The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 20, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #27,451 of 89,035
I absolutely loved the Supermoon bass, felt it took some of the best aspects from a DD and BA and put it into one. The texture, weight, and speed was amazing. The “lack of air” was the only thing I felt it was missing but it was a fine trade off for me.
I thought it was good, but not the best I've ever heard. As I said, its most outstanding features to me are its precision, speed, resolution and dynamics. Maybe you applied those attributes to the bass response. I attributed those attributes to it as a general feature across the board. I only had it for a few minutes and didn't get a chance to A/B test it against anything else. Right after hearing it, I went over to the Musicteck booth and heard the XE6 again and what I heard this time was its bass impact which I really liked. To me, great bass has impact, slam, weight, decay, texture and richness. I didn't hear the same impact and weight in the bass. But then again, I was just listening for a few minutes and my focus went straight to dynamics, resolution, precision and timbre and not bass.

Jun 20, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #27,452 of 89,035
I thought it was good, but not the best I've ever heard. As I said, its most outstanding features to me are its precision, speed, resolution and dynamics. Maybe you applied those attributes to the bass response. I attributed those attributes to it as a general feature across the board. I only had it for a few minutes and didn't get a chance to A/B test it against anything else. Right after hearing it, I went over to the Musicteck booth and heard the XE6 again and what I heard this time was its bass impact which I really liked. To me, great bass has impact, slam, weight, decay, texture and richness. I didn't hear the same impact and weight in the bass. But then again, I was just listening for a few minutes and my focus went straight to dynamics, resolution, precision and timbre and not bass.

I wouldn’t say it’s the best I’ve heard either. For me that’s the XE6 in CIEM. I just think the bass was a part of the Supermoon’s standout traits. I really enjoyed it overall. The tightness and texture with the sub bass I felt was quite noteworthy.

Jun 20, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #27,453 of 89,035
I wouldn’t say it’s the best I’ve heard either. For me that’s the XE6 in CIEM. I just think the bass was a part of the Supermoon’s standout traits. I really enjoyed it overall. The tightness and texture with the sub bass I felt was quite noteworthy.
Got it. I agree with that. The bass is very good and I recall thinking that the bass is integrated and separated nicely from the rest of the FR curve and I described that as great imaging.

Also, I was having a question about the timbre and I am not sure why. Today, I am listening to Susvara and the timbre is reminding me of Supermoon and I love it. So, I am thinking that my mind must have been thinking dynamic driver timbre and there was a mismatch in expectation. I was confused because I have always loved planar timbre. So, I need to give it some more time. For me, I need more time to really understand and IEM before reviewing it.

Jun 20, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #27,454 of 89,035
Got it. I agree with that. The bass is very good and I recall thinking that the bass is integrated and separated nicely from the rest of the FR curve and I described that as great imaging.

Also, I was having a question about the timbre and I am not sure why. But today, I am listening to Susvara and the timbre is reminding me of Supermoon and I love it. So, I am thinking that my mind must have been thinking dynamic driver timbre and there was a mismatch in expectation. I was confused because I have always loved planar timbre. So, I need to give it some more time. For me, I need more time to really understand and IEM before reviewing it.

The timbre on the SM to me definitely leaned more towards the airy and ethereal side which is why I liked it so much for electronic music, but I also felt the tuning was good enough to make it a solid all rounder. It reminded me of a more ethereal timbre DD but with some of the best speed you can get, on top of that the resolution and detail was pretty damn good especially when you factor in the price point. The more I talk about it here the more I am wanting it again. I really wish there was a universal so I could try it longer and see if the N8ii + tubes pair up would work for me in the long run.

What source did you demo it with?

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #27,455 of 89,035
The timbre on the SM to me definitely leaned more towards the airy and ethereal side which is why I liked it so much for electronic music, but I also felt the tuning was good enough to make it a solid all rounder. It reminded me of a more ethereal timbre DD but with some of the best speed you can get, on top of that the resolution and detail was pretty damn good especially when you factor in the price point. The more I talk about it here the more I am wanting it again. I really wish there was a universal so I could try it longer and see if the N8ii + tubes pair up would work for me in the long run.

What source did you demo it with?
Both N8ii and M9. I need to hear it again after some time has passed to clear my audio palette and give it another shot. I really liked it technically and tuning was good, too. I got a point stuck in my mind and I couldn't get off of it. This happens to me some times.

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #27,456 of 89,035
I really wish there was a universal so I could try it longer and see if the N8ii + tubes pair up would work for me in the long run.
I have all but stopped caring about Supermoon until Campfire starts caring about our ability to hear it.

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #27,457 of 89,035
This baby arrived last week but gonna test drive it with the Fourté first
What's your personal experience with the PW Audio First Times ... ?
IMG20220619215322~2-03.jpeg

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #27,458 of 89,035
I have all but stopped caring about Supermoon until Campfire starts caring about our ability to hear it.

I'm guessing the answer is "no" for customs, but perhaps their return policy supports sending it back within the window if you hate it, given the inability to demo them.

I'm having impressions taken soon but find it very hard to commit to any custom right now even for models I've heard. Anything over roughly $2k feels too expensive considering the lock in. The U6t I'm currently running is great both in sound and aesthetic terms, and I actually could see myself going for an A12t if only because I more or less know what I'm getting into. Beyond that, there isn't much I'd bite the bullet on, but I've found I prefer the 64 Audio family tree in terms of sound. The FiR NE4 would be a maybe (as the XE6 is simply too expensive sans discounts), and I'm unaware of any X2 reviews out there yet despite the much cheaper price.

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #27,459 of 89,035
I'm guessing the answer is "no" for customs, but perhaps their return policy supports sending it back within the window if you hate it, given the inability to demo them.

I'm having impressions taken soon but find it very hard to commit to any custom right now even for models I've heard. Anything over roughly $2k feels too expensive considering the lock in. The U6t I'm currently running is great both in sound and aesthetic terms, and I actually could see myself going for an A12t if only because I more or less know what I'm getting into. Beyond that, there isn't much I'd bite the bullet on, but I've found I prefer the 64 Audio family tree in terms of sound. The FiR NE4 would be a maybe (as the XE6 is simply too expensive sans discounts), and I'm unaware of any X2 reviews out there yet despite the much cheaper price.

Don’t think I’ve ever heard of a company allowing a CIEM refund if you don’t like the sound. I think they’re working on getting demo units. Supply chain issues seem to be really messing that up for them apparently.

Jun 20, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #27,460 of 89,035
Even if I was all set with molds and know what to expect from custom's, blind buying from a company who's releases for me have been all over the map is just not happening... unless like you said, they had a very forgiving return policy.
Does anyone know if they have a Supermoon universal at their headquarters? They should honestly. I'll pop in for a listen.

I am holding out for something new and possibly planar in their remaining upcoming releases. Just hope those are well received as well. The fear being that the unicorn is only a custom and the new Uni's are dog crap.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #27,461 of 89,035
Don’t think I’ve ever heard of a company allowing a CIEM refund if you don’t like the sound. I think they’re working on getting demo units. Supply chain issues seem to be really messing that up for them apparently.

That's my expectation. I probably wouldn't roll the dice on them. I do passively have my eye on an A12T with a mother of pearl faceplate, though.

Jun 20, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #27,463 of 89,035
I apologize in advance for the size of this post and the tertiary role of headphones. I thought it may contain some lessons that may be of use to the good folks here.
“Always cherish the time you have with your sisters” I told my son as my sister was taking her dying breaths at the intensive care unit. “You never know how much time you have with them.” And then minutes later, the doctors told me her time was nearing its end. My sister’s eyes had almost a stone-like quality in their immobility and lifelessness. Her body was held together by a ventilator and IV antibiotic, vasopressor and fluid drips, her spirit having long escaped. Then the breaths became agonal and forced the moment the tube came out of her throat, eventually becoming fitful and eventually ceasing. The sister I had known and loved for years would would no be longer alive, but then again there would no longer be suffering from the malady of multiple sclerosis and how it riddled her body. There were tendon-shortening contactures from lack of stimulation. Osteoporotic fractures to her spine and legs from years of steroid use from years earlier. Decubitus ulcers and infections from her immobility, the latter occurring with such regularity that it led to a cancer of her bladder. In her last moments, I was able to see her face lighten with a calm sense of peace as she passed away.

The sister in the ICU will not be the one that I remember. I prefer to think of her as the adventurous artist and music lover. My first memories of her were of her showing me how to put the needle of the tone arm on the record for the LP of “Snoopy vs the Red Baron” that I got for my birthday. One day, she got sick and had to come home with an eye patch when she lost vision in her eye temporarily - the telltale optic neuritis that foretells a future diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. When my parents were out, I remember her blasting The Who and Pink Floyd on the hi-fi system. Music as therapy. When life gets unbearable, you can always tune in to whatever makes you happy. It was awesome having a sister who was eleven years older because she had all the knowledge of what was great to listen to in the seventies, arguably the most fertile decade in popular music history. She had eclectic taste from what I remember - joining the hard-rock posters on her bedroom was a cheesy smiling Barry Manilow, the antithesis of cool. But she didn’t care. Never let anyone tell you what you have to like, she told me, just find what you like and be happy.

That happy-go-lucky attitude was a godsend to her as she struggled with her illness over the years. She would host parties for her friends when my parents were out of town. She gutted her way through a few semesters of college. Always managed to hold a job, even as the disease robbed her legs of the ability to move. She had to give up on her dream of being an artist as she could no longer make the requisite fine motor movements. Her body wouldn’t allow for what her mind wanted to do, but it did not disrupt her energy. She was a jovial spirit and wouldn’t let her illness define her. Even she stubbornly tried to keep going out to bars to hang out with her friends every week, clinging to normalcy. Sometimes her body gave way when she came home and could no longer make it up the stairs, and she would call me to pick her up off the ground and get her back to bed as not to disturb my sleeping parents. It was those times that I felt best in retrospect. Me being able to pick her up when she needed me, because of all the times she inspired me to never complain about whatever life throws at you. You have others to pick you up.

So then I decided to use music as therapy. I bought a Red Halo, if for no other reason to have something to look forward to during a dark period. The first album I listened to my Versions of Me, by the Brazilian dance pop star Anitta. It was buoyant, full of life. Probably the most perfect pop album I’ve listened to since 1989 by Taylor Swift. And it arrived at just the right time. I would pop it on most every day during elliptical workouts or hikes in the woods. Last week I was in LA to see my son, and as fortune would have it - Anitta performed at the LA Pride festival. Here was my vantage point:
A9E6D052-EA5F-4E96-BB77-4074750CB700.jpeg

I was able to attend my first show since the pandemic, and was treated to one of the best shows of my life. I have seen Prince in person. I have seen Beyoncé in person. She is every bit the entertainer as those legends. Her energy was incredible, and the show was therapeutic in that I was able to feel a bit of weight leave my shoulders.

So value the time you have with your siblings. And keep your mind open for musical journeys because they may lead you to a more peaceful place.
Thank you for sharing this wonderful post and commiserations on your loss, may your days to come be brighter.

Maggot Brain is one of my favourite guitar solos and your post made me think of George Clinton reportedly telling Eddie Hazel to play it "like your momma had just died". Couldn't agree with you more than music is great therapy for the soul.

Jun 20, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #27,464 of 89,035
Thank you for sharing this wonderful post and commiserations on your loss, may your days to come be brighter.

Maggot Brain is one of my favourite guitar solos and your post made me think of George Clinton reportedly telling Eddie Hazel to play it "like your momma had just died". Couldn't agree with you more than music is great therapy for the soul.
I came to the MaggotBrain name because of one of my ’82 Delta 88 Oldsmobile. What a lovable hunk of junk.
D50FF1F4-01A3-4E0F-B844-9DBED211E233.png
It was the late eighties when I got it - and it only came with an AM radio! The only music station that came in clear was an old soul station. At first I was bummed out but in retrospect it was the best thing because it gave me of love of Motown and Stax and it let me appreciate my favorite Prince even more. And the James Brown and George Clinton fostered a better appreciation of the early hip hop I was listening to. Every midnight on Friday they would play Maggot Brain by Funkadelic - which was kind of bizarre because on this mellow soul station an absolute rocking banger would usher in the weekend. The guitar solo was just mesmerizing. It was one of the first cassettes I bought. And then I bought more things, worked some more, bought more things (rinse and repeat) and here I am over three decades later!

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and condolences. It does mean a lot.

Jun 20, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #27,465 of 89,035
Here we go! Off the bat, resolution and clarity is pretty outstanding. Mid range and dynamics really shine on these babies. More to come when I collect my thoughts.

20220620_170925.jpg
20220620_163601.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back