The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 11, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #58,486 of 88,777
DAP → SP3000 Cu

Current favorites
① Warbler Prelude
② Elysian Diva
③ Vision Ears Phönix LE
④ Vision Ears Erlkönig
⑤ radius HP-W300
⑥ FiR Audio Radon
⑦ Noble Audio Sultan
⑧ Noble Audio Ronin
⑨ FiR Audio Neon
⑩ Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor

Wish to hear
- Vision Ears X
- Empire Ears Raven
- Elysian Annihilator 2023
- Nightjar Singularity

May 11, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #58,487 of 88,777
Thanks for all the contributions everyone I will tabulate them later!

May 11, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #58,488 of 88,777
Calling all earbud fans: my full review of Serratus and Ripples is now online here. Enjoy!

Excellent review! Your ability to cover so much detail about a transducer while at the same time explaining it in such an understandable way is such a unique talent. So very well done!

May 11, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #58,489 of 88,777
Calling all earbud fans: my full review of Serratus and Ripples is now online here. Enjoy!

Great review, Guy!!! You captured the essence of these really well IMHO owning both Ripples and Serratus. I like the Ripples a bit more than you, but the differences are indeed there.

Fit was my issue with these for the first few weeks. Until I tried the earhooks, from then fit was perfect and I can walk around, eat, talk, etc and the buds stay put. They're totally portable and disappear in the ear - but most importantly, the earhook holds the driver at the best place it can in my ear canal so sound is powerful and consistent and portable.

20230303_113927.jpg

Jim should be justly proud of his creations and accomplishments.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #58,490 of 88,777
Dap: SP3000 SS (Silver)

IEM
1. Noble Ronin
2. Fir RN6
3. Noble Viking Ragnar
4. Oriolus Traillii
5. UM Multiverse Mentor
6. 64 Audio Fourte Blanc
7. Noble Kublai Khan
8. Thieaudio Prestige
9. 64 Audio U18s
10. Nostalgia Tesseract

Interested (not heard yet)
Jomo Alpha Ti
Empire Raven
Subtonic Storm
Tansio Mirai RGB

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #58,491 of 88,777
Someone should rate how cables change sound, in an excel type format. Possibly one that multiple people could edit/add to. Be useful to be able to go down a list and pickup a cable that adds mid bass or reduces a harsh high end, etc. Give people an idea of say 4-5 cables to begin to look at instead of tons of diffuse impressions spread across tons of threads. I would find it immensely useful. In addition to that could be effects on soundstage, imaging, technical aspects, etc. For example a cable is known for increasing sound stage massively it would have a +5 (max rating) or a cable that created a more intimate stage slightly reducing dimensions would be a -1. Just an idea, any reviewers who wanna run with it I think it would be much appreciated. We have lots of people tabulating IEMs but not cables. Synergy is everything, I've experienced those magic pairups from time to time just like everyone else. The same could be done with sources although I think a list of cables would be more useful. Maybe call it the cooler cable list or whatever and we could all contribute to it.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #58,492 of 88,777
Can someone explain why a bite block is needed for ear impressions? How would a closed mouth ear impression affect CIEMs?
It affects the size & shape of the nozzle. Open mouth usually yields to a bigger width hence tighter fit. Closed mouth is more loose fitting and nice to wear for extended period

May 11, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #58,493 of 88,777
It affects the size & shape of the nozzle. Open mouth usually yields to a bigger width hence tighter fit. Closed mouth is more loose fitting and nice to wear for extended period

I'd want as tight of a seal as possible, so for anyone getting impressions do whatever gets you a tighter seal IMO.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #58,494 of 88,777
Someone should rate how cables change sound, in an excel type format. Possibly one that multiple people could edit/add to. Be useful to be able to go down a list and pickup a cable that adds mid bass or reduces a harsh high end, etc. Give people an idea of say 4-5 cables to begin to look at instead of tons of diffuse impressions spread across tons of threads. I would find it immensely useful. In addition to that could be effects on soundstage, imaging, technical aspects, etc. For example a cable is known for increasing sound stage massively it would have a +5 (max rating) or a cable that created a more intimate stage slightly reducing dimensions would be a -1. Just an idea, any reviewers who wanna run with it I think it would be much appreciated. We have lots of people tabulating IEMs but not cables. Synergy is everything, I've experienced those magic pairups from time to time just like everyone else. The same could be done with sources although I think a list of cables would be more useful. Maybe call it the cooler cable list or whatever and we could all contribute to it.
This is not possible because the "cable sound itself" doesn't really exist.

It is a matter of synergies and (good or bad or meh) couples. 😉

For instance :

AAW Aoraki, excellent with my Ringo's, good but nothing special with my late Mentawai's, meh with my Fh9's

Rhapsodio Graphene, excellent with my Ringo's, exceptional with my late Mentawai's, good but nothing special with my Fh9's...

Penon Totem, extraordinaire with my late Aure Elixir's, only good with my Ringo's

EA Ares S 8w, endgame with my Ringo's, not very good with my late Mentawai's....

Code 51 was meh with my Ringo's, the Orpheus (not shielded version) was good but not magical.

Etc. 🫣

And let's talk about the dap.... 👉😔

This is a system, a (electrical, mechanical and sound) chain.

So, sorry, no automatic and simple answer. 😭

May 11, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #58,495 of 88,777
This is not possible because the "cable sound itself" doesn't really exist.

It is a matter of synergies and (good or bad or meh) couples. 😉

For instance :

AAW Aoraki, excellent with my Ringo's, good but nothing special with my late Mentawai's, meh with my Fh9's

Rhapsodio Graphene, excellent with my Ringo's, exceptional with my late Mentawai's, good but nothing special with my Fh9's...

Penon Totem, extraordinaire with my late Aure Elixir's, only good with my Ringo's

EA Ares S 8w, endgame with my Ringo's, not very good with my late Mentawai's....

Code 51 was meh with my Ringo's, the Orpheus (not shielded version) was good but not magical.

Etc. 🫣

And let's talk about the dap.... 👉😔

This is a system, a (electrical, mechanical and sound) chain.

So, sorry, no automatic and simple answer. 😭
Maybe the only way to do it would be with a completely neutrally tuned IEM with a completely neutral source and go from there but then also subject to various ears.

May 11, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #58,496 of 88,777
Or you get a QDC to MMCX (or vice versa) adapter here

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGbw0Px

and add a MMCX to 2pin (or vice versa) :)
The adapter is a good option, to adapt to a regular cable, give more choice to try, etc.
Though for long term use, adding another connector in the signal chain always bothers me, and is something to stay away from if possible.
The only one I felt there was no choice but to use an adapter is the Sony EX1000 with it's one of a kind connector. Can't buy that connector anywhere. And a good quality 3rd party connector is also not available.

May 11, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #58,497 of 88,777
Indeed, at the end of the day the Max is meant to be a “sound first” player so I can’t fault it too much there. When you push play the last thing you think about is the screen on this DAP, the sound quality is pushes out is that good imo. With that said, the M9+ screen is much nicer to look at and feels far more modern.

:)
Have you had any trouble with minor volume adjustments using their new stepped attenuator? Thanks!

May 11, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #58,498 of 88,777
Have you had any trouble with minor volume adjustments using their new stepped attenuator? Thanks!

So every time you adjust the volume you hear almost a quick mute as it’s between steps. It’s not a smooth increase or decrease in volume, it’s “clicks”, at first I found it annoying but honestly I don’t even notice it anymore. I think between the 4 gain settings and the stepped volume you should be okay to fine tweak it to a level you like. I do think this might be more difficult for the extra sensitive IEMs like the Phonix or Andromeda. I don’t have anything that easy to drive though so I’m speculating.

May 11, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #58,499 of 88,777
Great review, Guy!!! You captured the essence of these really well IMHO owning both Ripples and Serratus. I like the Ripples a bit more than you, but the differences are indeed there.

Fit was my issue with these for the first few weeks. Until I tried the earhooks, from then fit was perfect and I can walk around, eat, talk, etc and the buds stay put. They're totally portable and disappear in the ear - but most importantly, the earhook holds the driver at the best place it can in my ear canal so sound is powerful and consistent and portable.

20230303_113927.jpg

Jim should be justly proud of his creations and accomplishments.
Great Idea mate...Those looks a lot like my old Shure earbuds hooks. Would you mind sharing the link as well for future interested people?

May 11, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #58,500 of 88,777
So every time you adjust the volume you hear almost a quick mute as it’s between steps. It’s not a smooth increase or decrease in volume, it’s “clicks”, at first I found it annoying but honestly I don’t even notice it anymore. I think between the 4 gain settings and the stepped volume you should be okay to fine tweak it to a level you like. I do think this might be more difficult for the extra sensitive IEMs like the Phonix or Andromeda. I don’t have anything that easy to drive though so I’m speculating.

Just tried with Radon 6, low gain.. 4 clicks is loud enough for me and 5 is probably a little louder than I normally listen. I’d like 4.5 if possible … lol , so for this situation I’d move up to gain 2 and go to 3 clicks.

With Grand Maestro in lowest gain I need about 11 to 12 clicks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back