The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 26, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #25,726 of 88,483
PlusSound cables are amazing, TriHybrid looks made for Thunder and Copper+ for Ace.
Fantastic matching both🤩🤩🤩

May 26, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #25,727 of 88,483
I don't think this is lazy it's dead on accurate. It was exactly how I described the Timeless when I had it. I've always thought that you'll never get a "perfect" IEM from either BAs or DDs because the former aren't as musical as the latter and the latter aren't as technical as the former. IMHO if there is ever to be a "golden middle path" IEM that combines the best of both worlds it will probably be a planar.
Agree with this. The problem for me (with headphones anyway) is that even the best planars couldn't push the bass air that the best DDs could, and I reckon the same will apply with IEMs, if not more so given how 'small' IEM planar drivers are. Also, the midrange is often seen as the weak point for planars, at least compared with the best DDs. Let's see how Supermoon fares in these areas in your experience.

May 26, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #25,728 of 88,483
I know a while back at a previous NAMM they showcased their own coupler tool to measure IEMs. I wonder if that’ll finally be released.

There's one custom that was teased on social media to be a more affordable model for musicians. It was strongly implied that it was developed with another member of the Belonozhko family who'd left 64 Audio as well. The one that has been confirmed to launch at NAMM is what they're calling the IEM Doctor, and it's basically a portable IEM measuring device. The prototypes I've seen look like a USB dongle with a coupler at the end for the IEM to go into, and it'll plot its FR into whatever measuring software you happen to use. It's technically designed for diagnostic purposes, like testing for channel imbalance while in the field. Obviously, though, I'm curious to see how it performs in the enthusiast space. Will the broader community (i.e. those that don't have an IEC-711-compliant system, ARTA software, etc.) have a standard for sharing and comparing measurements, finally, now that a well-known IEM manufacturer is actually producing/endorsing it? And, how will it clash (or complement) user impressions? I'm keen to see how that plays out.
Great point guys. Since this is a professional show, for sure it will be focused on that market.

such a tool is an amazing addition for professionals so they don’t need to be without their work equipment just to “check”, they can be sure before sending it back.
For us here, if the price helps, it may be a first step for more people start doing their own measurements.

From all the shows around, NAMM is by far the one I dream about be able to participate one day. :)

May 26, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #25,729 of 88,483
Agree with this. The problem for me (with headphones anyway) is that even the best planars couldn't push the bass air that the best DDs could, and I reckon the same will apply with IEMs, if not more so given how 'small' IEM planar drivers are. Also, the midrange is often seen as the weak point for planars, at least compared with the best DDs. Let's see how Supermoon fares in these areas in your experience.
For sure. DD bass tends to be better than Planar bass with the exception of the Abyss 1266TC. I find planars tend to be better with timbre and resolution. Not so much bass slam.

May 26, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #25,730 of 88,483
May 26, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #25,731 of 88,483
Demoed the i4 briefly a few hours ago out of my M9 with no EQ...i thought it sounded terrible and very metallic...like listening while sitting inside a steel pipe. I though about some of the comments that had been made about Supermoon and thought to myself if it sounds like this it won't last long.

A bit later I applied this EQ profile I got from @Malevolint on my M9 and it was a night and day transformation.

280267068_740977903573490_8822934902389827504_n-2-2.png

The LCDi4 EQd this way has a stage that is grand, full bodied and immaculate. Has that effortless depth & naturalness of Timeless but much more well refined. Think shades of Traillii mixed with the single driver coherence and more dynamic timbre of something like the Zen Pro. I see the reputation of this IEM is well earned-- desperately in need of EQ but properly EQd a uniquely TOTL listening experience. This is exactly what I am hoping Supermoon will be.

3C388D3F-9F4B-459C-B7D0-D46A10959E86.JPEG

Edit: I can't get enough of these...there is something so immersive, effortless and engaging about a planar experience. If I ever get tempted over to full size & desktop stuff this will be what lures me.

I wonder if cables would make a difference? You could always try it out with the Tyrian cable?

Great to hear, though it means you're basically limited to using them on a DAP with system-wide PEQ, even more so if you're streaming. But if it fits your use case and sounds good, a for away. I love the big Audeze planar sound too, though still prefer DD bass in both full size and IEM formats.

Personally I use it with my laptop exclusively. It has system wide EQ. And I thought all DAPs had system wide EQ ?

May 26, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #25,732 of 88,483
Agree with this. The problem for me (with headphones anyway) is that even the best planars couldn't push the bass air that the best DDs could

That's fair. Planar bass is DD-like in terms of tone and timbre but BA-like in terms of speed and impact. I noticed with Timeless that I heard the bass more than felt it and the same is true of i4 but to a lesser extent (30mm driver vs 14mm in Timeless). While I appreciate both qualities of a DD it's the tone and timbre that edges over in importance for me over movement of air. For this reason a beautifully executed planar IEM could be a perfect compromise/best of all worlds option for me. If I could make the Supermoon sound like the i4 with a bit of EQ I'll be enjoying and keeping it for sure.

I wonder if cables would make a difference? You could always try it out with the Tyrian cable?

That's a great idea as I think the i4 would love extra power in balanced. Regarding the sound...I dunno for me cables are an incremental SQ change at most and the EQ I applied was pretty heavy...I doubt a cable would make that much of a difference. Honestly I think my ideal
IEM would be a closed back i4 that sounded perfect out of the box. I can't express how much I love single driver setups...there is something about the sound they put out that is near the top of in terms of qualities I appreciate the most. I get why so many people say the i4 EQd is one of the best things they've ever heard. It's near the top for me already. Top 5 for sure...maybe top 3...or higher.

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #25,733 of 88,483
Saw this recommended on Rick Beato’s YouTube channel and I had forgotten about this album. Wow, it’s better than I remember. If you were around when this came out and like me listened a lot but shelved it for almost 30 years, you owe it to yourself to go listen again. What an amazing album. 1992!…. Damn I wish it was 1992 again…

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #25,734 of 88,483
Saw this recommended on Rick Beato’s YouTube channel and I had forgotten about this album. Wow, it’s better than I remember. If you were around when this came out and like me listened a lot but shelved it for almost 30 years, you owe it to yourself to go listen again. What an amazing album. 1992!…. Damn I wish it was 1992 again…

Actually yesterday I listened to a few of her songs

May 27, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #25,735 of 88,483
@yaps66 - good to see @DUNU-Topsound feature your great VERNUS picture on Facebook!

Screenshot_20220527-062753_Facebook.jpg

May 27, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #25,736 of 88,483
I thought exactly the same thing. Even the Zeus naming convention of thier top tier cable is similar in its name and looks just like the Aeneid.

Was chatting to a friend at Lotoo earlier (I'm a fan of Lotoo, she's a fan of Barnie 😂) and there seems to be some misunderstanding. Lotoo is not launching "the new big thing" (her words, not mine) in Munich. Lotoo is taking their time with development and of course the situation in China is very difficult at the moment with all the lockdowns. It is coming, but as they said: "Sorry, it's just a photo for now."

I know... That's a horrible tease. 😂

My first thought was along those lines too... "But Eric said he wasn't making the Inferno for IEMs?!"

Oh well... “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.” - Oscar Wilde
Not saying Satin Audio is mediocre, that's just the quote. 😂

Oh forgot... I do have the original (Eletech Inferno) incoming. 😁
I feel like Satin hardware is "inspired" by Eletech too. But LOL someone in Vietnamese audio community send me a photo of Perseus in May 2021. And as I remember, Zeus was released early 2020, meanwhile Aeneid was released in 2021. However, I think both Zeus and Aeneid is similar to Effect Audio code 51.

Ảnh chụp Màn hình 2022-05-27 lúc 14.33.27.png

May 27, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #25,737 of 88,483
May 27, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #25,738 of 88,483
May 27, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #25,739 of 88,483
Still waiting mine, it's in Belgium today...
@yaps66 did you try it with Vernus only?
Yes. So far only with Vernus. I can't say that there is a marked improvement in the sound but certainly in the aesthetic!! Still burning in my Vernus which hes certainly improved over time. I would say there is more coherency and more bass definition. Not sure if it is driver or brain burn-in though but either way, Vernus benefits from burn-in!!

May 27, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #25,740 of 88,483

Amen, Brother Branson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back