The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 28, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #75,781 of 88,315
Most welcome! Well, what I will say is this: I think the APX is innovative in the use of drivers, how it is implemented and it is subtle in its holistic approach to the portrayal of music. It may be that it will be money well spent as you will feel no temptation to chase the next FOTM. :wink:
Piotr loves his planars! I can't wait to hear this!

Dec 28, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #75,782 of 88,315
Just received the PMG APX demo unit. For some reason I can't upload some photos so this is good enough as Kiats already handled the unboxing. The IEM is gorgeous with the amber faceplate and sort of black/gold ish shell, quite the looker. Fit is fantastic, it goes deep but doesn't feel obtrusive nor does it come into contact with my ear so I find it quite comfortable and with high isolation.

I spent about an hour listening so far as they delivered quite late and it’s about time for bed. Initial impressions are that these are quite bright (bright leaning U shape perhaps?) to my ears and for my library, some of my test tracks come off too energetic up top for my personal tastes. Techs are top tier.. this set has fantastic resolution, transparency, and a very wide/open sound stage.

Off to bed. 🛌

IMG_8090.JPGIMG_8092.JPGIMG_8093.JPG

Dec 28, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #75,783 of 88,315
Just received the PMG APX demo unit. For some reason I can't upload some photos so this is good enough as Kiats already handled the unboxing. The IEM is gorgeous with the amber faceplate and sort of black/gold ish shell, quite the looker. Fit is fantastic, it goes deep but doesn't feel obtrusive nor does it come into contact with my ear so I find it quite comfortable and with high isolation.

I spent about an hour listening so far as they delivered quite late and it’s about time for bed. Initial impressions are that these are quite bright (bright leaning U shape perhaps?) to my ears and for my library, some of my test tracks come off too energetic up top for my personal tastes. Techs are top tier.. this set has fantastic resolution, transparency, and a very wide/open sound stage.

Off to bed. 🛌

IMG_8090.JPGIMG_8092.JPGIMG_8093.JPG
How is the built? Does it feel like it will last long term?

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #75,784 of 88,315
I do anticipate magic of planar implementation in IEMs, there is something special about planar drivers.
Totally agree here. With planar drivers, so far I have Madoo 512 which uses "micro square planar" + DD - interestingly the planar is for bass & highs. Also have Madoo 821 which uses circular planar, like Supermoon, but with both push & pull magnets. In both cases, clarity, texture & speed with dynamics make them sound special to me.

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #75,785 of 88,315
Dec 28, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #75,786 of 88,315
On the last Friday of 2023, I will share photos of the last part of the care package from @Uncle Wilson and Jaben SG: the much awaited for Audio Technica AW-KG Naru. This was released as part of the limited edition NaruKami headphone amplifier/preamplifer, HPA-KG Naru. If I understand correctly, 90 pairs of the AW-KG Naru will be released separately.

IMG_1642.jpeg
4ea96fefeda940e0ee5ebda7247da204.jpeg
da3b254b647817645f7e7f54f681a445.jpeg
IMG_1657.jpeg

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #75,787 of 88,315
Totally agree here. With planar drivers, so far I have Madoo 512 which uses "micro square planar" + DD - interestingly the planar is for bass & highs. Also have Madoo 821 which uses circular planar, like Supermoon, but with both push & pull magnets. In both cases, clarity, texture & speed with dynamics make them sound special to me.
Speaking of planars, had a chance to listen to the Campfire Audio Supermoon. It’s quite likeable. It’s very nicely tuned. Not harsh/spicy treble at all. The bass is quite solid not basshead level bass but certainly a decent quantity and quality as well. The timbre is really outstanding. Soundstage is quite good. There is nothing I felt wrong with the iem, couldn’t nitpick anything. All in all, totally worth every penny.

How does it compare to the 821? Any thing which is noticeably better from the Supermoon there?

Dec 29, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #75,788 of 88,315
Speaking of planars, had a chance to listen to the Campfire Audio Supermoon. It’s quite likeable. It’s very nicely tuned. Not harsh/spicy treble at all. The bass is quite solid not basshead level bass but certainly a decent quantity and quality as well. The timbre is really outstanding. Soundstage is quite good. There is nothing I felt wrong with the iem, couldn’t nitpick anything. All in all, totally worth every penny.

How does it compare to the 821? Any thing which is noticeably better from the Supermoon there?
I honestly have not heard Supermoon. The standout on 821 is its' upper mids & treble which isnt bright/harsh/peaky but sounds extremely clear. 821 bass could be more prominent - its there, but more akin to large monitors than full range speakers. The timbre is also excellent. For me, totally worth it.

Dec 29, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #75,789 of 88,315
Wonderful time hanging out with @Rockwell75 @tgx78 @harshkamboj.

IMG_1391.jpeg

Korean chinese food

IMG_1396.jpeg

While the night was mostly catching up, I got to try out Perpetua, Bonnyville, Trifecta (again), Mentor, SR35.

IMG_1386.jpeg

IMG_1387.jpeg

IMG_1388.jpeg

My memory of it still holds true. Mentors still a great set especially used. Rounded bass and lush mids. Not at 622Bs level in terms of resolution, dynamics or timbral finess, the crispy mid treble sticks out.

IMG_1385.jpeg

IMG_1384.jpeg

I resonated with Perpetuas balanced timbre. Pushes out good detail for a single DD.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #75,790 of 88,315
Same boat here... Waiting for my Sound Tiger which has been shipped during X-mas too...
Got my soundtiger sinfonia in house today, spent the afternoon with it via RS8 Phone out -> Cleo2 Octa IC -> Sinfonia -> Magnus 8w -> Tesseract.

Initial impressions were not good, it really does need 20 mins to warm up and then it opens up a LOT. So keep that in mind. When double amping via the RS8 PO, I'm noticing better controlled sub bass, and tighter mid bass, more revealing mids with a bit better detail to boot, sparklier treble and an overall airier presentation. It's a welcome change, especially for the Tesseract, it is basically neutralizing some of the RS8s low end and matching the tonality of the Tesseract. Wonderful pairing thus far but I do have a major issue that I need to confirm isn't a problem with the amp itself with Mr. Oishi.

On any dap, iem, cable, or IC combo connected to the Sinfonia I am getting a LARGE amount of noise, which if i simply put my finger to the screen of the dap, it is massively amplified, more skin touching=louder and louder noise. I can put 2 fingers on the PO IC connection and it stops....if i hold those two fingers there and then put 1 to the screen or body of the dap, the noise is there, but far less prevalent. This noise stops immediately on playback and is completely removed, stop playback and the sound does not occur for 2-3 seconds after stopping, then it's back. Needless to say I am VERY puzzled and stumped. I sent an e-mail to UtsusemiWorks as they are very responsive and helpful throughout the purchasing process so hoping toget this resolved quickly and hopefully without needing to wait another month for the amp.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #75,791 of 88,315
I haven't heard all the single DD IEM out there, there are some in Japan that cost way over my budget, but from the one I tried, Dita PPT is the best singel DD there is for me.

I tried/own; FW1000, IE900, Softear Turri/TurriTi, EX-1000, Dita Dream OG, Dita feality, fidelity, Kaede, Kaede II, Peace minus 1, FW01,02,FD01 and ....

I'm glad it finally getting more attention. I didn't review it for the same reason as SP3 as I still haven't found a limit to their potential. They are very sensitive to amplification and response with cable upgrades.

Dec 29, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #75,792 of 88,315

Korean chinese food

While the night was mostly catching up, I got to try out Perpetua, Bonnyville, Trifecta (again), Mentor, SR35.

My memory of it still holds true. Mentors still a great set especially used. Rounded bass and lush mids. Not at 622Bs level in terms of resolution, dynamics or timbral finess, the crispy mid treble sticks out.

I resonated with Perpetuas balanced timbre. Pushes out good detail for a single DD.

Great times with some great people!

414866941_10168608494490654_1241889680082591646_n.jpg

I do love Vancouver's lights:

33FAF95E-D149-4D65-9741-9203BA32B134.JPEG

Dec 29, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #75,793 of 88,315

IMG_1391.jpeg
Korean chinese food

IMG_1396.jpeg

IMG_1386.jpeg

IMG_1387.jpeg

IMG_1388.jpeg

IMG_1385.jpeg

IMG_1384.jpeg

So 622B is the new GOAT!

Dec 29, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #75,794 of 88,315
Dec 29, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #75,795 of 88,315
IMG_3937.jpg

The humble Isabellae. O so lovely! For those who have the Divinus Velvets. Try it with the Isabellae. I used one size up from my usual and does wonders for fit and sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back