The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 1, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #5,447 of 88,941
That song “Island” by Seven Lions sort of caused a mini ruckus when I posted about the Legend Evo not being able to “handle” it well… just to back up my own case about how much I dislike IEMs that can’t play it to a level I enjoy… it’s been one of my top played tracks since 2019 or so. 😂 That 1000 times is for 2021 alone 🤦🏽‍♂️

F1B4948D-4BAB-46C2-80FE-91F7C1A2D6AC.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #5,448 of 88,941
This is why I've been enjoying the variety of dongles coming out these days. A pretty inexpensive way to have access to a good variety of sources with different tunings. My eyes are on that new Cayin R2R dongle 👀
I just bought that, too. It's coming with the MEST Indigo.

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #5,449 of 88,941
These are an interesting beast - I can certainly hear what I saw in the frequency differences to IE900; sub bass doesn't go quite as low, mid bass a bit more upfront... mids more vibrant - I briefly felt treble was harsh earlier but a switch from stock to the trusty AET07 (thanks yet again @gLer ) resolved that.

One of the initial standout attributes is timbre, its stunning - I'm mostly loading up jazz, acoustic, vocals etc as they are so wonderfully rendered. Lots of detail in a wide soundstage and I'm intrigued how I can zoom in on specifics or zoom out on the cohesive whole - like holding a pen in front of your eyes and focusing on it, then adjusting focus to wider view around you. Early sense is they certainly complement IE900 very well.

Anyway, more to come but I've my happy ears on and loving these first sessions with Dark Sky.

20211201_171806.jpg

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #5,450 of 88,941
I ordered MKII from headphones.com; should have them tomorrow (I paid for 2nd day air via UPS).
I made the mistake of buying it from Linsoul since Headphones.com had it on preorder when I ordered it.

Dec 1, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #5,451 of 88,941
I made the mistake of buying it from Linsoul since Headphones.com had it on preorder when I ordered it.
Very anxious to hear impressions, its high up on my radar!

Dec 1, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #5,452 of 88,941
Sorry for the cross posting but shared my EXT impression on the VE thread :)

Bottom line... I am in love!
how is the soundstage? that was the one downfall of the elysium for me that led me to sell it

Dec 1, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #5,453 of 88,941
I had the 7Hz Timeless for audition a few weeks back. Due to some personal problems it took time for me to write down my impressions, but well, here it is:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/7hertz-timeless.25394/review/27416/

Have a read please, and let me know if your impressions aligns with mine. I loved it, but it's a touch too bright for my taste, whereas I already prefer bright sound.

tM_GGjD3-TZeYZMwk9loVXgqUd6k_yQSvbFb5Es0lpJQ6-WtvISYkulWoHHGlNuWEJV5lnN-ZUuRPWx1pwsQG1gkkfDIRlRDsKLw4EVvfm8gzRZ5qoLWConTiXphtc2JcRT9x_gh

Dec 1, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #5,454 of 88,941
That song “Island” by Seven Lions sort of caused a mini ruckus when I posted about the Legend Evo not being able to “handle” it well… just to back up my own case about how much I dislike IEMs that can’t play it to a level I enjoy… it’s been one of my top played tracks since 2019 or so. 😂 That 1000 times is for 2021 alone 🤦🏽‍♂️

Best post I’ve seen in a while.

Dec 1, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #5,455 of 88,941
Sad day, as I wasn't able to pull off my anticipated Bird deal by selling the PW Audio 1960s 4-wire straight out of the box with the help of a well respected member 😫

drftr (could've been / would've been / should've been twtchr...)

Dec 1, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #5,456 of 88,941
how is the soundstage? that was the one downfall of the elysium for me that led me to sell it

Fairly similar with maybe a touch more width for the OG Elysium, you gain more depth and height though so I feel it's pretty good but if you aim for the biggest soundstage might not be for you

Dec 1, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #5,457 of 88,941
Fairly similar with maybe a touch more width for the OG Elysium, you gain more depth and height though so I feel it's pretty good but if you aim for the biggest soundstage might not be for you
thx, i've been spoiled by wide soundstage of oriolus!

Dec 1, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #5,458 of 88,941
Sorry for the cross posting but shared my EXT impression on the VE thread :)

Bottom line... I am in love!
So many great IEMs out there right now. Can't wait to hear this one myself.

Dec 1, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #5,459 of 88,941
I know everyone will agree with you on this one but for me it's the one thing NOT to do. I consider this in the same book as EQ, and knowing myself I would start studying which album would need which DAC, which cable, and which EQ-ing to make it sound best. As a result I will turn into a technical listener, because I know I LOVE to do exactly this: Optimizing. Then I will start doing this optimalization for my almost 5,000 albums and on the day I finish and can finally focus on music again, I will die.

drftr
+1. Less, not more. I find the more gear choices I have, the less I enjoy the music. Instead of enjoying a track as-is, I end up wondering how it would sound out of this or that IEM. Throw more sources into the mix and it becomes one big puzzle. Not for me.

You're a special sort of masochist 😝
I briefly felt treble was harsh earlier but a switch from stock to the trusty AET07 (thanks yet again @gLer ) resolved that.
Ah, AET07, the gift that keeps on giving. They should really be standard issue with every IEM.

Dec 1, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #5,460 of 88,941
+1. Less, not more. I find the more gear choices I have, the less I enjoy the music. Instead of enjoying a track as-is, I end up wondering how it would sound out of this or that IEM. Throw more sources into the mix and it becomes one big puzzle. Not for me.
Not for me. I want one of everything. Just today, I got my Mojo/Poly out again and played it with EVO. Wow, it sounds great. I did it because I picked up an R3 Pro on Black Friday and paired it with the Mojo. It sounded okay, but the user interface totally sucks. And so, I decided to pair the R6 2020 with the Mojo and I have a new source combination for listening to music. Returning the R3 Pro later this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back