The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 21, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #46,876 of 88,437
A little late to the party: I saw Avatar 2 earlier. This was the first movie my wife and I have seen in the big screen since the pandemic.

A5FF2511-D748-40CE-855A-BA31916B89F4.jpeg

Man what a beautiful movie. My jaws are still on the floor. Based on the reviews, I came in expecting a visual treat but I was pleasantly surprised with character development and execution of the story. For a 3 hour movie, there wasn't a dull moment. The underwater scenes were super immersive and vibrant. With so many Superhero movies coming out these days, it was refreshing to get that classic down to earth family oriented movie. It also had hints of Brave New World & environmental awareness.

If this was an IEM, it would lean warm with tons of heart, opposite to an analytical Nolan movie that tries to hit all the critical story beats. The CGI, while being the best that I've seen felt like more like the background set piece seamlessly integrated into the story. The ending was emotional, almost spiritual. Would recommend seeing it in the theatre if you haven't already.

Jan 21, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #46,877 of 88,437
First IEM order of 2023 is for the 634ears LOAC-T (CL) with Cocobolo wood finish as per this picture from the 634ears Instagram page. A brand that’s been on my radar for quite a while, excited to finally try one - thanks for pushing me over the edge @Ace Bee :) Oh and my recent theme of wood continues, and combines with titanium.

These are made to order in Japan, and take about a week to produce, so it’ll be a couple of weeks before it lands.

FE1AE6DF-34C5-4B63-BD7E-DD7615E1D47A.jpeg

Jan 21, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #46,878 of 88,437
First IEM order of 2023 is for the 634ears LOAC-T (CL) with Cocobolo wood finish as per this picture from the 634ears Instagram page. A brand that’s been on my radar for quite a while, excited to finally try one - thanks for pushing me over the edge @Ace Bee :) Oh and my recent theme of wood continues, and combines with titanium.

These are made to order in Japan, and take about a week to produce, so it’ll be a couple of weeks before it lands.

I think you're going to love it David. I'm in the process of evaluating 643ears LOAK-T, LOAK-O and 9iNE, thanks to @Ace Bee's introduction. Musashi is a really cool guy too. More to come...

Jan 21, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #46,879 of 88,437
I think you're going to love it David. I'm in the process of evaluating 643ears LOAK-T, LOAK-O and 9iNE, thanks to @Ace Bee's introduction. Musashi is a really cool guy too. More to come...

Yes great chatting with Musashi via Instagram, very nice and helpful. Brief thoughts on 9iNE? - I was just drooling over the pictures with the black finish!

Jan 21, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #46,880 of 88,437
A little late to the party: I saw Avatar 2 earlier. This was the first movie my wife and I have seen in the big screen since the pandemic.

A5FF2511-D748-40CE-855A-BA31916B89F4.jpeg

Man what a beautiful movie. My jaws are still on the floor. Based on the reviews, I came in expecting a visual treat but I was pleasantly surprised with character development and execution of the story. For a 3 hour movie, there wasn't a dull moment. The underwater scenes were super immersive and vibrant. With so many Superhero movies coming out these days, it was refreshing to get that classic down to earth family oriented movie. It also had hints of Brave New World & environmental awareness.

If this was an IEM, it would lean warm with tons of heart, opposite to an analytical Nolan movie that tries to hit all the critical story beats. The CGI, while being the best that I've seen felt like more like the background set piece seamlessly integrated into the story. The ending was emotional, almost spiritual. Would recommend seeing it in the theatre if you haven't already.
I loved the movie, especially the diversion they took to learn to live in the water. Great action. Great plot. Beautiful movie.

Jan 21, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #46,881 of 88,437
I have been thinking about what I would like to own as a definitive set of in ears.

I can see two paths for me:

1. The innovative endgame audiophile set:
I imagine something like a DD+AMT+BCD (+EST?) combination, that is well executed and designed of course. That might be over my budget though. So maybe a compromise like the GL-AMT16 or "just another quadbrid IEM"?

2. The tried and true industry standards:
Shure Se846 Gen 2 or 64 Audio U18s for example.

Sturdy, reliable sets with all BA setups that I can use for making music, enjoying music in my own or while doing sports, with very good passive noise cancellation and universal fit designs that will last an eternity and are made by brands with longevity and experience. They often have great support to customizing the sound to your liking.

I am also hesitant to support these ridiculous pricings. So I am not against buying used IEMs.

What would your dream IEM consist of? Which driver types, tuning, materials etc. should be used? Do you have your dream IEM already?

Also, is a custom IEM proprietary at some point in your view?

Do you have other suggestions for me, that are available for a non ridiculous price?

Very interested to hear feedback on my thoughts from you guys. Have a good weekend!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #46,882 of 88,437

I’m looking for a mmcx single DD IEM and ordered LOAC-S(CL), hoping to pair with some Eletech Proj 8 cables. Love the aesthetics

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #46,885 of 88,437
I accidentally connected my D8000 to the LO on my RS8 output and blasted my ears with 100 on the volume for 2 seconds. I blasted my ears with my Astell DAP as well a couple years ago because the volume changes so rapidly when you happen to touch the screen. Anyone knows how many decibels the headphones max out at? And how many times this can happen before you damage hearing permanently? I’m sure this happens to almost everyone because it happens very easily.

Hard to do a remote diagnosis. But after only 2 seconds you should be ok. Are your ears still ringing? Hearing damage doesn’t only take extreme loudness but also some time under this condition. If in doubt, visit a doctor.

You mentioned the Astell DAP and I just tried to „accidentally“ reproduce this with my SP3000, IEMs disconnected, of course. I don’t know about the old UI of the A&Ks but with the current Gen it is close to impossible to instantly and accidentally go to max volume. You can push the screen during the volume animation anywhere you want - it doesn’t even change the volume by 1 step out of 150, nothing happens. If you swipe the volume forcefully up it goes much faster than the wheel but still took me a while and most of the time more than one long swipe. Depends on where you start.

Bottom line - the current A&K UI prevents extreme immediate volume raises pretty good.

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #46,886 of 88,437
Hard to do a remote diagnosis. But after only 2 seconds you should be ok. Are your ears still ringing? Hearing damage doesn’t only take extreme loudness but also some time under this condition. If in doubt, visit a doctor.

You mentioned the Astell DAP and I just tried to „accidentally“ reproduce this with my SP3000, IEMs disconnected, of course. I don’t know about the old UI of the A&Ks but with the current Gen it is close to impossible to instantly and accidentally go to max volume. You can push the screen during the volume animation anywhere you want - it doesn’t even change the volume by 1 step out of 150, nothing happens. If you swipe the volume forcefully up it goes much faster than the wheel but still took me a while and most of the time more than one long swipe. Depends on where you start.

Bottom line - the current A&K UI prevents extreme immediate volume raises pretty good.

Yes I hope they fixed that on the new Astell. I had the SP2000 which I got about 3-4 years ago. When you swiped your finger rapidly on the screen the volume went up to almost max with one fast swipe. I did that by accident swiping up trying to exit volume on the screen. Learned my lesson never to swipe up fast like on an iPhone to exit.

I think I’m ok, no ringing. Just a lite extra sensitive ears now so I’m listening lower than usual volume levels for the time being.

Thanks for your response!

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #46,887 of 88,437
Listening to Trifecta this morning with an album by Charlie Byrd Bossa Nova Pelos Passaros (Remastered) from 1962 a couple years before I was born. Some may think of this as elevator music, no way gaucho, this is sublime music. No vocals to cloud the chords and picking, that delicate percussion and occasional strings/flugelhorn/sax. Gentle bass and bossa swing. Truly timeless music.

This makes Trifecta feel like it was also born in 1962.
Old soul of IEMs.

B06EB7B6-220C-462E-ADC4-AF11754EDD4D.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #46,888 of 88,437

I loved the movie, especially the diversion they took to learn to live in the water. Great action. Great plot. Beautiful movie.

I loved Avatar. Especially the story-- simple but timeless and very well executed. I don't understand the criticisms that it's all visual spectacle with no substance. I could do without the transhumanist overtones, however.

This makes Trifecta feel like it was also born in 1962.
Old soul of IEMs.

Great way to put it. Your post was a reminder how important the sort of music we like to listen to is when it comes to choosing and loving IEMs.

Saturday survey: What are the top 5 styles of music you listien to?

Mine, in no particular order:

1) Instrumental Jazz & Funk (Vince Guaraldi, Brubeck, Herbie Hancock, St. Germain, James Brown etc.)
2) Classic Rock & Pop (Prince, MJ, Eagles, Pearl Jam, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd etc.)
3) Minimal/Dub Techno (Bryz, Echospace, Rod Modell, Bluetrain, S.A.M, Sound of Life, Yagya)
4) Classic Electronica (Daft Punk, Underworld, Orbital, The Orb, Fluke, Move D, Kruder & Dorfmeister)
5) Classic soundtracks (John Barry, John Williams etc.)

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #46,889 of 88,437
Saturday survey: What are the top 5 styles of music you listien to?
Instrumental Jazz
Brazilian classical/Jazz
Indie
Singer Songwriter
Prog rock

So so much more, these five represent 60% of what I listen to.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #46,890 of 88,437

Users who are viewing this thread

Back