The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 21, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #71,116 of 89,505
About 4w ago, I placed an order with Andrew @ MT to upgrade one of the stock cables (3.5) that came with the VE Aura with a chiron nova one. It finally came today (unexpectedly), and I got about 2hrs to test it out. Previously I was using the FT cable with the Aura, which I thought was a pretty good pairing to bring out the sound stage, but keeping the charm of the IEM in that it pulls you into the music. With the chiron nova, it took it another step up in that it increased the sound stage, but still kept that intimate feel as if you are at the front stage of a small auditorium. For those of you in California, think of the Warfield as the venue!

The test track that I really shined was Invincible by Tool over the UM AP (granted I haven't broken it in yet) and the supv3. The mixture of percussions and guitar can be felt through your soul, especially at the 9:20min mark as it builds up into the drum at 9:36min mark.

Btw this the only IEM that has the same characteristic as the EE Odin to make you feel like your in the middle of a club for EDM.

I was not ready to put the aura back on, as I was desperately trying to compare the n30le regular vs n30le limited and UM AP. However, this has been a real pleasant surprise to see that the VE aura still has character that neither the rhapsodio supv3 or the UM AP can pull out. The source for all IEMs was still the N30LE regular as I don't think i've had enough hours on the N30LE AP version.

I can't wait to try it out with other tracks, but I really need to finish other projects I started already (N30LE vs N30LE AP) and how much better the UM AP is with the UM MM.

For anyone who wants one IEM that has great energy that has a way to make you feel like you are one with the music; get the VE AURA with Chiron Nova!
I couldn’t bring myself to spend that much on a cable, so I settled on upgrading to the Rafael cable instead, and it is an incredible pairing, wish I could try the Chiron nova with Aura 🥵 maybe one day..thank you for your impressions 🙏🏼

Nov 21, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #71,117 of 89,505
Electronic:
Boards Of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children
Biosphere - Substrata
Carbon Based Lifeforms - World Of Sleepers
Carbon Based Lifeforms - Interloper
Jean-Michel Jarre - Waiting for Cousteau
Kraftwerk - The Man Machine
Plaid - Not For Threes
Secede - Tryshasla
Vector Lovers - Vector Lovers
Yagya - Rigning

Not Electronic:
Alphaville - Forever Young
Bryan Ferry - Boys And Girls
Clannad - Banba
Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas
Dana Gillespie - It Belongs to Me
Mike Oldfield - The Songs Of Distant Earth
Gino Vannelli - Black Cars
Jethro Tull - Minstrel In The Gallery
Kate Bush - Never For Ever
Mike Oldfield - Discovery

Nov 21, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #71,118 of 89,505
Electronic:
Biosphere - Substrata
Plaid - Not For Threes
Secede - Tryshasla
Yagya - Rigning

Not Electronic:
Clannad - Banba
Electronic:
Biosphere - Substrata
Plaid - Not For Threes
Secede - Tryshasla
Yagya - Rigning

Not Electronic:
Clannad - Banba
Running through some of these albums now so far they’re awesome 🔥 love exploring new music

Nov 21, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #71,121 of 89,505
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Michael Jackson - Bad
Ennio Morricone Hits
Eagles - Hotel California
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Greatest Hits Compilation
Beethoven Symphony collection
George Michael - Faith
Nirvana - Nevermind

Honorable mentions:
Michael Jackson - HIStory, past, present, future: Book 1
Billy Joel Greatest Hits
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Eminem 8 mile soundtrack

Nov 21, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #71,122 of 89,505
My list in no particular order :
Muse - Origin of Symmetry
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Radiohead - OK Computer
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the Way
Pulp - This is Hardcoare
The xx - xx
Wolf Alice - Visions of a Life

Daft Punk - Alive 2007
Chemical Brothers - Don't Think
Any Metallica live album
Ooh good shouts

Nov 21, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #71,124 of 89,505
And another...

And another...

I think we all need to meet up on this island for a party 😎
If all the Coolers were on this island, we could make some serious Canjam! Can you imagine, Canjam everyday?! Come on guys! Let’s go on this island! :D
The Cooler Island! I’m applying for the visa right now!

On another note I received my ibasso DC Elite earlier than planned, and I’m not gonna complain about it! Funny how some unexpected events in life don’t bother you even the slightest! :ksc75smile:
I was supposed to receive it tomorrow, but well… That’s China delivery service for you! :D It’s crazy how fast they are at delivering stuff And most of the time it’s free! You could even order one cucumber at 3:00am (if one has a real cucumber need…) and they would deliver it in 30 minutes at your doorstep for free! That’s nuts! Try do that in France (or pretty much anywhere else I guess)! :D

Anyways, here are the unboxing and comparison pictures of the cucumber… uuhh I mean the DC Elite (sorry, the green leather case got me confused…) :

IMG_6632.jpeg

DC elite size VS Ifi Go Bar Gold and L&P W2 :
IMG_6633.jpeg

DC Elite size VS L&P LP6 Gold :
Funny how it almost looks like a mini LP6 Ti with the same leather case color and the titanium casing.
IMG_6634.jpeg

Weight Comparison:
IMG_6635.jpeg

Also, I discovered something that almost fix the complain I had about the volume knob. At least a way to have more volume precision between each step of the knob.
There actually is a button on the side of the dongle that allows you to lower the volume by 1dB with each press of that button up to 3 times (which means -3dB), the 4th press will go back to 0dB.
This feat obviously doesn’t fix the issue of the sound cutting between each step of the knob while rotating it… But I’m OK with that…

That’s it guys! I hope this is helpful.

Have a nice one!

Cheers,

Julien

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #71,125 of 89,505
If all the Coolers were on this island, we could make some serious Canjam! Can you imagine, Canjam everyday?! Come on guys! Let’s go on this island! :D
The Cooler Island! I’m applying for the visa right now!

On another note I received my ibasso DC Elite earlier than planned, and I’m note gonna complain about it! Funny how some unexpected events in life don’t bother you even the slightest! :ksc75smile:
I was supposed to receive it tomorrow, but well… That’s China delivery service for you! :D It’s crazy how fast they are at delivering stuff And most of the time it’s free! You could even order one cucumber at 3:00am (if one has a real cucumber need…) and they would deliver it in 30 minutes at your doorstep for free! That’s nuts! Try do that in France (or pretty much anywhere else I guess)! :D

Anyways, here are the unboxing and comparison pictures of the cucumber… uuhh I mean the DC Elite (sorry, the green leather case got me confused…) :

IMG_6632.jpeg

DC elite size VS Ifi Go Bar Gold and L&P W2 :
IMG_6633.jpeg

DC Elite size VS L&P LP6 Gold :
Funny how it almost looks like a mini LP6 Ti with the same leather case color and the titanium casing.
IMG_6634.jpeg

Weight Comparison:
IMG_6635.jpeg

Also, I discovered something that almost fix the complain I had about the volume knob. At least a way to had more volume precision between each step of the knob.
There actually is a button on the side of the dongle that allows you to lower the volume by 1dB with each press of that button up to 3 times (which means -3dB), the 4th press will go back to 0dB.
This feat obviously doesn’t fix the issue of the sound cutting between each step of the knob while rotating it… But I’m OK with that…

That’s it guys! I hope this is helpful.

Have a nice one!

Cheers,

Julien
Quite a chunky fellow, this DC Elite is

Nov 21, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #71,126 of 89,505
10 is near impossible, will probably miss out on some gems if I try.

Biosphere - Substrata + Man with a Movie Camera
Swallow The Sun - Songs from the North I, II & III
Infected Mushroom - Converting Vegeterians II
Francis Harris - Leland
Casiopea - CASIOPEA
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Tool - Fear Inoculum
Agnes Obel - Aventine
Aes Dana - Jetlag Corporation
Dave Brubeck - Take Five

Nov 21, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #71,127 of 89,505
Electronic:

Not Electronic:

Absolutely fantastic BOC pick. Really amazing album. Also your Kate Bush "Never for Ever" pick... I used her Army Dreamers song off that album for iem testing just a few days ago. It's so well recorded, and right at the top of the song is such a perfect mix and balance of sounds and harmonies, including that male vocal floating in the background... if an iem isn't going to sound right to you it's immediately apparent with that track I think.

Nov 21, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #71,128 of 89,505
IF this sounds like a mini 320Max, I want it. If it has a 24 step attenuating, I want it less. The thing that annoys you about it is exactly what annoys me about the 320Max. Not sure why they opted for that approach. Does anybody like it?

Making it up, I always suspected marketing

Desktop amps use stepped attenuators for apparent sound reasons because of the quality of parts and matching channel balance, at the expense of losing finer granular control due to the fixed steps (for example Headamp, Violectric, Benchmark). Reading all the hardware and software teething issues with the 320 Max the stepped attenuator struck me as a marketing gimmick. Get the basics right - actually at the 320 Max asking price do the basics exceptionally well - then talk about a stepped attenuator. 24 steps is not really user friendly for portable IEM use when we all have different kit and listening levels either

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #71,129 of 89,505
Making it up, I always suspected marketing

Desktop amps use stepped attenuators for apparent sound reasons because of the quality of parts and matching channel balance, at the expense of losing finer granular control due to the fixed steps (for example Headamp, Violectric, Benchmark). Reading all the hardware and software teething issues with the 320 Max the stepped attenuator struck me as a marketing gimmick. Get the basics right - actually at the 320 Max asking price do the basics exceptionally well - then talk about a stepped attenuator. 24 steps is not really user friendly for portable IEM use when we all have different kit and listening levels either
I have to disagree. I travel with my DX320Max weekly, and it’s never been an issue. Yes you have to fine tune it a bit, but I don’t question the end quality as none of my players sound as good as the DX320Max. Granted I only use one IEM these days (or close), and I have other DAPs, but the combo DX320Max/Storm is complete bliss for me, even with the stepped attenuator!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back