The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 2, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #47,821 of 88,440
My Mentor has arrived! (1 day shipping from 🐐 @MusicTeck ). Dopamine levels are high. This is my first Unique Melody IEM. The unboxing was pretty standard.

Screenshot_20230201-221656_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230201-221738_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230201-221920_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230201-221640_Gallery.jpg

Excited to give this a spin later :)
Congratulations!!!

Feb 2, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #47,822 of 88,440
@Ace Bee @gadgetgod @aakashk @Visveswaran Umashankar @rishabhgkp @Sajid Amit @Animagus Shrugged off COVID, am moving again per today, and wonder if an Indian audio meet-up is still in the books. I'll most likely be approaching Delhi sometime around the Headphone Connect show on Feb 25th. Perhaps aim to meet there or somewhere else during the days after? Of course anyone else is invited!

Still have to work on a good story to seduce @HiFiHawaii808 to come over and take a box with beautiful Watercooler tags with him. Could he be the incarnation of an Indian sultan or something?

Sultan? Did I type that??

drftr
Hey! Sorry I missed this note earlier, was away. An audio meet-up is always in the books, we just need to decide when and where :) Most of us are going to be there at the Headphone Connect on 25th, but something can be planned before/after that as well. Keep us posted on your arrival to Delhi and we can try to plan something

What Say @Ace Bee @gadgetgod @Visveswaran Umashankar ??

Feb 2, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #47,823 of 88,440
Hey! Sorry I missed this note earlier, was away. An audio meet-up is always in the books, we just need to decide when and where :) Most of us are going to be there at the Headphone Connect on 25th, but something can be planned before/after that as well. Keep us posted on your arrival to Delhi and we can try to plan something

What Say @Ace Bee @gadgetgod @Visveswaran Umashankar ??
I'm always in, but I doubt I can make 25th February. Sometimes before or after will be better...weekdays preferable. Even if I cannot make the meet, I will anyway meet @drftr separately for sure.

Feb 2, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #47,824 of 88,440
I'm always in, but I doubt I can make 25th February. Sometimes before or after will be better...weekdays preferable. Even if I cannot make the meet, I will anyway meet @drftr separately for sure.
Same here. I'd love to catch up with @drftr regardless of the Headphone Connect

Feb 2, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #47,825 of 88,440
Splendid evening getting "Mentored" 😵

Screenshot_20230202-025549_Gallery.jpg

I had the chance to demo this in the past through @Rockwell75 / Musicteck tour with the N8ii.

Screenshot_20230202-025647_Gallery.jpg

I missed this type of sound. It is mid bass leaning with weighty mids. The sweet, lush vocals are Trailliesque. The difference between the two is that Mentor has a sharper transient response, more powerful dynamics and boosted treble energy. This treble energy is a small con. I'll come back to this later.

Mentor also has a circular deeper soundstage where the Trailliis is wide. The imaging as I had mentioned in the past is quite remarkable. While listening to Above and Beyonds "Sirens of the Sea", synth notes were appearing towards me like the intro of Star Wars.

star-wars-crawl-02.jpg

Overall, this might be the most technical IEM I have come across. The RS8 (compared to the N8ii) gave it a warmer flavour. The transients were more diffused, cloudy and smoothed out. There was less of a stark separation between instruments. Most electronic / classical / jazz / acoustics played back well.

A minor gripe (going back to the treble tuning) is that female vocals could sometimes hiss during S' and connecting synth punches during house / EDM music walked the line of being bright. It might be this specific pairing but for those energetic genres I would prefer the playback on the XE6, Traillii / Impact

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #47,826 of 88,440
Final A5000 - amazing at this price!!!

8554E8E6-F8AA-4661-A8E4-5A603758BA96.jpeg

Feb 2, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #47,828 of 88,440
More great news everyone...Ben from FatFreq just let me know they'll soon be sending me a MaestroSE and Maestro Mini for tour. Exciting!

Edit: Whoops this was meant for the tour thread.

Feb 2, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #47,829 of 88,440
Feb 2, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #47,830 of 88,440
Regarding the estat vs ba and @drftr. My take is estat is too new to the table to really establish which is better. Much like when turbos were first brought into the auto industry there was a learning curve and some would say we are still learning. That said, knowles is introducing new high frequency drivers aimed directly at estats, fun times.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Feb 2, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #47,831 of 88,440
knowles is introducing new high frequency drivers aimed directly at estats, fun times
Have you tried the Knowles KN2 at CES in January?

I'm very much aware it's using Knowles new proprietary BA drivers to handle the upper frequency.

I'm excited to see how this technology will unfold in our high-end audiophile industry.

Feb 2, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #47,833 of 88,440
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 2, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #47,834 of 88,440
More great news everyone...Ben from FatFreq just let me know they'll soon be sending me a MaestroSE and Maestro Mini for tour. Exciting!

Edit: Whoops this was meant for the tour thread.
We definitely have to create a Rockwell75 for Europeans... 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back