The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 23, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #64,906 of 91,343
Amber Pearl in the house. Had to waste 2h yesterday in customs to get this before the weekend because of DHL shenanigans. Who’s interested in measurements?
IMG_4342.jpeg

HBB posted his graph last week:

1695478304385.png

Sep 23, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #64,907 of 91,343
Anyone else here using Pentaconn Coreir ear tips? I bought a set and they really helped out my fitment issues and improved the sound of my Night Jar Singularity IEMs.
These ain't cheap at $49.99 from MTM.

I am very much a 'find something you love & stick with it' type. I only use these. They're 20 USD a pair in Asia. I have 5 IEMs I use regularly & there is absolutely nothing that beats Coreir for comfort & sound.

So, do I want to spent $100 to get the best possible sound & all day comfort that doesn't fall out (best get your size right) on my main five pairs? Damn ****ing right I do.

You are getting the true sound of that IEM all but ddirectly to your ear canal with nothing in the way. I do not want to experiment what cheap bits of foam & rubber will do to the sound of the audio gear I've spent thousands on. Id rather be listening to music (which is of course the real hobby - although a lot of people seem to forget that).

Sep 23, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #64,908 of 91,343
Guy,
Is Trifecta also source dependent, as in liking its more powerful DAPS. How does it sound with the new Cayin DAP?
Only looking to buy one IEM and one DAP by years end. I am a bit of a basehead. Bass and midrange are almost all I can hear.
If you are going with one TOTL DAP and one TOTL IEM get the Cayin N30LE tuned and paired with the Pearl IEM’s. Should be all you need if you want a one and done set up.

Sep 23, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #64,909 of 91,343
Sep 23, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #64,910 of 91,343
I've managed to headover to my local retailer and tried the new Fei Wan from Aroma Audio. Did a A/B test with the Jewel. Here are my 2 cents! Not a pro in this so I'll try my best to explain what I heard.

20230923_162445.jpg
I went in blind without reading up the specs and was pleasantly surprised! The vocals was so much more engaging, so much more forward and full of life. It felt like a more musical version of the Jewel. Staging wise not as big as jewel but still good nonetheless. I was listening to cantonese pop music and went between deeper male vocals and the higher pitch thinner female vocals. Both sounded really good, but i would say female vocals are better. Not too sure if a longer listening session will make it too fatiguing. I think it would be fun to compare it against the Annihilator (from my memory the Annihilator sould be fuller sounding in the mid frequencies)

Then I swapped out the stock cable to my Chiron, ah ha! Now we are grooving!
20230923_163315.jpg
Immediately I could hear more note definition, especially the drums. Drums sounded so much more visceral and punchier. The vocalists voice had more grit and when he is belting out the higher notes, my face involuntarily scrunched up. I have no idea why that happened to me, does anyone here do that when you hear something really good? I hope i'm normal haha! Was listening to some of Beyond's rock songs and started grooving to the instrumental breaks (I hope no one is judging me in the shop)

I would choose the Fei Wan over Jewel mainly based on the type of songs i listen to. Anyone tried the Fei Wan?

Also my friend told me to try the Sharona and Sheena too. Tried it and it is really not my cup of tea.
Thanks for sharing your impressions, I’d receive FEI WAN on Monday, unfortunately I don’t have Jewel and Ace with me anymore but I still have Thunder.

IMG_3881.jpeg

Sep 23, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #64,911 of 91,343
Life getting in the way of the hobby for me lately - in part where my children are hitting ages (15 and almost 19) that they become less dependent - it never occured to me how this might be a difficult transition, they are the 'same' people, but different I guess as they get older - I miss them being children and the various phases they went through, its a strange evolution and something I've been struggling a bit with tbh! Aside from that, work has been pretty crazy, and I just finished my Masters in Business and Leadership but don't graduate until next year. With all of that in mind, I've had less time for audio but very much appreciating what I own already. Hope all of the cooler folks doing well!

A long overdue review just published for the Cayin N7 - I've had this since around March and many hours now clocked up... review HERE

And of course I can't publish a post here without a picture, so here is one I took of the Cayin infamous 'golden knob' earlier :)

IMG_7622.jpg

Sep 23, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #64,912 of 91,343
I am very much a 'find something you love & stick with it' type. I only use these. They're 20 USD a pair in Asia. I have 5 IEMs I use regularly & there is absolutely nothing that beats Coreir for comfort & sound.

Yeah, there’s a massive upcharge for Coreir here in the US. I paid $20 USD a set and sent it to my GFs place.

$50 a pair+ charging shipping is just straight up grift lol. Then again I can say that about quite a bit of audio gear.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #64,913 of 91,343
Is this the Black Cat? If so the cost is so cheap it’s worth an easy blind buy.

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005004728589178.html
Yes, that's the BlackCat, a zinc, copper oil soaked cable. As pointed out by others, I accidentally used the pic with the BlackSoul cable (which I also tested, but didn't love with Xe6) it looks so perfect with it.
I think the cable in the photo is the the black soul
Yes, my mistake. Here is the BlackCat. This thing is crazy good with Xe6🤣
20230923_152458.jpg

So, do I want to spent $100 to get the best possible sound & all day comfort that doesn't fall out (best get your size right) on my main five pairs? Damn ****ing right I do.

You are getting the true sound of that IEM all but ddirectly to your ear canal with nothing in the way. I do not want to experiment what cheap bits of foam & rubber will do to the sound of the audio gear I've spent thousands on. Id rather be listening to music (which is of course the real hobby - although a lot of people seem to forget that).
Which other iems have you found success with those tips?

Sep 23, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #64,914 of 91,343
Life getting in the way of the hobby for me lately - in part where my children are hitting ages (15 and almost 19) that they become less dependent - it never occured to me how this might be a difficult transition, they are the 'same' people, but different I guess as they get older - I miss them being children and the various phases they went through, its a strange evolution and something I've been struggling a bit with tbh! Aside from that, work has been pretty crazy, and I just finished my Masters in Business and Leadership but don't graduate until next year. With all of that in mind, I've had less time for audio but very much appreciating what I own already. Hope all of the cooler folks doing well!

A long overdue review just published for the Cayin N7 - I've had this since around March and many hours now clocked up... review HERE

And of course I can't publish a post here without a picture, so here is one I took of the Cayin infamous 'golden knob' earlier :)

IMG_7622.jpg
The kids not being kids anymore is such a bittersweet time of life for us parents. I'm in that same period and totally feel you on this! You're proud of the individuals they are becoming, and you're sad that those sweet children are now mostly in your memories and photos. As my Playlist was cycling last night, "Cats In The Cradle" by Harry Chapin came on, and it made me think about how this goes generation after generation.

And my dad, may he rest in peace, would have gone wild if he'd have gotten to listen to that N7!

Sep 23, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #64,915 of 91,343

IMG_7622.jpg
The kids not being kids anymore is such a bittersweet time of life for us parents. I'm in that same period and totally feel you on this! You're proud of the individuals they are becoming, and you're sad that those sweet children are now mostly in your memories and photos. As my Playlist was cycling last night, "Cats In The Cradle" by Harry Chapin came on, and it made me think about how this goes generation after generation.

And my dad, may he rest in peace, would have gone wild if he'd have gotten to listen to that N7!
Indeed a period of transitions once my son turned 13. He is now 15 and much has changed in terms of him becoming an adult. He picked up a girlfriend along the way and has become so mobile now using transport apps. Certainly bittersweet time for my wife and I but we savoured many treasured moments the years he spent growing up and am blessed to have had the opportunity to bring up a child (even if it was only one!).

Sep 23, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #64,916 of 91,343
Indeed a period of transitions once my son turned 13. He is now 15 and much has changed in terms of him becoming an adult. He picked up a girlfriend along the way and has become so mobile now using transport apps. Certainly bittersweet time for my wife and I but we savoured many treasured moments the years he spent growing up and am blessed to have had the opportunity to bring up a child (even if it was only one!).
Well put @yaps66! I am a bit further down the road. Mine turns 24 end of the year. Graduated from college. Now has a job in a different country. But my Mrs and I are grateful that we had treasured moments with him through the growing up years. I even managed to sneak in a UM Mest 2 to him during his last trip back to Singapore. And a big shout out to @Eric Chong for getting a cable across for his use too. Eric is another one who feels bittersweet about my boy being all grown up since he has known him since he was a serious little boy with a penchant for bass heavy IEMs. :beyersmile:

Sep 23, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #64,917 of 91,343
While people are talking about new toys...

Just got this old news (but still great "news") to demo. So I decided to also take my "old" lady Layla's out.

This tiny cute thing is nothing to ignore if you favour the sound and don't mind the "dongly" thing.

It sounds quite detailed and technical for size and compared to other dongles I had. Trying face to face with ifi GoBlu (wired), it sounds noticeable more technical and detailed. Still keeping a smooth presentation, not thinny like BTR5.

IMG_0006.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #64,918 of 91,343
Similar boat with me. A few days ago we celebrated my son's 18th and I am still grappling with how things change with time, in my own mindset, especially at this stage of his life. As part of the celebration, we watched a video of the day that he was brought home from the hospital and looking back, i would have never imagined he would become the person he is today (in a good way !). It is a joy to watch them grow and see how they develop, and there is plenty more to come !

Well put @yaps66! I am a bit further down the road. Mine turns 24 end of the year. Graduated from college. Now has a job in a different country. But my Mrs and I are grateful that we had treasured moments with him through the growing up years. I even managed to sneak in a UM Mest 2 to him during his last trip back to Singapore. And a big shout out to @Eric Chong for getting a cable across for his use too. Eric is another one who feels bittersweet about my boy being all grown up since he has known him since he was a serious little boy with a penchant for bass heavy IEMs. :beyersmile:
These stories of generations enjoying the hobby warm my heart ! My son never listens to RU7/LoakTC that I got for him. He prefers listening to his $25 tws - he says he doesn't want to be spoiled by high fidelity...and his tws makes him work to listen to the essence of the music...different strokes I guess.

Sep 24, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #64,919 of 91,343
Hi all. I come here with a request. Recently, I got the chance to listen to my iems with the Aroma A100TB amp, and I was simply mind-blown. I am now looking for a portable amp to include in my chain. My primary DAP will be Tempotec V6 with Shanling M7 coming out occasionally. A100TB is a bit bulky for me so I was looking into other fully balanced options with a smaller size:

HUM MA1B
Romi Audio LessFOx BX2+
(I know it is bigger, but somehow I am liking the size)

Any other options are there? Is BX2+ a good option compared to A100TB and A&K PA10?

Sep 24, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #64,920 of 91,343
Hi all. I come here with a request. Recently, I got the chance to listen to my iems with the Aroma A100TB amp, and I was simply mind-blown. I am now looking for a portable amp to include in my chain. My primary DAP will be Tempotec V6 with Shanling M7 coming out occasionally. A100TB is a bit bulky for me so I was looking into other fully balanced options with a smaller size:

HUM MA1B
Romi Audio LessFOx BX2+
(I know it is bigger, but somehow I am liking the size)

Any other options are there? Is BX2+ a good option compared to A100TB and A&K PA10?
I have both the Aroma Audio A100 and the BX2 plus and I like the sound of BX2 plus amp more but the Aroma Audio A100 is great if you like to change the sound with different opamps. Both are great amps, they just portray the sound a bit different. The BX2 is neutral and the Aroma has a bit more warmth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back