The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 18, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #53,071 of 89,044
🤣🤣🤣 Laughed at just 1 day ago and now it's like it could even happen for real. LOL.

CanJam.png

It's truly a pity my best ideas come from misunderstandings though - story of my life 🤭

no argument from me on personal findings
🥰

The 18t's remain more comfortable to use and I can imagine a world where an 18t + upgrade cable would be preferred over the Trailli.
Nice to see more love for U18t. Absolutely sharing the feelings on your comparison. Possibly an eye brow raiser is that somewhere on Head-Fi I read a post at the time that U18t+Orpheus sounded better than Traillii+Orpheus. I haven't heard Orpheus but always thought it would build more on the sound of 1950s than First Times. If you can get that confirmed here then your 1950s demo would be more than interesting. 1950s made me scale back from M20 to M15 btw.

Yeah, let's do it in Hawaii.
Deal once you manage to rename the island to HifiHawaii.

I must be a “mid’s” guy because that is what always catches my attention first. Timbre on both Traillii and LE are great to me. Vocals very natural. Mids on LE’s might be a touch more forward and they don’t have the upper mid/ lower treble dip that Traillii does to my ears.
Your write-up earlier on made me put LE in pole position for me for CJ SG.

Technically wouldn't Japan be the most equidistant for everyone, if you factor in Singapore?
Something tells me a vote for Cape Town is coming up next 🤨

drftr

Mar 19, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #53,072 of 89,044
Mar 19, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #53,073 of 89,044
Because both Erlkönig and PHX are IEMs composed of 13 BA units, I will simply call them VE13. I think you must know that Erlkönig has four different tuning mods, among which mode 2 is the most popular. I think the tuning of the PHX (including the all-black PHX limited to Hong Kong) is closer to mode 2. The tuning style of PHX LE is closer to Mode 1 and Mode 3, which correspond to bass and treble enhancement respectively (or a combination of 2 and 3). In fact, I think the difference in the material of the cavity will have an impact on the sound. In fact, my favorite is the silver Erlkönig, not the black limited edition.
The all-black Phönix was premiered at an audio show in Hong Kong but was available at other shows across the world as well. I know because I contacted VE about how to buy one. They told me that I had to attend an audio show like CanJam in person to get it. There were ways to get around this by contacting sellers present at shows but I didn't bother.

I think the LE 2023 is a better deal as its more than just a cosmetic change.

Mar 19, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #53,074 of 89,044
Nice to see more love for U18t. Absolutely sharing the feelings on your comparison. Possibly an eye brow raiser is that somewhere on Head-Fi I read a post at the time that U18t+Orpheus sounded better than Traillii+Orpheus. I haven't heard Orpheus but always thought it would build more on the sound of 1950s than First Times. If you can get that confirmed here then your 1950s demo would be more than interesting. 1950s made me scale back from M20 to M15 btw.
Orpheus will work well with IEMs that present allot of detail. As for U18T Orpheus vs Traillii Orpheus, not even close IMHO. I also prefer the VE Ely to the U18t.

Mar 19, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #53,076 of 89,044
Orpheus will work well with IEMs that present allot of detail. As for U18T Orpheus vs Traillii Orpheus, not even close IMHO. I also prefer the VE Ely to the U18t.
Fair enough, Frankie, but the poster is in love with U18t and I would agree on trying to make it work until you come to a point that it just doesn't make sense any longer.

And the decision might also be influenced by the fact you simply lose 1.5k when selling a U18t, so that's money you can add to the cable budget.

But again, I haven't heard the 2 Orpheus combis so I really can't tell. I did like U18t better than Traillii for the things it's good at though. But it's worse on plenty other points. But then again... it's 50% cheaper as well :wink:

drftr

Mar 19, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #53,079 of 89,044
Mar 19, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #53,080 of 89,044
Mar 19, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #53,081 of 89,044
This IEM has become meme in China because of the ridiculously low price/sound ratio. According to the buyers who owns the IEM, this thing sounds almost the same as the OG Traillii except for the material change of the shell which ask you for another 2000 USD. If you don’t know where to spend you money then this IEM might just help you with that, otherwise me personally don’t recommend buying it unless you have tried it and really enjoy it more than the other IEMs in the market that is cheaper and sounds probably better.
The people spending the extra for the material change, though, are the ones who aren't necessarily after the sonic benefit, but because more expensive material=more premium=cooler. Titanium watches don't tell time better, they're typically more expensive, but yeah, they feel more luxury.
I'm also a sucker for material choices. Still have my custom sterling silver v-moda shields; now I just need Roland to resell the company again and have them put out a better m200 anc model.

Mar 19, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #53,082 of 89,044

Those cable sound properties descriptions always crack me up... 🤭 But... the new Eletech cables look nice. Not sure where to buy them in Europe, but I'll probably get both. I love the looks of Eletech cables.

Mar 19, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #53,083 of 89,044
Those cable sound properties descriptions always crack me up... 🤭 But... the new Eletech cables look nice. Not sure where to buy them in Europe, but I'll probably get both. I love the looks of Eletech cables.

🤣

Mar 19, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #53,084 of 89,044
Vancouver is, in fact, a proposal of mine for a candidate city.
My Aikido club has a dojo in Vancouver, so I'd love an excuse to visit there.
Japan is already host to several world-class personal audio shows, Fujiya-Avic being the longest running of them. In that case, it wouldn't be a CanJam, we'd just go to Fujiya-Avic. Maybe we can get @Currawong to play tour guide?
And e-earphone, that also has the Potafes (Portable Festival). What used to be a tiny, almost unfindable shop is now in an entire building. Imagine a multi-floor supermarket, but all the products are headphones and related audio gear. A friend just went there and was blown away. It is, by far, the world's greatest headphone store.
Fujiya Avic puts on the greatest show here though, and they have multiple stores that include cameras and pro audio gear.
If you have a CanJam in Korea, I am there as long as I don't have a conflict.
I'm just across the water, so I'm up for it!

Mar 19, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #53,085 of 89,044
I get what you're saying but my main point is that it doesn't the music sound any better. You only need an OS to keep the thing running and play music. Almost like Windows of and by itself not making a computer any better than DOS. It's mostly for the applications. But if you only need select, start, and volume you don't need anything special.

drftr
Well if my home audio PC looks like this on the playback front...

audio proc.png

To be fair all that "just" sums up to a home-made surround upmixer, spectrum analyzer, per channel convolution room correction and global parametric EQ for the speaker system. And it's only taking up 42% of an Intel Core i7 CPU because it's an old model of i7, VSTHost is a single-core process and my homemade surround upmixer performs like a dog CPU efficiency wise. :p

On mobile, I haven't yet managed to put together a multichannel room simulation that everybody likes so it mostly "just" boils down to custom parametric EQs for earphones and reliable 4-channel convolution at all sample rates for stereo room simulation instead of say a portable upmixer and 10-channel convolution. We're still chasing reliable PEQ and 4ch convolution on our over-featured Android DAPs... so... in my own time listening to headphones I still prefer the PC and still use up a good part of its CPU :ksc75smile:

Don't get me started on if the music is in Dolby Atmos or something I don't even have a decoder for on any of our DAPs yet...

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back