The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 2, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #30,946 of 90,563
The first thing I noticed when I went to headphones was how miserably the production is often (e.g Focals creaking headbands, Audeze driver issues, Fostex hinges and many more) and the communication as well. I do not want to relate these issues to specific brands because I think it's a general issue in this niche market as most of the companies are still very small in order to provide service that we are used to by mass market companies. I even have very questionable issues with Empire Ears at the moment and I can count others too. But I must say there are also some noticable exceptions for me, e.g. Vision Ears or Zeppelin&Co.
Guess I have been lucky, so far never had any quality issues with headphones or IEMs. Everything is still as good as it was the day I opened them, knock on a big piece of wood.

I love all 3, but Bryter Layter indeed my favourite!

Nick is one of those music makers I wish had chosen to stay with us, all we get is those three albums. Imagine what else such a young genius could have produced. We are lucky to have those three.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #30,947 of 90,563
The first thing I noticed when I went to headphones was how miserably the production is often (e.g Focals creaking headbands, Audeze driver issues, Fostex hinges and many more) and the communication as well. I do not want to relate these issues to specific brands because I think it's a general issue in this niche market as most of the companies are still very small in order to provide service that we are used to by mass market companies. I even have very questionable issues with Empire Ears at the moment and I can count others too. But I must say there are also some noticable exceptions for me, e.g. Vision Ears or Zeppelin&Co.

Of course these small companies have quality problems. They aren't large enough to have modern manufacturing techniques and quality processes to ensure 5 sigma performance. For me, Empire Ears is the best company I have dealt with because they are always on time. And, if and when I have an issue, it is addressed immediately. That's the gold standard for a small company. Now, I regularly visit them because I am in Georgia quite frequently. So, that is not a realistic option for most customers. But, I do know they try to strive for similar service for all of their customers. Vision Ears is not immune from these issues. If you had good luck with them, it could be just the luck of the draw and your very small sample size.

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #30,948 of 90,563
When you have a moment I would love to have your impressions on the Azla Max + TZ700 please :)

Of course, I'm not sure this will fit TZ700, suspect I'll have to go up a size but I'll certainly try! And then no doubt, order a larger size :)

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #30,949 of 90,563
Lee is a good dude and means well, he also makes some seriously amazing stuff, I hope he can get logistics sorted sooner rather than later. It’s the same reason why I haven’t paid for a CIEM Diva, I won’t put money down for an IEM that I don’t know when I am receiving. It also gives me more time to decide if I want to commit to it or not now that he’s letting me hang onto the demo.

I asked Lee last night for an update about when I’ll get to demo the Diva (been waiting since it was announced at Singapore CanJam) and he told me 2 weeks. I hope this means I’m after you. If he tells you to send it to the Orange County area of California then that’s probably me.

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #30,950 of 90,563
Nick is one of those music makers I wish had chosen to stay with us, all we get is those three albums. Imagine what else such a young genius could have produced. We are lucky to have those three.

Absolutely, a terrible loss - and indeed that he hardly had the recognition while alive. Btw, a great example of an artist I rarely listen to via IEMs, this is a sit back and stick on vinyl choice for me - that particular release is a special edition I bought a few years ago, comes in a beautiful box with a print of stage notes, poster, reel to reel print etc - nerdy memorabilia but I love it for these very special albums. I own 'Seventeen Seconds' by The Cure as another example on cassette (original I bought in around 1989/90), 2x CD editions, and 2 vinyl... clearly my collector nature apparent in my music collecting too!

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #30,951 of 90,563
Absolutely, a terrible loss - and indeed that he hardly had the recognition while alive. Btw, a great example of an artist I rarely listen to via IEMs, this is a sit back and stick on vinyl choice for me - that particular release is a special edition I bought a few years ago, comes in a beautiful box with a print of stage notes, poster, reel to reel print etc - nerdy memorabilia but I love it for these very special albums. I own 'Seventeen Seconds' by The Cure as another example on cassette (original I bought in around 1989/90), 2x CD editions, and 2 vinyl... clearly my collector nature apparent in my music collecting too!
My nature is to collect, crystals, tools, lenses, CDs, percussion, business cards, and IEMs as the newest collectible apparently.

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #30,952 of 90,563
For me, Empire Ears is the best company I have dealt with because they are always on time. And, if and when I have an issue, it is addressed immediately. That's the gold standard for a small company. Now, I regularly visit them because I am in Georgia quite frequently. So, that is not a realistic option for most customers. But, I do know they try to strive for similar service for all of their customers. Vision Ears is not immune from these issues. If you had good luck with them, it could be just the luck of the draw and your very small sample size.
We have very different experiences :sweat_smile: But all good. Don't like it when it feels like they are doing a favor for you when you pay for service and high prices for their products.

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #30,953 of 90,563
collect things? say it aint so? OCDC no way all that sports memorabilia is just incidental...all that Bordeaux wine or scotch, na nothing sticks to this guy
765CB175-10DC-42B7-8568-051CB62584C6.jpeg

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #30,954 of 90,563
collect things? say it aint so? OCDC no way all that sports memorabilia is just incidental...all that Bordeaux wine or scotch, na nothing sticks to this guy765CB175-10DC-42B7-8568-051CB62584C6.jpeg
Any memorabilia on the ceiling yet?

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #30,955 of 90,563
No i stoped at taking every inch of available wall space

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #30,956 of 90,563
No i stoped at taking every inch of available wall space
Good way to cover up holes punched in the wall.
No kidding I knew an old maniac that did that.
Another bonus is never have to paint the walls.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #30,957 of 90,563
Good way to cover up holes punched in the wall.
No kidding I knew an old maniac that did that. Another bonus is never have to paint the walls.
I never did paint this mans den, its a faint pink from the 10 year old girl that used this as a bed room 20 years ago when we bought.....Did i mention im lazy too

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #30,958 of 90,563
I asked Lee last night for an update about when I’ll get to demo the Diva (been waiting since it was announced at Singapore CanJam) and he told me 2 weeks. I hope this means I’m after you. If he tells you to send it to the Orange County area of California then that’s probably me.

To my understanding he’s letting me keep this one as a “place holder” until he can make me a CIEM, maybe that’s just a perk of having given him about $8k to IEMs already. 😅 I am happy to send you this one though if you wanna check it out.

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #30,959 of 90,563
I never did paint this mans den, its a faint pink from the 10 year old girl that used this as a bed room 20 years ago when we bought.....Did i mention im lazy too
With you, two of my least favorite things to have to do is paint walls and weed the landscape. Always find a way to pay someone to do those tasks.

The ceiling is wide open territory for some more memorabilia, this way when you lean back in your chair gobsmacked, because the music is so good, you will have something to look at.

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #30,960 of 90,563
It's not a good look when you send $3000+ to someone in Malaysia and everything coming back to you is over promising and under delivering. I know he means well which is why I have tolerated this unprofessionalism until now. The last straw was giving me a DHL tracking number and not getting the package to the carrier for a nearly a week. He is a stone's throw from putting himself out of business. Not many people from overseas are willing to tolerate this behavior. I am personally done with it.
Confirmation of my decision some time ago to not explore those IEMs. Thx. It's not that difficult to be a professional. Just fulfill your promises..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back