The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 2, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #9,196 of 88,452
I think sales should count for bonus points ..😊

(I sold a DAC today.)

Jan 2, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #9,197 of 88,452
I think sales should count for bonus points ..😊

(I sold a DAC today.)
I agree, for me it's all about nett spend. I've been keeping fairly close to zero nett spend for the better part of two years now. Real life is way too expensive to funnel what little disposable income I have to constantly buy new gear at this level.

Jan 2, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #9,198 of 88,452
I never posted my top albums of 2021, so here they are - listed below and hyperlinked to Bandcamp. Some of these include reissues or collections of older tracks, but 2021 releases none the less. In no order, just picking my top choices as I browse my Bandcamp library... oh and these are all electronic, so look away if not an area of interest! I must say, 2021 was an incredible year for music - I guess a lot of creativity has come from this challenging time as is often the case.

1. Virtual Dreams: Ambient Explorations in the House and Techno Age, 1993 - 1997 - LINK (compilation of classic ambient techo from the 90's)
  2. Illuvia - Iridescence of Clouds - LINK (very well produced blend of ambient drum & bass)
  3. Plaid - Stem Sell - LINK (the Warp records legends remix many IDM, ambient techno etc. tracks)
  4. Calibre - Feeling Normal - LINK (melodic, drum & bass as always from this master of the craft)
  5. Beta Consciouness - Synesthesia - LINK (beautiful ambient techno with a Berlin School vibe, possibly my top album of 2021)
  6. Arjen Schat - Manifolds - LINK (3 epic analogue synth pieces, reminiscent of Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream etc)
  7. Arovane - Atol Scrap - LINK (reissue of this early 00s IDM classic, one to file next to early Autechre/Aphex Twin to name a couple)
  8. Sedibus - The Heavens - LINK (return to early 90s form by Alex Patterson of The Orb and Andy Falconer, original member of The Orb)
  9. Loscil - Clara - LINK (once a member of the rock band Destroyer but fantastic solo career of ambient)
  10. Reagenz - Reagenz - LINK (an essential reissue of a 90's collab between David Moufang and Jonah Sharp, ambient techno/IDM)
  11. Seefeel - Rupt & Flex 1994 to 1996 - LINK (reissue of Seefeel albums and EPs in a single box set... shoegaze, ambient, electronica)
  12. Anders Ilar - Phocid - LINK (dark, acid fused electronica)
  13. Island People - II - LINK (experimental, ambient electronica)
  14. KMRU - Logue - LINK (excellent ambient producer from Kenya, fuses field recordings to create an incredibly captivating experience)
  15. Sonmi451 - Seven Signals in the Sky - LINK (ambient with ASMR - one of my most listened albums going to sleep during the summer months)
  16. Lauge, Perry Frank - Selvascapes - LINK (ambient/modern classical/drone - beautiful...)
  17. Sau Poler - Nocturno - LINK (melodic techno of the armchair listening variety)
  18. Jeannine Schulz - Luminous - LINK (modern classical/ambient - a top choice to drift off to...)
  19. Adrian Lane - The Fleet LINK (beautiful modern classical, one of my most played albums this year)
  20. Ocoeur - Connections - LINK (deep and atmospheric electronica, a fantastic trip on earphones...)
  21. Saint Etienne - I've Been Trying to Tell You - LINK (produced in various locations, pulling together sounds mostly from the late 90s/early 00s)
  22. Phaeleh - Soma - LINK (beautiful ambient electronica - another of my top played... the inclusion of beats makes it a regular for out walking)
  23. GCOM - E2-XO - LINK (actually listening to this gem as I type - Tom Middleton, one half of Global Communication with his solo project, amazing album, future classic and definitely in my top 3 this year... a ZEN PRO special)
  24. ReKab - Analogue Isolation - LINK (Detroit influenced electro, the closing track on this album is an absolute work of art)
  25. Air 1 - You - LINK (stunning reissue of this classic 90s ambient gem by the late legend that was Pete Namlook, prolific ambient producer and owner of Fax records)
  26. Interconnected - Grainophonics - LINK (an utterly captivating listen, brilliantly produced, immersive sonic trip)
  27. Jon Hopkins - Music for Psychedelic Therapy - LINK (Jon Hopkins tones down and goes ambient with this gem, another bedtime favourite for me)
  28. Jason van Wyk - Threads - LINK (absolutely beautiful ambient/modern classical - this is regular on Traillii)
  29. Hollie Kenniff - The Quiet Drift - LINK (ambient, acoustic, drone - incredibly captivating album)
  30. Mixmaster Morris & Coldcut - @0 - LINK (beautiful mix collection of top ambient, drone, instrumental, modern classical - another future classic)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 2, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #9,199 of 88,452
2021 Retrospective

Thanks to SBAF, the headphonesdotcom forum, and @Rockwell75, I’ve been able to audition a bunch of great gear this year.

IEMs 2021.001 copy.jpeg

Top row: Dunu EST 112, Zen, and SA6
Second row: Campfire Audio Solaris, Dorado 2020, Andromeda MW10, and Vega 2020
Third row: Empire Ears Odin with Sony ZX2, Sennheiser IE 900, Empire Ears Hero, and Rockwell75’s Oriolus Isabellae
Next row: Soranik Bastille Signature, (the IE 900 again), Soranik Bastille Audiophile, (Isabellae again)
Bottom row: Audeze LCD-XC, my home headphones setup as of the end of the year, ZMF African Blackwood Vérité Open, and Soranik Versailles.

My sole IEM acquisition last year was the original Solaris. I’d auditioned it previously a bunch of times but hadn’t ever landed on the right pair of tips. Given the low second-hand prices now, I finally got a chance to add a pair to my collection. I find the Solaris slightly uncomfortable and am not fond of the vocal recession but I’ve got a copper cable coming to see if that helps.

Among the loaner IEMs, I very much liked the SA6, although it was a bit too warm for me, and the EST 112 has its charms. It was good to hear the Dorado 2020 and the IE 900 even though neither of them were quite right for my preferences. The MW10 was awesome but I'm glad my Andro 2020 fared perfectly well against it; I'd heard of the MW10 being the best of the Andromedas; that may be true but I like the darker tuning of my 2020 version. Listening to the Empire Ears Odin was an outstanding experience; while it’s tuning wasn’t quite to my tastes, it made for an incredible listen - the resolution alone was beguiling. I found it surprisingly engaging. If the sound signature had been slightly less warm and a bit more open and spacious, I’d have been very tempted by it.

This leaves the Isa as my second-favorite IEM of 2021 (the Solaris not being counted since it’s an older release). My impressions are posted above, but the tldr is that I agree entirely with Rockwell75 about these lovely IEMs. My favorite 2021 IEM was the Soranik Bastille Audiophile, which is made by a small company in Vietnam. I hope it becomes better known over 2022. I’m not sure what its status is and whether it has been widely released yet - I got to hear it through an sbaf loaner tour - but it rivals, if not exceeds the original and 2020 version of the Solaris in many ways. It’s a 5-driver hybrid DD and BA IEM (in a much smaller shell than the original Solaris), one that may have an even more spacious and holographic headstage (I didn’t get to A/B compare them, unfortunately), and it has excellent speed, resolution, and macrodynamics as well as exceptionally good imaging and layering. Best of all, it had deeper sub-bass extension than the Solaris, and more rumble, as well as a better balanced midrange, which made for a more immersive, engaging sound, for me. It reminded me of the Focal Clear headphones in many ways, albeit with better staging (even as an IEM)!

I’m not sure what will be in store in 2022. The original plan had been to buy a pair of the Soranik IEMs and compare them with my Solaris, with an eye to keeping only one of them. Now, though, I can see there being a three-way competition with the Zen Pro. I won’t be splurging on any of the TOTL IEMs as I smashed my piggy bank last year to get a pair of ZMF African Blackwood Vérité Open headphones, which I’m absolutely smitten with. I’d been saving up for ages and am still discovering their many charms.

Jan 2, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #9,200 of 88,452
@Scuba Devils So much work you must have put into this, I love to discover what people are listening to!
I'll have some nice stuff to check out :beerchug:

I'll try to do the same!!!

Jan 2, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #9,201 of 88,452
I never posted my top albums of 2021, so here they are - listed below and hyperlinked to Bancamp. Some of these include reissues or collections of older tracks, but 2021 releases none the less. In no order, just picking my top choices as I browse my Bandcamp library... oh and these are all electronic, so look away if not an area of interest! I must say, 2021 was an incredible year for music - I guess a lot of creativity has come from this challenging time as is often the case.

1. Virtual Dreams: Ambient Explorations in the House and Techno Age, 1993 - 1997 - LINK (compilation of classic ambient techo from the 90's)
  2. Illuvia - Iridescence of Clouds - LINK (very well produced blend of ambient drum & bass)
  3. Plaid - Stem Sell - LINK (the Warp records legends remix many IDM, ambient techno etc. tracks)
  4. Calibre - Feeling Normal - LINK (melodic, drum & bass as always from this master of the craft)
  5. Beta Consciouness - Synesthesia - LINK (beautiful ambient techno with a Berlin School vibe, possibly my top album of 2021)
  6. Arjen Schat - Manifolds - LINK (3 epic analogue synth pieces, reminiscent of Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream etc)
  7. Arovane - Atol Scrap - LINK (reissue of this early 00s IDM classic, one to file next to early Autechre/Aphex Twin to name a couple)
  8. Sedibus - The Heavens - LINK (return to early 90s form by Alex Patterson of The Orb and Andy Falconer, original member of The Orb)
  9. Loscil - Clara - LINK (once a member of the rock band Destroyer but fantastic solo career of ambient)
  10. Reagenz - Reagenz - LINK (an essential reissue of a 90's collab between David Moufang and Jonah Sharp, ambient techno/IDM)
  11. Seefeel - Rupt & Flex 1994 to 1996 - LINK (reissue of Seefeel albums and EPs in a single box set... shoegaze, ambient, electronica)
  14. KMRU - Logue - LINK (excellent ambient producer from Kenya, fuses field recordings to create an incredibly captivating experience)
  15. Sonmi451 - Seven Signals in the Sky - LINK (ambient with ASMR - one of my most listened albums going to sleep during the summer months)
  16. Lauge, Perry Frank - Selvascapes - LINK (ambient/modern classical/drone - beautiful...)
  17. Sau Poler - Nocturno - LINK (melodic techno of the armchair listening variety)
  18. Jeannine Schulz - Luminous - LINK (modern classical/ambient - a top choice to drift off to...)
  19. Adrian Lane - The Fleet LINK (beautiful modern classical, one of my most played albums this year)
  20. Ocoeur - Connections - LINK (deep and atmospheric electronica, a fantastic trip on earphones...)
  21. Saint Etienne - I've Been Trying to Tell You - LINK (produced in various locations, pulling together sounds mostly from the late 90s/early 00s)
  22. Phaeleh - Soma - LINK (beautiful ambient electronica - another of my top played... the inclusion of beats makes it a regular for out walking)
  23. GCOM - E2-XO - LINK (actually listening to this gem as I type - Tom Middleton, one half of Global Communication with his solo project, amazing album, future classic and definitely in my top 3 this year... a ZEN PRO special)
  24. ReKab - Analogue Isolation - LINK (Detroit influenced electro, the closing track on this album is an absolute work of art)
  25. Air 1 - You - LINK (stunning reissue of this classic 90s ambient gem by the late legend that was Pete Namlook, prolific ambient producer and owner of Fax records)
  26. Interconnected - Grainophonics - LINK (an utterly captivating listen, brilliantly produced, immersive sonic trip)
  27. Jon Hopkins - Music for Psychedelic Therapy - LINK (Jon Hopkins tones down and goes ambient with this gem, another bedtime favourite for me)
  28. Jason van Wyk - Threads - LINK (absolutely beautiful ambient/modern classical - this is regular on Traillii)
  29. Hollie Kenniff - The Quiet Drift - LINK (ambient, acoustic, drone - incredibly captivating album)
  30. Mixmaster Morris & Coldcut - @0 - LINK (beautiful mix collection of top ambient, drone, instrumental, modern classical - another future classic)
Amazing post! Thank you for the links. Excited to check out some new stuff :)

A great start to the new year! Hopefully the back is getting better

Jan 2, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #9,202 of 88,452
Thank you for the Band Camp links.

Jan 2, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #9,203 of 88,452
Jan 2, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #9,204 of 88,452
I never posted my top albums of 2021, so here they are - listed below and hyperlinked to Bancamp. Some of these include reissues or collections of older tracks, but 2021 releases none the less. In no order, just picking my top choices as I browse my Bandcamp library... oh and these are all electronic, so look away if not an area of interest! I must say, 2021 was an incredible year for music - I guess a lot of creativity has come from this challenging time as is often the case.

Lots of stuff for me to check out. Thanks mate :)

Jan 2, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #9,205 of 88,452
@Scuba Devils So much work you must have put into this, I love to discover what people are listening to!
I'll have some nice stuff to check out :beerchug:

I'll try to do the same!!!

Hope you find something you enjoy! It certainly takes time going back over the year but I really enjoy - it not only reminds me of albums to revisit but also each one has various memories from during the year that are rekindled as part of the process.

Jan 2, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #9,206 of 88,452
Amazing post! Thank you for the links. Excited to check out some new stuff :)

A great start to the new year! Hopefully the back is getting better

Yes slight improvement thanks, I know from past experience it'll take a few days before I can walk outside the house or attempt to drive though! It's a painful reminder for me not to let my exercise regime slip again the way it did in November and December.

Jan 2, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #9,207 of 88,452
Jan 2, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #9,208 of 88,452
Thanks for the excellent list to explore!

Virtual Dreams: Ambient Explorations in the House and Techno Age, 1993 - 1997 - LINK (compilation of classic ambient techo from the 90's)

Do you know if this is available digitally via Bandcamp?

Jan 2, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #9,210 of 88,452
I really think this fit "issue" with Z1R is completely overblown.

I experienced major fit issues with the IER Z1R at first. For me it was a combination of their size, weight and shorter nozzles. The problem was that none of the Sony tips fit me and at the time the only other tips I had were spiral dots which are quite soft and a result unless I sat perfectly still the Z1R would shift all about and break the seal in the process-- this was one of the major factors contributing to my selling it the first time. When I owned it a second time I had better selection of tips and had great success with OG Sedna tips-- they are a lot firmer than spiral dots and were able to lock the Z1R in my ears...no fit issues at all after that for me.

There are varieties of tuning or ideas, and it's really hard to rank them Add to that the curiosity and boredom we could accumulate along with time. It's like the analogy of food you gave. Recently, I just sort them based on purchase date lol

I enjoyed reading everyone's favorite movie lists the other day and thought to myself of all the parallels with people's IEMs lists-- most people's lists in both cases tend to consist of a few "classics" common to many lists and a few more highly personal choices that didn't appear as regularly. I find often that someone's "very favorite-- IEMs as well as movies-- tend more towards this second, more personal category.

For the last 10 days or so I've been on holiday leave, and I decided to delete the work email/calendar apps from my devices just so I wouldn't be tempted to look. It's been great to take a full on break and think of nothing else but what beach I'm going to for the day, and which beers to pick out of the fridge.

I feel that. I'm back to work on Tuesday after a nice two week break. If I had to sum up my mood today:

49721886_10161382277260654_7513159348562952192_n.jpg

That's a very interesting idea. Though @Rockwell75 will ban me from the thread if I score Andro a 5 😅

LMAO you can score something however you want as long as you're sincere and respectful about it.

...that lists are incredibly difficult to compile because they're necessarily restricted to the context of the IEMs/headphones you're listing. In isolation, Isa or Zen Pro or even Ely bass works well for its tuning and purpose, and a heavier-handed and/or more subdued bass you might consider 'better' by comparison doesn't really work for those IEMs. Add to that music and source and cables and tips and it goes all Multiverse of Madness on you.

Yup which is why long ago I just decided that I was going to abandon all pretence of objectivity with lists and view them simply as a token of my subjective enjoyment. I view other people's lists this way too and the attitude makes it easy for me to just "shrug it off" when others produce lists with rankings I feel are straight up bonkers.

An important change I added to my list was an 'Enjoyment Factor' score. This embodies my completely subjective and irrational enjoyment/ engagement/ gut feel for an IEM, and counts for 25% of the overall score (all the other 'traditional' scores combined count for 75%). This allows for IEMs that may not be the 'best at something' to score higher than others that are, because at the end of the day this is my list and it has to reflect the IEMs I like, not just logically but also irrationally. I'll dive in more once I share the list and you'll see what I mean.

I remember you suggesting something similar to me. Looking forward to seeing your final product when you're ready to share it.

So true. The Traillii lures you in with its clean, inoffensive, safe and balanced tuning, then hits you over the head with mind-blowing technicalities. It's like the tuning is a family sedan, nothing flash, utterly comfortable and relaxed, and then you're hurled in your sedan into deep space, with the glorious expanse of the music and all the little details around you, weightless, letting you see and hear everything but at your own pace. It's like being in a trance, with the whole world slowed down around you so you can 'walk around and through' the music without anything grabbing you or taking you out of the illusion.

Well said.

That was my experience with the Erlkönig for example and that probably why PHöNIX or Traillii isn't for me... I prefer something like the Elysium that can be polarizing but has a clear place in my inventory (granted I have lots of IEMs so my take is probably not typical).

Don't sell the Traillii short so quick. It's one of those rare IEMs that excels masterfully on the technical front but also has a tuning profile that is utterly beguiling and enchanting to listen to. I first heard it at the peak of "Traillii mania" last spring where there was a collective eye-rolling around here due to all the incessant praise it had been receiving. A lot of this, of course, was mixed with some sour grapes on behalf of those who were put off by the price. When I went to hear it I was half expecting it to be a "sounds good but isn't really my thing" scenario but once I put them on I was transfixed. I "came to scoff but stayed to pray" as it were. Erlkonig & Phonix...like the u12t to an extent as well-- sound to me like they skew towards the analytic side of the spectrum. Traillii is not like that-- it's perhaps the perfect mix of analytical and musical enchantment and perhaps therein lies the root of its charm for me. You really should try and get yourself a demo somehow-- at least for the experience.

I do not like too much bass normally and prefer a mid focus with impressive treble that does not bite and slightly more than adequate bass. Not exactly the same profile as you and others, yet we seem to all appreciate the Traillii. That alone says it, I think, and goes a long way to describe the Bird.

I am a little bit like this however I need the DD DNA to be present in the bass-- but my emerging ideal seems to be a la the Zen Pro where the bass never dominates the scene but comes with a salient density and authority that is always felt if not always heard.

I do wonder if I do not hear the real low sub bass. Reminds me of the question I wonder all the time do people see color the way I do?

Real low sub-bass is typically felt more than heard I think.

As to 2022’s resolutions as an audiophile, I’m only allowed:
  • One new DAP — Believe it or not, that’s already done ✔️
  • One new pair of IEMs — [__]
  • One new pair of headphones — [__]
Who will join me in this challenge?

I’m sticking to it.

Points per buys:
  • 10 points for 0 buy
  • 7 points for one buy
  • 4 points for two buys
  • 1 point for three buys
  • 0 point for four buys and more
The more point you have, the better it is.

Nothing is offset by sales or giveaways 😋

Those who get 10 points get a title yet to be defined, ideas are welcome.

Title(s) to be bestowed sometimes in January 2023.

We'll see how this goes lol...thanks to my infatuation with the Zen Pro I'm in the process of contemplating selling all my IEMs save two that can meet all my needs. The only products out right now that I have any latent interest in are the two VE IEMs. Beyond that all my temptations are merely theoretical at this point-- an R2R dap that meets my needs and a planar IEM that takes Timeless to the next level.

Exciting idea, I am likely to end up at minus whatnot :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I can try the challenge for a month lol

Although right now, I am in audiophile heaven with the Pro iCAN... and I have a 2021 purchase coming in in two weeks (custom Jolene) so that's cheating :p

LMAO this will be be @davidmolliere sometime this month:

I agree, for me it's all about nett spend. I've been keeping fairly close to zero nett spend for the better part of two years now. Real life is way too expensive to funnel what little disposable income I have to constantly buy new gear at this level.

That's impressive man-- I've lost a fair bit but I just accept it as collateral damage and the cost of enjoying this hobby the way I want to. I've been pretty good about buying used whenever I can which is certainly mitigated the losses.

Nice I can't wait to go through that list. The Reagenz jumped out at me at first. I'm a huge Moufang fan. One of my favorite Regenz tracks:

2021 Retrospective

Thanks to SBAF, the headphonesdotcom forum, and @Rockwell75, I’ve been able to audition a bunch of great gear this year.

Top row: Dunu EST 112, Zen, and SA6
Second row: Campfire Audio Solaris, Dorado 2020, Andromeda MW10, and Vega 2020
Third row: Empire Ears Odin with Sony ZX2, Sennheiser IE 900, Empire Ears Hero, and Rockwell75’s Oriolus Isabellae
Next row: Soranik Bastille Signature, (the IE 900 again), Soranik Bastille Audiophile, (Isabellae again)
Bottom row: Audeze LCD-XC, my home headphones setup as of the end of the year, ZMF African Blackwood Vérité Open, and Soranik Versailles.

My sole IEM acquisition last year was the original Solaris. I’d auditioned it previously a bunch of times but hadn’t ever landed on the right pair of tips. Given the low second-hand prices now, I finally got a chance to add a pair to my collection. I find the Solaris slightly uncomfortable and am not fond of the vocal recession but I’ve got a copper cable coming to see if that helps.

Among the loaner IEMs, I very much liked the SA6, although it was a bit too warm for me, and the EST 112 has its charms. It was good to hear the Dorado 2020 and the IE 900 even though neither of them were quite right for my preferences. The MW10 was awesome but I'm glad my Andro 2020 fared perfectly well against it; I'd heard of the MW10 being the best of the Andromedas; that may be true but I like the darker tuning of my 2020 version. Listening to the Empire Ears Odin was an outstanding experience; while it’s tuning wasn’t quite to my tastes, it made for an incredible listen - the resolution alone was beguiling. I found it surprisingly engaging. If the sound signature had been slightly less warm and a bit more open and spacious, I’d have been very tempted by it.

This leaves the Isa as my second-favorite IEM of 2021 (the Solaris not being counted since it’s an older release). My impressions are posted above, but the tldr is that I agree entirely with Rockwell75 about these lovely IEMs. My favorite 2021 IEM was the Soranik Bastille Audiophile, which is made by a small company in Vietnam. I hope it becomes better known over 2022. I’m not sure what its status is and whether it has been widely released yet - I got to hear it through an sbaf loaner tour - but it rivals, if not exceeds the original and 2020 version of the Solaris in many ways. It’s a 5-driver hybrid DD and BA IEM (in a much smaller shell than the original Solaris), one that may have an even more spacious and holographic headstage (I didn’t get to A/B compare them, unfortunately), and it has excellent speed, resolution, and macrodynamics as well as exceptionally good imaging and layering. Best of all, it had deeper sub-bass extension than the Solaris, and more rumble, as well as a better balanced midrange, which made for a more immersive, engaging sound, for me. It reminded me of the Focal Clear headphones in many ways, albeit with better staging (even as an IEM)!

I’m not sure what will be in store in 2022. The original plan had been to buy a pair of the Soranik IEMs and compare them with my Solaris, with an eye to keeping only one of them. Now, though, I can see there being a three-way competition with the Zen Pro. I won’t be splurging on any of the TOTL IEMs as I smashed my piggy bank last year to get a pair of ZMF African Blackwood Vérité Open headphones, which I’m absolutely smitten with. I’d been saving up for ages and am still discovering their many charms.

Very nice writeup thanks for sharing! You've definitely got me curious to hear the Soraniks.

The Odin was an interesting case for me-- it was engaging but almost to the point of being invasive. The bass & detail was incredible but the upper mids being lifted up so high-- presumably at least in part to highlight the bass and bring detail to the forefront-- ultimately felt a little unnatural and clinical to me at times. Like seeing your music spread out before you like this:

iu-8.jpeg

As with all things YMMV.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back