The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 22, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #64,891 of 91,357
Do any of you specifically choose vented IEMs? Does such a system really work? For example RN6 has it.
I do. I really cant get along with sealed IEM shells. The "stuffed ears" feeling as pressure builds in the ear canal can be very unpleasant. Some are more sensitive to this than others. I've had to sell off two IEMs that I otherwise enjoyed (SA6 and Neon Pro) because of this, even after seemingly endless tip rolling, trying a shallow fit, etc. I've ruled out any IEMs with shells that aren't vented from here on out. Lucky for me, I have a proclivity for IEMs with a DD in the driver mix and most (all?) IEMs with a DD are vented.

FiR's Frontier series IEMs are effortless to use for hours on end with the open back design. 64 Audio IEMs that also use the ATOM module system also limit in ear pressure build up.

Sep 22, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #64,892 of 91,357
Howdy folks, my review of Diva 2023 is online on head-fi and my blog

Should you add a Diva 2023 to your collection? To answer this question, you need to ask yourself what you think when you hear the term “soundstage.” If you are in the camp “IEM’s soundstage is a meme” or “who care! IEM never sounds like speakers anyway”, then go ahead. To me, Diva 2023 is the quintessential “great IEM” with natural and versatile tonality, great bass response, and great detail retrieval without any harshness of shrill. If you don’t mind the large shells and the potential pressure build up of a sealed IEM design, Diva 2023 might be the one for you.

But if you, like me, pay a lot of attention to how the sonic picture of your music is presented within that limited head stage of the IEM form factor, if you want your instruments to have laser focus and razor-sharp boundary, if you want the stage to feel expansive when listening to spacious recording, then Diva 2023 might not cut it, despite all the great qualities.

Absolute Sonic Quality Rating: 4/5 (Tonality: 4, Resolution: 4, Bass: 4, Stage: 3) - Great

Bias Score: 3/5 - I’m lukewarm about this IEM

Sep 22, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #64,893 of 91,357
Well, my weekend listening takes a weird, experimental route ahead of next week's canjam in Socal, my first, during which I hope to learn something.

My primary love has been Xe6 paired with an EA Code 23. Sublime. But unfortunately, the C23 is starting to have some issues; a slight drop in right channel sound level if I move the wrong way, and the problem is getting worse. I contacted EA and will have them repair or replace it, likely at CanJam.

So I switched to my PW FT, but not before testing Ares 8w, which sounded awesome, but not quite the C23. After a couple of days with FT, I was feeling like something was missing based on my memory of C23, making me appreciate it more.

Cut to the chase, I looked at my cables and knowing I wanted copper, decided to switch out FT with what amounts to one of my cheapest cables, a NiceHCK BlackCat, which I've liked with some ChiFi iems I have. It's copper, "oil soaked" at that! Whatever, it turns out to have been a good find and utility player.

But the blasphemy of connecting this now $20 cable to a $4k TOTL seemed ridiculous, but why not try it!? 3 hours in to my solo Friday night and I'm nothing short of blown away. The sound is far closer to C23 than FT was! What!? I don't think it's the Friday night drink talking either, as I scroll thru my test list, this sounds insanely good! Hard, thick bass and glorious separation of instruments, much like C23, though not quite as refined. Strangely, the cable, hardware and ergonomics are a nice match with Xe6😁, better than C23 which will win no ergo tests.

So, the cable debate goes cookoo in my head on this Friday. Happy weekend, all!!
20230922_201739.jpg

Sep 23, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #64,894 of 91,357
I do. I really cant get along with sealed IEM shells. The "stuffed ears" feeling as pressure builds in the ear canal can be very unpleasant. Some are more sensitive to this than others. I've had to sell off two IEMs that I otherwise enjoyed (SA6 and Neon Pro) because of this, even after seemingly endless tip rolling, trying a shallow fit, etc. I've ruled out any IEMs with shells that aren't vented from here on out. Lucky for me, I have a proclivity for IEMs with a DD in the driver mix and most (all?) IEMs with a DD are vented.

FiR's Frontier series IEMs are effortless to use for hours on end with the open back design. 64 Audio IEMs that also use the ATOM module system also limit in ear pressure build up.

Low key, another reason I resonate with XE6 & the Fir Audio Frontier series. Earbud-like with the spacious soundstage and lack of ear pressure.

In other news Yatono 8W / Venom first impressions:

received_878358313631124.jpeg

Aesthetics & Ergo:
  • Love the way this cable looks. The black accents compliment XE6 well. The cable weaving is dense (but robust and HQ feeling)
  • Screenshot_20230918-190552_Chrome.jpg
  • I've seen complaints about the ergo. This is a cable with heft comparable to Orphy and around around half of mini chimera. The earhooks happen to fit my ear shape well while mini Chimera doesn't fully loop down putting pressure on my outer earlobes. Sitting down with the cable resting on a table, the weight hasn't been a problem for me.
General sound quality:
  • This is an excellent sounding copper adding richness to the low end and mids while being technical. More "modern" tuned vs Orpheus but less forward vs Ode to Laura.​
  • What I find different compared to Orphy in general is a more energetic presentation. Less mid bass, more treble extension instead of rolling off. Staging is also less width based, more circular.​
  • I can see this cable being a good all rounder for my preferences. While some pairings with Orphy was magical it had the chance of being too warm (for example XE6)​

Yatono compared to the stock scorpian cable:

received_844847773981447.jpeg

This is a more organic but hifi presentation. Staging is noticibly improved mainly depth. Noticing more bass quantity while having more texture and separation. Micro-dynamics are bumped up, transients are cleaner with more decay. Treble lines "grip" more but isn't as stark as Ode to Laura. Ergonomically with the cable feeling light and curling up nicely. SQ wise, the Yatono is comfortably ahead in terms of technicalities. Tuning synergy is something I'll spend more time with.

Yatono compared to Venom:

received_7177339578965785.jpeg

This is the 2023 Venom which is supposed to be warmer sounding vs the previous version.

2023-04-15_22.16.574607294490802961870.jpg

2023-04-15_22.16.585264199410579697259-1.jpg

Left OG, Right new version pictures courtesy of @KKNAYANA
  • Venom is more relaxed / less dynamic / softer sounding. Slightly less bassy than Yatono. Yatono has tighter more bass texture. I like how the sub is more pronounced on Yatono.​
  • Mids are further back / flatter on Venom. Yatono is more up front and romantic.
  • Venoms treble is smoother with less refined vs Yatono. The separation is a step down from Yatono.
  • Yatono has this effortless magic to it similar to Orphy: Notes pop on and off in a black background with definition and hardness. The gaps in that space however seems wider on mini chimera.
Overall, Yatono is a step up with technicalities (notably dynamics, separation and staging) but Venom holds its own well despite being 3x cheaper (used). Zooming out, the SQ boost is there but not as significant as adding Mass Kobo 475 to the chain.

Ergo: Stock XE6 Scorpian > Yatono 8W >= Orphy >> Mini Chimera

SQ: Technicalities (not tuning): Orpheus > Yatono 8W = Mini Chimera > Venom 2023 (15% less) > Scorpian.

Attachments

• 2023-04-15_22.16.585264199410579697259-1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #64,895 of 91,357
SQ: Technicalities (not tuning): Orpheus > Yatono 8W = Mini Chimera > Venom 2023 (15% less) > Scorpian.
Thanks for the detailed comparison. Where would put the PWAudio 1950s, if you have tried it?

Sep 23, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #64,897 of 91,357
Do any of you specifically choose vented IEMs? Does such a system really work? For example RN6 has it.
yeah, vented IEMs are the way to go for sure, anything that isn't always gets fatiguing for me after 90 minutes or so.

This is one major reason each of my CIEMs are FiR and 64Audio respectively. If I'm going to have them for the long-haul, I want to know that I can use them for many hours at a session with zero fatigue.

And one reason I've kept my U6t around is because of the ATOM venting. I've used them with the M20 module for 16 hours straight on flights from Sydney<->LA, ears feel great at the end of the trip. That's not my only use case for that IEM, but when I use it that way I'm really glad I have it.

Sep 23, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #64,898 of 91,357
Low key, another reason I resonate with XE6 & the Fir Audio Frontier series. Earbud-like with the spacious soundstage and lack of ear pressure.

In other news Yatono 8W / Venom first impressions:

received_878358313631124.jpeg

Aesthetics & Ergo:
  • Love the way this cable looks. The black accents compliment XE6 well. The cable weaving is dense (but robust and HQ feeling)
  • Screenshot_20230918-190552_Chrome.jpg
  • I've seen complaints about the ergo. This is a cable with heft comparable to Orphy and around around half of mini chimera. The earhooks happen to fit my ear shape well while mini Chimera doesn't fully loop down putting pressure on my outer earlobes. Sitting down with the cable resting on a table, the weight hasn't been a problem for me.
General sound quality:
  • This is an excellent sounding copper adding richness to the low end and mids while being technical. More "modern" tuned vs Orpheus but less forward vs Ode to Laura.​
  • What I find different compared to Orphy in general is a more energetic presentation. Less mid bass, more treble extension instead of rolling off. Staging is also less width based, more circular.​
  • I can see this cable being a good all rounder for my preferences. While some pairings with Orphy was magical it had the chance of being too warm (for example XE6)​

Yatono compared to the stock scorpian cable:

received_844847773981447.jpeg

This is a more organic but hifi presentation. Staging is noticibly improved mainly depth. Noticing more bass quantity while having more texture and separation. Micro-dynamics are bumped up, transients are cleaner with more decay. Treble lines "grip" more but isn't as stark as Ode to Laura. Ergonomically with the cable feeling light and curling up nicely. SQ wise, the Yatono is comfortably ahead in terms of technicalities. Tuning synergy is something I'll spend more time with.

Yatono compared to Venom:

received_7177339578965785.jpeg

This is the 2023 Venom which is supposed to be warmer sounding vs the previous version.

2023-04-15_22.16.574607294490802961870.jpg
Left OG, Right new version pictures courtesy of @KKNAYANA
  • Venom is more relaxed / less dynamic / softer sounding. Slightly less bassy than Yatono. Yatono has tighter more bass texture. I like how the sub is more pronounced on Yatono.​
  • Mids are further back / flatter on Venom. Yatono is more up front and romantic.
  • Venoms treble is smoother with less refined vs Yatono. The separation is a step down from Yatono.
  • Yatono has this effortless magic to it similar to Orphy: Notes pop on and off in a black background with definition and hardness. The gaps in that space however seems wider on mini chimera.
Overall, Yatono is a step up with technicalities (notably dynamics, separation and staging) but Venom holds its own well despite being 3x cheaper (used). Zooming out, the SQ boost is there but not as significant as adding Mass Kobo 475 to the chain.

Ergo: Stock XE6 Scorpian > Yatono 8W >= Orphy >> Mini Chimera

I'm interested with the Brise silver concept to replace my Chiron, but the versatility of the Con-X and the waiting time for the Brise cable make me hesitate 😂

Sep 23, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #64,899 of 91,357
But the blasphemy of connecting this now $20 cable to a $4k TOTL seemed ridiculous, but why not try it!?
Nuffin wrong wit a cheap-arse cable on the Xe6.
Burple_Xe6.jpg

This is the "XINHS 8 strands silver foil wire headset upgrade cable" in a fetching purple colour. :blush: Think it was about 30 bucks on Aliexpress.

No idea how much actual silver is in that cable, but it does thin out the Xe6 a little, enough that I can enjoy the extra bit of sub-bass and 2db of isolation from the gold module when I'm out commuting.

I much prefer the fuller, warmer Eros S most of the time, but having this alternative is a fun way to mix things up.

Sep 23, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #64,900 of 91,357
I've managed to headover to my local retailer and tried the new Fei Wan from Aroma Audio. Did a A/B test with the Jewel. Here are my 2 cents! Not a pro in this so I'll try my best to explain what I heard.

20230923_162445.jpg

I went in blind without reading up the specs and was pleasantly surprised! The vocals was so much more engaging, so much more forward and full of life. It felt like a more musical version of the Jewel. Staging wise not as big as jewel but still good nonetheless. I was listening to cantonese pop music and went between deeper male vocals and the higher pitch thinner female vocals. Both sounded really good, but i would say female vocals are better. Not too sure if a longer listening session will make it too fatiguing. I think it would be fun to compare it against the Annihilator (from my memory the Annihilator sould be fuller sounding in the mid frequencies)

Then I swapped out the stock cable to my Chiron, ah ha! Now we are grooving!
20230923_163315.jpg

Immediately I could hear more note definition, especially the drums. Drums sounded so much more visceral and punchier. The vocalists voice had more grit and when he is belting out the higher notes, my face involuntarily scrunched up. I have no idea why that happened to me, does anyone here do that when you hear something really good? I hope i'm normal haha! Was listening to some of Beyond's rock songs and started grooving to the instrumental breaks (I hope no one is judging me in the shop)

I would choose the Fei Wan over Jewel mainly based on the type of songs i listen to. Anyone tried the Fei Wan?

Also my friend told me to try the Sharona and Sheena too. Tried it and it is really not my cup of tea.

Sep 23, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #64,901 of 91,357
Well, my weekend listening takes a weird, experimental route ahead of next week's canjam in Socal, my first, during which I hope to learn something.

My primary love has been Xe6 paired with an EA Code 23. Sublime. But unfortunately, the C23 is starting to have some issues; a slight drop in right channel sound level if I move the wrong way, and the problem is getting worse. I contacted EA and will have them repair or replace it, likely at CanJam.

So I switched to my PW FT, but not before testing Ares 8w, which sounded awesome, but not quite the C23. After a couple of days with FT, I was feeling like something was missing based on my memory of C23, making me appreciate it more.

Cut to the chase, I looked at my cables and knowing I wanted copper, decided to switch out FT with what amounts to one of my cheapest cables, a NiceHCK BlackCat, which I've liked with some ChiFi iems I have. It's copper, "oil soaked" at that! Whatever, it turns out to have been a good find and utility player.

But the blasphemy of connecting this now $20 cable to a $4k TOTL seemed ridiculous, but why not try it!? 3 hours in to my solo Friday night and I'm nothing short of blown away. The sound is far closer to C23 than FT was! What!? I don't think it's the Friday night drink talking either, as I scroll thru my test list, this sounds insanely good! Hard, thick bass and glorious separation of instruments, much like C23, though not quite as refined. Strangely, the cable, hardware and ergonomics are a nice match with Xe6😁, better than C23 which will win no ergo tests.

So, the cable debate goes cookoo in my head on this Friday. Happy weekend, all!!
20230922_201739.jpg
Is this the Black Cat? If so the cost is so cheap it’s worth an easy blind buy.

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005004728589178.html

Sep 23, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #64,903 of 91,357

20230922_201739.jpg
Thanks for the cable info. I immediately visited their Ali Express store and bought two of them for $16 each in 2 pin and mmcx as well as a silver cable..

Sep 23, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #64,904 of 91,357
Sep 23, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #64,905 of 91,357
Amber Pearl in the house. Had to waste 2h yesterday in customs to get this before the weekend because of DHL shenanigans. Who’s interested in measurements?
IMG_4342.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back