The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 3, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #9,301 of 88,552
That's basically been the Watercooler MO for the past few months 🤪
Yes, you're entirely right, and this is a big part of the attraction of this thread. I spend more time here than on the rest of head-fi put together!

What's also great is that you guys have a great, overlapping experience of the same IEMs, so we get to benefit from individual and collective impressions. And it's great that you guys are always trying new stuff. I've added a bunch of IEMs to my audition list that I'd otherwise have missed or potentially dismissed (like the Timeless 7 Hz) were it not for this thread.

One final thought further to my post about having a benchmark IEM: the personal ranked lists are also a great way of having a reality check about IEMs and they provide a great frame of reference.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #9,302 of 88,552
Just sold my IER-Z1R 2 weeks because rarely used it after getting EVO.
Nice, I just went in the opposite direction.
One final thought further to my post about having a benchmark IEM: the personal ranked lists are also a great way of having a reality check about IEMs and they provide a great frame of reference.
I'll be publishing mine soon, possibly later today, time and procrastination permitting.

Jan 3, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #9,303 of 88,552
CES starts in two days... I wonder will this booth have anything interesting to reveal? A 1A or 1Z successor? New IEMs?!

Screenshot_20220103-150546_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 3, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #9,304 of 88,552
CES starts in two days... I wonder will this booth have anything interesting to reveal? A 1A or 1Z successor? New IEMs?!

The latest rumours suggest NO new Sony high-end audio products until summer at the earliest. But it would be nice to wake up Wednesday morning and be pleasantly surprised. I'd love for them to update the Signature series so I can see what my eventual upgrade path looks like a few years down the line.

Jan 3, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #9,305 of 88,552
Seeing that it's so quiet and peaceful around the Watercooler today, let's heat things up a bit shall we. Here's my inaugural IEM Rankings list for January 2022. I've stressed and strained over it for the past two weeks or so, tweaking here and there more than once, and I think it's solid enough now to share with the group. Big thank you to @Damz87 for generously sharing his template with me. I made some changes, notably adding three new columns: Build Quality, Fit and Enjoyment Factor. I was also going to add Accessories but figured I can always do that later on, although since I hardly used the stock accessories on many of these IEMs, that score would be a thumbsuck.

I think the biggest single change was Enjoyment Factor, mainly because I've given it a 25% weighting in the overall score, with the first 8 items combined making up the other 75%. I consider enjoyment more important than any other factor, because even though each score is necessarily my subjective opinion of how I hear (or feel about) that particular aspect of an IEM, I very often enjoy an IEM that scores less subjectively and objectively in many other areas more than I do IEMs that score much higher. That explains the list position of IEMs like the BLON BL-03 and Sony WF-1000XM4, for example, both of which I'd take with me on a roadtrip before any of the other 'more accomplished' IEMs lower down, and even some of those higher up.

As such, this list should be taken as only one data point (as all of these lists should be regarded anyway). It factors in many different intangibles that you can't see on the list, like my music choices, how I use my IEMs, my sound preferences, my listening volume, and my hearing health. I encourage you to use it as a guide only in relation to my specific preferences, and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have on this thread, the Ranking thread (where I've cross-posted), or by PM.

I'll likely revisit the list only if and when I hear new IEMs that deserve to make my Top 20. I've heard many other IEMs, none of which I feel merit the time and effort it takes to include them on a ranking list, and again I'm happy to offer my opinion on those IEMs by PM should you want it.

Hope you find it useful, and see you at the 'Cooler.

PS. If you want short TD;DR summaries of the Top 5 or Top 10 IEMs on the list with an explainer on how I hear them and what I like/dislike about them, let me know and I'll put one together. Numerical scores are ultimately only useful as a grading system, and don't convey any real-world context.

IEM_Rankings_2201.jpg

Jan 3, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #9,306 of 88,552
I agree, and speaking in my case, for me nowadays it's more about finding monitors which could render the midrange (especially vocals) well, and focus searching in that narrower domain. Since my playlist mostly consists of acoustic guitars and vocals, sub-bass or upper-treble prowess doesn't really correlate to improved quality to my listening experience. Of course there are other elements to consider as well such as resolution, soundstage, layering, etc. But midrange timbre for me is the essence and therefore priority. The many flavors that midrange can be rendered appeals to me more due to each its beauty or flair, and I can't say which is better because each have its own uniqueness that complements one another. But by rotating those different tuning/sounds my enjoyment seems to be enhanced in the longer term, than say sticking with one sound character daily. So rather than buying one expensive model, I now much prefer having 7 cheaper ones for each day of the week lol

I really enjoy reading your impressions-- both because I think there are a few points where our preferences align (ie., we both prioritize mids over everything else) and also because you're quite consistent and good at expressing yourself...cheers :)

It's somewhat analagous as with food in that these monitors' role in rendering music can be alikened to how ingredients are prepared and presented together as a meal I think

Yup and every individual has their own preferences, tolerances etc. with respect to spice & flavor.

It's funny actually in my experience over the last year playing up and down the price scale - the dopamine hit is almost as strong waiting for a $100 set of buds as it is significantly more expensive items.

Ain't that a thing. I have a Monarch II cable coming and I'm just as giddy about it as I have been with anything else I've gotten in lately.

What's that contest? You have to buy one IEM and DAP every week for the whole year?

I bought my first 64 Audio IEM. Nio. Need to hear all of the bass head IEMs.

I wouldn't personally consider the Nio a basshead IEM. Consider Duo if you ever have the chance-- better bass and (much, imho) better mids than the Nio...and the open design allows everything space to breath.

I guess I have been like a caged animal for over 25 years educating my kids and driving old beat up cars that this hobby just opened things up for me in a way I never would have expected. Now that I don't have those huge semi-annual tuition payments that an IEM here and there seems like minor cost for the enjoyment it provides.

I know exactly what you mean. I don't have kids but it's taken me until my 40s to get to a place in my career and life where I'm able, with a clean conscience, to spend this much on a hobby. I don't regret any of it.

E92BD637-A1BA-46C5-B7F9-BCAB6B53EB6E.jpeg

Travel to Japan and then visit e-earphones. A win-win solution. 🍜

Bucket list for sure.

I want to avoid buying iem A then selling it when I get iem B, then buying C and D, selling B, buying E, selling D and C, thinking about getting F but not being able to remember if B, C, D, or F stand up to E. That way madness lies!

Lol you've found the right community here to support you through this.

If you're willing to buy used and exercise some patience, you can find top-tier IEMs in the $1K-$1.5K bracket to use as your benchmark. That's been my MO, up to the point where I've now found my benchmark for each use case. The only exception is the IE 900, which can be had new for $1300, if you can find one.

+1 I've bought used more often than not over the past few years. The exception being lately lol...but I find myself more able to make educated decisions now than I was two years ago.

Yes, you're entirely right, and this is a big part of the attraction of this thread. I spend more time here than on the rest of head-fi put together!

Since purging Discord out of my life due to its general toxicity (the audio communities anyway) this place has become the best place I'm aware of to freely banter about whatever IEMs & gear you want...it's a great resource.

Seeing that it's so quiet and peaceful around the Watercooler today, let's heat things up a bit shall we. Here's my inaugural IEM Rankings list for January 2022. I've stressed and strained over it for the past two weeks or so, tweaking here and there more than once, and I think it's solid enough now to share with the group. Big thank you to @Damz87 for generously sharing his template with me. I made some changes, notably adding three new columns: Build Quality, Fit and Enjoyment Factor. I was also going to add Accessories but figured I can always do that later on, although since I hardly used the stock accessories on many of these IEMs, that score would be a thumbsuck.

I think the biggest single change was Enjoyment Factor, mainly because I've given it a 25% weighting in the overall score, with the first 8 items combined making up the other 75%. I consider enjoyment more important than any other factor, because even though each score is necessarily my subjective opinion of how I hear (or feel about) that particular aspect of an IEM, I very often enjoy an IEM that scores less subjectively and objectively in many other areas more than I do IEMs that score much higher. That explains the list position of IEMs like the BLON BL-03 and Sony WF-1000XM4, for example, both of which I'd take with me on a roadtrip before any of the other 'more accomplished' IEMs lower down, and even some of those higher up.

As such, this list should be taken as only one data point (as all of these lists should be regarded anyway). It factors in many different intangibles that you can't see on the list, like my music choices, how I use my IEMs, my sound preferences, my listening volume, and my hearing health. I encourage you to use it as a guide only in relation to my specific preferences, and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have on this thread, the Ranking thread (where I've cross-posted), or by PM.

I'll likely revisit the list only if and when I hear new IEMs that deserve to make my Top 20. I've heard many other IEMs, none of which I feel merit the time and effort it takes to include them on a ranking list, and again I'm happy to offer my opinion on those IEMs by PM should you want it.

Hope you find it useful, and see you at the 'Cooler.

PS. If you want short TD;DR summaries of the Top 5 or Top 10 IEMs on the list with an explainer on how I hear them and what I like/dislike about them, let me know and I'll put one together. Numerical scores are ultimately only useful as a grading system, and don't convey any real-world context.

IEM_Rankings_2201.jpg

Oh snap...I've only heard about half of those. Not surprised about Andro's placing haha. YMMV and all that. The only way to meaningfully take these lists is as a measure of one's individual preferences...good work.

Jan 3, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #9,307 of 88,552
Can of worms alert!

I've been sceptical to what extent cables make a difference - I felt there were improvements with IE900 moving from stock to Brise but after a while when I switched back and forth again, I wasn't certain.

I've noticed with Serial that the mids are somewhat lacking in body. Out of interest, I decided to try the Han Sound Nyx cable ($200ish). I'm converted, an absolute immediate and unequivocal improvement, much more body to the mids, deeper bass and an overall fuller sound. They've gone from good to incredible. I've switched back and forth a couple of times and it's like listening to different IEMs almost! So begins a new rabbit hole...

20220103_104409.jpg

Jan 3, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #9,308 of 88,552
Can of worms alert!

I've been sceptical to what extent cables make a difference - I felt there were improvements with IE900 moving from stock to Brise but after a while when I switched back and forth again, I wasn't certain.

I've noticed with Serial that the mids are somewhat lacking in body. Out of interest, I decided to try the Han Sound Nyx cable ($200ish). I'm converted, an absolute immediate and unequivocal improvement, much more body to the mids, deeper bass and an overall fuller sound. They've gone from good to incredible. I've switched back and forth a couple of times and it's like listening to different IEMs almost! So begins a new rabbit hole...

I have had similar experiences to you, But let me tell you, chasing that white rabbit gets exhausting.

Jan 3, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #9,309 of 88,552
:clap: Just had an OMG paring moment with Satin Athena 4w + AR-M2 + Eden.
Previous meh turned to HOLY EFFIN SHEET. Single DD with the same relative tuning and electronic/R&B chops as MEST mkii but with better texture, weight, and realism. Replace anything in the chain and it's back to average. I was almost crying last night over the synergy, lol.
I have had similar experiences to you, But let me tell you, chasing that white rabbit gets exhausting.
I hear you on this dude. Super annoying to keep at it until your fingertips are raw.
I give it a finite amount of tries now. After 3-5 cable swaps I end up giving up and go back to stock. I figure its all about spooky luck anyway. If it is meant to be, it will be.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #9,310 of 88,552

I am flying to Las Vegas tonight to attend the CES show. A lot of the big names dropped out of the conference, but Sony, LG and Samsung will all be there. Attendance is about 1/2 of the normal crowd and a lot fewer exhibitors. Still looking forward to it.

Jan 3, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #9,311 of 88,552
I am flying to Las Vegas tonight to attend the CES show. A lot of the big names dropped out of the conference, but Sony, LG and Samsung will all be there. Attendance is about 1/2 of the normal crowd and a lot fewer exhibitors. Still looking forward to it.

Oh nice, safe travels and enjoy! I was there twice many moons ago, a great experience.

Jan 3, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #9,313 of 88,552
Round trip tickets to Hawaii from California are around $225. It's a good time to visit.

Jan 3, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #9,314 of 88,552
Scuba, thanks for sharing that experience. I just happen to have an NYX that I have not used. I will now earmark it for a Serial. It is one of those few IEMs I have planed to buy in 2022. If you are trying to find a good cable for a particular IEM, just check in its thread here. Some member will surely post his successful cable rolling experience.

Jan 3, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #9,315 of 88,552
Scuba, thanks for sharing that experience. I just happen to have an NYX that I have not used. I will now earmark it for a Serial. It is one of those few IEMs I have planed to buy in 2022. If you are trying to find a good cable for a particular IEM, just check in its thread here. Some member will surely post his successful cable rolling experience.

Absolutely do - I would recommend Serial as is but urge caution due to mids. With Nyx and I'm sure other upgraded cables, I'd recommend in a heart beat - phenomenal combination, especially when you've the cable already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back