The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 2, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #30,961 of 88,893
We have very different experiences :sweat_smile: But all good. Don't like it when it feels like they are doing a favor for you when you pay for service and high prices for their products.
That's too bad. Have you reached out to Jack Vang? I've seen situations where customers have had issues and then escalated to Jack and it got resolved pretty quickly.

I had a situation just this year where I dropped my LX and there was a rattle in the left monitor. I must have broken something. I was in Georgia, so I walked in to get it serviced. I went through the normal customer service process and Dean came out to say hello. He got out his scope immediately and said I had a loose driver. They fixed it within 2 days and I went home with my IEM and for no charge.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #30,962 of 88,893
With you, two of my least favorite things to have to do is paint walls and weed the landscape. Always find a way to pay someone to do those tasks.

The ceiling is wide open territory for some more memorabilia, this way when you lean back in your chair gobsmacked, because the music is so good, you will have something to look at.
don't get me started on eves trough mesh covers, the best thing ever invented, took a peak after 20 years, yup were still good....

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #30,965 of 88,893
Seems you made a few changes to your entire rig, but I'm wondering how much of the change you are now hearing is attributable to the pi2aes? I've been curious about that for a while, as I've seen quite a lot of love for it elsewhere and I would enjoy the DIY bit. To me that kind of upgrade, along with the new Bifrost2/64 DAC module, has the potential to uplift all of my IEMs & Headphones at once, a great bang-for buck investment.

I'm curious, why did you reshell it? Apols if you mentioned this earlier...

And welcome back @jwilliamhurst, you've been missed.
I am gonna guess that a considerable portion of the change is from the pi2aes... USB is pretty noisy. I noticed similar changes when I moved to spdif on my Mojo2/Hiby R3 set up from USB. In this case I moved from my M1 Mc's USB to the AES out on the pi2aes. AES is also noted as being better on my DAC, the Schitt Yggdrasil even with the Unison USB.

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #30,966 of 88,893
Quick Question for @Scuba Devils and anyone else that wants to chime in, Sony M9 or Technics TZ700? or even Final A8000

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #30,967 of 88,893
Well if they can pull off Evo or LX bass without hot upper mids/lower treble, I'd probably buy 3 of them :)
You should start saving up your money because it's coming. Not sure how it compares against the best of the best, but it will meet those criteria.

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #30,968 of 88,893
You should start saving up your money because it's coming. Not sure how it compares against the best of the best, but it will meet those criteria.
I'll try not to get too excited. There's a lot to love about EE, but I've struggled with the upper mids and lower treble in all their IEMs I've tried (even the OG LX upon a 2nd listen).
So, let's say I'm very cautiously optimisitc.

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #30,969 of 88,893
Quick Question for @Scuba Devils and anyone else that wants to chime in, Sony M9 or Technics TZ700? or even Final A8000

I'd certainly take TZ700 over the M9, even though the M9 is a great set. I've not heard the A8000 as yet, I think @ranfan has, and he's also a member of the TZ700 fan club :)

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #30,970 of 88,893
I'll try not to get too excited. There's a lot to love about EE, but I've struggled with the upper mids and lower treble in all their IEMs I've tried (even the OG LX upon a 2nd listen).
So, let's say I'm very cautiously optimisitc.

Try to listen with the Chord Mojo 2. It has an EQ filter right at 3k hz. One click is 1 db. I've heard prototypes of sets with lower upper mids, so I know they are aware of the market pushback on hot upper mids. I am not sure if I heard the same units that @CL14715 has heard. My listens are a couple months old now. We should find out soon. I can't imagine EE will miss the opportunity to roll something out at CanJam Socal. If not then, then surely by CanJam NYC.

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #30,971 of 88,893
New toy. I had a listen with Pathfinder at Headfoneshop with my M11 Plus ESS AND the Cayin N3Pro. I walked out with the N3Pro because it sounded phenomenal in comparison to the M11 Plus ESS. Solaris 2020 and Pathfinder almost found renewed life and warm, lush, full bodied sound. So good for the price point that I walked out with the N3Pro (with a nice discount having interacted directly with Charles the owner) instead of the Pathfinder which does share some similarities and lineage with previous Solaris models but not enough to justify the additional investment IMO.

20220802_164757.jpg

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #30,972 of 88,893
I’ve owned the M9 and now have the TZ700.
For me they are not playing in the same league. M9 is a monitoring IEM, I found them … let’s say “uninteresting”. They are not bad in anything but neither very good in something :ksc75smile: From all the IEM I have sold I think it’s the one I regret the less. One other reason perhaps I didn’t like it too much it’ because I had the 1ZR at the same time and had a lot of expectations.
On the other hand the TZ700 is really good, it’s my daily IEM from nearly 9 months now and I love it. Price not too high, build quality is excellent, incomparable comfort and of course excellent SQ wise : nice and balanced on the whole spectrum, bass and sub bass are excellent and controlled, great soundstage. You can hardly believe it when you see the size of the earphone! You can even make them sound better with other ear tips and cable (my combo for now is Azla Xelastec and PW1960 2 wires)

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #30,973 of 88,893
Yeah, that's what I am worried about now and the main reason I didn't get a custom.

Lee needs a business partner who can help him scale up his business. The skill for creating something new and distinct that people like is very different from running a business. Dean Vang at Empire Ears is a great example of this. He has a whole company built around his ability to create new products. He is not burdened with the day to day activities. He's free to play in his audio sand box. That's what Lee needs because he is quite a talent.
Maybe would be more polite write him and not here…

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #30,974 of 88,893
Azla Max landed and while I've not had a chance to listen yet, they certainly fit well and very comfortable.

And for the grand prize of a brand new, top of the range 1985 Ford Granada (see spoiler for further details), what's the album cover in the picture?

20220802_201413.jpg

*this is purely for entertainment purposes, and there is no Ford Granada up for grabs... :)
PSA: the Max does not fit the U12t and possibly other 64A IEMs since the mesh of the tip is deep down the stem :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back