The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 14, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #66,751 of 89,830
E12 mustn’t be too far away 🥳

IMG_2407.jpeg

Oct 14, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #66,753 of 89,830
Oct 14, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #66,755 of 89,830

How do you guys feel about putting together an official Watercooler playlist?

Maybe we can all contribute some tracks to it, to cover many genres or various audio qualities that we listen for. This way, manufacturers and exhibitors can have those tracks downloaded and available at all CanJams and events - thus circumventing any show wi-fi issues.

Perhaps we can even come up with two lists - one list of perennial reference tracks, and one rotating seasonal list to account for whatever earworm is burrowing through our brains at the moment?

Just a thought.
That’s a great idea, even if it means manufacturers having to stock up on 256GB SD cards just to store them all. :D

With all the flavors of IEMs and all these new exciting IEMs, I've been revisiting my collections so I'll be able to appreciate my future purchases more and came back to the Elysium. It reminds me that despite being a 4-year-old IEM, it is still one of my absolute favorites. I remember when I returned to the hobby, I was allowed to try the entire VE lineup, including the EXT, Phonix and Elysium.

Out of all of them, I fell in love with the Elysium and ordered customs for them. However, since I did not want to wait to get my new audio toys, I ended up getting both the Phonix and Elysium at the same time.

While Phonix is technically more impressive and very seductive to listen to, Elysium still grabs me at the heart with that DD-mid and the electrostatic treble. Just what a joy to listen.
+1. I still listen to the ELYSIUM regularly to this day. ‘Can’t wait for the VE X to come out. I think that’s more of an “ELYSIUM v2” than the EXT was.

Where do you guys usually download or purchase your hires music? I've been looking for these 2 albums from Casiopea but HDtracks don't have it. Found it on Qobuz but Qobuz is not available on my country so I can't purchase it 🥲
And maybe any recommendation on Jazz fusion band like Casiopea? Thanks 😁
If you want similar bands to Casiopeia, I can maybe point you in a few directions. Someone mentioned T-Square, but I’ve found they’re more like Casiopeia live than in the studio. :D

Dave Weckl’s Masterplan record and his Convergence record with Jay Oliver have strong Casiopeia vibes:

Valeriy Stepanov’s Live 2 album has that energy as well:

Incognito's a good shout if you want a similar live vibe:

Also, because I'm biased, here are a couple Snarky Puppy tracks. :D

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #66,757 of 89,830
+1. I still listen to the ELYSIUM regularly to this day. ‘Can’t wait for the VE X to come out. I think that’s more of an “ELYSIUM v2” than the EXT was.

All these impressions of the VEX really has me intrigued. I’ve been waiting for a VE8/Ely like IEM from VE with DD bass and I think it might just be “the one” for me.

VE’s midrange special cause just sounds so right to me. Most other manufacturers just seem to have a thinness/shoutyness in mids that always leaves me wanting.

I’ll prob end up with a combo of VE8/EXT/VEX and quit the hobby for good.

Oct 14, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #66,758 of 89,830
As many have mentioned, the RN6, with the tuning modules, would likely be a top all-round contender. One that I love, that plays everything I listen to very well, with balance and great tonality, is the Nostalgia Camelot. Plus, relatively speaking, it won't break the bank! It's a great all rounder, IMO.

Edit: Yes, @Scuba Devils , I agree!

Interesting! Any thoughts on camelot vs mentor?

Oct 14, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #66,761 of 89,830
Oct 14, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #66,762 of 89,830
Guys, are RN6/XE6/Odin/Raven/Odyssey considered as an upgrade over IERZ1R or a sidegrade? On the verge of getting one of them. Need suggestions from you guys, who tried all these. TIA.

Oct 14, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #66,763 of 89,830
Interesting! Any thoughts on camelot vs mentor?
Camelot has better textured bass with the DD configuration, though it's not a bass centric iem. It's fairly neutral from the lower mids through the upper mids. Upper mids are the biggest difference, where the Camelot is slightly pulled back, and the Mentor is more forward, which gives the Mentor the edge in vocals. I prefer the Mentor's mids in general, as they seem to have a little more density and weight. Camelot's treble is clear and detailed with no sibilance. It's treble is more airy and etherial than the Mentor, which by comparison is a little more natural and analog. Take it all with a grain of salt, as I've had the Mentor on an Orphy cable, which really gives the Mentor a different profile, and I'm trying to draw a comparison from memory of the Mentor with the stock cable. Camelot's stock cable is very nice, but I've also enjoyed listening to it with the OTL. OTL adds a little weight to the mids of the Camelot. Apologies to the cable non believers! :wink:

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #66,764 of 89,830
Camelot has better textured bass with the DD configuration, though it's not a bass centric iem. It's fairly neutral from the lower mids through the upper mids. Upper mids are the biggest difference, where the Camelot is slightly pulled back, and the Mentor is more forward, which gives the Mentor the edge in vocals. I prefer the Mentor's mids in general, as they seem to have a little more density and weight. Camelot's treble is clear and detailed with no sibilance. It's treble is more airy and etherial than the Mentor, which by comparison is a little more natural and analog. Take it all with a grain of salt, as I've had the Mentor on an Orphy cable, which really gives the Mentor a different profile, and I'm trying to draw a comparison from memory of the Mentor with the stock cable. Camelot's stock cable is very nice, but I've also enjoyed listening to it with the OTL. OTL adds a little weight to the mids of the Camelot. Apologies to the cable non believers! :wink:

I was trying to remember how Mentor sounded vs Camelot and you’ve definitely reminded me now from your description - I’d say Mentor also bigger soundstage and more holographic from memory? I think for the most part I prefer mids to step back very slightly and it’s probably why Mentor didn’t last very long with me. Oh and Camelot bass is fantastic, totally agree not bass centric but the 2x DD implementation for sub and mid is wonderful in terms of quality and overall distinction… it was one of the first things that struck me when I first heard Camelot back in March.

I’ve just spent a large part of my Saturday morning listening via N7, fantastic.

IMG_8102.jpeg

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #66,765 of 89,830
@Piotr Michalak , can you explain the difference between Amber Pearl and Le Jardin?
It's fundamental, refined V-shape (Amber Pearl) versus warm dark neutral (LeJardin especially on PWA MAS).

Two completely different experiences, both colored, you can't really compare them as they compliment each other rather than compete.

Both are magical. AP is more univeral and tuned for wider public tastes and is fun whereas LJ is more refined and special, with incredible depth and macrodynamics.

I published AP vs LJ measurements in my previous posts.

LJ has a better cable with superb synergy whereas AP cable warrants an upgrade. But also AP sounds great on other cables whereas LJ loses it's magic.

Edit: the measurement is in my N30LE review here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back