The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 10, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #58,456 of 87,730
Better shots of Elysian Diva: Obsidian Black. The faceplates remind me of holographic trading cards.

Screenshot_20230510-203358_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20230510-180930_Leica FOTOS.jpg

May 11, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #58,457 of 87,730
Sorry for the slow reply man! Here you go :)

Rank 100523.jpg

Thanks for sharing your ranking list.
I'm now very keen to try GM.
At the moment, Mentor is in my radar - but if GM can match or even exceeds Mentor performance, it would be a no brainer to buy one esp consider it's much cheaper.

It's a shame that FatF decided not to include the module that otherwise you'll get if you buy directly from them - and even charge more exp for upgrades if it's purchase from MT.
I personally prefer to deal with MT - Andrew always look after his customers.

Hi guys,

I am working on this with FF and will have an update for you all sometime mid-week in the next few days.

Thanks for your patience.

Hopefully FatF realises how much damage they do to their own distributor and do what's right.
Looking forward for the news.

May 11, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #58,458 of 87,730
Better shots of Elysian Diva: Obsidian Black. The faceplates remind me of holographic trading cards.

Screenshot_20230510-203358_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20230510-180930_Leica FOTOS.jpg
Very nice! Looks nice in person than in pictures I bet!

May 11, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #58,459 of 87,730
Ja, I agree re: class in their own ways and M9+ sounds up my alley. For treble, N7 covers that gap for now. I’ve been vacillating between 320MAX and SP3K Cu for “reference” but will more likely pull the trigger on the next MAX.

Always appreciate your impressions mon ami!
I've got the sp3k cu showing up sometime next week probably if it launches the 15th as expected in US. I'll let you know my impressions vs SS and 320max. I'm a monster and pulled the plug on an OtL too for my indigo. Review will be incoming for OtL as well and will post the link up when done! Courtesy of musicteck :beyersmile:

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #58,460 of 87,730
On the topic of surveys I'd love to see everyone's "top 10" as of this moment. If you had to fill a Van Nuys case with 10 IEMs and a dap and walk from this hobby right now, what would you pick?

If I would take 10 iems and leave the hobby, I think I would group them based on my use cases:

"Normal" tuning:
1. Aroma Jewel
2. UM Red Halo
3. UM Mentor

"Fun" tuning:
4. EE Odyssey
5. Elysian X
6. FiR XE6
7. FatF Maestro SE

"Beater all-rounder" for commuting:
8. UM Indigo
9. 64A u12t
10. Sony IER-Z1r

DAP: This would be difficult. It's either Shanling M9+ or Chord Hugo2

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #58,461 of 87,730
IMG_0949.jpeg
IMG_0950.jpeg

......aaaaaaand here we go again! Last time it was at least around 3 months before this happened. This one is a brand new one I purchased on 2nd May - 9 days ago. I always cleaned it with a microfibre cloth after use and stored it together with my Chiron x Code51 Besoke inside a Pelican G40 case with 8 dehumidifiers inside. I just checked my Bespoke and nothing happened to that cable (which I had for around a month).

Guess I am just not compatible with the Centurion, huh. I am guessing maybe some sweat went inside through the outer PVC...but then again nothing happened to my Bespoke.

Ah well, time to email EA for a replacement (or can @EffectAudio build me one with Chiron's matte black coating? I did buy TWO Centurions afterall :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) again, then probably straight to classfields. This should be my final tenure with the Centurion - which is a shame because I loved its synergy with the Annihilator. I guess have to head for the Yatono 8w, afterall.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think with a PWAudio cable you wouldn't have a problem like this.
Hope you can get a replacement

May 11, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #58,462 of 87,730
DAP: L&P P6Pro

IEMs:
UM Indigo
CA Fibae 5
Softears Tremolo
CA Dorado 2020
SONY IER-Z1R
Penon Serial
MMR Balmung
TGXear Serratus
Audeze LCDi4
7hz Timeless

May 11, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #58,463 of 87,730
On the topic of surveys I'd love to see everyone's "top 10" as of this moment. If you had to fill a Van Nuys case with 10 IEMs and a dap and walk from this hobby right now, what would you pick?

I'd do something similar to @lycos and have IEMs for different use cases. I'd choose:

TOTL:
  • Grand Maestro - U-shape
  • Storm - Reference
  • Mentor - Warm mids
  • RN6 - W-shape
  • Annihilator - U-shape
EDC:
  • IER-Z1R - U-shape
  • IE900 - W-shape
  • U12t - All-rounder
  • Diva - All-rounder
  • MSE - bass leaning U-shape

DAP: I'd probably have to choose SP3K but supplement it with a dongle so I can listen to Soundcloud from my iPhone.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #58,464 of 87,730
Just started listening with Grand Maestro, the sound is unbelievably good. It has excellent tonal balance and the next tier of technical chops for a DAP compared to stuff that is “more pocketable”, so in this case I’m referring to stuff like N8ii, SP3000, M9+, RS8, etc.

It’s a very natural and effortless sound that manages to sound incredibly engaging and full at the same time. Easily the most refined Max variant for me. The bass, mids, and treble quality and tone are just exceptional.

My main gripes are that the design does feel a little aged for me having owned the entire Max lineup since they were created, I kinda wish they did something with the huge bezels on the screen. I’m also have some random screen sensitivity hiccups, maybe it’s the screen protector? Also the volume control isn’t the best, I can imagine some more sensitive IEMs having issues finding a good sweet spot for volume where perhaps one click might be too quiet and one too loud.

So far so good. The Max DAPs are always excellent performers but this one is exceeding my expectations.
I’m sure it sounds great but not shrinking those bezels is a huge fail imho. I’ll wait for the 400 MAX..

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #58,465 of 87,730
I don't have a list of 10 IEMs per se, but I have been enjoying the EXT quite a bit lately! Not as warm as Indigo, but the EST "etheralness" plus complete double DD timbre and a detailed tuning give these a very special charakter :) not a universal fit for all recordings I would say, at least not at high volumes, where highs can be a bit piercing on some tracks. But they very dynamic and detailed even at low volume, where the treble sounds very well defined and relaxing, overall the sound loses some of its body, but is just nice to listen to.
When the recording fits well, EXT sounds engaging and fun. 😁

*edit* oh and I forgot to say, these fit my ears PERFECTLY. Even better than the SE846. Really remarkable :D

DSC_0239.JPG

By the way, anyone got a tip how to tighten female 2pin connectors? VE wants to charge 40 Euros per connector for that, but if I could do it on my own, I would rather do it myself :D they are just a tad to loose, the cable can fall out of if I am not careful.

Small list to fulfill the survey: (can only list what I have heard)

1. VE EXT
2. Shure SE846 Gen 2
3. IE 600
4. Raptgo Hook-X HBB
5. Olina SE
(6. TGX Carbon)

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #58,466 of 87,730
My top 5 (don't need 10):

1. Storm (analytical)
2. Raven (fun)
3. Viking (treblehead)
4. Traillii (laid back mid-head)
5. Grand Maestro (switch tuner)

DAP - LP6

And I haven't ever owned or even tried any of these items 🤣

May 11, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #58,467 of 87,730
Very nice! Looks nice in person than in pictures I bet!
Thanks. I like the way it changes depending on the way it catches the light.

Yo. Don't do that. I can't unsee this.

Cant unsee the price but I'm sure you cant unhear what you have :wink:

I’m sure it sounds great but not shrinking those bezels is a huge fail imho. I’ll wait for the 400 MAX..

The amp section + sonics does sound appealing so far. Big staging? 👀

For me, I think I can get over the bezels and its use case as a transportable. What I am interested to test out is how sensitive the step attenuator is (too quiet or loud). I like to fiddle around with the volume often as some are mastered differently.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #58,468 of 87,730
The amp section + sonics does sound appealing so far. Big staging? 👀

For me, I think I can get over the bezels and its use case as a transportable. What I am interested to test out is how sensitive the step attenuator is (too quiet or loud). I like to fiddle around with the volume often as some are mastered differently.
Without hearing it myself it's just conjecture, but since 3MAX is already a sonic 'upgrade' over the likes of RS8 when it comes to stage size and raw power, I don't think 320MAX is going to a be a huge jump, probably an incremental increase, along with a tonal change to neutral that makes it more transparent/revealing than 3MAX if you're willing to give up a touch of warmth. 320MAX is definitely the one to get if you're after the last % at this end of the hobby, as it's the most current and updated player on the market.

May 11, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #58,469 of 87,730
Currently owned IEMs:
1. 64Audio U12T - suits everything & not boring to me 😊
2. Thieaudio Monarch Mk2 - for more excitement
3. Cayin YB04 - commuting, out and about
4. Oriolus Isabellae - female vocals, acoustic
5. Campfire Audio Andromeda (?2019) - been idle for a while, must dig out again

Incoming, once latest instalment paid off:
.. FIR Audio Radon 6

DAP - Hiby RS8 (current fav.)

May 11, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #58,470 of 87,730
By the way, anyone got a tip how to tighten female 2pin connectors? VE wants to charge 40 Euros per connector for that, but if I could do it on my own, I would rather do it myself :D they are just a tad to loose, the cable can fall out of if I am not careful.
I've tried various things on a QDC IEM. QDC uses a 0.75mm pin versus the standard 0.78mm, and once a .78mm had been used, it stretched the socket, and using a .75mm pin, it would be too loose. The IEM could fall off the cable, and you could drop/lose the earpiece that way, if outside, and holding it by the cable. Not something you want to experience.

One of the things I tried that improved the connection/grip, was to take a sharp pin, needle, etc., and insert in the side of the socket to squeeze the metal away from the socket walls, and make the center space smaller, so it would grip the CM pin better.
The socket has a slot cut down part of it's length, so if you can insert a pin at the edge of the cutout, and press it out, that will help the socket to grip the CM pin.
Don't press too hard, of course. Do this to 2 of the socket edges if it works.

The need to do this is that the IEM is already not really functional anymore, as the loose socket makes a very bad, or intermittent connection, which typically sucks out the bass(among other things), as one of the symptoms. So try a workaround first, before taking it to a shop to replace the socket.

Another thing to try is another CM cable, and see if it is a case of a .75 CM pin being used in a .78 socket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back