The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 28, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #59,341 of 87,770
Pulled the trigger on the Ifi GO Pods.

Let's GO! :)

Screenshot_20230527_231643_Shop.jpg

May 28, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #59,342 of 87,770
maybe it already has been discussed here somewhere, so my apologies if i’m being repetitive…

my question is about the selection of the right resolution purchasing music.

let’s say i’d like to buy michael jackson’s thriller album, and assume i will do my purchase on qobuz. the site gives me different resolutions to choose from :

24/192
24/96
16/44.1

naturally, i’d like the best possible sound and my hand goes to 24/192. however, if the master is at a lower resolution, wouldn’t upsampling the master also create other issues such as adding fake and sometimes annoying depth (i hear this on some 192 upsampled old jazz recordings), too wide L/R seperation to the point where the track is torn apart, and adding noise/jitter to inaudible FR dirtying the track ?

how do you guys know what to choose ?

i read some old articles that claimed 192 is just a hype to cash a bit more from the “audiophile”, and it introduces more issues than quality…

having heard some destroyed tracks myself that claim to have 192 resolution, makes me think each time to reconsider if that’s the best choice really.

now at the crossroads again, i wanted ask here maybe you guys have the answer

May 28, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #59,343 of 87,770
This is going to be my first Ibasso / Max. The size of the player is something I should be okay with since I do most of my listening during extended sit down sessions. For example, I didn't mind the Fiio M17 being more of a transportable.

In regards to UI, I meant the user experience in general. So far, SP3K had the most refined software : hardware
implementation I've come across. Snappy, no hiccups and works when I need it to. It feels like a finished product.

I've heard reports about 320 Max' screen not being as responsive. Also curious if the step attenuator would cause the volume to be either too quiet or loud. This could potentially be a deal breaker for me.

my ibasso dx320
The LCD of the device became like this by itself. Without the slightest damage.

The shadow of the writing remains on the LCD
More colored continuous lines from the top to the bottom of the LCD.

Attachments

• C0689167-96DF-4093-9425-2F539B115EB4.jpeg
    C0689167-96DF-4093-9425-2F539B115EB4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 0F3E6382-AD79-400B-92A8-21FEE7820F07.jpeg
    0F3E6382-AD79-400B-92A8-21FEE7820F07.jpeg
    472.9 KB · Views: 0
May 28, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #59,344 of 87,770
maybe it already has been discussed here somewhere, so my apologies if i’m being repetitive…

let’s say i’d like to buy michael jackson’s thriller album, and assume i will do my purchase on qobuz. the site gives me different resolutions to choose from :

24/192
24/96
16/44.1

naturally, i’d like the best possible sound and my hand goes to 24/192. however, if the master is at a lower resolution, wouldn’t upsampling the master also create other issues such as adding fake and sometimes annoying depth (i hear this on some 192 upsampled old jazz recordings), too wide L/R seperation to the point where the track is torn apart, and adding noise/jitter to inaudible FR dirtying the track ?

i read some old articles that claimed 192 is just a hype to cash a bit more from the “audiophile”, and it introduces more issues than quality…

having heard some destroyed tracks myself that claim to have 192 resolution, makes me think each time to reconsider if that’s the best choice really.

Ideally you want to know what the original master was recorded on and who is doing the remastering.
Reputable publication like mobile fidelity or publication of such nature all can be trusted to have remasted done correctly.

For older records, it might be worthwhile to see what the masses recommend on which release of your favorite album is said to be the best sonically produced and try to source that.
Don't pay too much attention to file format.

May 28, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #59,345 of 87,770

24/192
24/96
16/44.1

Well since this album was recorded on analog gear, there could be almost endless "resolution" extracted from it. I would personally go for 24/96, which is a good realistic middle ground also for modern recordings. I think Qobuz doesn't sell upscaled stuff (if the artist or label does, though, they would too)

May 28, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #59,347 of 87,770
Pulled the trigger on the Ifi GO Pods.

Let's GO! :)

Screenshot_20230527_231643_Shop.jpg

Are they finally selling it by itself? Directly or through the retailer? I got a pair from iFi and it is seriously good, but I was under the impression they only selling it bundled with a few selected iems?

May 28, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #59,350 of 87,770
This is going to be my first Ibasso / Max. The size of the player is something I should be okay with since I do most of my listening during extended sit down sessions. For example, I didn't mind the Fiio M17 being more of a transportable.

In regards to UI, I meant the user experience in general. So far, SP3K had the most refined software : hardware implementation I've come across. Snappy, no hiccups and works when I need it to. It feels like a finished product.

I've heard reports about 320 Max' screen not being as responsive. Also curious if the step attenuator would cause the volume to be either too quiet or loud. This could potentially be a deal breaker for me.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the step attenuator on 320max so far. Having to use the gain knob and the volume knob to adjust the volume to a preferred level is far from ideal, and you can't really ever fine tune the volume. It is a bigger problem if you use multiple iems that require different volume levels. On top of that, my volume knob is now free wheeling and not adjusting volume unless I push it in and turn the knob at the same time to actually turn the attenuator to make it click through the volume adjustments. And I really baby my equipment. :rolling_eyes: Guess I'll have to send it in for repair.

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #59,351 of 87,770
It pairs very well with the Rn6 - I like it more than the SP3k, but I wasn't a huge fan of that one. N8ii is probably one of the best DAPs still to this day. I'm only selling mine because it's overkill for what I have nowadays since I got out of the TOTL IEMs.
Why did you get out if I may ask? In your top list are only totl iems. Diminishing returns and you are now content with reasonably priced earphones? Self protection? 😅

*Top 20. at least

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #59,353 of 87,770
The volume can be a bit of a headache. For my trifecta at gain 2 I have to put volume at 9 o'clock ish but if I turn it down to 8, too low but at 9 it's borderline too loud. Settled for 9 but throwing that out there.

May 28, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #59,354 of 87,770
Are they finally selling it by itself? Directly or through the retailer? I got a pair from iFi and it is seriously good, but I was under the impression they only selling it bundled with a few selected iems?
They have the standalones on pre-order now at Bloom and Headamp. Some have already recieved theirs from Bloom, but they are expected to ship in June.

Thanks for sharing your initial thoughts. Many have said the same and I'm pretty psyched to give them a GO! :)

May 28, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #59,355 of 87,770
Hmmm. Bright + bright = super bright? I haven’t heard the Rn6 but I think I read that the treble is quite elevated. N8ii certainly is bright sounding, too much for my taste and the main reason I sold it.
The n8ii with the Rn6 red module is really good. I wouldn't say that either are bright. I found the sp3k to be bright. The rn6 and n8ii are both warm to my ears. Ymmv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back