The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 17, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #73,876 of 89,889
I was fortunate enough to get the
ElysianAnnihilator23 tour demo this weekend and since I recently acquired Kinera Loki Emerald and having read the similarities between the two I was excited to A/B them.
IMG_9280.jpeg
IMG_8385.jpeg
And in fact, They are very similarly tuned. As everyone has said about Anni, it’s Midbass is very nice and warms up the signature with a nice full sound. The bass has great texture, has some grain and doesn’t extend very deep at all and starts to sound one note. Loki has more sub bass emphasis, detail/definition and extends very deep while still having an even amount of mid bass to keep the signature musical. Loki has much better resolution and feels more spacious in the mid range. Both are a bit recessed vocally and I can hear it more recessed with Anni. The mids are tonally more accurate on Loki with good texture. I hear Anni’s mids to be clear however with a bit of grain on the leading edges of notes. Which could be some mid bass bleed, vocals still being quite enjoyable in an analog sense. The treble on Anni as everyone has said is class leading extension while still sounding clear and smooth. Loki also has class leading extension and rivals Anni IMO. My biggest nitpick with Anni is the lack of coherency. It’s a bit distracting in that sense if I let my mind analyze. Loki on the other hand sounds more coherent of the two. I also prefer the imaging chops of the Loki over Anni. Soundstage sound similar to me. Loki maybe having better depth and layering. Both are 🐐 and Anni is nicer to look at :)
As always YMMV.

IMG_9286.jpeg

For my preferences I am glad to own the Loki. I am so glad I was finally able to hear the Annihilator!

IMG_9288.jpeg
What a great way to spend the weekend. 🙂

Dec 17, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #73,878 of 89,889
Dec 17, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #73,880 of 89,889
Since $1500 Range IEM’s are prevalent in a lot of taste tests here, could I get some suggestions on a similar price range of desktop amplifiers that have the appropriate noise floor for IEM’s.

As an example a CA1000T can be had for $1500 but it not just an amp but a “desktop audio player”. Just looking for $1500 range of desktop sized amps that require or take advantage of separate DAC/Streamers. Desktop sized would be like the mid sized Schiit gear or an HPA4 for instance and not a Holo Audio Bliss or rack width unit. Mini GSX, SPL Phonitor, ifi Pro iCan sized devices.

What’s your favorite desktop amp in these parameters for IEM’s if you will, please?

Here’s a small desk photo from the intarwebz:

IMG_3865.jpeg

OK, let me try this it this way.......I do realize this thread is mostly about IEM's, DAP's, hotel reservations, and the actual Music we listen to but I know some of you in here have the key to unlocking more magic for me :)

Anyone here have experience with this Earmen CH-AMP and IEM's?

https://earmen.com/index.php/products/earmen-ch-amp

Dec 17, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #73,881 of 89,889
Not allowed to sell review samples are you? Maybe you are, unsure :p
Not sure about other reviewers but most of the products I have reviewed on my channel over the last several years, I paid full price for. 🙂

My channel has a niche following but that’s okay. I review because it is insanely fun for me to do!

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #73,882 of 89,889
Not sure about other reviewers but most of the products I have reviewed on my channel over the last several years, I paid full price for. 🙂

Judging by your sig, you've kept the best :wink:

Dec 17, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #73,884 of 89,889
Dec 17, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #73,885 of 89,889
I'd also like to thank everyone for their support on my previous post, sometimes we're in the lab at some stupid hour in the dead of night wondering if anyone really cares that we are going the extra mile. So it really is quite heartening to see that others share our vision and appreciate the work we do and the effort we pour in.

I'll also respond to some queries that were kindly brought to my attention by various community members. With regards to the STORM tour unit, for now production capacity forecasts are lower than we expected, even with some production optimisations we've managed, the current projection is peak production of 10 units a month, with that in mind our priority will be getting units to clients, so it may be awhile before we have spare capacity to dedicate units for tours.

We are planning to start tours for Singularity, our refreshed cable line-up and Crimson between January and February though. More updates on that soon.

If I remember correctly I think @HiFiHawaii808 and @metaljem77 asked about the differences between the Mira and Mira mk2. For the mk2, some improvements have been made to the SPC used in the shield as well as the PVC used for the insulation. Sound wise, they are largely the same tonally, with some refinements to treble and slight improvement to technical performance relative to the original Mira.

There were also some questions about our new cables and the line-up refresh. The cables are ready and we are mainly waiting on the next batch of packaging. Once everything is ready we will also be starting the Mira trade in programme launch edition STORM owners who wish to upgrade to our new flagships, the Sovereign and Sovereign Symphony, or update to the Mira mk2. We will have information about the full line-up up on our website soon. In the mean time if anyone has any questions please feel free to email or DM me.

As for this we kind of went in the opposite direction of our original line up as a lot of the feedback was that our cables were too bulky, the 2w Vanguard was designed to be low profile to the point where a user can forget that they're wearing it, similar to what Estron used to offer, just not to the same extreme, and with a greater emphasis on better handling while coiling the cable and better sound quality. The overall concept for Singularity was to have a compact shell and cable for ultimate comfort. For Singularity's shell as well, after gathering feedback it seemed a smaller shell would be more ideal for fitting into more ears, as Helios turned out to be too big for many. But as it turns out we underestimated how big some western ears do get and the small shell if Singularity, while perfect for some, also seems to be an issue for other. In most cases this can be solved with using a longer and larger tip like the Spinfit W1 or Azla Sednafit regular, but it seems there are still instances where some discomfort is still experienced. This is something we are definitely taking into account for future designs. As for the Vanguard 2w stock cable on Singularity, I can assure you that despite it's low profile, the cable can withstand a large amount of both tensile and shear forces. It would be pretty hard to break unless you take a blade to it.
Great informational posts! Im excited to see what the standard release of Storm will look like! It's too bad that the tour units will be delayed but makes a lot of sense!

That said, I'm sure most folks on this thread have heard storm at some point but if not, id be happy to meet up and let others try it if you're in Seattle area. It's been a while since we've had a proper meetup too so maybe we need to organize one of those here locally.

Dec 17, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #73,886 of 89,889
Sunday afternoon listening session. The magic of this combo, an ode to timbre and natural sound.

IMG_1945.jpeg
these IEMs are so caked up my goodness

Dec 17, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #73,887 of 89,889
Has anyone here got to demo the Noble Audio XM-1? Newer tech, worth the hype?

Dec 17, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #73,888 of 89,889

My channel has a niche following but that’s okay. I review because it is insanely fun for me to do!

As a reviewer:
Translation = I paid full price after negotiating 50% off the dealer.

Dec 17, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #73,889 of 89,889
Since folks find this useful, if anyone is looking for ad blockers that actually work, PM me. I use two concurrently which block out all ads on Headfi. This results in a clean headfi ad free experience, that I would happily pay for *hint hint*.
Try using the BRAVE browser app. 😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Back