The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 8, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #28,636 of 90,026
I work in IT and definitely not a millionaire unfortunately! I have some disposable cash on a monthly basis to play in this hobby and ensure all of life's priorities are attended to. I get a bonus now and then that allows me a larger spend - one of which went on the VE EXT back in March (and a fantastic trip to Cologne), the sale of which part funded Elysian X, which in turn funded a number of others recently - I enjoy flipping stuff along, and holding on to some gems along the way. Maybe I'll eventually settle on a small few, but not ready yet anyway.

Oh and the voice in my head that often pushes me over the edge for a purchase is "life is short" or "sure you could get knocked down by a bus tomorrow" and various other brilliant ways of convincing myself!

Enjoying a matcha tea break and Moonlight...

20220708_093143.jpg

Jul 8, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #28,637 of 90,026
My guess for average age of Watercooler group is 42, several older than us, me at 58, you at 48, others in their 30s. Maybe even some in their 20s.

I think Rockwell said this somewhere in this thread but based on how people interact on here without moderation that average age makes sense.

I was just thinking about wanting to be in my early 30's again which is basically 20 years ago at this point but yes a lot of that is projection. I recently read that we are some of the only creatures that can visualize the future which is what causes stress, I started looking at my Husky pup in envy at that point. She is always in the now and looks exceedingly happy lol.
That's interesting. Inversely, I was thinking the other day what it would be like to grow up in the baby boomer generation:

1) Affordable single income housing. Yes, much higher interest rates but the principle was 10X lower and the rates have gone down since then (until recently).

2) Social media free society. More organic face to face interactions. For example, dating culture now is centered around gate-keeping phone applications. What's worse is that this is algorithmic and monetized.

3) Entirely subjective: Best musicians to come out of that era? (Ex in Jazz, Blues, 80s rock)

Jul 8, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #28,638 of 90,026
I work in IT and definitely not a millionaire unfortunately! I have some disposable cash on a monthly basis to play in this hobby and ensure all of life's priorities are attended to. I get a bonus now and then that allows me a larger spend - one of which went on the VE EXT back in March (and a fantastic trip to Cologne), the sale of which part funded Elysian X, which in turn funded a number of others recently - I enjoy flipping stuff along, and holding on to some gems along the way. Maybe I'll eventually settle on a small few, but not ready yet anyway.

Oh and the voice in my head that often pushes me over the edge for a purchase is "life is short" or "sure you could get knocked down by a bus tomorrow" and various other brilliant ways of convincing myself!

Enjoying a matcha tea break and Moonlight...

I (44) work in IT too, but a bonus like that is as big as my full annual salary :sweat_smile: :cry:

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #28,639 of 90,026
im 37, own a small shop on my small home town.. but this 1,5 years ( covid lockdown ) make me shifting my expense into this world. I just came back from Jakarta and Bali for 17 days vacation with my wife and she already planned to take my 2 daughters next march to Bali and go to Japan in 2023 autumn. I think its time for me to enjoy what i have. :L3000::L3000:

Jul 8, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #28,640 of 90,026
I'm the same age as @RTodd and definitely not a millionaire. I'm an ex-highschool teacher turned bureaucrat. The reason I can buy TOTL gear is simply that I've been lucky.

In other news, the Jewel is on it's way to the new owner. The Trailli will also be sold along with the Orpheus. I have invested in a pair of Stellia and a Ferrum stack (OOR + Hypsos).

Jul 8, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #28,641 of 90,026
Baby Boomer here (70) with kids who have now moved out to pursue their professions. I was a partner in a controls integrator (mostly water and sewer treatment plant automation) so we are comfortable but at the mercy of our investments. With the crazies running countries they can disappear overnight. I have been in the hobby since the 70’s. We had planned on retirement travel but Covid changed those plans so there has been some cash to pursue the head-fi arm of the hobby. While chasing new equipment is fun it is really about the music. Finding that iem or dap that cements the connection is our holy grail. For me that was the Fourte and Chord dacs. Prog on!

Jul 8, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #28,642 of 90,026
Oldest rat in the barn(I think) @ 74. Have been into Audio in one shape or fashion since 1971. Retired Attorney and administrative law judge.

Jul 8, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #28,643 of 90,026
On that note, where is @gLer?
And...I'm back! Took a 'winter' trip with the family to one of the most scenic parts of South Africa (and our perennial favourite), the Garden Route. Specifically Knysna. More specifically, Thesen Islands in Knysna. A bit like what I'd imagine the Hamptons to look like, only in the southern tip of Africa.

PSX_20220630_180325.jpg

PSX_20220704_100634.jpg
PSX_20220703_094639.jpg
PSX_20220629_194959.jpg
PSX_20220629_115732.jpg
PSX_20220629_085257.jpg

For the first time in five years I went totally cold turkey from Head-Fi, and honestly, it seems to have broken a habit that was starting to get out of control for me. As such, while I'll still very much be around, I'll be far more selective in my interactions. Of course I'll always be available by PM, both here and at THL, so please feel free to ping me as and when.

In this time away I also seem to have confirmed some home truths about the hobby and me:

First, that it's really mostly about the music for me, and only as a means of relaxation and escape. I say mostly because I really appreciate having great gear that makes that emotional connection for me every time.

Second, that as much as it's about great music and gear, music is just one of many interests for me. I don't need it every day, sometimes not even every other day. It's always there when I need it, and I know when I need it because I feel it.

Third, I don't need TOTL gear to enjoy music. TOTL is absolutely essential for that premium experience, but like great food, not every meal has to be gourmet. Most of the time it's just about casual enjoyment, a prop to whatever else I'm doing. Only occasionally do I want or need to indulge in that really special experience that's only possible with the very best.

As such, my only music companion for my trip was a pair of Sony TWS IEMs and my smartphone, and not once did I miss the really special TOTL system I left safely at home.

I've spent the past week catching up on this thread (50 pages!) and slowly unsubscribing from peripheral threads I no longer care to read. I feel relaxed, recharged and ready for whatever changes and challenges the second half of this year may bring.

PS. @Rockwell75 sorry I missed your poll, though it goes without saying I only have one entry 😉 Happy to add my vote if it's not too late. And throw in the Sony XM4 for good measure - it's paid for itself 10 times over.

Jul 8, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #28,644 of 90,026
I turned 70 this year. I've been experimenting and playing with audio for over 60 of those years; we had a Voice of Music tube tape recorder that sparked many of the experiments. How does this work? What are its capabilities? I have continued to do live recording ever since, most recently with a Sound Devices 722 to record a local choir.

I worked as a troubleshooter for the City's traffic signals until offered early retirement. I jumped at that chance. Like others I'm at the mercy of the investment managers and the notoriously flighty crowd of investors. Currently they all seem to be in panic mode. I've watched the value dwindle.

Music has been my solace for most of my life. I've had my share of audio systems, always one thing or another, but I'm not the one to collect and trade and swap. I buy what sounds good and keep it until it doesn't work any more. I used my Denon headphones for 10 years until they broke. The Audeze replacement set is still in use after over four years. And now there's a Sony DMP-Z1, which delights my ears.

You take a step, and then another. The path changes. That changes the way you see and the way you go. Opportunity and choice. In 2005 I started broadcasting music for some friends in a game. Through the years that has grown. I'm now the music tech and announcer for various dance groups in Second Life; they create dances and need someone to stream the music and do narration. I've made my own shows for which I choreograph music and write poems. Opportunity and curiosity keep the mind flexible.

Jul 8, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #28,645 of 90,026
And...I'm back! Took a 'winter' trip with the family to one of the most scenic parts of South Africa (and our perennial favourite), the Garden Route. Specifically Knysna. More specifically, Thesen Islands in Knysna. A bit like what I'd imagine the Hamptons to look like, only in the southern tip of Africa.

PSX_20220630_180325.jpg
PSX_20220704_100634.jpgPSX_20220703_094639.jpgPSX_20220629_194959.jpgPSX_20220629_115732.jpgPSX_20220629_085257.jpg
For the first time in five years I went totally cold turkey from Head-Fi, and honestly, it seems to have broken a habit that was starting to get out of control for me. As such, while I'll still very much be around, I'll be far more selective in my interactions. Of course I'll always be available by PM, both here and at THL, so please feel free to ping me as and when.

In this time away I also seem to have confirmed some home truths about the hobby and me:

First, that it's really mostly about the music for me, and only as a means of relaxation and escape. I say mostly because I really appreciate having great gear that makes that emotional connection for me every time.

Second, that as much as it's about great music and gear, music is just one of many interests for me. I don't need it every day, sometimes not even every other day. It's always there when I need it, and I know when I need it because I feel it.

Third, I don't need TOTL gear to enjoy music. TOTL is absolutely essential for that premium experience, but like great food, not every meal has to be gourmet. Most of the time it's just about casual enjoyment, a prop to whatever else I'm doing. Only occasionally do I want or need to indulge in that really special experience that's only possible with the very best.

As such, my only music companion for my trip was a pair of Sony TWS IEMs and my smartphone, and not once did I miss the really special TOTL system I left safely at home.

I've spent the past week catching up on this thread (50 pages!) and slowly unsubscribing from peripheral threads I no longer care to read. I feel relaxed, recharged and ready for whatever changes and challenges the second half of this year may bring.

PS. @Rockwell75 sorry I missed your poll, though it goes without saying I only have one entry 😉 Happy to add my vote if it's not too late. And throw in the Sony XM4 for good measure - it's paid for itself 10 times over.
Absolutely stunning pictures, Guy!!

Jul 8, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #28,646 of 90,026

PSX_20220630_180325.jpg
PSX_20220704_100634.jpgPSX_20220703_094639.jpgPSX_20220629_194959.jpgPSX_20220629_115732.jpgPSX_20220629_085257.jpg

Well said mate, that has been my feeling as well. :)

PS.: What a beautiful place! Sad I didn't know about it before. But also glad and grateful to have had the opportunity to meet this place and people. I will take that for life.

Jul 8, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #28,647 of 90,026
I’m 30 and will join @KuroKitsu hitting 31 in the end of September.

Before the pandemic I was mostly working as a portrait photographer and then when the rona hit, my photography pretty much stopped so I’m still thankful I have my warehouse job working as a forklift operator to keep me afloat. It’s been really difficult not having my money maker while getting back into the hobby. Hopefully, my photography gigs would really start picking back up soon so I could indulge more into new gear.

Jul 8, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #28,648 of 90,026
I see you have the Thunder and the EST50.
Could you make a brief comparison between the two? Those two interest me a lot, although the EST50 has a price more in line with my wallet.

To my ears they share some similarities... But the Thunder takes everything up to 11! The things I like about the EST50 are the nice level of detailing, combined with large space, all with a romping bass to pin it down. There isn't a hint of harshness anywhere. The Thunder is similarly detailed, but everything is more open, and etched in space, with room to breathe. The spatial qualities are bigger and more 3D, and all of it is secured by great bass too. The bass on the Thunder is more controlled and not as thick as the EST50 though. I find overall timbre similar between them, as in being quite natural, and not slanted too thin, or congested.

Personally, I think the EST50 represents a great value for the level of sound quality you get. The Thunder is in a whole other stratosphere price-wise. But then there's the presence of the Penon Vortex in the market now, talk about sound quality per dollar!

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #28,649 of 90,026
Interesting choice of IEMs for a basshead showdown. Xe6 and Evo I get but I've never heard Fourte described as a basshead IEM...or the Violet either for that matter. YMMV I guess.
You are right, Fourte is not entirely basshead iem. Initially he wanted to add LX which would make sense on Bass alone. But in my opinion it would not stand a chance against qualities of EVO or XE6. It was also for brand variety and what was available on hand with longer listening time spent. Also similar price point.
So not perfect but still think it was a bit more fair option over LX a slight variation if you like. As you mentioned its a YMMV thing and one mans inpressions for fun for limited number of tracks that he is well familiar with.

Violet imo can defo claim basshead grounds. Its to date the best BA bass i have heard that easily competes with top DDs. Its bass is also enhanced by fairly laid back upper registers. So in general i think that was a solid choice.

In fact i dont agree wit some of his ratings and i would take EVO any day for those tracks over XE6. Or even Violet for that matter. But it was still fun to read, hence i shared it.

Jul 8, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #28,650 of 90,026
Baby Boomer here (70) with kids who have now moved out to pursue their professions. I was a partner in a controls integrator (mostly water and sewer treatment plant automation) so we are comfortable but at the mercy of our investments. With the crazies running countries they can disappear overnight. I have been in the hobby since the 70’s. We had planned on retirement travel but Covid changed those plans so there has been some cash to pursue the head-fi arm of the hobby. While chasing new equipment is fun it is really about the music. Finding that iem or dap that cements the connection is our holy grail. For me that was the Fourte and Chord dacs. Prog on!
My career for 37 years of it anyway was in the Industrial Automation business. We have that business in common. When I started was before there was a way to sense temperature beside a mercury thermostat zero cross switch. We both lived through the computerization of automation. One of the funny phases to me was those old dial up modems that were being installed so systems could be monitored remotely, and then the battle of competing technologies of PLC or DCS control infrastructures.

I am in a similar position now though only recently, with investments.

I am 100% in this for the music, gear is just a way to get the most out of listening, and allowing listening more often.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back