The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 22, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #71,237 of 91,364
Lana Del Rey - Norman F'ing Rockwell
Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA
Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge of Town
REM - Automatic For The People
Diana Krall - Live In Paris
Folklore - Taylor Swift
The Joshua Tree - U2
MASSEDUCTION - St. Vincent
DAMN - Kendrick Lamar

Nov 22, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #71,238 of 91,364
I just realize that most of us here are male, so the question is, where's the females 😂
I thought music are supposed to be a universal languange 😅
Music is, but this hobby is all about toys. Music is just the excuse we use to buy them. 😉

Nov 22, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #71,239 of 91,364
I'm not sure we've ever done a survey like this before, but...top 10 desert island albums. Compliations and greatest hits albums are admissable.
Rhythm & Sound With The Artists
King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown
Boards of Canada: Music has the right…
Verve: A Storm in Heaven
The Bunnymen: Heaven Up Here
The Cure: Disintegration
Cocteau Twins: Treasure
Tears for Fears: The Hurting
Beastie Boys: Paul’s Boutique
Prince & The Revolution: Purple Rain

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #71,240 of 91,364
Rhythm & Sound With The Artists
King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown
Music has the right to children
A Storm in Heaven
Heaven Up Here
Disintegration
Treasure
The Hurting
Paul’s Boutique
Purple Rain

Nice to see some Paul's Boutique love. Can you please edit that post above to contain the artist names? I will compile the new submissions into the master list tomorrow morning.

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #71,242 of 91,364
War - U2
Unforgettable Fire - U2
The Joshua Tree - U2
One More Light: Live - Linkin Park
101 (Live) : Depeche Mode
Wallflower: Diana Krall
Quiet Nights: Diana Krall
Kuonnokawa (EP): Alan (Dawa Dolma) [music from the Red Cliff]
Red Cliff - Shin Shen (EP): Alan (Dawa Dolma)
小王: 毛不易 [Little Wang: Mao Buyi]

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #71,243 of 91,364
IMG_3383.jpeg
IMG_3397.jpeg
IMG_3401.jpeg
IMG_3406.jpeg
IMG_3413.jpeg
Just having fun testing aceOrpheus cables on two of my faves right now. It’s quite the synergy with Anni23 both aesthetically and sound wise!

Also a couple macro shots with the iPhone :smile:

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 22, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #71,244 of 91,364
a bit off topic, but how does fir rn6 compared to anni23 and mentor?
Things have really spiralled out of control for you haven’t they? 😄

You mentioned that anni23 is thin and rn6 is v shaped, implied that the mentor is either u or w shaped. I don’t disagree with these opinions. From memory, the anni23 is very energetic in the higher registers to the point where I didn’t notice the bass.

Rn6 is indeed v shaped when compared to the mentor. Bass is also much more impactful. Treble is brighter. Mentor holds its own with more texture and holographic soundstage. Besides these they are also very different in their house sound. Coming from a MEST, mentor offers a somewhat familiar signature. Rn6 is very different.

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #71,245 of 91,364

Any of you guys know this artist? If you don't then try it on Bandcamp. I recommend this artist for chilling 😉
Macroblank is awesome. I own nearly all of their releases. The chillwave genre served as my jazz gateway. :)
MACROBLANK.png

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #71,246 of 91,364
I'm not sure we've ever done a survey like this before, but...top 10 desert island albums. Compliations and greatest hits albums are admissable.

Adjusted for desert island survival:

Most for staying alive (i.e chopping firewood, hunting, etc), some for meditating.

Les Friction (full album)
Muse - Absolution
Linkin Park - Meteora
Dream Theatre - Train of Thought
Killswitch Engage - End of a Heartache
Skillet - Comatose
Armin Van Buuren - Mirage
LOTR Soundtrack 3
Ten steps from Hell - Greatest hits
Mozart - Requiem (when the food runs out 🤭)

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #71,247 of 91,364
Owing to being heavily multigenral, I wanted to be clever with compilations, hoping to conquer a lot of ground. That was hopelessly futile. Instead, I'll focus (primarily) on a specific period of my misspent youth, with one poignant ode to adulthood:

The Smiths - Complete
Morrissey - The Best of Morrissey
The Cure - Greatest Hits
Depeche Mode - 101
OMD - The Best of OMD
Oingo Boingo - Best O' Boingo
Green Day - International Superhits!
James - The Best Of
The Trash Can Sinatras - Cake
The Trash Can Sinatras - In The Music

1700637978216.png
The Smiths - Complete
Truly complete. Even the fiendishly hard-to-find studio recording of "The Draize Train" is here. Wish I had this way back then.
1700638019485.png
Morrissey - The Best of Morrissey
In retrospect, I'm pretty sure half the songs are about Marr. BTW, we played "Suedehead" in my high school talent show. Was a train wreck but whatever lol.
1700638075658.png
The Cure - Greatest Hits
Played "Just Like Heaven" in that same talent show but this went much better. We had the most adorable girl sing lead, which gave the song a whole new dimension. Dawnee Meyers, if you're out there, love ya girl!
1700638301714.png
Depeche Mode - 101
Ugh, that gut-wrenching pause during "Somebody" is just... who will put their arms around me and kiss me... tenderly. Would have liked to have "But Not Tonight" in there somewhere but it's fine.
1700638124840.png
OMD - The Best of OMD
The peak of their classic line-up with Humphries. A little silly, a little sappy, and deceptively simple from a musical standpoint - but oh so good and reminiscent of the Eighties.
1700638278276.png
Oingo Boingo - Best O' Boingo
Almost a perfect compilation. Only the omission of "We Close Our Eyes" from Boi-Ngo mars this collection. At least "Out of Control" is here, that song kept me alive.
1700638256571.png
Green Day - International Superhits!
It was either this or Social D's eponymous album. This is better.
1700638061013.png
James - The Best Of
Oh sit down, oh sit down, oh sit down, sit down next to me! Sit down, down, down, down, down in sympathy.
1700638582393.png
The Trash Can Sinatras - Cake
The debut album of my favorite band in the whole wide world. Their lyrical wordplay still ranks amongst the best I've heard.
1700638549369.png
The Trash Can Sinatras - In The Music
I really didn't want to burn a whole tenth of my allotment on this album, but I need this for the island. The live bonus track "Wild Mountainside" is what I want played at my funeral.

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #71,248 of 91,364
I don't really listen to albums so many of my favourite songs and artists aren't even on here, and far less genre representation... ordered by "chance that you've heard of this" starting from the top.

1. Master of Puppets - Metallica

2. In Silico - Pendulum

3. Kaleidoscope - DJ Okawari

4. The Book - YOASOBI

5. 月が満ちる - 月詠み

6. Kanaria.code - Kanaria

7. Rebirth Story III - FELT (if you're gonna force me to pick 1 disc then the Red one)

8. 東方フィルハーモニー交響楽団1 紅 - 交響アクティブNEETs

9. 第2幕協奏曲「月に叢雲華に風」- 幽閉少女アクティブNEETs

10. The Flames of the Inferno - CROWSCLAW

Oh, but if OSTs count then please replace 東方フィルハーモニー交響楽団1 紅 with Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files {Rail Zeppelin} Grace note Original Sound Track by Yuki Kajiura, but I think that's cheating.

I go years without listening to some albums, I am constantly cycling in and out new music. These are albums that represent an "era" of my life that I care enough to remember. The parts of my life I don't care so much to remember have been omitted, even if I still like the songs.

Actually let's have some more fun with this, favourite song from each, same as the previous order:

Battery

Showdown or Propane Nightmares sorry can't pick

Flower Dance

群青

生きるよすが

酔いどれ知らず (in all honesty I hardly listen to any of the original versions of the songs from this album, if you don't like Vocaloid then go look for Amatsuki's (天月) cover, I like that one)

Landscape

亡き王女の為のセプテット (Remilia's theme)

瞳に隠された想ヒ or 小悪魔りんご sorry can't pick

Nuclear Fusion

Oh and as a bonus, for the Case Files OST, "we call him heartless"

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #71,249 of 91,364
IMG_0104.jpeg
Relax and Unwind, house Delta headphones. You have been pardoned like a White House turkey. Happy travels to fellow Watercoolers chilling with their families this upcoming holiday!

Nov 22, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #71,250 of 91,364
Good luck with the Code23, I had all kinds of struggles with it's ergo....

...specifically the torque it applies to the 2-pin connector housing on my IEM shells. That torque is so strong it twisted UIEMs out of my ears, and I was super afraid of it breaking the housing on my customs. This was sitting at my desk moving my head back and forth slightly. I suppose it would work if you are lying down in bed, or reclined in a chair with your eyes closed, but other than that it's unusable imho...

...just look at it 🤦‍♂️

I have to believe there are better cables at there or thereabouts the price, and I look forward to trying out Fusion1 and maybe Raphael..
I know I know, the ergo will defo be a Pita. But I hope the struggle will be worth it!
Tokyo:
E-Earphone is the most obvious option. Largest selection and there’s several used options too. You get an extra discount on used sets if you come on a day that ends with 5.
Fujiya Avic is also a large one but the location is not central in Tokyo. You’ll be on the JR for a while to reach this.

If you’re not picky about your selection and can deal with a smaller collection there’s always electronic stores like Bic Camera, and Yodobashi.
I ventured to Yodobashi prior to my IEM hobby reigniting and I was agast by the sheer amount of stuff there. If only I knew about e-earphone by then... But I have an excuse to go to Japan for another trip! It was such a fine honeymoon destination that we promised each other we'll go there once the kids grow up a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back