potential, so probably I have to do it again with other tips configurations. Any suggestions for better paring or maybe those original azla tips are best?

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #78,099 of 88,409
Popular PWA's cable are analog in tuning, bassy, with great mids and technical. Oh yes, then they are expensive, microphonic, heavy and thick... wait, is that also a positive thing? 🤔
1960 2 wire is not microphonic. Very light, ergonomic. Analog tuning, slightly enhances bass. Great mids and technical.

OrphyS is heavy & thick as compared to other cables. But still is within tolerable limits. But the way OrphyS can dissect denser portions of a song and still remain analog is one amazing feature.

I'm not sure if all of the TOTL PWA cables use cardas cables or only the ultra-expensive ones do, but cardas cables are very, very expensive.

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #78,100 of 88,409
Just want to thank you for information and feedback regarding VE/A&K Aura, I just managed to demo it, but unfortunately only with jvc spiral dot++, maybe this is not perfect match, but anyway this was probably bad idea, as it looks like they are really good and have grate potential, so probably I have to do it again with other tips configurations. Any suggestions for better paring or maybe those original azla tips are best?
I’m currently using ET Baroque ear tips, which are ergonomically v comfortable for me, with sufficient clarity without affecting / attenuating bass impact. If I want more clarity in treble, I’d use Divinus velvet, Coreir brass (not always easy to fit a good fit with this one), or Radius deep mount.

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #78,101 of 88,409
Since I introduced this unfinished to you all in my end of the year post, felt I should share the finished piece, first of 2024.

IMG_3338.jpeg
Nice one. Here is my first of the year
20240112_173712.jpg

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #78,102 of 88,409
I'm not sure if all of the TOTL PWA cables use cardas cables or only the ultra-expensive ones do, but cardas cables are very, very expensive.
The classic 50's and 60's definitely are cardas, and they are not even close to TOTL anymore. 1/4th the cost, lol. Can't speak to the others. The 50's and 60's have been torn down and cloned for years.

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #78,103 of 88,409
I treat anything kilobuck and higher that PW releases as Cardas wires by default.

Cardas wires are actually fairly reasonable when you consider the PW markups which are very very very very very expensive.
I’m currently using ET Baroque ear tips, which are ergonomically v comfortable for me, with sufficient clarity without affecting / attenuating bass impact. If I want more clarity in treble, I’d use Divinus velvet, Coreir brass (not always easy to fit a good fit with this one), or Radius deep mount.
I put the Baroques on Raven out of box (Don't even touch the Final Es). Figured I try a swap to Radius Deepmounts, got boomier bass, but seems to have negated a lot of the WX vibes. Not to mention it would barely stay in my left ear.

Baroques are my go to now

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #78,104 of 88,409
I treat anything kilobuck and higher that PW releases as Cardas wires by default.

Cardas wires are actually fairly reasonable when you consider the PW markups which are very very very very very expensive.

I put the Baroques on Raven out of box (Don't even touch the Final Es). Figured I try a swap to Radius Deepmounts, got boomier bass, but seems to have negated a lot of the WX vibes. Not to mention it would barely stay in my left ear.

Baroques are my go to now
Baroques are now best tip.

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #78,105 of 88,409
Also, for those eyeing the golden sunset edition, there is this purple undertone running through the shells that renders them more amethyst tint than black.

I noticed this right away and have been wondering if there was a mix up with the stork given that my model looks exactly like yours and I haven't noticed the red accents on the drivers I was expecting to find on the Amber Radiance. This works for me though all things considered as the purplish hue to the shells works magnificently with the Tyrian, which is my preferred cable for Trifecta.

F3AD5252-39CA-427E-9961-CB95558D1B99.JPEG

I think @Rockwell75 is an absolute madman for having these as a daily driver

Could be...could also be a music library thing as the Trifecta never hits a false note with anything I listen to.

I did not expect to like these with electronica, but, no, there's something working here. I'm not entirely sure what it is, but it's working.

It's magnificent with electronica so long as it's not too busy or fast...which, again, happens to be the case with most of my library.

Looking forward to your further thoughts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back