The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 8, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #77,462 of 89,204
Hey friends, been working at this for a couple months on and off but never thought I would post as it was mostly for my own reference, anyway - my very own IEM scoring database!

Score Spreadsheet

Hopefully this can help people extrapolate information and understand how I analyze and score different metrics.

I don’t particularly care if you disagree with how I rank things because it’s just my opinions and I took away all emotion/ biases and just call it like I hear it. So, feel free to question or ask for elaboration if you disagree on points, as discussion is welcomed. Inevitably, there are things that were listened at different times of my life with different source gear and different moods - but I do consider myself very even-keel and consistent in my methods.
  1. Please start with the “Legend” tab and read through that before checking scores.

2. “Danda Main Sheet” is what I would consider my most objectively honest scoring for the overall product. You can see the total score followed by “Tonal, Tech & Wow factor” scores.
    • Tonal Score is the avg sum of "Tuning + Tonal Accuracy".
    • Technical Score is the avg sum of "Technical Prowess".
    • Wow Factor Score is the avg sum of "Intangibles + Technical Prowess" combined.
  3. I’ve gone ahead and made separate tabs for “Tonal”, “Technical” & “Wow Factor” scores for a different ordering perspective & more clarity.

4. There is an “IEM Notes” tab for general comments/ notes or observations. This will hopefully be beneficial in understanding too. I could go on in more detail but didn’t want to clutter it up too much.
Please feel free to critique and/ or let me know if something seems wacky or needs corrections.

Thanks!

Edit: Will be receiving a Dunu Mirai courtesy of @freeryder05 this week and will add it in the mix at some point this week :)
Very nice list, I like it a lot, thanks for the effort!

Effect Audio Fusion1 paired with RN6 is not that bad after all.

My previous conclusion about Fusion1+RN6 was based on N30 in Classic Tube Mode

Forgive me for my previous rant about this cable because i discovered now that N30 in Classic Tube mode has to much soundstage for this cable, so that the cable amplify/extends and disperses the soundstage further so that it becomes blurry. Its not the fault of the cable. Its a bad synergy thing.

I am rocking the N30 now in Solid State Mode and must say that the cable plays well with N30 and RN6, it extends the soundstage like having N30 in Classic Tube Mode.
Base also reaches deeper and has a tad more quantity in regards to stock RN6 cable.
Stock cable feels maybe little snappier in the base region and has little bit more control.

I am not a reviewer by any means. I dont do critical listening in all N30 modes when writing conclusions. I am just enjoying the music and write my findings. I dont have time to dissect all variables that comes to mind when writing reviews. So please take what i wrote before with a grain of salt.
Personally, I really like the stock cable and see no need to change it.

About the soundstage: I assume you've already tried the N30 in Low Gain, right? Because the higher the gain, the more wider the soundstage / the less intimate.

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #77,463 of 89,204
I really liked it better than their cousins. But then again I'm more into allrounders.

drftr
My issue with Odyssey was this: it felt like the audio version of everything, everywhere all at once. It sounded expensive, like all the details were there, but the presentation, while holographic, was so overwhelming that I found myself struggling to focus on individual elements of a track, and almost having to actively follow along rather than effortlessly grooving, if that makes sense. Rn6 loses some details for me, but makes them up in treble extension and overall "fun" factor, despite being a more neutral version of xe6. I love EEs stuff--fit aside, their shells are gargantuan--but Odyssey was an instant sell for me and a hard lesson in never blind buying again.

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #77,464 of 89,204
I wonder if I could paint the connectors on this cable black... But I guess using the Eros AE is the better route. Looking forward to receiving this IEM soon...

For me cables are mostly about aesthetics and ergo...both of which I find better on the Perpetua with the Eros.

I really find it fascinating how differently we hear Perpetua!!

If I had a nickel for every time I've said that to someone or some people about an IEM...I'd be able to buy myself a Wang tonight.

I just can’t relate to the many comments I’m seeing about how great Perpetua’s bass is.
I mean, don’t get me wrong! The quality is pretty good, but I find it’s tuning quite flat with not much elevation in the bass, especially in the sub bass.
To my ears, I’m finding CP622b to be significantly bassier and not even close in the sub bass.

FWIW when I talk about how much I love Perpetua's bass I'm referring to the quality not the quantity-- I get that it's not a bass elevated set, and that the CP622B probably has more sub-bass quantity. But in terms overall bass timbre/quality I much prefer the Dita to the Canpur. The Perpetua fills the "somewhat balanced/reference" tuning niche for my collection. For me it gets by with the lack of elevation due to how weighty and rich the bass is-- for me because of this quality a little goes a long way, whereas a BA set I'm guessing just wouldn't work for me with this tuning.

I’m just not sure why I’m hearing it that way… I even tried 5 different sets in case it would be a faulty demo unit. I demoed it with LP6 Gold and several other players and even tried it with a desktop amp to make sure it wasn’t underpowered. I also tried different tips and cables but always came up with the same conclusion. I even asked my wife to try it without telling her anything and asked her for her opinion and she had pretty much the same opinion.

Again, I'm not really sure we're hearing it differently so much as that I'm enjoying what I'm hearing more than you did. This could be due to a number of factors-- library, source, ear geometry, preferences etc. It's hard to day...but it doesn't really matter so long as we're both happy with what we have. I ab'd the Perpetua and CP622B extensively yesterday and found that to my ears they belong in a similar general category in terms of their presentation and that most of what I enjoyed in the Canpur was already present in the Perpetua, but in a way that resonated more to my tastes. YMMV etc.

I look forward to endlessly and shamelessly shilling reclaiming my position as an Empire shill.

It's only been: Spartan IV, Athena VIII, Zeus R, Valkyrie, Phantom, Phantom LE, Wraith, Odin x2, Evo

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I find that Empire and Campfire have a lot in common. Both brands tend to do their own thing and take chances with some of their tunings. Both have big hits and misses. Both brands have IEMs that have sharply divided the community and both have strong fan bases that are loyal to them despite it all.

Just like there are many who don't really connect with Campfire's IEMs I'm still waiting for an EE IEM to finally sweep me off my feet and totally win my heart. The closest they've come so far to doing that was with the LX...I hope to get a proper update of that one some day.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #77,467 of 89,204
If I had a nickel for every time I've said that to someone or some people about an IEM...I'd be able to buy myself a Wang tonight.
And if you had a dime you could get the
Dang Doodle to go with it.

Sorry couldn’t resist, I am weak.
Koko Taylor (RIP) song if anyone is a blues fan like me, a classic, especially when driving or live.
That women had some pipes.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #77,469 of 89,204
The closest they've come so far to doing that was with the LX...I hope to get a proper update of that one some day.

I've been waiting years for it.

This is why I am anxiously waiting for the NIghtJar Duality, that IEM put a smile on my face as soon as I pushed play because the bass was so ridiculously fun to listen to that it took me back to how I once perceived the Legend X as well... but with that not having any concrete ETA and nothing else in the pipeline that I know of I will have to stay patient. Womp womp.

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #77,470 of 89,204
And if you had a dime you could get the
Dang Doodle to go with it.

Sorry couldn’t resist, I am weak.
Koko Taylor (RIP) song if anyone is a blues fan like me, a classic, especially when driving or live.
That women had some pipes.
Gonna romp and tromp 'till midnite
We're gonna fuss and fight 'till daylight

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #77,471 of 89,204
Saying that with hard to drive sets an quality external amp is better than a dap alone ( forget the brand and if is club fans brand or not)is the most obvious thing , we dont need to repeat it 10 times
The thing is, everything on the Watercooler gets recycled every 3-12 months. That's a feature; not a bug. Because all of us are in a different stage of discovery. When I joined a few years ago I had no idea what the Big Boys here were referring to, as I simply wasn't very far on my own path of discovery. But over the years I read all of their stories with interest and started thinking that actually one of these days it might even become relevant for me. Years later I suddenly get an A-ha Erlebnis when I finally get to do what they did, and I suddenly hear what it was all about. I share my stories and my findings, and instead of being bashed as old news they embrace me and encourage me to demo even more, write down what I think about what I hear, why, et cetera. Next thing you know there's another newbie picking up my ramblings and he/she doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about. One year later it's all clear and he/she writes the exact same story.

A feature; not a bug.

drftr

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #77,472 of 89,204
The thing is, everything on the Watercooler gets recycled every 3-12 months. That's a feature; not a bug. Because all of us are in a different stage of discovery. When I joined a few years ago I had no idea what the Big Boys here were referring to, as I simply wasn't very far on my own path of discovery. But over the years I read all of their stories with interest and started thinking that actually one of these days it might even become relevant for me. Years later I suddenly get an A-ha Erlebnis when I finally get to do what they did, and I suddenly hear what it was all about. I share my stories and my findings, and instead of being bashed as old news they embrace me and encourage me to demo even more, write down what I think about what I hear, why, et cetera. Next thing you know there's another newbie picking up my ramblings and he/she doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about. One year later it's all clear and he/she writes the exact same story.

A feature; not a bug.

drftr
You're one of the good ones, did you know that? :)

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #77,473 of 89,204
I've been waiting years for it.

This is why I am anxiously waiting for the NIghtJar Duality, that IEM put a smile on my face as soon as I pushed play because the bass was so ridiculously fun to listen to that it took me back to how I once perceived the Legend X as well... but with that not having any concrete ETA and nothing else in the pipeline that I know of I will have to stay patient. Womp womp.

For me the Trifecta was that wholesale upgrade to the LX I’d been seeking (YMMV) whereas the Duality kind of left me cold (again, YMMV). Still, I’d love to see a new LX on EE’s own terms. Hopefully someday…

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #77,474 of 89,204
Hey friends, been working at this for a couple months on and off but never thought I would post as it was mostly for my own reference, anyway - my very own IEM scoring database!

Score Spreadsheet

Hopefully this can help people extrapolate information and understand how I analyze and score different metrics.

I don’t particularly care if you disagree with how I rank things because it’s just my opinions and I took away all emotion/ biases and just call it like I hear it. So, feel free to question or ask for elaboration if you disagree on points, as discussion is welcomed. Inevitably, there are things that were listened at different times of my life with different source gear and different moods - but I do consider myself very even-keel and consistent in my methods.
  1. Please start with the “Legend” tab and read through that before checking scores.

2. “Danda Main Sheet” is what I would consider my most objectively honest scoring for the overall product. You can see the total score followed by “Tonal, Tech & Wow factor” scores.
    • Tonal Score is the avg sum of "Tuning + Tonal Accuracy".
    • Technical Score is the avg sum of "Technical Prowess".
    • Wow Factor Score is the avg sum of "Intangibles + Technical Prowess" combined.
  3. I’ve gone ahead and made separate tabs for “Tonal”, “Technical” & “Wow Factor” scores for a different ordering perspective & more clarity.

4. There is an “IEM Notes” tab for general comments/ notes or observations. This will hopefully be beneficial in understanding too. I could go on in more detail but didn’t want to clutter it up too much.
Please feel free to critique and/ or let me know if something seems wacky or needs corrections.

Thanks!

Edit: Will be receiving a Dunu Mirai courtesy of @freeryder05 this week and will add it in the mix at some point this week :)

Where to start? I love everything about it. This is a whole new approach to this kind of lists (Tonal, Tech, Wow-Score - make totally sense!!).

Of course, I made some personal sanity checks regarding the IEMs I owned or at least tried. All of them passed!! 😆

Seriously, thank you _very much_ for sharing, this is extremely helpful for me as we seem to a have similar taste. Which leads me to the conclusion that I urgently need to try the CP622B...

(btw. I'm also in the minority who thinks Mentor has great bass (yes, of course, for BA drivers...))

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #77,475 of 89,204

Users who are viewing this thread

Back