The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 22, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #7,966 of 87,617
A/B testing them against Oriolus Isabellae and ISA wins by a lot. Bass quality, transients and timbre are far better with Isabellae.

The reason I am A/B testing with Isa is because I thought I heard them before. I thought maybe it sounded like the IER-M9, but I compared the graphs and the Timeless is closer to the Isa with more subbass. But, they don't sound alike at all.

A/B tested it against the IER-M9. Not even close. M9 is way better.

The 7hz timeless is great for a $200 IEM. It has great and pleasant tuning, but it does not have any punch and slam which ironically is the same problem that planar headphones have. Great clarity in the mids and non-harsh treble.

I've heard enough. I am sending them back.

Isabellae vs Timeless.png
What's your return window? Hook em up to a source and let them run for a week then come back then decide. That would be my suggestion to you. Planars do benefit from extended playtime, I've danced with many and Timeless is no exception. If you have the luxury of time, give it a try you my just surprise yourself. These things peak at at about 150 hours

Dec 22, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #7,968 of 87,617
Gents...

May I politely point at your joint responsibility for tonight?

33 to go. Do it!

drftr

What’s happening?

Dec 22, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #7,970 of 87,617
What's your return window? Hook em up to a source and let them run for a week then come back then decide. That would be my suggestion to you. Planars do benefit from extended playtime, I've danced with many and Timeless is no exception. If you have the luxury of time, give it a try you my just surprise yourself. These things peak at at about 150 hours
You have a good point. Let me try that. Maybe the bass will open up and it will sound a lot better after burn in.

Dec 22, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #7,971 of 87,617
Since we’re trying to make 8000 here are some photo highlights from my vault.

n6ii + IER Z1R
E7D45C4E-6C5B-4CE0-9A47-0E91F8A7EA16.jpeg

u12t
21EFDACD-EC35-41D9-82D0-9EC086B4B881.jpeg

Legend X
A3769975-E12A-4D39-920F-66D78DA697A9.jpeg

Picture of an eagle a friend took.
E5A859E7-2A43-4ECD-B0A5-848DD5FF268C.jpeg

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #7,972 of 87,617
Thanks @tgx78 for lending me Odin, which have been a blast.

I thought I would leave an impression here, and for disclosure; I am by no mean a guru but a fellow hobbyist that enjoy listening some audio gears.

Listening to Odin for past few days have been a rollercoaster of an experience for me.
At first, Odin was like a godsend IEM from heaven that showed me what nude angels may look like, it did everything perfect and the music felt so good, but my honeymoon had only lasted just measly few hours and learned that angels were wearing a thick coat.

From my initial impression, Odin’s high resolution at Mid range was an eye opener for me. The electric guitars rifts on modern rock songs were very detailed and presented so very clear, but this seems to be originated from EE’s boosted 1k-2k FR tuning, where person’s subjective preference comes to play. For me, I can enjoy this tuning on a non-vocal tracks however… anything vocal related, I find the it bit off tuned when comparing from likes of Monarch MK2 or U12T and somehow it bothers me on occasional sessions. Aside from this tuning, the sheer resolution at mid range was impressive and this is also a similar experience for Bass as well. WOW the bass… impressive is the only word that comes to my mind, the clarity mid bass with authoritative subbass was a whole different experience from what IER-Z1R gave me. When listening to Unstoppable - Sia, Odin’s bass was clean presented with its very fast but has strong authoritative punch while Z1R was slower but atmospheric and thick punch on presentation.
For the treble, I personally wish there was more energy, but I would have to assume that it was designed this way to distinguish the distance on upper range instruments and more forwarded mid range instruments.

Overall, Odin seems to be a very spicy IEM and it was my pleasure to have experience what been love by many people.
I been listening it for past few days with minor EQ with the reduction on 1k-2k area and have been a blast since. (No pitch fork on the EQ, please)

On side note, the cable is so damn nice that I would really love to get one… gosh this is probably one of the most comfortable and nice looking cable I have ever tried.

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #7,973 of 87,617

I thought I would leave an impression here, and for disclosure; I am by no mean a guru but a fellow hobbyist that enjoy listening some audio gears.

Listening to Odin for past few days have been a rollercoaster of an experience for me.
At first, Odin was like a godsend IEM from heaven that showed me what nude angels may look like, it did everything perfect and the music felt so good, but my honeymoon had only lasted just measly few hours and learned that angels were wearing a thick coat.

From my initial impression, Odin’s high resolution at Mid range was an eye opener for me. The electric guitars rifts on modern rock songs were very detailed and presented so very clear, but this seems to be originated from EE’s boosted 1k-2k FR tuning, where person’s subjective preference comes to play. For me, I can enjoy this tuning on a non-vocal tracks however… anything vocal related, I find the it bit off tuned when comparing from likes of Monarch MK2 or U12T and somehow it bothers me on occasional sessions. Aside from this tuning, the sheer resolution at mid range was impressive and this is also a similar experience for Bass as well. WOW the bass… impressive is the only word that comes to my mind, the clarity mid bass with authoritative subbass was a whole different experience from what IER-Z1R gave me. When listening to Unstoppable - Sia, Odin’s bass was clean presented with its very fast but has strong authoritative punch while Z1R was slower but atmospheric and thick punch on presentation.
For the treble, I personally wish there was more energy, but I would have to assume that it was designed this way to distinguish the distance on upper range instruments and more forwarded mid range instruments.

Overall, Odin seems to be a very spicy IEM and it was my pleasure to have experience what been love by many people.
I been listening it for past few days with minor EQ with the reduction on 1k-2k area and have been a blast since. (No pitch fork on the EQ, please)

On side note, the cable is so damn nice that I would really love to get one… gosh this is probably one of the most comfortable and nice looking cable I have ever tried.
There are a few of them(stormbreaker cable, aka the Odin cable) in the classified on sale
Check @antdroid and @jwbrent as they are both selling them and both excellent head-fiers :)

Great impressions and thanks so much for sharing. I had similar feelings about Odin. It was a love/hate relationship until I finally sold them…but that bass!!!

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #7,974 of 87,617
The 7hz timeless is great for a $200 IEM. It has great and pleasant tuning, but it does not have any punch and slam which ironically is the same problem that planar headphones have. Great clarity in the mids and non-harsh treble.
Pretty much how I used to describe the LCD-3 against comparable dynamic driver headphones, though the LCD has some serious punch and slam for a planar. I have no love for electrostats however.

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #7,975 of 87,617
There are a few of them(stormbreaker cable, aka the Odin cable) in the classified on sale
Check @antdroid and @jwbrent as they are both selling them and both excellent head-fiers :)

Great impressions and thanks so much for sharing. I had similar feelings about Odin. It was a love/hate relationship until I finally sold them…but that bass!!!
Omg… I guess they were very pleasant to use for a reason… hahaha that price :cry:

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #7,976 of 87,617

Great impressions and very much in line with how I heard them. Probably my favourite cable ever.

Dec 23, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #7,978 of 87,617
Fiio M17 increasingly on my radar - it has the potential to become a 2022 purchase... I've no desire to buy a desktop amp as I move about the house a lot, several listening locations. The idea of a sort of hybrid which M17 appears to be is quite appealing. Further research needed and definitely a few months away - a stretch target for 2022 😁

Dec 23, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #7,979 of 87,617
Fiio M17 increasingly on my radar - it has the potential to become a 2022 purchase... I've no desire to buy a desktop amp as I move about the house a lot, several listening locations. The idea of a sort of hybrid which M17 appears to be is quite appealing. Further research needed and definitely a few months away - a stretch target for 2022 😁
Without wishing to influence you, the M17 makes the ideal counterpart to the N6ii/R01....:beerchug:

Dec 23, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #7,980 of 87,617
I want an M17...with an R2R DAC. Holding out to see what HiBy and Cayin are cooking up for us next year. At that price it's a long-term investment, unlike dime-a-dozen dongles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back