The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 16, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #67,006 of 88,418
My relationship with IEMs has completely changed since I switched from enthusiast to reviewer.

If I was still sinking most of my disposal income into audio, I'd stick to one, maybe two IEMs and a good source and call it a day. But since that's no longer an issue, having an IEM collection doesn't weigh heavy on my conscious (or wallet), and I can enjoy them for what they are whenever I get to use them - which in my case, for some very fancy IEMs, is not very often at all (after the initial testing and documenting).

Some IEMs only see the light of day once or twice a month, it that, and usually only when used for comparative purposes.

I have my favourites, of course, but even then they don't get special preference because most of my listening time is usually taken up by what's next in the review queue.

With all that said, I think a 'collection' of 2-3 IEMs is more than sufficient, with 4-7 covering every single nook and cranny. Also, any IEM that doesn't feature world class DD bass is mothballed after the review listen, which makes thinning the herd much easier in my case.
Yeah, review units are a different kettle of fish I feel. I have a few review samples but I don’t feel any guilt or anxiety about using them because I haven’t paid for them. I think when your hard earned money is involved, it’s a different feeling because you subconsciously know you could sell those lesser used pieces of gear and invest that money into something else.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #67,007 of 88,418
Any suggestions for the IEMs with the largest soundstage that you have heard?

The biggest I have tried are the Z1Rs but they are uncomfortable for me sadly. The next best I have tried are my 64Audio N8 custom.

Since soundstage, comfort, and iems not falling out while dancing are priorities, perhaps another custom might be what I need...

Check out Raven
When I did my buying I had compared it to Mentor and Ronin mostly based on stage, and decided on Raven

Oct 16, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #67,008 of 88,418
While people are talking about new toys...

Just got this old news (but still great "news") to demo. So I decided to also take my "old" lady Layla's out.

This tiny cute thing is nothing to ignore if you favour the sound and don't mind the "dongly" thing.

It sounds quite detailed and technical for size and compared to other dongles I had. Trying face to face with ifi GoBlu (wired), it sounds noticeable more technical and detailed. Still keeping a smooth presentation, not thinny like BTR5.

What about catch back on this baby on another fun ride??

Alright...let's got to the final impressions on this little beast.

Disclaimer

Alright, the opening of all… W4 was sent to me as part of its Australian tour. But as usual I have no attachments with the brand. So these impressions are just a fun free time enjoying good music over a beer.

Introduction

Enter the W4, Luxury & Precision's sleek little dongle that promises a first-class audio ecstasy in a gas lighter size, right like the good classic Rock stars use to carry around. But how does it really fare when thrown in the mosh pit with the Fiio BTR5, Fiio UTWS5, iFi GO Blu, and especially its in-house big brother, the P6 Pro? The real test comes when we do a feature participation with the lords of IEMs - 64 Audio 12t, Fir Xe6, Unique Melody Mentor Multiverse, and Elysian Diva. To test this super band we have Mastodon, Opeth, Pantera, and Polyphia.

IMG_0051.jpg

Design & Usability

The W4 sleek and confident design, with a user-friendly interface that screams simplicity like old punk rock bands. But here's the first draw of sweet from W4, while it's design resemble luxury, it is still a dongle, for this price I would expect it to be whispering in my ears. It feels like headbanging in the crowd, not quite the VIP experience. Either way, it is still one of the best designed and built dongle around.

Sound Quality - The Metal Crucible

Hooking up the W4 with Fir Xe6 and queuing Mastodon’s “Blood and Thunder” should've been like unleashing a sound kraken. The lows? Textured and could feel in my tongue, but not the earth-shattering tremors sub lows you anticipate, something the P6 Pro delivers like an amp explosion. The W4's DAC, though decent, doesn't quite summon make me want to be in the mosh pit kicking everything.

IMG_0053.jpg

Transitioning to Opeth's “The Funeral Portrait” with the 64a 12t, the W4 showed prowess in separating instruments but seemed a tad shy in the mids, almost like holding back the growls during a vocal death metal scream-off. Compared to the P6 Pro, known for embracing Opeth's darkness like a gothic romance with bold and embracing sound, the W4 felt more like a cautious neutral sounding.

And here comes Pantera’s “Cowboys from Hell.” Paired with the Unique Melody Mentor Multiverse, the W4 preserved the integrity of those iconic riffs but lacked a bit of that raw, gritty punch. The solos wailed, but did they send shivers down your spine? Yep, especially when you know the iFi GO Blu dares to push that envelope, albeit clumsily at times.

IMG_0083.jpeg

The complexity test was Polyphia’s “GOAT” channelling through the Elysian Diva. Here, the W4 demonstrated its flexibility, handling intricate layers better than the Fiio UTWS5 and ifi go blu. However, it played it a bit too safe, curbing the highs and not quite delivering the electrifying jolts you crave in such blistering tracks, like P6 Pro.

Final thoughts - Those last 3 songs to close the concert

The Luxury & Precision W4 dongle is like the rhythm guitarist of the audio world. Solid, reliable, holding the performance together, but seldom does it steal the spotlight with a mind-melting solo. But you wouldn't dare to say that our Master of Puppets Papa James is a bad Rhythm guitarist. The same can be said about W4, specially against against the Fiio devices and iFi GO Blu, it holds its ground really well, showcasing certain strengths, particularly in user experience due to it's quite comprehensive display and a balanced sound profile.

However, standing next to the P6 Pro, the W4 is overshadowed, like that local band opening for The Metallica. It’s competent, yes, but next to the P6 Pro's rock-god performance, it can't help but show why the gods are the gods. It respects the IEMs' characteristics but hesitates to push them into the chaos of metal performance.

IMG_0054.jpg

Edit: corrected ifi go blu picture.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #67,009 of 88,418
Neo5.jpg

Just finished my review of the ISN Neo5s, which you're invited to read here, in which I compare them with the following IEMs:

ISN EST50
Campfire Audio Ponderosa
Campfire Audio Supermoon 2023 Universal
Campfire Trifecta
Dunu Falcon Ultra
Dunu Vulcan DK-X6
Letshoer s12 Pro
Penon Globe
Thieaudio Monarch MKIII
Unique Melody Mest MKIII
What source did you use for the comparisons?

Oct 16, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #67,010 of 88,418
Nope. Not willing to pay the full price 😂
It's better to wait for my friend sell it back to me later when he bored with it
😂 UM just deduct the price of the regular N30LE from $13k to arrive at that price. I can’t bring myself to spend that kind of money as well.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #67,011 of 88,418
Jeff, you could take the non-stop from NYC to SGP Singapore Airlines. It is a wonderful experience to be on an all business class aircraft 🤣

This is the whole reason I am dedicating an entire year and then upgrading because I personally do not feel the need to have a $30 K chain.

However, N 30 LE + Subtonic Strom + Aroma Fie Wan + cables is around $15 - $20 K range and it is not something I am ready for at the moment.

Honestly in this day and age there is no "need" for a $30k chain IMHO. While I won't dispute the testimony of those who insist on going that far for the benefits they perceive, I would say it's also just as true that there are a plethora of great options at lower price points so that right now anyone should be able to find their audio bliss no matter what budget they're working with. I would be lying if I didn't admit that my Bonneville + SR35 (~$2k) wasn't neck and neck in terms of pure enjoyment as anything else I've heard lately.

But for those who want that 80's - 90's stereo sound in the world of HI-FI MQA Harman IEMs, what other option do they have is worth pondering over.

Precisely this. I'm just grateful there are companies like CFA out there willing to go against the grain and try new things, and this despite all the ire and animus they have historically received for doing so. It's practically a platitude that something like the CFA Trifecta will not be for everyone, but those (like myself) for whom it is for are very grateful it exists as it is one of the most eminently satisfying and unique listening experiences on the market right now IMHO. My experience with this IEM solidified my inclination to more-or-less completely ignore "mainstream" reviewers and status quo opinions on anything until I've heard it for myself.

Of course, I completely understand, CanJams might not be conveniently located for some, but you can look at this travel expense as an investment to save money by avoiding unnecessary purchases or by scoring extra show discounts.

This is so true. The ability to demo gear for yourself is really the only way to get to the bottom of it-- and there is no more efficient way to do this than at a CanJam. The money you invest in going could easily match what one might spend in a few months somewhat arbitrarily "playing the field" as it were.

Oct 16, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #67,012 of 88,418
😂 UM just deduct the price of the regular N30LE from $13k to arrive at that price. I can’t bring myself to spend that kind of money as well.
You can sometimes find Sony R10 for this kind of price.

However without a guarantee... often with channel imbalance... and usually without the bass xd (Bass heavy version is probably a myth, bass dissapears after cleaning it).

W2022 should also cost similarly but I've never seen one on a 2nd market.

So yes, UM is very innovative :) I'm waiting till someone introduces new pricing strategies like a monthly fee for an IEM as in "IEM as a service" (IeaS:)).

Oct 16, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #67,014 of 88,418
I think that one belongs to someone who purchase the AP bundle but didn't want the IEM and put it on MusicTeck to sell it.

I don't know if it fully sunk in to me before that Amber Pearl has e-stats. This means it is not simply a re-jigged Mentor (or Jardin). It's completely its own thing as I don't think UM has yet released an IEM with this config (BA/e-stat/BCD) before.

Oct 16, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #67,015 of 88,418
Honestly in this day and age there is no "need" for a $30k chain IMHO. While I won't dispute the testimony of those who insist on going that far for the benefits they perceive, I would say it's also just as true that there are a plethora of great options at lower price points so that right now anyone should be able to find their audio bliss no matter what budget they're working with. I would be lying if I didn't admit that my Bonneville + SR35 (~$2k) wasn't neck and neck in terms of pure enjoyment as anything else I've heard lately.

Precisely this. I'm just grateful there are companies like CFA out there willing to go against the grain and try new things, and this despite all the ire and animus they have historically received for doing so. It's practically a platitude that something like the CFA Trifecta will not be for everyone, but those (like myself) for whom it is for are very grateful it exists as it is one of the most eminently satisfying and unique listening experiences on the market right now IMHO. My experience with this IEM solidified my inclination to more-or-less completely ignore "mainstream" reviewers and status quo opinions on anything until I've heard it for myself.

This is so true. The ability to demo gear for yourself is really the only way to get to the bottom of it-- and there is no more efficient way to do this than at a CanJam. The money you invest in going could easily match what one might spend in a few months somewhat arbitrarily "playing the field" as it were.
If I spend anything north of $1,500 on an IEM, it would only be for a sound that is 'mind-blowing' and challenges the norms of audiophile grade tuning.

This is one of the reasons I have a bias towards IEMs made in Singapore. They are philosophical about tuning and are quite willing to take the risk. They are not pushing too many IEMs into the market either.

As far as DAPs are concerned, RS8, DX 320 Max TI and N 30 LE are good options as streaming is a must for me.

I wouldn't spend more than $1,000 on a single cable. It is my 'personal maximus'. I would however make an exception for Nightjar cables if I ever found myself with some extra cash to blow.

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #67,016 of 88,418
photo_2023-10-16_22-26-11.jpg

The JDS Labs Element III Mk2 4.4mm version is in! I'm primarily a desktop listener with my IEMs so I was deciding between this versus the schiit stack+ with its negative gain. My decision was clear when John from JDS told me that it was possible to assemble my unit with a 4.4mm headphone jack upon request.

This isn't actually "balanced" and performs the same as the 6.35mm version would; but that doesn't really matter. It sounds amazing and will pair wonderfully with the increasing number of premium IEMs that come paired with nicely braided 4.4mm cables.

Being more of an IEM enthusiast, it's the perfect desktop amp that can drive any IEM with perfect channel balance down to the lowest of volumes. At regular listening levels with my daily driver AuR Aurora, this combo is incredibly revealing.

Compared to my previous amp the Fiio K7, the E3 is a clear upgrade. The K7 had audible hiss with sensitive IEMs from both the 6.35mm and 4.4mm outputs. Additionally, the K7 sounds noticeably congested with some treble "glare" on the same IEMs.

My favourite aspect of the E3 is how it sounds transparent and dynamic even at low volume listening, I don't feel the need to crank up that knob for more details or perceived soundstage - it's effortlessly resolving and my hearing is thankful for it. Sadly, I can only enjoy this at home but I'm excited to try this out with future purchases.

Despite its USD449 price tag, I think the E3 has excellent value from a sound perspective. Bonus if you don't mind sacrificing portability for a a BIG KNOB which makes volume adjustment a pleasure.

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #67,017 of 88,418
You can sometimes find Sony R10 for this kind of price.

However without a guarantee... often with channel imbalance... and usually without the bass xd (Bass heavy version is probably a myth, bass dissapears after cleaning it).

W2022 should also cost similarly but I've never seen one on a 2nd market.

So yes, UM is very innovative :) I'm waiting till someone introduces new pricing strategies like a monthly fee for an IEM as in "IEM as a service" (IeaS:)).
IaaS that’s a great idea!

Sony R10 … I remember the “rage” back then when things were not as accessible as today. At least the current HE-1 is theoretically available for listening. For those of us who started this hobby back in the 2000s it would have been a real privilege to have listened to the R10, let alone own one. To console myself, I bought the W5000. It was the most expensive pair of cans I bought back then. The W2022 should be 10x the price?

Anyway, thank you for your perspective. It brings back some fond memories.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #67,018 of 88,418
If I spend anything north of $1,500 on an IEM, it would only be for a sound that is 'mind-blowing' and challenges the norms of audiophile grade tuning.

This is one of the reasons I have a bias towards IEMs made in Singapore. They are philosophical about tuning and are quite willing to take the risk. They are not pushing too many IEMs into the market either.

As far as DAPs are concerned, RS8, DX 320 Max TI and N 30 LE are good options as streaming is a must for me.

I wouldn't spend more than $1,000 on a single cable. It is my 'personal maximus'. I would however make an exception for Nightjar cables if I ever found myself with some extra cash to blow.
Singapore is where it's at! I have so much respect for AüR Audio. Challenging the big boys while keeping the pricing approachable.

This is my current favourite, vocals are buttery and full, bass is fantastic, treble is relaxed - that's why brain burn-in is preferable, should you be used to more pronounced V-shaped sets, to appreciate just how well it's incorporated here.
20230922_084055.jpg

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #67,020 of 88,418
Singapore is where it's at! I have so much respect for AüR Audio. Challenging the big boys while keeping the pricing approachable.

This is my current favourite, vocals are buttery and full, bass is fantastic, treble is relaxed - that's why brain burn-in is preferable, should you be used to more pronounced V-shaped sets, to appreciate just how well it's incorporated here.
20230922_084055.jpg
Aur Audio, Nicholas Teo doesn't offer shipping to India for reasons unknown to me or else he would find plenty of buyers here.

I like how he makes the IEMs in small batches and takes his time for deliveries. Boutique manufacturers are simply outstanding in this regard.

I am also a big fan of Elysian (Malaysia) 7th Acoustics (Indonesia) TXN Audio (Vietnam). All these people are simply fanatic about quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back