The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 9, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #45,871 of 89,826
I'd like to think that we are sharing our opinions here for a purpose. I browse these forums to get data points for a product I am interested in to triangulate my future purchases. If I see enough people that claim to hear sonic differences for a cable, I am interested in investigating that.

As someone that indulges in fashion, I have to disagree. I dont see all luxury items being in the same category. To me, theres a difference between a marked up product like Off White and Supreme vs a built to last techware product like Arcteryx that I can use for the winter and hiking activities. One is marked up to leverage its marketing, the other is a useable product that I can wear for many years for various activities. It also helps that it has a good warranty policy. Ive had a 5 year old jacket replaced for free due to delamination. Can a 50$ keep me dry? Yes. But Goretex is lighter and breathes better.

Some manufacturers use higher quality materials (such as pima cotton, merino wool). Some are at a better price point. These have a function whether that's comfort or longevity. Another example is leather shoes. A pair of Allen Edmonds that Ive worn for my wedding, job interviews has lasted me 10 years because they were good year welted and I could have them re-soled. A cheap quality 100$ shoes would last me 1-2 years.

With watches (a Patek vs Casio) one is a digital watch used to tell the time and the other is a mechanical time piece that I see as a wearable art piece. Some watches like Pateks and Hermes bags appreciates in value like artwork does.

I agree overall that it these are hobbies at the end of the day and that we should buy what makes us happy (while being financially sound). However, I think that we can and rationalize these purchases. One of the things I like about the audio hobby is the ability to upgrade gear over time. Buying at the right used prices for example, we can recycle the hobby fund to make those dollars last.

I like to approach the audio hobby for the tangible benefits it could provide for me. Re-exploring favourite artists with my gear has brought my a lot of joy. Just like a get away vacation recharges me to get me ready for long work quarter, I see the audio hobby (even cables) the same way.
Good stuff. Music is my safe space. It helps me recharge. Audio gear provides different versions of that, and that makes it interesting. And yes, there's a form vs function aspect to it as well. Take the Audio Technica 60th anniversay headphones - definitely form. Whereas function-wise, you may be able to get better function with less form for around $1k.

Jan 9, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #45,872 of 89,826
Are there any tour units left of Thummim? I know MMR has been sold out of that model for a while, and as much as I'd like to hold out and hear/see whatever new model CanJam offers, unless it's on a payment plan, it's beyond my budget. Visually it came off as unique to me. I'd be curious to hunt for the limited edition if possible (who knows if anyone decides to sell theirs), but it's true, much like you I actually prefer the more matte finish on the original, and it is described as a less neutral tuning.
I doubt it. Not exactly a recent release anymore!

Jan 9, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #45,873 of 89,826
Are there any tour units left of Thummim? I know MMR has been sold out of that model for a while, and as much as I'd like to hold out and hear/see whatever new model CanJam offers, unless it's on a payment plan, it's beyond my budget. Visually it came off as unique to me. I'd be curious to hunt for the limited edition if possible (who knows if anyone decides to sell theirs), but it's true, much like you I actually prefer the more matte finish on the original, and it is described as a less neutral tuning.
Love it that you find the Thummim so interesting.
I too have a long history in relative to my going on 4 year IEM journey. So afraid of those sharp edges though loving the boldness of the design concept. Finally taking a week as a demo; to discover no fit issues whatsoever. Binging for the normal month or two, discovering the C9 amp made the set come alive. Recognizing that the way that combo portrays double bass is my benchmark for what I want for that instrument. Enjoying trio jazz on that combo maybe even more than any other combo.

It is a divisive set because of the cost and having so much personality, one not many get a long with. The best advice has already been given by a few other posts, try first and not just at a CanJam give it a couple days and use an amp.

If you want similar and a set you can get close to Thummim without an additional amp the XE6 is very safe, the Trifecta if his personality jives with yours, would be good to consider. Though these, for me, do not hit that double bass wood cracking nirvana.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #45,874 of 89,826
I too have a long history in relative to my going on 4 year IEM journey. So afraid of those sharp edges though loving the boldness of the design concept. Finally taking a week as a demo; to discover no fit issues whatsoever. Binging for the normal month or two, discovering the C9 amp made the set come alive. Recognizing that the way that combo portrays double bass is my benchmark for what I want for that instrument. Enjoying trio jazz on that combo maybe even more then any other combo.
Which cable do you prefer most to pair with the Thummim? Thanks.

Jan 9, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #45,875 of 89,826
Which cable do you prefer most to pair with the Thummim? Thanks.
Stock cable guy. I updated the cable for the U12T from day one not for sound, and updated the cable for Elysium to tame the uppers per @twister6 review, to Code51 from day one. Other than that I use stock cables. Those that find it fun to try cables I have no issue with, go for it, I get it they do sound different, just not how I want to spend any of my time.

At CJNY last year I did really like the ergonomics of the Chiron cable so maybe someday I will splurge on one, then I will have to figure out where to use it. Once it is on a set it will stay on that set, if I decide to buy one.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #45,876 of 89,826
Brilliant album, I love ‘Purple Noon’ also… especially ‘Time to Walk Away’.

These guys fell off my radar for a while and I completely missed this 2020 release. Paracosm and Life of Leisure got a lot of plays back when they were both released. Thanks for sharing this... will give it a listen later on.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #45,877 of 89,826
I too have a long history in relative to my going on 4 year IEM journey. So afraid of those sharp edges though loving the boldness of the design concept. Finally taking a week as a demo; to discover no fit issues whatsoever. Binging for the normal month or two, discovering the C9 amp made the set come alive. Recognizing that the way that combo portrays double bass is my benchmark for what I want for that instrument. Enjoying trio jazz on that combo maybe even more then any other combo.

It is a divisive set because of the cost and having so much personality, one not many get a long with. The best advice has already been given by a few other posts, try first and not just at a CanJam give it a couple days and use an amp.

If you want similar and a set you can get close to Thummim without an additional amp the XE6 is very safe, the Trifecta if his personality jives with yours, would be good to consider. Though these, for me, do not hit that double bass wood cracking nirvana.
I think what I want, more than anything else, is something different. I've said it before, but budget is limited; given that, it's that much more important to me that something be unique and dynamic. Give me bold, give me gimmicky, give me something that thinks outside of the box over another acrylic shell and conventional tuning any day of the week. I'm that guy that skips the "screen accurate" release in favor of the glow in the dark variant.

I keep coming back to it, but there's this scene in Disney's Cruella, the Emma Stone film, that always sticks with me (yes, I know, it's not exactly an Oscar award winning film, but it goes down easily). Stone, an aspiring fashion designer, goes to work at this upscale store in downtown London, believing herself to be well on the path to her dreams and instead, pretty much instantly discovers that she frigging hates it. Everyone there is snobbish, entitled, and has chosen traditional designs over bold and daring in order to avoid risking offending any of the high end designers. Stone pushes through it and takes more and more of the management's bad attitude until finally one night she gets absolutely plastered and ends up trashing the store display. She awakes the next morning with a vicious hangover and discovers she's scrawled across the store window in bright red lipstick "IT SHOULD BE FUN". That's right before she ends up leaving and pursuing her own talent.

I know it's silly, but the more and more high end stuff I see, the more and more I feel like a lot of it is derivative. It's controversial, but I'm ok even sacrificing sound quality (to a degree) in favor of something that manages to be experimental. I don't know about the sound quality for the Thummim, I just know that I find it visually arresting. Because hey, especially at these prices, it should be fun.

Jan 9, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #45,878 of 89,826
The Annihilator has a pretty mediocre bass response and most of its emphasis is in the mid bass region. However, I have tested its low frequency extension using this test track and my unit definitely produces sound/rumble down to ~20hz.

https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

I use this test all the time-- it's great for testing treble extension, channel balance, bass extenstion, dynamic range.

What do people here think of EQ? I play around with it a lot and most of my IEMs get EQ'd a bit. It's a good alternative to not spending $$$ on cables etc. and where the choice of tips I can use is very limited.

Jan 9, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #45,879 of 89,826
What do people here think of EQ? I play around with it a lot and most of my IEMs get EQ'd a bit. It's a good alternative to not spending $$$ on cables etc. and where the choice of tips I can use is very limited.
I think EQ is great but I think we're in the minority. With IEMs I only use it occasionally though, to tame the upper mids of the EVO and the Odin, and not even all the time, only for rock and metal.

Jan 9, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #45,880 of 89,826

I use this test all the time-- it's great for testing treble extension, channel balance, bass extenstion, dynamic range.

I've yet to EQ any of my IEMs as I haven't felt the need to but do EQ my headphones. I think EQ is a great tool and never understood why some folks are so against it. My Audeze LCD-2 need EQ (a mild boost at 4k) to sound right to my ears and I don't see any reason why applying some personal corrections to the FR should be considered a negative.

Jan 9, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #45,881 of 89,826

No EQ, none for any of my IEMs, but yes EQ for headphones, specifically LCDs.

Jan 9, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #45,882 of 89,826
I play around with EQ A LOT. I heavily prefer not to use EQ because I forget it often times and I find it inconvenient to activate/deactivate it. But it really can make IEMs listenable to me. For example can't listen to the EVO without EQ, but with it's so much fun for me. The same for the Supermoon. I also like using EQ to discover the reviewers targets. Therefore I like using the auto-eq functionality. This is how I "fix" the Supermoon for me:

1673276465974.png

But I don't like to EQ very aggressively, I try to keep the "identity" of the IEM.

I also like that you gain a lot of insights when EQing into balance of the FR and how certain ferquencies affect the overall sound perception.

Jan 9, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #45,883 of 89,826

If I have to EQ it at all, I know the tuning isn't right for me. A perfect fit IEM for me sounds right out of the box on direct source.

Jan 9, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #45,884 of 89,826
PW 1960 SE vs PW First Times

First Times is warmer sounding than the 1960 SE with stronger bass rumble. 1960 SE has quicker bass decay and the bass note is articulated with more precision. Mid-bass on the First Times is fuller. The lower midrange on the First Times is thicker and vocals are lusher. The 1960 SE presents a more forward upper midrange and it commands higher transparency level. The treble on the First Times is smoother and more controlled. 1960 SE on the other hand has great airiness and sparkle. Soundstage depth is better on the First Times. 1960 SE has the edge for soundstage width.

Verdict:
I love my upper midrange and top end so I will go for the 1960 SE. Of course, the First Times is no slouch too and it pairs better with brighter sounding IEMs. The 1960 SE is easily one of my favourite cables now, this is a phenomenal cable.

1673278192558.png

Jan 9, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #45,885 of 89,826
PW 1960 SE vs PW First Times

First Times is warmer sounding than the 1960 SE with stronger bass rumble. 1960 SE has quicker bass decay and the bass note is articulated with more precision. Mid-bass on the First Times is fuller. The lower midrange on the First Times is thicker and vocals are lusher. The 1960 SE presents a more forward upper midrange and it commands higher transparency level. The treble on the First Times is smoother and more controlled. 1960 SE on the other hand has great airiness and sparkle. Soundstage depth is better on the First Times. 1960 SE has the edge for soundstage width.

Verdict:
I love my upper midrange and top end so I will go for the 1960 SE. Of course, the First Times is no slouch too and it pairs better with brighter sounding IEMs. The 1960 SE is easily one of my favourite cables now, this is a phenomenal cable.

1673278192558.png
Did someone say “cable”?!?….

D8500E3C-5A3B-4DF0-AA75-8CD044F59B42.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back