The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 26, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #53,762 of 88,391
I would’ve called the U4s a U12t with a DD, had it been better technically, and had the bass been leveled a bit more conservatively. I think it falls short technically of the U12t by quite a bit; dynamics, refinement, resolution, air, imaging, etc. It performed about as well as I’d expect a kilobuck IEM to, personally. And, I think they tried to show off the DD a bit too much. I didn’t try it with other modules, though, so that issue might be fixable. Overall, I think it’s good for its price, but a used U12t still has better value to me, unless you’re really, really, really particular about having a DD bass; like, if your life motto was “no DD, no dice,” or something. :p
I see - I did think the module with the least bass helped me balance it even more, so there’s that.

And of course, comparing brand new to brand new prices. If we were to evaluate in second hand prices then the kilobuck bracket would can already be renamed as the ex-two kilobuck bracket, so on so forth 😂

I am also in my DD phase for the past 2 years - having said that my money just went to BA bass so it says nothing as well. 🤣

Mar 26, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #53,764 of 88,391
Thanks for sharing! I hope you're well.

Thanks man yeah it's too bad. There is always SoCal :)

I don't know much of anything about Japanese music sorry.

Great photos...your "plate of IEMs" picture turned out much better than mine.

Stunning photos of what looks like was a beautiful day.

Impact is awesome glad you're enjoying it :)

Great impressions you both thanks for sharing. It was really nice to connect again after the better part of a year.

IMG_5338.JPG

Highlight for me today was the Fir VxV.

0E5EEF46-1F9F-4214-8FBE-91C4BC30308B.JPEG

An unnassuming little unit. Not too flashy, doesn't hit you over the head with anything...but a very enjoyable listen with decent bass that doesn't do anything really wrong. A great little EDC sort of IEM.
Serious game guys 😎🤘😀👍

Mar 26, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #53,765 of 88,391
Don't remember or maybe didn't ask either... would assume Q3
If this is referring to Raven, I was told May/June.

Mar 26, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #53,766 of 88,391
Overall, I think it’s good for its price, but a used U12t still has better value to me, unless you’re really, really, really particular about having a DD bass; like, if your life motto was “no DD, no dice,” or something. :p
Exactly why I moved on from U12t, even though it was my first IEM love 🙄

Mar 26, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #53,767 of 88,391
Serious game guys 😎🤘😀👍
954D7A0D-8BFA-43E5-87CE-981B78362810.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #53,768 of 88,391
F7FC2D54-A099-4595-B3DE-4B60A2F6538C.jpeg

Keeping away the lovely cooler tag that Jim had kindly given… With excitement of CanJam over, the lingering euphoria of meeting Coolers and reminiscing over the great and wondrous bond we’ve come to forge (@Kiats, @HiFiHawaii808, @yaps66, @Sifo, @klyzon, @SteveK27, @AxLvR, @Deezel177), I almost teared up when the time came to say final goodbyes. I’m sure plenty will give their insights on gear, but that wasn’t the highlight of CanJam for me. @Eric Chong, who graced us with his time despite his crazy busy schedule to have lunch with us… till we meet again 🥹

Mar 26, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #53,769 of 88,391
The IEM of the show is VE Red Prototype. Simply sensational. This IEM can challenge on all fronts if @Vision Ears keeps this particular tuning for the released version.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #53,770 of 88,391
I see - I did think the module with the least bass helped me balance it even more, so there’s that.

And of course, comparing brand new to brand new prices. If we were to evaluate in second hand prices then the kilobuck bracket would can already be renamed as the ex-two kilobuck bracket, so on so forth 😂

I am also in my DD phase for the past 2 years - having said that my money just went to BA bass so it says nothing as well. 🤣

Change in module can affect the sound sig, as you say, balance the tonality one way or the other as you are changing the venting. It can also affect technical performance in terms of a soundstage. But other aspects of the technical performance might remain the same, speaking from my experience of other 64audio iems, though I haven't tried U4S yet.

Mar 26, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #53,771 of 88,391
Noooo, noooo...it goes in your ears!!! (I hope @Deezel177 has a sense of humor, I couldn't resist) :wink:

Dirty humor *alert*

I know Daniel is a good sport with a sense of humor, and mentioned before in this thread about him and his fiance religious beliefs and practicing abstinence, so... please don't judge him :D

Mar 26, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #53,772 of 88,391
There’s no exact timeline yet but best guess is around SoCal time to nail down the final specs including aesthetics.
Sounds like it release a bit earlier!

Per the man himself:
12 Driver Quadbrid
Dual W9+ (with some minor internal tweaks)
Five Balanced Armatures
Four Electrostatics
W10 Bone Conductor

Price: Slightly above Odin
ETA: Late May/June

Mar 26, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #53,773 of 88,391
Dirty humor *alert*

I know Daniel is a good sport with a sense of humor, and mentioned before in this thread about him and his fiance religious beliefs and practicing abstinence, so... please don't judge him :D
My beliefs are in no way an indication of my sense of humor. It is as dark as it gets. 😋

Mar 26, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #53,774 of 88,391
Mar 26, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #53,775 of 88,391
F7FC2D54-A099-4595-B3DE-4B60A2F6538C.jpeg
Keeping away the lovely cooler tag that Jim had kindly given… With excitement of CanJam over, the lingering euphoria of meeting Coolers and reminiscing over the great and wondrous bond we’ve come to forge (@Kiats, @HiFiHawaii808, @yaps66, @Sifo, @klyzon, @SteveK27, @AxLvR, @Deezel177), I almost teared up when the time came to say final goodbyes. I’m sure plenty will give their insights on gear, but that wasn’t the highlight of CanJam for me. @Eric Chong, who graced us with his time despite his crazy busy schedule to have lunch with us… till we meet again 🥹

Love this pic. The joy and fellowship you all felt just radiates through it. So many legends here...the best Watercooler group shot so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back