The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 8, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #45,841 of 88,668
The big thick coaxial cables seem to become the new hype (for us, and in the morning industry)...😅

Since the Cema Tianwaitian and Penon Totem (both excellent) or the DHC Complement C and Clone series (the precursors as I know 🤔), and then Liquid Links Venom, EA Code 23, PlusSound Copper and Silver plus, Satin Audio Perseus, Nightjar Mira, Nostalgia Audio Galadriel, Gandalf, etc, etc, etc... 😇😂
Toxic is the original creator for such cables. Medusa is released in 2017.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #45,842 of 88,668
This is great advice in general, and I plan on taking it to heart.

To put it another way, to be super specific: MMR, for example, has decided on a theme (in this case, magic and alchemy) and applied it to all their IEMs, not just the names, but visually too. Xanadu is all about the ancient Egyptian look. Eletech leaned really into ancient Greece/Rome for their cables and had the visuals match. Are there any other "themed" IEM manufacturers that went fully with a unique tuning and aesthetic? I'm mostly just curious what similar brands might be out there at this point.
Thinking from the themed side products, I can remember of:

Noble: Khan, Sultan, Kublai Khan, Viking, Viking Ragnar.
Fir Frontier Series: Neon 4, Krypton 5, Xenon 6.

Jan 8, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #45,843 of 88,668
Thinking from the themed side products, I can remember of:

Noble: Khan, Sultan, Kublai Khan, Viking, Viking Ragnar.
Fir Frontier Series: Neon 4, Krypton 5, Xenon 6.
EE’s first ever line-up was the Olympus series named after Greek figures. You also have Craft Ears with Cuprum, Aurum and Argentum. Effect had a hodgepodge of gods for their first cable line as well: Ares, Thor, Mars, etc. There are a ton more I’m probably forgetting, but EE’s has the most sentimental value to me, personally. Takes me back to those days in Singapore where I’d just visit my favourite audio stores after school and demo for hours. :)

Jan 8, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #45,845 of 88,668
Many in CFA's lineup through the years have been named after various stellar or astronoimcal phenomena-- Andromeda, Jupiter, Vega, Solaris, Solstice, Equinox etc. etc.

Jan 8, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #45,846 of 88,668
EE’s first ever line-up was the Olympus series named after Greek figures. You also have Craft Ears with Cuprum, Aurum and Argentum. Effect had a hodgepodge of gods for their first cable line as well: Ares, Thor, Mars, etc. There are a ton more I’m probably forgetting, but EE’s has the most sentimental value to me, personally. Takes me back to those days in Singapore where I’d just visit my favourite audio stores after school and demo for hours. :)
Supra, Cerberus, Spartan demo units for demo and for sale 😆 Brings back old times, secondhand stuffs were mostly Grado & audio-technica headphones. Shure 846 was the bomb back then. And Oriolus Mk2 was like the emerging kid on the block with its hybrid config. I bought one thinking it had the best bass ever (compared to CA Jupiter & Vega)

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #45,847 of 88,668
The 3rd cable for 2023. 1960 SE! The 1960 is a legendary cable and I am so glad to add the SE variant to the collection!

IMG_20230109_125146_463.jpg

Jan 9, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #45,848 of 88,668
Many in CFA's lineup through the years have been named after various stellar or astronoimcal phenomena-- Andromeda, Jupiter, Vega, Solaris, Solstice, Equinox etc. etc.
Is honeydew also one of them or exception :)

Jan 9, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #45,849 of 88,668
Is honeydew also one of them or exception :)

lol yeah I said "many" as I know not all follow that convention...but I'm tempted to say the majority do.

Jan 9, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #45,850 of 88,668
If cables make your listening experience subjectively better, that's all that matters, period.

I'd like to think that we are sharing our opinions here for a purpose. I browse these forums to get data points for a product I am interested in to triangulate my future purchases. If I see enough people that claim to hear sonic differences for a cable, I am interested in investigating that.

Have you ever go to Off White and ask customers why are they buying $4000 coats when a $50 jacket can be more practical and keeps you warmer? Have you ever ask people who buy Patek Philippe/Roger Dubuis watches why they are spending $200k on a watch, when a cheap Casio watch can tell you the time all the same?

The answer is the same. It makes them feel subjectively better. There's all there is to it. There is no point dragging science here. It's not the point. If you drag science to everything, life becomes boring. Not everything is about performance/$.

Why are these things getting a pass as "fashion" and "luxury goods", while cables, which is just the other side of the same coin in this context, doesn't?
As someone that indulges in fashion, I have to disagree. I dont see all luxury items being in the same category. To me, theres a difference between a marked up product like Off White and Supreme vs a built to last techware product like Arcteryx that I can use for the winter and hiking activities. One is marked up to leverage its marketing, the other is a useable product that I can wear for many years for various activities. It also helps that it has a good warranty policy. Ive had a 5 year old jacket replaced for free due to delamination. Can a 50$ keep me dry? Yes. But Goretex is lighter and breathes better.

Some manufacturers use higher quality materials (such as pima cotton, merino wool). Some are at a better price point. These have a function whether that's comfort or longevity. Another example is leather shoes. A pair of Allen Edmonds that Ive worn for my wedding, job interviews has lasted me 10 years because they were good year welted and I could have them re-soled. A cheap quality 100$ shoes would last me 1-2 years.

With watches (a Patek vs Casio) one is a digital watch used to tell the time and the other is a mechanical time piece that I see as a wearable art piece. Some watches like Pateks and Hermes bags appreciates in value like artwork does.

Some of us just wants to spend more to get more enjoyment out of it, is there anything wrong with that? From flagship smartphones, to fashion, to food, cars etc. A lot of things we do or buy, doesn't make a ton, or even any, rational sense. We do these anyways because it makes us happy. We don't need any reasons beyond that.

I agree overall that it these are hobbies at the end of the day and that we should buy what makes us happy (while being financially sound). However, I think that we can and rationalize these purchases. One of the things I like about the audio hobby is the ability to upgrade gear over time. Buying at the right used prices for example, we can recycle the hobby fund to make those dollars last.

I like to approach the audio hobby for the tangible benefits it could provide for me. Re-exploring favourite artists with my gear has brought my a lot of joy. Just like a get away vacation recharges me to get me ready for long work quarter, I see the audio hobby (even cables) the same way.

Jan 9, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #45,852 of 88,668
Dont know if you guys listen to Jpop or not but highly recommend this song here ( you can find it on apple music and tidal as well ) :)
perfect vocal and great piano background, listening to it with Traillii + RS8 is just amazing :)

ヒグチアイ - 悪魔の子 / THE FIRST TAKE​

Jan 9, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #45,853 of 88,668
Dont know if you guys listen to Jpop or not but highly recommend this song here ( you can find it on apple music and tidal as well ) :)
perfect vocal and great piano background, listening to it with Traillii + RS8 is just amazing :)

ヒグチアイ - 悪魔の子 / THE FIRST TAKE​

Love the piano. The vocals are not my style.

Jan 9, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #45,854 of 88,668
I wanted to get used to the Annihilator with Martini first. I just heard the Yatano Ultimate and I didn't think it would improve the Annihilator sound but it really did. You can immediately tell the fuller sound with more bass and darker background. This indeed did bring out the details and improve imaging a bit. Female vocals are sublime now. I'm even happier with the Annihilator, thanks a lot! @aaf evo This is the Yatano Ultimate 4W.

Beautiful pic, makes me want to buy a Sony DAP :beyersmile:
Can you hear sound <30hz frequency at a normal volume with your annihilator? I have my Anni reshelled and I think the bass is very poor, even worse than my airpods pro 2:sweat: (it has a good seal). I noticed it because I AB my Anni with my Focal Clear OG, and the Clear can reproduce sound <20 hz. I am thinking is it just me or its a common issue for Annihilator?

Jan 9, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #45,855 of 88,668
Oups... 😂

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back