The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 11, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #58,471 of 88,823
I've tried various things on a QDC IEM. QDC uses a 0.75mm pin versus the standard 0.78mm, and once a .78mm had been used, it stretched the socket, and using a .75mm pin, it would be too loose. The IEM could fall off the cable, and you could drop/lose the earpiece that way, if outside, and holding it by the cable. Not something you want to experience.

One of the things I tried that improved the connection/grip, was to take a sharp pin, needle, etc., and insert in the side of the socket to squeeze the metal away from the socket walls, and make the center space smaller, so it would grip the CM pin better.
The socket has a slot cut down part of it's length, so if you can insert a pin at the edge of the cutout, and press it out, that will help the socket to grip the CM pin.
Don't press too hard, of course. Do this to 2 of the socket edges if it works.

The need to do this is that the IEM is already not really functional anymore, as the loose socket makes a very bad, or intermittent connection, which typically sucks out the bass(among other things), as one of the symptoms. So try a workaround first, before taking it to a shop to replace the socket.

Another thing to try is another CM cable, and see if it is a case of a .75 CM pin being used in a .78 socket.
Thanks for that! Well it is the stock cable for this IEM. Maybe I'll just let them repair it this once... Even though 80 bucks seems really steep for that. They said there is no warranty on these sockets since people can cable swap 😅

May 11, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #58,472 of 88,823
Thanks for that! Well it is the stock cable for this IEM. Maybe I'll just let them repair it this once... Even though 80 bucks seems really steep for that. They said there is no warranty on these sockets since people can cable swap 😅
Yeah, it is a difficult decision to take a pin to the socket of an expensive IEM. In my case, even though I am used to DIY, I still had to talk myself, over time, into doing it.
My rationale was that if I screwed up, the situation would not be worse, and it would have to go to the shop anyways, so I had nothing to lose....

May 11, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #58,473 of 88,823
If I would take 10ish IEMs (in no order) and leave the hobby...................

SONY IER-Z1R
Nobel Audio K-10 Encore
Penon Audio Volt
TSMR Land
IMR BC 2023
ISN Audio EST50
Penon Audio Globe
TRN BAX
DUNU VULKAN
Penon Audio SERIAL
ISN Audio H50
ISN Audio H40

DAP SONY WM1Z

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #58,474 of 88,823
I only need one IEM to leave the hobby, and I already own it. If I had to build a collection of 10 right now (and in no particular order):

Z1R
Legend X
Rn6
Xe6
Zeta
IE 900
Fourte
MSE (speculating)
Trifecta (speculating)
XM5 (speculating, otherwise XM4)

DAP would be a bottle spin between RS8, DX300 MAX and WM1Z. Probably one of the Androids to stream and have enough headroom for the hungrier IEMs.

May 11, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #58,475 of 88,823
微信图片_20230511205009.jpg
微信图片_20230511205015.jpg

After a great week in Bali, Indonesia, enjoying the beach and music, I really loved Bali and am now back in Sydney!

May 11, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #58,476 of 88,823
On the topic of surveys I'd love to see everyone's "top 10" as of this moment. If you had to fill a Van Nuys case with 10 IEMs and a dap and walk from this hobby right now, what would you pick?

Picking from what I have tested or own then,

- AüR Audio Neon Pro
- AüR Audio Aure
- Penon Serial
- Penon Volt
- Penon FAN
- ISN EST50
- Sony Z1R
- VE SiE
- Monarch MKII
- Beyerdynamic Xelento G2

Not tested enough DAPs to chose since I'm desktop or dongle user mostly. I loved the Sony DAPs I have tried so maybe that route.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #58,477 of 88,823
I've tried various things on a QDC IEM. QDC uses a 0.75mm pin versus the standard 0.78mm, and once a .78mm had been used, it stretched the socket, and using a .75mm pin, it would be too loose. The IEM could fall off the cable, and you could drop/lose the earpiece that way, if outside, and holding it by the cable. Not something you want to experience.

One of the things I tried that improved the connection/grip, was to take a sharp pin, needle, etc., and insert in the side of the socket to squeeze the metal away from the socket walls, and make the center space smaller, so it would grip the CM pin better.
The socket has a slot cut down part of it's length, so if you can insert a pin at the edge of the cutout, and press it out, that will help the socket to grip the CM pin.
Don't press too hard, of course. Do this to 2 of the socket edges if it works.

The need to do this is that the IEM is already not really functional anymore, as the loose socket makes a very bad, or intermittent connection, which typically sucks out the bass(among other things), as one of the symptoms. So try a workaround first, before taking it to a shop to replace the socket.

Another thing to try is another CM cable, and see if it is a case of a .75 CM pin being used in a .78 socket.

Or you get a QDC to MMCX (or vice versa) adapter here

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGbw0Px

and add a MMCX to 2pin (or vice versa) :)

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #58,479 of 88,823
I’m sure it sounds great but not shrinking those bezels is a huge fail imho. I’ll wait for the 400 MAX..

Indeed, at the end of the day the Max is meant to be a “sound first” player so I can’t fault it too much there. When you push play the last thing you think about is the screen on this DAP, the sound quality is pushes out is that good imo. With that said, the M9+ screen is much nicer to look at and feels far more modern.

:)

May 11, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #58,480 of 88,823
Top 10 (a mix of currently owned, incoming, auditioned, sold off, and a bit of speculation, in some sort of order):

RN6
Ronin
Phoenix LE
Raven
Traillii
Camelot
GM
Z1R
IE900
Eclipse

May 11, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #58,483 of 88,823
Calling all earbud fans: my full review of Serratus and Ripples is now online here. Enjoy!

Great Review and couldn’t agree more.

May 11, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #58,484 of 88,823
Super concerned that someone apparently gained access to my account, locked me out (been getting this strange "use your app to log in" msg when i tried to access the site), and been posting Classifieds with my account the past day.. I've scanned thru my messages and contacted the 2 people who were about to get scammed. Have since added 2FA~

Anyone else encountered this? The interactions are legit looking too...

May 11, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #58,485 of 88,823
On the topic of surveys I'd love to see everyone's "top 10" as of this moment. If you had to fill a Van Nuys case with 10 IEMs and a dap and walk from this hobby right now, what would you pick?

DAP - A&K SP3000

1) Traillii
2) Phonix
3) MAD24
4) Sultan
5) Elysian X
6) Storm
7) LX
8) Trio
9) U12t
10) Kr5

Users who are viewing this thread