The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 4, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #31,187 of 88,352
Stooooop Musicteck!!!

lun3.jpg

168fc228b82500f528b4dbf6209a4ff8.jpg

Aug 4, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #31,190 of 88,352
Just saw this on Insta:

Just received my first eletech cable and I’ve gotta say I’m a big fan… qualities that the Plato x Socrates project 8 seems to bring is improved layering and stage depth, smoothness with no loss of detail retrieval (coming from stormbreaker on Odin), and a slight mid bass bump (when coming from Odins stormbreaker) or a more defined punch and deeper rumble (when coming from plussound copper+ on EVO). Overall very happy with the purchase.

0BDD0801-66D1-4380-B899-8D465E8C9B3F.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #31,191 of 88,352
Thank you for sharing these. I will be getting Indigo back here very soon, but now I am super interested in the Sony WM1Z!! AHHH

My end of year bonus purchase was going to be Jewel w Venom cable (as I listen to a lot of Jazz and Classical) and the Cayin N8ii.....wonder how the Indigo sounds with the N8ii. Anyone out there with both?
Had both, preferred Indigo with MAX rather than N8ii.

Aug 4, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #31,192 of 88,352
For those in the headphone game...the new Focal Utopia

I just looked around and I don't see this anywhere including the Focal website itself. I wonder how it sounds? No impressions that I can see. I liked when Focal did a launch with Headphones.com when they released Celestee. I guess that didn't go as well as they hoped or they would have done it again.

I own Utopia and I have been listening to it a lot lately. It is usually regarded as one of the best if not the best dynamic driver full sized headphones. It is highly technical with great resolution and great punch and slam. It pairs with everything well so it is more versatile than many of the more highly rated Planars such as the Hifiman Susvara.

But, it does have some notable issues. First, the bass does not extend as deeply as it should. The Focal Clear is better in this regard. It also has a sound stage problem that I believe is due to its treble tuning. Moreover, it can sound like like it has metallic timbre which is unusual for a high end dynamic driver headphone.

For me, I have been experimenting with several different system combinations and I think I have found the sweet spot for this headphone.

Bluesound Node 2i > Chord Hugo M Scaler > Chord Hugo TT2 > Amps&sound Rockwell on 32 ohm tap > Utopia with Danacable Lazuli Reference cable.

This set up is off the charts and sound is right up there with Susvara and 1266TC if not a hair below it. The Rockwell on the 32 ohm tap really brings out the mids in a way that makes it sound like a ZMF headphone. The Danacable extends the bass and more importantly is much more revealing in the treble which gives it a more open sound improving the perception of sound stage. Since you can buy Utopias for half the price of 1266TC or Susvaras, it is amazing to know that synergies in a chain can get you close to the TOTL planars.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #31,193 of 88,352
Inspired by a comment from @ljnew in the Solaris thread I decided to knock one off the ol' bucket list:

I've been dying to hear this or the EX1000 for literally years. This one seems more up my alley and, as luck would have it, is more readily available. Yolo!
This iem is phenomenal to me. Rivals lx with slam with tape mod.

Also have mod where you can remove the plastic from the nozzle

I've been waking up excited to listen every morning!

Oh and don't forget the cable connector. I have it connected to lx cable. see:

Attachments

• 20220804_165730_HDR~2.jpg
    20220804_165730_HDR~2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #31,196 of 88,352
Since you can buy Utopias for half the price of 1266TC or Susvaras, it is amazing to know that synergies in a chain can get you close to the TOTL planars.
well err one can buy hd800s for more than half of utopia and 5 times less than susvara, not that money means much here :relaxed:

Aug 4, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #31,197 of 88,352
well err one can buy hd800s for more than half of utopia and 5 times less than susvara, not that money means much here :relaxed:
True. I own the HD800S. It is great and unbeatable for what it does and it is priced where it is a no brainer to own, but it is not an all arounder no matter what I've tried to do with it.

The HD800S has industry leading comfort, sound stage and timbre. Great resolution, too. But, it is woefully lacking in its bass response. It sounds better with a great tube amp or if you EQ it, but the bass response is still missing. I love it for Classical music and Jazz, but I have 4 headphones that does these Genre better. So, it gets very little ear time anymore. When I do get it out, I am not disappointed. I might do it today because of our discussion.

Aug 4, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #31,198 of 88,352
Aug 4, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #31,199 of 88,352
True. I own the HD800S. It is great and unbeatable for what it does and it is priced where it is a no brainer to own, but it is not an all arounder no matter what I've tried to do with it.
blasphemy but its imo and ymmv. a great source no eq. bass is great. Its my all rounder for 7 years number 920

Aug 4, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #31,200 of 88,352
I just looked around and I don't see this anywhere including the Focal website itself. I wonder how it sounds? No impressions that I can see. I liked when Focal did a launch with Headphones.com when they released Celestee. I guess that didn't go as well as they hoped or they would have done it again.

I own Utopia and I have been listening to it a lot lately. It is usually regarded as one of the best if not the best dynamic driver full sized headphones. It is highly technical with great resolution and great punch and slam. It pairs with everything well so it is more versatile than many of the more highly rated Planars such as the Hifiman Susvara.

But, it does have some notable issues. First, the bass does not extend as deeply as it should. The Focal Clear is better in this regard. It also has a sound stage problem that I believe is due to its treble tuning. Moreover, it can sound like like it has metallic timbre which is unusual for a high end dynamic driver headphone.

For me, I have been experimenting with several different system combinations and I think I have found the sweet spot for this headphone.

Bluesound Node 2i > Chord Hugo M Scaler > Chord Hugo TT2 > Amps&sound Rockwell on 32 ohm tap > Utopia with Danacable Lazuli Reference cable.

This set up is off the charts and sound is right up there with Susvara and 1266TC if not a hair below it. The Rockwell on the 32 ohm tap really brings out the mids in a way that makes it sound like a ZMF headphone. The Danacable extends the bass and more importantly is much more revealing in the treble which gives it a more open sound improving the perception of sound stage. Since you can buy Utopias for half the price of 1266TC or Susvaras, it is amazing to know that synergies in a chain can get you close to the TOTL planars.

When are you getting a Dave?

The Utopia is one of the few TOTL headphones I sold and don’t really miss. I hope the update will be a winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back