The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 2, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #30,991 of 88,251
With all this discussion about Lee and Elysian Acoustic Labs, I'm surprised nobody mentioned "but how about the recently announced collab with EA?" You guys don't think it's the beginning of a beautiful friendship? The tuning latent of Lee & industry connections of EA, let's ponder on this :wink:
Well I spoke to Lee yesterday about it
But he'll get us the details soon ... 😉

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #30,992 of 88,251
With all this discussion about Lee and Elysian Acoustic Labs, I'm surprised nobody mentioned "but how about the recently announced collab with EA?" You guys don't think it's the beginning of a beautiful friendship? The tuning latent of Lee & industry connections of EA, let's ponder on this :wink:
EA buys Elysian and they use the name as a gateway into the IEM market? Sounds like the play since EA has tried to release stuff on their own to no avail.

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #30,993 of 88,251
Comparing Elysian to EE or whoever else is pointless. They’re both “small businesses” in the grand scheme of things but one is a one man shop whereas the other has several employees and a large distribution network. Lee has gained a lot of attention lately and the demand for his stuff is rising. The waits suck but it’s part of the game with how small his business is. That doesn’t excuse the unfulfilled promises or constant missing of deadlines, but still. I’ve never had any issues warranty wise either, the Annihilator I have right now is actually my second CIEM Annihilator as the first one came with a faulty DD, he took care of it quick.

At the end of the day I’ll give my money to whoever makes a top product, I hope EEs new IEMs are as good as they are hyped to be, but I’m not getting excited yet. Every new release they have is always the next best thing until it gets into buyers hands.
We will have to agree to disagree. A one person company should be able to provide better customer service since he has a personal relationship with everyone involved. All you need to be professional is make promises and then meet them. Anyone in any company size can do that. The reason I brought up Empire Ears is to show that my request is not an unreasonable one because there are many existing cases of companies of all sizes doing service right. Lee makes great products and he needs to set up an infrastructure similar to what Empire Ears has to be able to service a growing customer base. Until he does, he can count on me not buying his products any longer.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #30,994 of 88,251
Aug 2, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #30,995 of 88,251
It's possible. It completely depends on the deal and the division of labor.

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #30,996 of 88,251
We will have to agree to disagree. A one person company should be able to provide better customer service since he has a personal relationship with everyone involved. All you need to be professional is make promises and then meet them. Anyone in any company size can do that.

I am not defending him by any means, I’ve had my share of headache and been there done that. But at the end of the day there is still a difference between a business size like him versus EE/Campfire <insert whatever company>

I guess I am empathetic to the situation perhaps because I can somewhat relate to it.

Did you buy one?

Nah I have no interest in it myself. I was just sharing because it seems sold out most places.

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #30,997 of 88,251
maybe I live on mars but I didn’t find polite his critic comparing Elysian customer service to Empire ears.
Everyone knows that are very different brand and ofc a big American brand can give you a better service in your country.
TBH I don’t have or had any Elysian and I had only one EE.
I don’t want say more about my thoughts 🤭
I think there is a language translation issue. I wasn't trying to be polite. I was trying to express a customer complaint in a constructive way other than just whining.

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #30,998 of 88,251
Maybe would be more polite write him and not here…
I am warning potential customers of the issues they are likely to encounter in buying one of his IEMs. This is the correct place to inform them.

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #31,000 of 88,251
It’s interesting to see the differing levels of patience (and experiences) across the community, especially in terms of different product types.

The kind of delays Elysian seem to be having remind me of many (most) cable manufacturers that aren’t medium to large businesses. A 6-week to 6-month wait for a cable was, and sometime still is, deemed acceptable.

With IEMs, likely a lower appetite exists. And I’d imagine it would be close to zero for full size headphones as they’re typically not produced one by one (certain exceptions apply such as bespoke ZMFs).

On a separate note, music wise, I’m loving a new album releases by one of my favorite indie folk rock bands (The Accidentals) together with the Kaboom Collective (studio orchestra outfit). Awesome combination and beautifully synergistic.

BA549A37-24EE-4D4E-986F-3C97EA50786E.jpeg

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #31,001 of 88,251
To be honest I feel like you’re one of the more fortunate ones. 😂 You waited like 8 weeks total (assuming you get it in 2 weeks?)
I started the process in January. That is when I decided I wanted to buy either an X or Annihilator, but I wanted to demo one first. I asked Lee and he promised he would get me one. As I've said, the problem with Lee is he over promises and under delivers more reliably than the sun rises in the East. I set my expectations so low, that it would have been impossible to under perform. The last straw was giving me a tracking number with a delivery date for Aug 8, then contacting me the following week saying that DHL didn't pick up the packages on the day he created the mailing label. Then, he took 2 days off without ensuring that the packages went out. Then, he wanted me to wait until late August to try again. If I agreed to that, I would not get it until after CanJam. You think I am a fortunate one because I have not been openly complaining about his poor performance. Now, I want to warn people to not buy from him until he proves he can do better.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #31,002 of 88,251
I started the process in January. As I've said, the problem with Lee is he over promises and under delivers more reliably than the sun rises in the East. I set my expectations so low, that it would have been impossible to under perform. The last straw was giving me a tracking number with a delivery date for Aug 8, then contacting me the following week saying that DHL didn't pick up the packages on the day he created the mailing label. Then, he took 2 days off without ensuring that the packages went out. Then, he wanted me to wait until late August to try again. If I agreed to that, I would not get it until after CanJam. You think I am a fortunate one because I have not been openly complaining about his poor performance. Now, I want to warn people to not buy from him until he proves he can do better.

I was not aware you had bought the Annihilator back in January. I only assumed it was after you demo’d it. I don’t blame your frustration at all.

And yes it’s good to share experiences like this here, I’ve done my best to share my experiences over the past ~14 months or so since I received the demo and placed the original X order.

I guess I am just not surprised seeing more unfulfilled promises, so seeing you frustrated with it is more of like a “I tried to warn you” type thing in my mind more than anything.

Hopefully you get it soon. 🤞🏽

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #31,003 of 88,251
It’s interesting to see the differing levels of patience (and experiences) across the community, especially in terms of different product types.

The kind of delays Elysian seem to be having remind me of many (most) cable manufacturers that aren’t medium to large businesses. A 6-week to 6-month wait for a cable was, and sometime still is, deemed acceptable.

With IEMs, likely a lower appetite exists. And I’d imagine it would be close to zero for full size headphones as they’re typically not produced one by one (certain exceptions apply such as bespoke ZMFs).

On a separate note, music wise, I’m loving a new album releases by one of my favorite indie folk rock bands (The Accidentals) together with the Kaboom Collective (studio orchestra outfit). Awesome combination and beautifully synergistic.

BA549A37-24EE-4D4E-986F-3C97EA50786E.jpeg

Long lead times aren't a problem if the buyer accepts that as part of the purchase. I am thinking about purchasing a STAX X9000. There is currently a 6 month back log. If I buy it, it will because I agreed up front to wait that long for it.

I am on the wait list for an L&P LP7. There is currently no expected delivery date. It could be a year or more out. That's not a problem. I know that upfront.

We are talking about the idea of over promising and under delivering vs. under promising and over delivering.

Aug 3, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #31,004 of 88,251
We are talking about the idea of over promising and under delivering vs. under promising and over delivering.
Sure, that’s your current predicament and I can empathize.

My observation was related but slightly different to the “willing buyer willing seller” scenario, and more around the accepted thresholds for lead times (expected) for different product types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back