The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 11, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #6,346 of 88,379
Agree AHM least favorite. I am a sucker for Animals my personal favorite.
My love and interest waned after A Momentary Lapse Of Reason. Least favourite from before that would probably be The Final Cut and Ummagumma (although the live part of the album is pretty good!).

drftr

Dec 11, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #6,347 of 88,379
What do you consider Floyd's most underrated album?

My vote goes to The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn.

This album has universal acclaim (seriously, just look at wikipedia) and is always used to showcase what an incredible talent Syd was and could have been if he could have kept it together. It would be hard to rate it higher.

If anything, I feel it's a bit overrated, but I have to remember at the time it came out what a pioneering work it was. It's just obviously very different, raw sound from what people think of w/ Gilmour in the mix.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #6,348 of 88,379
Sort of philosophical question, but I'm curious about the praise that's often attributed to 'budget' FOTM IEMs (BLON, Timeless, etc.). Let's take the Timeless for example, just because its current. For those that own it/heard it, would you say it's:

1. Great at any price
2. Great for the price
3. Great for twice the price
4. Great for $1000

Put another way, if you had $1000, $2000 or $3000 to spend on only one IEM, would you still buy it?

Just musing while I pass the time.

PS. Feel free to use other 'budget' IEMs in your reply.
Sorry for the late response to this…. For me it’s #1

I say that because, it gives me music the way I want to be engaged and to me that is priceless IMO and it’s definitely a humble and subjective opinion.

Timeless compels me too close my eyes and stop what I’m doing and just sink in.

U12T did not do that for me. It was exciting sure but did not allow me to sink in hence my previous post about selling it due to having Timeless.

Dec 11, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #6,349 of 88,379
Dec 11, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #6,350 of 88,379
Sorry for the late response to this…. For me it’s #1

I say that because, it gives me music the way I want to be engaged and to me that is priceless IMO and it’s definitely a humble and subjective opinion.

Timeless compels me too close my eyes and stop what I’m doing and just sink in.

U12T did not do that for me. It was exciting sure but did not allow me to sink in hence my previous post about selling it due to having Timeless.

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 9.15.56 AM.png

Excellent :)

Dec 11, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #6,351 of 88,379
This album has universal acclaim (seriously, just look at wikipedia) and is always used to showcase what an incredible talent Syd was and could have been if he could have kept it together. It would be hard to rate it higher.

If anything, I feel it's a bit overrated, but I have to remember at the time it came out what a pioneering work it was. It's just obviously very different, raw sound from what people think of w/ Gilmour in the mix.
Sorry, I was referring to people who do nothing but review music, think ten thousands of albums. Robert Christgau and the like (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Christgau); critics who truly have an excellent taste and show love for the weird and dank corners of popular music and cross-over genres. An example is his ranking for Atom Heart Mother:

Pink Floyd: Atom Heart Mother (Harvest, 1970) Believe it or not, the, er, suite on the first side is easier to take than the, gawd, songs on the second. Yeah, they do leave the singing to an anonymous semi-classical chorus, and yeah, they probably did get the horns for the fanfares at the same hiring hall. But at least the suite provides a few of the hypnotic melodies that made Ummagumma such an admirable record to fall asleep to. D+

And then from the explanation of the ratings in his books:

A D+ is an appalling piece of pimpwork or a thoroughly botched token of sincerity

drftr

Dec 11, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #6,352 of 88,379

Sharing this again as, while Fearless is great, this version of this track is much less well known and probably my all time favorite Floyd. It absolutely rocks.
Edit: When the bass guitar kicks in at 7:30, and the ensuing guitar solo as the camera pans past the amp stacks with "Pink Floyd London" written on them...absolutely freakin' epic. Floyd has never rocked harder.

Photos below from my visit to Italy and day in Pompeii a few weeks ago. An incredible place, fascinating to hear more on the history and mind blowing how big the place is - massive city where over 2,000 years ago stood shops, bars, sophisticated drainage, streets with one-way systems for carts. Honestly one of the most fascinating places I've ever seen. Apparently only two thirds of it has been dug out and excavated, it'll take almost another 100 years to finish. Apparently the day before Vesuvius erupted, there were warning signs and while many left the city, quite a few chose to stay and the rest is indeed history.

Oh and love Pink Floyd Live in Pompeii, treasured DVD in my collection that I've watched many times, often in various states of consciousness many moons ago...

20211021_132606.jpg

POMPEI.jpg

Pompeii-street.jpg

Pompei6.jpg

Pompei3.jpg

Dec 11, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #6,353 of 88,379
Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 9.15.56 AM.png

Excellent :)
Yes, I transferred my deposit of first times to my second bird purchase…will be some time before I can get it paid off. But it WILL be back! Hah!

If you posed the question, “What is your biggest regret in this hobby of 2021?”

My answer is a resounding, The day I sold Traillii.

Dec 11, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #6,354 of 88,379

And than there is The Madcap Laughs gets a listen every couple years. Like peering into the mind of someone so close to the edge of falling into the abyss, still kind of joyful, in song simplicity.

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #6,358 of 88,379
Photos below from my visit to Italy and day in Pompeii a few weeks ago. An incredible place, fascinating to hear more on the history and mind blowing how big the place is - massive city where over 2,000 years ago stood shops, bars, sophisticated drainage, streets with one-way systems for carts. Honestly one of the most fascinating places I've ever seen. Apparently only two thirds of it has been dug out and excavated, it'll take almost another 100 years to finish. Apparently the day before Vesuvius erupted, there were warning signs and while many left the city, quite a few chose to stay and the rest is indeed history.

Oh and love Pink Floyd Live in Pompeii, treasured DVD in my collection that I've watched many times, often in various states of consciousness many moons ago...

Epic! One of my favorite historical "artifacts" is some of the graffiti from the city walls they uncovered in Pompeii that was perfectly preserved by the lava. It's hilarious and goes a long way to humanizing this ancient people and showing how they're no fundamentally different than us:

It's documented here.

Some favorites:

"Restituta, take off your tunic, please, and show us your hairy privates".
"Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men's behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!"
"Floronius, privileged soldier of the 7th legion, was here. The women did not know of his presence. Only six women came to know, too few for such a stallion."

Etc.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #6,359 of 88,379
Epic! One of my favorite historical "artifacts" is some of the graffiti from the city walls they uncovered in Pompeii that was perfectly preserved by the lava. It's hilarious and goes a long way to humanizing this ancient people and showing how they're no fundamentally different than us:

It's documented here.

Some favorites:

"Restituta, take off your tunic, please, and show us your hairy privates".
"Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men's behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!"
"Floronius, privileged soldier of the 7th legion, was here. The women did not know of his presence. Only six women came to know, too few for such a stallion."

Etc.

Yes indeed - and phallic symbols on walls as below. Our guide explained how that was more a good luck sign than anything to do with the brothels. The 2nd shot below though is from inside a brothel. The 3rd from what was a very wealthy Roman home, the mural on the ground at the entrance warning people of the guard dog.

Pomp1.jpg

Pompbroth.jpg

Pompdog.jpg

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #6,360 of 88,379
Yes indeed - and phallic symbols on walls as below. Our guide explained how that was more a good luck sign than anything to do with the brothels. The 2nd shot below though is from inside a brothel. The 3rd from what was a very wealthy Roman home, the mural on the ground at the entrance warning people of the guard dog.

Pomp1.jpg

Pompbroth.jpg

Pompdog.jpg
Beautiful mosaic! Reminds me of the incredible Roman mosaics I saw in Syria that managed to survive for 2 millennia but possibly not the past few years of what we still seem to consider "civilisation" :frowning2:

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back