The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 8, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #77,491 of 89,995
Just finished and would like to share my latest review of another Oriolus bird, their Monachaa IEMs. Obviously, 4xDD driver config needs a burn-in, but I didn't expect it will continue to change even after 100hrs, until it settled in at around 120hrs. Ironically, the "OG" Bird came bundled with PWA cable sold by itself for $2k, while Monachaa with its own more basic PWA copper cable (similar to Mest MK2 copper cable) is priced at $2k :)

oriolus-monachaa-13.jpg oriolus-monachaa-07.jpg

oriolus-monachaa-27.jpg
I guess if you did that, Oriolus will hate you, but I really want to see your comparison of Monachaa vs Quattro.

Jan 8, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #77,492 of 89,995
Glad to have another rank list. As a basshead, I am looking at the only IEM that received a 10 out of 10, 64 Audio Volur? I haven't heard it but 64 Audio does not have the reputation to have a class leading bass performance.
I think the bass on it is the best mix of guilty-pleasure + accuracy - it's just super well-done bass, tons of texture & dynamic. But it kicks like a truck.

It doesn't have the same sheer rumble as sets like Z1R, MSE, Fei Wan, Singularity or XE6 and would consider those more bass-head in general terms - but Volur is tighter/ faster/ snappier.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 8, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #77,493 of 89,995
Grand Maestro is a set that's been so elusive for me! I'm kind of a sucker for the vented chamber plugs in iem's because I love tweaking. I bet it's an awesome and versatile set.

Truthfully, getting a CP622B while having Mentor is kind of redundant, but I still recommend auditioning if ever it's possible first. I am really thinking about picking up the CP622B... it's just that my collection needs to downsize, not grow lol.
You should definitely try the GM if possible. It’s capable of so much more than only skull shattering bass. But still, I use it 99% in full bass mode. Never even tried the blue modules, they are still wrapped in the box 😇

Thank you for the Mentor/CP comparison!!

Jan 8, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #77,495 of 89,995
Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #77,496 of 89,995
Hi,
I have a question, can I use an IEM with a cable terminated in 4pin XLR and use it in amplifiers with this connection?
Just buy a converter, which I have to use my 4.4mm balanced on my desktop amp with XLR plug. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094ZT75PJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

21+FCx75DwS._AC_.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #77,497 of 89,995
Unfortunately, e-earphone restricts the Pentaconn conversion cables from the Buyee proxy on their website, Yahoo! Japan, and Rakuten. I also noticed the same with sellers on Amazon Japan. I’m not sure if Pentaconn made a conscious decision to not sell these conversion cables in the USA.
So you just need to
1) create an account on Tenso (which is BTW the shipper used by Buyee) https://www.tenso.com
2) create an account on e-earphone website and give as delivery address the one that was given to you by Tenso
you will even spare the amount Tenso asks to buy for you :wink:
Tested and approved :thumbsup:

Jan 8, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #77,498 of 89,995
Jan 8, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #77,499 of 89,995
Only getting around to the latest Nation of Language album tonight - first listen and I can already hear it will have regular play in the coming weeks and months of 2024. Their previous album 'A Way Forward' became a family favourite in the summer of 2022. As a synth-pop band, there are clear influences from the likes of Depeche Mode, New Order etc from the 80s, and indeed echo the stunning 'We Must Become the Pitiless Censors of Ourselves' by John Maus from 2011 - a masterpiece that deserves more attention tbh!

Anyway...

Great band, great album indeed. The first song alone made quite some of my days in 2023... Nice hint to John Maus - not heard for too long...

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #77,501 of 89,995
IMG_5006.jpeg

Flying the friendly skies with some gear. ✈️ 🎧🔥

Jan 8, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #77,502 of 89,995
So you just need to
1) create an account on Tenso (which is BTW the shipper used by Buyee) https://www.tenso.com
2) create an account on e-earphone website and give as delivery address the one that was given to you by Tenso
you will even spare the amount Tenso asks to buy for you :wink:
Tested and approved :thumbsup:
Unfortunately, e-earphone restricts the Pentaconn conversion cables from the Buyee proxy on their website, Yahoo! Japan, and Rakuten. I also noticed the same with sellers on Amazon Japan. I’m not sure if Pentaconn made a conscious decision to not sell these conversion cables in the USA.

Or just use the exact proxy service I linked before, which is as simple as clicking "buy now" 🤷‍♂️ It’s six in one, half dozen in the other. I'm not certain I understand why you're still struggling to purchase via proxy.

Jan 8, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #77,503 of 89,995
Jan 8, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #77,504 of 89,995
Or just use the exact proxy service I linked before, which is as simple as clicking "buy now" 🤷‍♂️ It’s six in one, half dozen in the other. I'm not certain I understand why you're still struggling to purchase via proxy.
I already bought it using your tip. Thank you.

Jan 8, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #77,505 of 89,995
Hey friends, been working at this for a couple months on and off but never thought I would post as it was mostly for my own reference, anyway - my very own IEM scoring database!

Score Spreadsheet

Hopefully this can help people extrapolate information and understand how I analyze and score different metrics.

I don’t particularly care if you disagree with how I rank things because it’s just my opinions and I took away all emotion/ biases and just call it like I hear it. So, feel free to question or ask for elaboration if you disagree on points, as discussion is welcomed. Inevitably, there are things that were listened at different times of my life with different source gear and different moods - but I do consider myself very even-keel and consistent in my methods.
  1. Please start with the “Legend” tab and read through that before checking scores.

2. “Danda Main Sheet” is what I would consider my most objectively honest scoring for the overall product. You can see the total score followed by “Tonal, Tech & Wow factor” scores.
    • Tonal Score is the avg sum of "Tuning + Tonal Accuracy".
    • Technical Score is the avg sum of "Technical Prowess".
    • Wow Factor Score is the avg sum of "Intangibles + Technical Prowess" combined.
  3. I’ve gone ahead and made separate tabs for “Tonal”, “Technical” & “Wow Factor” scores for a different ordering perspective & more clarity.

4. There is an “IEM Notes” tab for general comments/ notes or observations. This will hopefully be beneficial in understanding too. I could go on in more detail but didn’t want to clutter it up too much.
Please feel free to critique and/ or let me know if something seems wacky or needs corrections.

Thanks!

Edit: Will be receiving a Dunu Mirai courtesy of @freeryder05 this week and will add it in the mix at some point this week :)

Really enjoyed having resources like this spreadsheet to look at as a subjective way to see how folks who have heard lots of higher end IEM feel. My first real high end IEM have been the Volur and Z1R, though am trading the Z1R for the Final Audio A8000 as I prefer the Volur over the Z1R and want something a little less bass focused with better technicalities in the mid-treble ranges, faster overall, since I can't afford to just buy another 2k set outright at all. I absolutely love the Volur, just need to get the Coreir tips to stay on. I'll be stopping at home depot to look for tiny o-rings sooner than later. Have had the U4S and MEXT and Penta and the Monarch MkIII and some others. But nothing else near or over 2k than the Volur and Z1R.

I'm really curious as to what you would think of the Trifecta in the midst of all these IEMs. Any chance you will try them soon?

I spoke to Audio46 today, they have a set of the Trifecta to audition there, so I will bring my Volur there and see for myself soon, as I am close by, but would love to hear more thoughts from folks who have heard a lot more IEMs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back