The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 26, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #8,432 of 89,167
To stick it to EE. Very sad.
I thought the same but this is a budget version of there original Mest. EVO is TOTL. I wish we knew more but it’s all speculation at this point and to point the finger would be a bit unfair on either side although I wish UM would be more upfront instead of being blatantly weird and unprofessional about it, regardless who had the tech first because bone conduction is nothing new in the industry and if they want to make copycat memes they should also include the other manufactures using BCD. It’s silly and I just wish they could keep it healthy because competition is healthy, period. We do not need a monopolization of a driver tech because if that were to happen the hobby would grow increasingly stale instead of increasingly beneficial to the buyers and hobbyists. I hope @UniqueMelody is reading this because this fan is disappointed in the actions. Say something UM! And make it constructive! Not bullying a competitor!

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #8,433 of 89,167
I thought the same but this is a budget version of there original Mest. EVO is TOTL. I wish we knew more but it’s all speculation at this point and to point the finger would be a bit unfair on either side although I wish UM would be more upfront instead of being blatantly weird and unprofessional about it, regardless who had the tech first because bone conduction is nothing new in the industry and if they want to make copycat memes they should also include the other manufactures using BCD. It’s silly and I just wish they could keep it healthy because competition is healthy, period. We do not need a monopolization of a driver tech because if that were to happen the hobby would grow increasingly stale instead of increasingly beneficial to the buyers and hobbyists. I hope @UniqueMelody is reading this because your fans are disappointed in the actions. Say something UM! And make it constructive! Not bullying a competitor!
I hope I was not too harsh here but this has been on my mind for some time and being a UM fan I would love to hear from them about this. ✌🏼❤️

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #8,434 of 89,167
5C80D1E6-ED8C-4899-AC9E-1B49807AC07F.jpeg9A577629-FF87-4D5A-8557-C476341D1BBF.png

This is the closest I have to a pet. Just recently got it to feed from my hand. He/she has been coming around for a few weeks now; follows me around my yard as well. I love that there is no “off-topic” in this thread.
Had so much fun playing with my Christmas present (not really a Christmas present; it just happened to be delivered yesterday). Below is the end result of my “playtime” today. Can anyone guess what it is? Hint, it’s not audio related. Duo pic included for reference.BF64703A-1338-4B74-B1EF-9B7EE041AEDA.jpegE797AC2F-1D0A-48F1-B0A2-0DDED856FE24.jpeg
A good reminder that sometimes it’s the simple things that bring the greatest joy. Hope everyone had a happy Holiday! :upside_down:

What happened to the pigeon @rantng :astonished:

Dec 26, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #8,435 of 89,167
Merry Christmas everyone :) I wish you all happy holidays, cozy listening, and loads of fun!

p.s. I just bought a Spaceship this Christmas! And for $20 too (link)

taken-1640512614384.jpg

taken-1640512678050.jpg

taken-1640512860581.jpg

When it comes to value, this is perhaps the best purchase I've made so far :) Really happy with the sound. Ridiculously good price

6mm single DD, highly coherent addictive inoffensive sound, that is accurate tonally with nice natural DD timbre. Proper weight below, and smooth transitioning up top. Delicate and precise in its lower-treble, and punchy mid-bass, both blending well into the mids without tilting the sound to any part causing imbalance. The Spaceship is my current DD delight! :) I like it as much as my favourite hybrid. With Spaceship you lose some reach into the sub-bass down low, and up top some extension into the upper-treble. But in return, you get what a hybrid can't offer, that is a pure coherency in the mids and smoother transitioning from the bass to lower-mids, and upper-mids to treble. Plus it also offers what most 10mm DD can't, that is a gentler execution and nimbler touch in the treble quality. It makes for a pleasant mids, and vocals sound

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #8,437 of 89,167
Here is one that is just as much of a shock for money than the 7hz Timeless and maybe more... now that's it's fully burned in I can say, Penon has done something quite amazing with its triple DD the Serial... running them with Go Blu I am reminded how well tuned DD are something special... I haven't heard many multi DD setup such as this... coherency is excellent and you don't hear anything funky it sounds like a single DD but nothing like a 300$ IEM. The Orb was already my personal favorite in that price tier, but the Serial is much more impressive technically.

IMG_7457.jpg

I need some time with those but the bass is simply one of the best I have heard regardless of the price, this is even more special plugged to M17 but Go Blu does a superb job with them already. It slams hard when called for but it's not a bassy IEM in the sense that it has overly prominent and permanent bass presence. Control is excellent with Go Blu and reaches heights with the M17 I didn't think would be possible, with very good speed as well. But it doesn't stop there, mids are full and smooth true to Penon house sound but also very articulate with excellent separation and a surprisingly accurate timbre. Upper mids are safe some might be left wishing a tad more bite. Up top things are interesting as well... DD sure can keep up with other tech and having a dedicated driver works wonder to my ears. Treble tone is something that is hard to nail down and it always sounds even the slightly bit skewed in one direction or another. This stands out on the Serial, to my ears it's spot on and a very balanced treble. I could see people having issue with lower treble energy although for me it's still safe, on M17 it was quite a bit more energetic than the Go Blu that smoothens it on the Serial. On some track I was right to the edge of my personal sensitivity.

Stage is quite big too, not the widest but height and depth are superb and it's very holographic and immersive. Overall the Serial is of the engaging kind and it's quite versatile, while it features basshead level bass with audiophile grade proficiency it's much more than that and then some. Color me impressed! When you go ahead and pick up an IEM like the Serial just right after the EXT and you're having fun and impressed with its bass, something is happening for sure... Obviously you don't get that extra refinement of the flagships but heck for 300$ you're getting much much closer when you plug it into a better source (yes, it scales!) and I must say I am happy to see products such as this one on a market that has gone nuts in the upper tier.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #8,438 of 89,167
Here is one that is just as much of a shock for money than the 7hz Timeless and maybe more... now that's it's fully burned in I can say, Penon Serial has done something quite amazing with its triple DD... running them with Go Blu I am reminded how well tuned DD are something special... I haven't heard many multi DD setup such as this... coherency is excellent and you don't hear anything funky it sounds like a single DD but nothing like a 300$ IEM. The Orb was already my personal favorite in that price tier, but the Serial is much more impressive technically.

IMG_7457.jpg
I need some time with those but the bass is simply one of the best I have heard regardless of the price, this is even more special plugged to M17 but Go Blu does a superb job with them already. It slams hard when called for but it's not a bassy IEM in the sense that it has overly prominent and permanent bass presence. Control is excellent with Go Blu and reaches heights with the M17 I didn't think would be possible, with very good speed as well. But it doesn't stop there, mids are full and smooth true to Penon house sound but also very articulate with excellent separation and a surprisingly accurate timbre. Upper mids are safe some might be left wishing a tad more bite. Up top things are interesting as well... DD sure can keep up with other tech and having a dedicated driver works wonder to my ears. Treble tone is something that is hard to nail down and it always sounds even the slightly bit skewed in one direction or another. This stands out on the Serial, to my ears it's spot on and a very balanced treble. I could see people having issue with lower treble energy although for me it's still safe, on M17 it was quite a bit more energetic than the Go Blu that smoothens it on the Serial. On some track I was right to the edge of my personal sensitivity.

Stage is quite big too, not the widest but height and depth are superb and it's very holographic and immersive. Overall the Serial is of the engaging kind and it's quite versatile, while it features basshead level bass with audiophile grade proficiency it's much more than that and then some. Color me impressed! When you go ahead and pick up an IEM like the Serial just right after the EXT and you're having fun and impressed with its bass, something is happening for sure... Obviously you don't get that extra refinement of the flagships but heck for 300$ you're getting much much closer when you plug it into a better source (yes, it scales!) and I must say I am happy to see products such as this one on a market that has gone nuts in the upper tier.
Wow looks a bargain and should be an iem I’d love, did you try it with RS6?

Dec 26, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #8,439 of 89,167
Possibly my last delivery of 2021 arrived on Christmas eve - an exciting pack of cleaning cloths to address my OCD needs to have DAP screens clean at all times and a 4.4mm cable for Gryphon - which might actually land before year end. The cable is actually quite nice, well built for less than $20 on Amazon - I might upgrade to the iFi cable at some point but will see how this goes.

Edit: I noticed after I posted this that my phone autocorrected from Gryphon to Graphene... funny to see this representation of my recently used words!

20211224_143924.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 26, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #8,440 of 89,167
Wow looks a bargain and should be an iem I’d love, did you try it with RS6?
Not yet but will do and report before I put the classified up today for RS6

Dec 26, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #8,441 of 89,167
Not yet but will do and report before I put the classified up today for RS6

I have Serial ordered but it hadn't shipped yet and I was debating cancelling and upgrading to something else from Penon - going to stick with it now on the basis of your impressions, seems a good place for me to dip my toe in with Penon IEMs.

Linsoul shipped Timeless already, I'd expect that now by Wednesday hopefully!

Dec 26, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #8,442 of 89,167
What happened to the pigeon @rantng :astonished:

Wow, never seen a pigeon wool before.

But yeh, not everyone goes for turkey on Christmas
Lol, I didn’t even realize the coloring was the same! The pigeon is fine I hope. I haven’t seen it since Thursday, but it has been cold and wet these past few days. The lint is actually from a quilt and beanie, the new rechargeable lint shaver I bought is amazing.

Dec 26, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #8,443 of 89,167
Rock's Top Ten IEMs - Heading into 2022 edition

1) Oriolus Traillii

If any IEM in 2021 needs no introduction it's this one. As noteworthy for its price as for the significant majority who heard it only to report that its sound lives up to its exorbitant cost. Unique among my recent favorites in that it lacks a DD anywhere within and if I'm being honest that lack would probably prove to be a deal breaker for me in the long term were I ever to own one however the fact remains that the bird is singularly unique in its capacity to instantly and fully immerse me in a fully rendered vast 3d soundscape. The most technically accomplished and best tuned IEM I've ever heard.

2) Vision Ears Elysium

The IEM that introduced me to the joys of a dynamic driven midrange. Easily among the most natural sounding IEMs and possibly still the best treble I've ever heard.

3) Dunu Zen Pro

My current bae and an IEM whose charms even after two weeks have not fully revealed themselves to me. Beautifully balanced & open midrange, superbly technical & bodied dynamic presentation. Deceptively effective minimalist bass that is always felt if sometimes not quite heard.

4) Campfire Audio Dorado 2020

A controversial choice for sure but as outstanding for its strengths as for its egregious coloration. Profound clarity, deceptively deep resolution, and the most sure footed sound I've ever heard in an IEM. This latter quality and the superlative but too-forward-for-some bass presentation is what keeps me coming back to the Dorodo 2020. It's the perfect IEM to take out and about or when you want to take a nice analogue bubblebath and get lost in the groove. Not the most balanced, not the most normal but hot damn there's nowhere better to turn when you want a bombastic and utterly ballsy fun sounding IEM.

5) 64 Audio Duo

The Jonny Unitas to Dorado's Joe Namath. A stunning performer in its own right. A more consistently forward mid-range than on the Dorado with a sound that isn't as ballsy or sure footed. Impeccable tuning, great bass, greater mids-- a perfect incarnation of 64's peerless tuning relative to my tastes and sensibilities.

6) Oriolus Isabellae

Intimate, natural, impeccable mid-forward tuning with deceptively good bass. The perfect IEM to curl up with when you want to relax at the end of the day.

7) Sony IER Z1R

If you're after peerless sub-bass and treble and are willing to endure a little sacrifice in body & presence in the lower mids & mid-bass then this is the IEM you want.

8) Campfire Audio Solaris OG/SE

My first love and the IEM that introduced me to the joys of a balanced signature. Not quite as technically capable as the IER Z1R but it has my preferred FR.

9) 64 Audio u12t

Heard this the other day and enjoyed it more than I ever have before. I heard 64 tweaked this IEM to make it more musical. Not sure if this is true or not but the u12t is a hell of an IEM and I fully understand the astonished admiration it receives. Still to my ears even the most well tuned all-BA IEMs are a little thin and clinical sounding and as such even a titan like the u12t will find itself ranked below my favorite DD-driven IEMs. I have placed the u12t above the Andromeda 2020 for the first time ever which is a huge statement for me.

10) Campfire Audio Andromeda 2020

Possibly still my favorite combination of technical and fun and my number one rec for anyone knowing nothing of their tastes and preferences. The Andromeda is a long standing classic that deserves every ounce of its enduring reputation.

Honorary mention:

7HZ Timeless

An IEM that does so much right but still has a few kinks to work out and ultimately to me feels more like a prototype of something truly great to come than a complete and polished product. If they can produce a planar IEM this well tuned but with a little more polish, better build quality etc. it could completely re-define the market. Something to watch.

In other news here is a beautiful shot of a wintery BC coastline as I ferry back home to Vancouver Island.

5B1B167A-BE15-43F6-B5CC-009DAB6C1C94.JPEG

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #8,444 of 89,167
Rock's Top Ten IEMs - Heading into 2022 edition

1) Oriolus Traillii

If any IEM in 2021 needs no introduction it's this one. As noteworthy for its price as for the significant majority who heard it only to report that its sound lives up to its exorbitant cost. Unique among my recent favorites in that it lacks a DD anywhere within and if I'm being honest that lack would probably prove to be a deal breaker for me in the long term were I ever to own one however the fact remains that the bird is singularly unique in its capacity to instantly and fully immerse me in a fully rendered vast 3d soundscape. The most technically accomplished and best tuned IEM I've ever heard.

2) Vision Ears Elysium

The IEM that introduced me to the joys of a dynamic driven midrange. Easily among the most natural sounding IEMs and possibly still the best treble I've ever heard.

3) Dunu Zen Pro

My current bae and an IEM whose charms even after two weeks have not fully revealed themselves to me. Beautiful balanced, open midrange, superbly technical & bodied dynamic presentation. Deceptively effective minimalist bass presentation that is always felt if sometimes not quite heard.

4) Campfire Audio Dorado 2020

A controversial choice for sure but as outstanding for its strengths as for its egregious coloration. Profound clarity, deceptively deep resolution, and the most sure footed sound I've ever heard in an IEM. This latter quality and the superlative but too-forward-for-some bass presentation is what keeps me coming back to the Dorodo 2020. It's the perfect IEM to take out and about or when you want to take a nice analogue bubblebath and get lost in the groove. Not the most balanced, not the most normal but hot damn there's nowhere better to turn when you want a bombastic and utterly ballsy fun sounding IEM.

5) 64 Audio Duo

The Jonny Unitas to Dorado's Joe Namath. A stunning performer in its own right. A more consistently forward mid-range than on the Dorado with a sound that isn't as ballsy or full. Impeccable tuning, great bass-- a perfect incarnation of 64's peerless tuning relative to my tastes and sensibilities.

6) Oriolus Isabella

Intimate, natural, impeccable mid-forward tuning with deceptively good bass. The perfect IEM to curl up with when you want to relax at the end of the day.

7) Sony IER Z1R

If you're after peerless sub-bass and treble and are willing to endure a little sacrifice in body & presence in the lower mids & mid-bass then this is the IEM you want.

8) Campfire Audio Solaris OG/SE

My first love and the IEM that introduced me to the joys of a balanced signature. Not quite as technically capable as the IER Z1R but it has my preferred FR.

9) 64 Audio u12t

Heard this the other day and enjoyed it more than I ever have before. I heard 64 tweaked this IEM to make it more musical. Not sure if this is true or not but the u12t is a hell of an IEM and I fully understand the astonished admiration it receives. Still to my ears even the most well tuned all-BA IEMs are a little thin and clinical sounding and as such even a titan like the u12t will find itself ranked below my favorite DD-driven IEMs. I have placed the u12t above the Andromeda 2020 for the first time ever which is a huge statement for me.

10) Campfire Audio Andromeda 2020

Possibly still my favorite combination of technical and fun and my number one rec for anyone knowing nothing of their tastes and preferences. The Andromeda is a long standing classic that deserves every ounce of its enduring reputation.

Honorary mention:

7HZ Timeless

An IEM that does so much right but still has a few kinks to work out and ultimately to me feels more like a prototype of something truly great to come more than a complete and polished product. If they can produce a planar IEM this well tuned but with a little more polish, better build quality etc. it could completely re-define the market. Something to watch.

In other news here is a beautiful shot of a wintery BC coastline as I ferry back home to Vancouver Island.

5B1B167A-BE15-43F6-B5CC-009DAB6C1C94.JPEG
So IE900 didn't make the top 10 cut. Was it due to its recessed mids?

Dec 26, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #8,445 of 89,167
So IE900 didn't make the top 10 cut. Was it due to its recessed mids?

Yes plus I really only managed a brief demo. Every IEM on that list I either own, owned or had lengthy or multiple demos. IE900 seems to me to be primarily a bass & treble head IEM.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back